Are We Switching To a 4-3

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Are We Switching To a 4-3

Is it possible? Is Belichick making a move to a 4-3, and is that why he has involved himself more in the defense?

We have been working out a number of large DT's, who seem a tad too large to play as an end in a 3-4. Belichick has even said himself that this year there aren't those OLB's he likes in his system. There are plenty of 4-3 DE's, but not too many 3-4 OLB's.

I realize it's unlikely, but I'm starting to wonder.

Any thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

Re: Are We Switching To a 4-3

Makes sense.  Why have Ron Brace and Wilfork on board if not to play the 4-3.  Also, everyone else in the division is playing the 3-4.  Makes it hard to come up with schemes that the Quarterbacks have not seen.  A 4-3 would change the face of the defense.  This would give them plenty of Line backers.  Burgess would fit better if he comes back.  Thomas would fit better. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SidewayZ29. Show SidewayZ29's posts

Just because he said that there isn't alot he likes doesn't mena there is one he does like. Also, just becuase the OLB's have there hand in the dirt does not mean we are a 4-3 team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Are We Switching To a 4-3:
    Is it possible? Is Belichick making a move to a 4-3, and is that why he has involved himself more in the defense? We have been working out a number of large DT's, who seem a tad too large to play as an end in a 3-4. Belichick has even said himself that this year there aren't those OLB's he likes in his system. There are plenty of 4-3 DE's, but not too many 3-4 OLB's. I realize it's unlikely, but I'm starting to wonder. Any thoughts?
    Posted by vertigho

No, Brace was drafted because of the uncertainty of VW's contract last year.  He was a security blanket in case he sat out or he was lost this year to FA.

BB has said there's no change of scheme, although he's not going to come out and say it but he loves the versatility a 34 gives him.  He didn't like what he saw last year maybe in game plans or how the D didn't adjust through out the game so I'm sure that's more of the reason that to change to 43.

Changing to a 43 doesn't all of the sudden fixes all the problems the D had last year.  If they can't finish games doesn't matter how you line up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

BB would rather have a base of a 3-4 because you can change schemes easier to things like the 4-3 or 3-3-5 or any number of things where in a 4-3 D it is much harder to switch around to different schemes. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RealtyPats. Show RealtyPats's posts

Interesting thought, we don't have any stud OLB, TBC is good but not a stud.  AT is prob a goner.  People brought this up last year b4 seymour was gone because we had numbers at the line but not at LBs.  We only really have 2 legit starters at DL right now.  I don't think BB has the confidence to go into the season trying to convert to 4-3 w/Brace, Pryor and a rookie (we draft). 

Any chance we see the pats draft DL to play NT or if Brace makes huge strides we see VW at end.  I think on the short term he has the atheletism, size strength to be a beast,  maybe not in a few years and few lbs from now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

One thing is for sure in a pass happy league you are in your nickel packages as much if not more than your base package.  This usually means 4 DL, 2 LBs and 5 DBs.  We invited Williams and Cam Thomas to Foxboro.  Both are considered 34 NTs or 43 DTs although I think Williams can play anywhere including 34 DE.  I think BB realizes that this is such a deep draft for DTs types that he should take one regardless.  A guy like Dan Williams can be moved around inside or out.  Alualu is another name being thrown around.  He actually played 34 DE at Cal although most people see his real value as a 43 DT. 

There are a lack of prototypically 34 OLBs in this draft.  Given that, I would not be surprised if we drafted a 43 OLB like Sean Weatherspoon, who is a stud, then took at big 43 DT type.  This would give us a nickel package of TBC, Alualu (for instance), Wilfork (or Wright) and Warren with Weatherspoon and Mayo at LB with Butler, Chung, Meriweather, Bodden and Sanders or Wilhite in the backfield.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

no way we just signed wilfork to a huge deal to switch to a 4-3. he is a prototypical nose in a 3-4. and so is brace, by the way. the prototype of an interior DL in a 4-3 is an albert haynesworth or warren sapp type, and we dont have those players. and our second best defender, mayo, is a 3-4 MLB. plus BB has always been a 3-4 guy. but we all know that the pats will always play multiple fronts on defense and the 4-3 will be a part of that, especially if we get a good young hybrid DE-OLB in the mold of willie mac. thats when that changing front worked best.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Belichick has won 5 SBs with a base 3-4 defense, why switch? Nothing is wrong with the system. It's just the pieces. The best defenses in the league are 3-4s. The Jets, Packers, Ravens, Bengals, Steelers were the top 5 teams in total defense, and they all run 3-4s. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

Brace is not a 3-4 Nose Tackle... In college at BC he played in a 4-3 alongside BJ Raji. both were tackles.

Back to the topic tho - I would consider the patriots are going to flip back and forth between a 3-4 and 4-3. To stay as just one doesnt give you an advantage at all. BB is a master of implementing the right design for each different team. A 4-3 this week and a 3-4 next. If you stay at 3-4 moving forward then brace is expendable. doesnt make sense to have him on the team besides adding depth. a very expensive depth in my mind. Hes not a DE either nor is Wilfork.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Are We Switching To a 4-3:
    Is it possible? Is Belichick making a move to a 4-3, and is that why he has involved himself more in the defense? We have been working out a number of large DT's, who seem a tad too large to play as an end in a 3-4. Belichick has even said himself that this year there aren't those OLB's he likes in his system. There are plenty of 4-3 DE's, but not too many 3-4 OLB's. I realize it's unlikely, but I'm starting to wonder. Any thoughts?
    Posted by vertigho

We are not any 1 Defense.....we are a Hybrid defense that plays whatever type of defense is best VS the opponent......

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: Are We Switching To a 4-3:
    ...Back to the topic tho - I would consider the patriots are going to flip back and forth between a 3-4 and 4-3. To stay as just one doesnt give you an advantage at all. BB is a master of implementing the right design for each different team. A 4-3 this week and a 3-4 next...
    Posted by Boston-kyle

I think you are spot on with the flip flop. I would venture to add that with how well the good teams have made second half adjustments to NE's D (Colts adjusting well to anyone's defense in the second half), they might push this idea to the extreme come playoff time and try flipping at the half. It is damn crazy, but if anyone would try something that insane, it would be BB.

I can't imagine how crazy the draft will be for the staff. They will have double the holes to fill (although they have the number of drafts to perhaps give it a shot). That said, as good as BB is, I don't know if anyone can pull that off in the NFL. Besides, he does not have a big enough staff to manage the prep required to pull that off.

Yet again...maybe...just maybe, BB was thinking that if they're going to try something that extreme, he would have to do things himself.  Aha!

Man, I am bored. I wish the season would start on Sunday.

Sections
Shortcuts