Are we SURE we want Jason Taylor???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brackula. Show Brackula's posts

Are we SURE we want Jason Taylor???

We've heard a few comments about the Quantum Leap that is possible in Year 2, but perhaps not nearly enough!

With both Shawn Crable and Vince Redd ~ both of whom are precisely the 6'4"+ behemoths that Coach Bill favors ~ launching into Year 2 ~ a time when you've got the system down, and can now focus ALL your energy on execution; on letting your natural skills RIP!! ~ I strongly suspect that we are gonna forget Taylor's NAME, by mid September!

Crable and Redd ~ and Woods, for that matter ~ have a FRACTION of the miles that Taylor's accumulated over the many, many years...and do we REALLY think a Defensive End can switch to Outside LineBacker after a DECADE...and be effective???

As for the fears of last year's limp Rush reappearing?

It cannot be overstated how IMMENSE an impact on our Pass Rush...will be the SEISMIC improvement in our Secondary! With Wihlite and Wheatley also entering that potentially explosive second year, it is VERY possible ~ indeed: likely! ~ that Hobbs ~ our #1 Corner, last year, Jesus wept ~ would've been our 6th best Corner, this year!

THAT...is what you call VAST improvement.

And with Sanders and Merriweather both a year older and wiser, it is very reasonable to expect that they, too, will make substantial strides. And Chung could make a big impact IMMEDIATELY.

NOTHING impacts the performance of a Pass Rush quite like a VASTLY superior Secondary!

And when you consider that we can expect to get a full year out'f Thomas, and that Woods and Colvin now look to be our 4th and 5th OLB's ~ and that's assuming that Woods ~ who is also a beast, and is, currently, the consensus starter ~ doesn't, at last, put it all together, and rip it up, this year! ~ who NEEDS Taylor???

When older Vets have made an impact on our Fortunes, ere the last 9 years ~ and with Coach Bill I, in the 90's, for that matter ~ they've been guys of exceptional fire and heart...Guys like Bryan Cox, Dave Meggett, and, yes: Rodney Harrison.

Taylor? Well...A very talented fellow, yes...

But is anybody else getting a Prima Donna vibe, here?

Frankly, I think he'd just get in the way.

And I can't help thinking that Edyta Sliwinska would agree! Surprised

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Re: Are we SURE we want Jason Taylor???

it still wouldnt hurt to have a good veteran in the line-up.even if he dosent start.just in case these second year players turn out to be another woods,or alexander.rather it be JT,or big willie,or derrick brooks.any of these three guys are lunch pail type of guys.who will give there all,and teach the young guys,and fill in if needed.yes guyton,or crable could end up great,but yes they also could be average at best.to many ifs in the land of the unknowing.better safe then sorry.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brackula. Show Brackula's posts

[QUOTE]it still wouldnt hurt to have a good veteran in the line-up.even if he dosent start.just in case these so called second year players turn out to be another woods,or alexander.rather it be JT,or big willie,or derrick brooks.any of these three guys are lunch pail type of guys.who will give there all,and teach the young guys,and fill in if needed.
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]

I strongly agree with you on the need for Lunch Pail Guys, as you put it: The Meggetts, and Coxes, and Phifers, and Harrisons, as I put it...And I agree that Brooks would fit that description. Indeed, if he's still got a few miles left, I wouldn't mind him joining us, at all...

I'm actually a LOT more concerned about ILB. Teddy Ice Cold Bruschi is absolutely DONE. Coming off the bench, I love'im. In the starting lineup, I'm CRINGING.

A lack of speed at LB, more than anything else, is what's cost us dearly, ere the last 4 years.

I worship at the alter of Bruschi and Vrabel. But I PRAYED that we jettison and/or demote them BOTH...Moving Vrabel to KC was a LOT smarter than Coach Bill is given credit for!

And that leaves us with Mayo and Guyton. Guyton I LOVE...But I'm not sure if he's a 3 Downer. McKenzie is gonna be a guy I think we love, just like Ice Cold Teddy, himself...But his status is utterly uncertain, and I am VERY concerned.

I tell you: I would LOVE to see us swoop in an steal Foote, but he's as good as signed with the Lions...Ah! It just came across: They signed him.

So, yeah: VERY concerned. Even WITH McKenzie, I'd really like to see us get one more real weapon at ILB...

And, indeed: One more at OLB. I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Jason Hunter.

In any case, I'll rest easier if Coach Bill sifts through the scraps that show up over the next 16 weeks and get us a nice, solid contributor or 3!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

It wouldn't hurt at all, at worst we can sign much as they did with Lynch a couple (last year?) ago and he didn't work out in the line-up and was released.  If Taylor comes in and doesn't work out he'll be released but lets at least take a look at the guy in pre-season workout.  He can teach our guys and bring that vet presence we now lack.

Funny, for the last few years all we've heard is how old LBs are now is we are really young and need some vets.  BB has done a great job getting young in a very short time but I think we could have kept or brought in a vet to be there as a mentor.  Why not a guy that has been dominant for years specially against us.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brackula. Show Brackula's posts

[QUOTE]It wouldn't hurt at all, at worst we can sign much as they did with Lynch a couple (last year?) ago and he didn't work out in the line-up and was released.  If Taylor comes in and doesn't work out he'll be released but lets at least take a look at the guy in pre-season workout.  He can teach our guys and bring that vet presence we now lack. Funny, for the last few years all we've heard is how old LBs are now is we are really young and need some vets.  BB has done a great job getting young in a very short time but I think we could have kept or brought in a vet to be there as a mentor.  Why not a guy that has been dominant for years specially against us.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

MIND you: you can be sure I won't burst into tears, if I learn we signed the guy!

Such a move would tell me that Coach Bill saw something I didn't. And that's sure's hell good enough for ME.

I just don't think he's the BEST addition. You need to sign the RIGHT Vets, and THAT, much more than TALENT...is a function of WILL.

Hell, just one year ago, Taylor was only planning on playing...one more year!

So what's changed???

You know what? It doesn't matter. The man's heart is obviously not in it, anymore.

If he was the kind of Dave Meggett/Bryan Cox/Rodney Harrison FOOTBALL PLAYER that would fire up the young guys and help instill the FEROCITY that CHAMPIONSHIPS are made of...would he be screwing around the golf course, the last month or two, while teams vie for his services???

THAT attitude...we do NOT need.

Give me a guy who's HUNGRY...NOT a guy with a severe case of Favreitis!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncommon-sense. Show uncommon-sense's posts

[QUOTE]It wouldn't hurt at all, at worst we can sign much as they did with Lynch a couple (last year?) ago and he didn't work out in the line-up and was released.  If Taylor comes in and doesn't work out he'll be released but lets at least take a look at the guy in pre-season workout.  He can teach our guys and bring that vet presence we now lack. Funny, for the last few years all we've heard is how old LBs are now is we are really young and need some vets.  BB has done a great job getting young in a very short time but I think we could have kept or brought in a vet to be there as a mentor.  Why not a guy that has been dominant for years specially against us.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

Taylor is not going to be signing on the cheap like Lynch did last year. The situations are similar being that they are at the end of their careers but Taylor has other options than just the Pats while no one else wanted to take a chance on Lynch. Taylor won't find the 8 million that he had on the table at the redskins but he'll get at least a 2.5 mill plus a signing bonus. Most likely any team that signs him is stuck with him for at least a year.

I still think we should sign Taylor if possible but the Pats are clearly not his first choice and may not even be his second either. Miami is his first choice and its rumored that Tampa Bay might be his second.

However, I do think that Crable and Redd should be given the first oppurtunites because of the potential to the team if they do develop into play makers.

Crable is different than woods and alexander just looking at draft position alone. I think both woods and alexander were undrafted or 7th rounders and Crable was a 3rd round pick. BB clearly thought that he was worth the selection or he would have passed by him like so many LB's in the draft that people were crying that he didn't draft.

I don't know who said that we don't know how Taylor will perform at OLB, Bro did you forget the season at OLB with Miami when he was the defensive player of the year. He will have no problem with the transition and his experience at OLB was under Nick Saban who runs some similar stuff to BB.

My only concern is developing the younger guys so that they are productive before the last year of their contracts. It stinks when players have breakout years and then leave in FA that same year. Ideally the drafting team should get a couple years of production out of their rookie contracts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

If the price is right for a season with an option for a second why not? He's past his physical prime but he's smart enough to adjust for any loss in speed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]We've heard a few comments about the Quantum Leap that is possible in Year 2, but perhaps not nearly enough! With both Shawn Crable and Vince Redd ~ both of whom are precisely the 6'4"+ behemoths that Coach Bill favors ~ launching into Year 2 ~ a time when you've got the system down, and can now focus ALL your energy on execution; on letting your natural skills RIP!! ~ I strongly suspect that we are gonna forget Taylor's NAME, by mid September! Crable and Redd ~ and Woods, for that matter ~ have a FRACTION of the miles that Taylor's accumulated over the many, many years...and do we REALLY think a Defensive End can switch to Outside LineBacker after a DECADE...and be effective??? As for the fears of last year's limp Rush reappearing? It cannot be overstated how IMMENSE an impact on our Pass Rush...will be the SEISMIC improvement in our Secondary! With Wihlite and Wheatley also entering that potentially explosive second year, it is VERY possible ~ indeed: likely! ~ that Hobbs ~ our #1 Corner, last year, Jesus wept ~ would've been our 6th best Corner , this year! THAT...is what you call VAST improvement. And with Sanders and Merriweather both a year older and wiser, it is very reasonable to expect that they, too, will make substantial strides. And Chung could make a big impact IMMEDIATELY. NOTHING impacts the performance of a Pass Rush quite like a VASTLY superior Secondary! And when you consider that we can expect to get a full year out'f Thomas, and that Woods and Colvin now look to be our 4th and 5th OLB's ~ and that's assuming that Woods ~ who is also a beast, and is, currently, the consensus starter ~ doesn't , at last, put it all together, and rip it up, this year! ~ who NEEDS Taylor??? When older Vets have made an impact on our Fortunes, ere the last 9 years ~ and with Coach Bill I, in the 90's, for that matter ~ they've been guys of exceptional fire and heart...Guys like Bryan Cox, Dave Meggett, and, yes: Rodney Harrison. Taylor? Well...A very talented fellow, yes... But is anybody else getting a Prima Donna vibe, here? Frankly, I think he'd just get in the way. And I can't help thinking that Edyta Sliwinska would agree!
    Posted by Brackula[/QUOTE]

1) Colvin is not on the team.

2) Taylor is better than any of the OLB that we have right now.

3) Taylor has played as OLB in Miami when Saban was there....and he played it very well, making the transition easy from a 4-3 DT to a 3-4 OLB.

4)"NOTHING impacts the performance of a Pass Rush quite like a VASTLY superior Secondary!"  What?  I agree that our secondary has improved on paper, but you have it backwards....your secondary is only as good as your passrush.

5) We need Taylor.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

No one, except BB, really knows how Crable, Redd or Woods will perform at OLB. JT for the right price would be a welcome addition but would't he be a two down OLB at best.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncommon-sense. Show uncommon-sense's posts

JohnHan I think the whole purpose of signing him would be for rushing the passer which basically means he needs to be on the field on third down. Your right none of us know what BB is thinking but even he can't predict how they will perform either or he would never make bad signings deltha oneil or monty beisel.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brackula. Show Brackula's posts

[QUOTE]1) Colvin is not on the team. 2) Taylor is better than any of the OLB that we have right now. 3) Taylor has played as OLB in Miami when Saban was there....and he played it very well, making the transition easy from a 4-3 DT to a 3-4 OLB. 4)"NOTHING impacts the performance of a Pass Rush quite like a VASTLY superior Secondary!"  What?  I agree that our secondary has improved on paper, but you have it backwards....your secondary is only as good as your passrush. 5) We need Taylor.
    Posted by m1020us[/QUOTE]

No, my friend: YOU have it backwards. How many times have you heard the term "Coverage Sack"?''

THANK you.

Of course, one hand certainly washes the other, but the fact that a Secondary can ~ obviously ~ be helped by a good Pass Rush hardly suggests that the opposite isn't JUST as true.

I would've thought that was obvious.

Jason Taylor never started for a full year at OLB, boys. Everybody knows that he was occasionally asked to play the Hybrid role, there, but never as a starter.

But if y'all are arguing that he's exhibited the mental and physical skills to handle the OLB, here, I'd say you're correct, particularly if it's part time, and particularly if it does, indeed, have an Hybrid aspect.

My main point, to reiterate: I simply question his desire.

To your other "points", I'm aware, thank you, that Colvin is not "on the team", anymore than is Rodney Harrison, or have been Junior Seau or Troy Brown, in recent years. But he remains ~ as they did ~ within our "orbit", if you will.

How much he could actually help us is certainly a matter of question, mind you!

And your argument that "Jason Taylor is better than any of the OLB we have right now" is painfully weak...mostly because you didn't MAKE an argument.

If we allow Taylor the privilege of join the fold, this year, we won't be getting the 2006 Jason Taylor.

We'll be getting the 2009 version.

And based on the 2008 version, my friend, your assertion that "Jason Taylor is better than any of the OLB we have right now" falls rather patheticaly flat.

Give me young, strong, fast guys who're cheap, hungry, and on their way up...and complement them with some Vets who truly love this game ~ as Taylor quite evidently does NOT ~ and you've GOT something.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 00chief00. Show 00chief00's posts

Brak, I admire your enthusiasm, but if they can get taylor, they will certainly pursue him. Im not sold on any of the young guys from last years draft (except mayo), as I hardly ever saw any of them on the field. Now all of a sudden they will be superstars because theyt have ONE year under thier belts?
    I'll hold my opinion until I see them play a bit.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brackula. Show Brackula's posts

Ah! Interesting points...

[QUOTE]Taylor is not going to be signing on the cheap like Lynch did last year. The situations are similar being that they are at the end of their careers but Taylor has other options than just the Pats while no one else wanted to take a chance on Lynch. Taylor won't find the 8 million that he had on the table at the redskins but he'll get at least a 2.5 mill plus a signing bonus. Most likely any team that signs him is stuck with him for at least a year. [/QUOTE]

Excellent analysis, sir!

I'm feeling the $2.5 Mill mark, as well! However, I'm more inclined to think we could get away with a more "digestible" 1 year deal, though, simply because Taylor's lost his passion for the work...

[QUOTE]It stinks when players have breakout years and then leave in FA that same year. Ideally the drafting team should get a couple years of production out of their rookie contracts.

Posted by uncommon-sense[/QUOTE]

A very good point! It's REALLY annoying when a Dave Givens, a Damien Woody, or a Dan Graham heads off JUST when they're really getting good. The 4 Year Cap on contracts for post-1st Rounders pisses me OFF. Why not make it 5 Years, like the 1st Rounders, and let teams keep a little COHESION? I think it only BENEFITS the game when you can identify the players with their teams.

Indeed, that's ANOTHER reason for me to hope the Salary Cap gets blown ALL to Hell, a year, hence!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

What, exactly, is the benefit of a year under your belt if that year is spent on IR?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

It can never hurt your team to bring a former defensive player of the year.
    Also he has played OLB before, back when Nick Saben was the head coach of teh phins he was an OLB and he did just fine.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brackula. Show Brackula's posts

[QUOTE]Brak, I admire your enthusiasm, but if they can get taylor, they will certainly pursue him. Im not sold on any of the young guys from last years draft (except mayo), as I hardly ever saw any of them on the field. Now all of a sudden they will be superstars because theyt have ONE year under thier belts? I'll hold my opinion until I see them play a bit.
    Posted by 00chief00[/QUOTE]

~ Ahem! ~

Thanks for the kind words, Bro, but I have to call you on a GROSS distortion!

I never called anyone a "SuperStar", did I, now?

I simply said that I have high hopes for Quantum Leaps from Crable and Redd!

And  I said I'd rather see the likes of THEM on the field, complemented, hopefully, by an hungry Vet or two who values the chance for a Championship more than his acting career! Tongue out

And I never said that Coach Bill wouldn't pursue Taylor.

His admiration for Taylor is well known.

I only said that I hope he doesn't.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsGhost. Show RedsGhost's posts

And your argument that "Jason Taylor is better than any of the OLB we have right now" is painfully weak...mostly because you didn't MAKE an argument.

My main point, to reiterate: I simply question his desire

And YOUR arguement that he lost his desire was where? Exactly, you never made one.
    But, if your plan is to go into the season "hoping" Redd, Guyton, Woods make that "quantum 2nd year leap" without any vet backup (simply because you question his desire) then we understand why your simply writing about the NFL rather than challenging BB for his job.
    And if you don't think JT CAN'T get better than a one year deal, then you my friend are sadly mistaken.
    "nuff said, adios!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brackula. Show Brackula's posts

[QUOTE]If the price is right for a season with an option for a second why not? He's past his physical prime but he's smart enough to adjust for any loss in speed.

"You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders!
    The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia,
    but only slightly less well-known is this:
    Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!"

Posted by Evil2009[/QUOTE]

That's a foolish and utterly unfounded statement.

Genghis Khan won MANY land Wars in Asia! Laughing

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

So you think that Jason Taylor who could just retire and go into acting does not want to play for a championship? He would be a very good fit, and he would work in a rotation with guys liek Crable so they would get playing time as well. If he does not have a desire to win a championship he would just retire so the mere fact that he wants to play another season knowing he could go into acting when ever he wants should tell you that the man wants to win a super bowl before he hangs um up.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brackula. Show Brackula's posts

[QUOTE]And your argument that "Jason Taylor is better than any of the OLB we have right now" is painfully weak...mostly because you didn't MAKE an argument. My main point, to reiterate: I simply question his desire And YOUR arguement that he lost his desire was where? Exactly, you never made one. But, if your plan is to go into the season "hoping" Redd, Guyton, Woods make that "quantum 2nd year leap" without any vet backup (simply because you question his desire) then we understand why your simply writing about the NFL rather than challenging BB for his job. And if you don't think JT CAN'T get better than a one year deal, then you my friend are sadly mistaken. "nuff said, adios!
    Posted by RedsGhost[/QUOTE]

EASY, there, Spaz!

Just because you can't read a post without twisting my words ~ in your ferral mind ~ into an hilarious and inverted distortion of reality is NO reason to launch a frothing, blabbering, snot-bubbling TIRADE! Wink

I've clearly said that I'd welcome a Vet or three, now...HAVEN'T I? Wink

And I've clearly said that I suspected Taylor wouldn't WANT a 2 year deal, now...HAVEN'T I?

You're...not too bright...ARE you, RedsGhost? Wink

Documentation of JT's lack of desire are so vast and sundry as to forego the need for direct reference, except for the celestially oblivious, such as yourself! Surprised

But I'll be happy to instruct you, as it amuses me to do so: Just Google "Jason Taylor", old sport! And you'll be greeted by HUNDREDS of articles about the subject.

It's no secret that ~ as I've already pointed out ~ Taylor was, one short year ago ~ planning on being retired, by now. DONE.

And it's no secret that ~ as I've already pointed out ~ he's been spending the last month or two pondering his options and playing golf, when he's quite obviously ~ based on Kraft's comments ~ got an offer on the table to join the team with the best chance of allowing him to earn a Championship Ring.

So I guess I HAVE made my argument...HAVEN'T I, Francis? Wink

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsGhost. Show RedsGhost's posts

If the price is right for a season with an option for a second why not? He's past his physical prime but he's smart enough to adjust for any loss in speed.

"You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders!
    The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia,
    but only slightly less well-known is this:
    Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!"

Posted by Evil2009

That's a foolish and utterly unfounded statement.

Actually, he makes a great deal of sense. Bruschi is past his physical prime (PLUS has suffered a stroke) but has adapted through his experiences and smarts and there is nothing to say JT couldn't do the exact same in the right system, i.e NE's.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brackula. Show Brackula's posts

[QUOTE]So you think that Jason Taylor who could just retire and go into acting does not want to play for a championship? He would be a very good fit, and he would work in a rotation with guys liek Crable so they would get playing time as well. If he does not have a desire to win a championship he would just retire so the mere fact that he wants to play another season knowing he could go into acting when ever he wants should tell you that the man wants to win a super bowl before he hangs um up.
    Posted by MVPkilla[/QUOTE]

But that's precisely my point, Bro: If Taylor does have the desire to win, why doesn't he do something about it?

Everybody knows he's had an offer on the table for a good while, now, and yet he's holding us up, because he's hoping he can play for the FISH??

I submit that if he was truly dedicated to the Game, he would've JUMPED at the opportunity, a MONTH ago...and would, right now, be working intensely with Crable and Redd to help them craft their games, much like a guy named Randy Moss was, two years ago.

Hey, I'm not putting the guy down. I'm just smelling a strong case of Favreitis, here.

I'd rather have a Vet who WANTS it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]And your argument that "Jason Taylor is better than any of the OLB we have right now" is painfully weak...mostly because you didn't MAKE an argument. My main point, to reiterate: I simply question his desire And YOUR arguement that he lost his desire was where? Exactly, you never made one. But, if your plan is to go into the season "hoping" Redd, Guyton, Woods make that "quantum 2nd year leap" without any vet backup (simply because you question his desire) then we understand why your simply writing about the NFL rather than challenging BB for his job. And if you don't think JT CAN'T get better than a one year deal, then you my friend are sadly mistaken. "nuff said, adios!

Thank you, I was just about to post the same thing.....He calls me out on my opinion stating that I made no arguement....but my arguement was actually better than his for the emergence of Crable, and Woods are the answer at OLB.....

I

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brackula. Show Brackula's posts

[QUOTE]If the price is right for a season with an option for a second why not? He's past his physical prime but he's smart enough to adjust for any loss in speed. "You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!" Posted by Evil2009 That's a foolish and utterly unfounded statement. Actually, he makes a great deal of sense. Bruschi is past his physical prime (PLUS has suffered a stroke) but has adapted through his experiences and smarts and there is nothing to say JT couldn't do the exact same in the right system, i.e NE's.

RedsGhost?

I was joking.

About the quote from The Princess Bride.

Get a clue, son.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Are we SURE we want JT in a Pats' uniform?? YES!! But only if the price is right. If he wants a guaranteed $5-8mil., see ya. The Pats shouldn't sign him for more than an incentive laden deal...with a $2-3mil. base.