Are you in favor of the Seymour trade?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Are you in favor of the Seymour trade?

Why or why not?

I am in favor because they have some depth currently.  This is going to open up the Pats to resign Wilfork.  Seymour is not the same he was a few years ago.  They picked up a 1st round pick in 2011.  The Patriots are getting younger.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

Re: Are you in favor of the Seymour trade?

It's hard to see a player like Richard go. He's played well and meant alot to us. He was a important part to our 3-4 defense. But when you take everything into consideration, this is a good move. If we play alot of 4-3 this year, I don't think he will be missed as much. Check out our draft picks for the next two years. Bills' not crazy about #1's and can parlay them into multiple picks. We are getting younger. Hopefully we now sign Vince. I would hate to lose him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbakilla. Show bubbakilla's posts

yes, i like richard but just like with brady next year, if he is likely not to sign an extension, belichick has to consider a trade. seymour will be good but we have enough guys who can duplicate his play. plus with that first rounder, who knows what great things bel can do with that!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

In a word.In a few more words:Seymour was not going to be signed after this season and getting a first round pick is fair value for a soon to be free agent and getting it in 2011 is shrewd in that they already have 3 third round picks in 2010,thus insuring the hope of continuing their being  legitimate contenders for the S.B. well into the future.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Please make it 3 second round picks in 2010...sorry,obviously another senior moment from a guy who was at the very first Patriots game ever and more than I care to remember since then.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

yes. but we had a better chance of winning it all this year with him

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

I'll hold off any judgment on this trade except to say that he deserved a helluva lot better than to be traded to freaking Oakland.

Seriously?  Oakland?  It's the black hole of the NFL, where dreams go to die.  I get that the Pats will get younger, and potentially better, but I'd be really upset if I were Seymour.  Time will tell.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from donspartucus. Show donspartucus's posts

Kind of reminds one of 2003 doesn't it! Lawyer Milloy being released before game 1.

Consider this, it was highly probable Seymour was going to be hurt again this year just like everyother year he's been here and may not 100% now.They more than likely were not going to resign him anyway and lose him anyhow, now they create cap space to resign Wilfork and get a 1st round pick.

So this is probably a good move because he knows the whole story and the average fan here is in the dark about a players health myself included.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Long term it may help. Short term I doubt for this year any player is going to step and be as good. Too much experience in the system and an all around solid player. To be honest it's shocking but I more feel bad for Seymour because he's going to garbage Oakland. I can't think of many player who deserve that abyss.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Great move. BB knows something. Will this #1 be fodder for J. Peppers?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

In Response to Re: Are you in favor of the Seymour trade?:
    [QUOTE]Kind of reminds one of 2003 doesn't it! Lawyer Milloy being released before game 1. Consider this, it was highly probable Seymour was going to be hurt again this year just like everyother year he's been here and may not 100% now.They more than likely were not going to resign him anyway and lose him anyhow, now they create cap space to resign Wilfork and get a 1st round pick.   So this is probably a good move because he knows the whole story and the average fan here is in the dark about a players health myself included.
    Posted by donspartucus[/QUOTE]

Great point.  I just feel bad for Seymour.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Seymour was on the downside of his career, how many times has he been injured?  My guess is the Pats have some more moves to make with the Raiders #1 pick.  I love the trade!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

Absolutly.  He hasn't lived up to his last huge contract.  He is not going to get any younger or better.  Brilliant move.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Who here would be in favor of this trade? 

I can see why it was done but I don't like it.  It even makes sense but I don't like it.  The trade is understandable but I doubt that anybody here can be said to be in favor of it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

Anybody want to go to the Sept.14 game with me. My brother can't make it, so I'm looking 4 somebody 2 go with. The price of the ticket($117). I have good seats; lower level(14 rows from the field, Goal Line). U must buy the ticket one week in advance. We can go together or we can meet up at the game, what ever U prefer because I live in Springfield. let me know right away.
    My Email is mvieu77@aol.com

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from domitian. Show domitian's posts

Although Seymour is a good player and a good person, I think this was a great trade for the Pats. You gotta wonder what the Raiders were thinking though, seeing as Seymour is a free agent after this season. He won't re-sign there. Giving up a potential top 15 pick for one year of service? Al Davis must be losing it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoahJustin. Show NoahJustin's posts

One of the tricks to staying great is not to grow too old. By trading Seymour, we'll have the money to sign Wilford now. Hopefully we can use the first round pick to get someone young and great. It would be nice to have a all pro defensive line, but we can't afford it. For years now I've heard how our defense is getting too old, this is the transition period between the next generation Pats. I'd rather have traded Richard and got a possible top ten pick, then losing him next year and getting nothing in return.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]Who here would be in favor of this trade?  I can see why it was done but I don't like it.  It even makes sense but I don't like it.  The trade is understandable but I doubt that anybody here can be said to be in favor of it.
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

Seymour has knee problems; which prevented him from being "healthy" in 2 of the past 3 years. With no way to sign all of the upcoming free agents - it was time to get something for him before it was too late.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsSoxCeltsNo1. Show PatsSoxCeltsNo1's posts

If we lose to the Bills 31-0 in the season opener I will have a good feeling about this season!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

At some point, everybody has to go.

I do not agree with those who say Seymour is no longer an effective DE, and do not believe that what he is asked to do in the Pats' scheme is quantifiable with statistics (which I abhor, in any case). That said, you can't keep everybody forever, and there have been many and vaired discussions in here about whom among Seymour, Mankins and Wilfork the Pats might keep. The key to maintaining their status at the top of the league has been identifying when moves like this are cost effective and eliminating the sentiment factor.

When I opened this site today and saw the headline, I was surprised and disappointed. I think Seymour is awesome. I'll miss him.

But I miss Ted Washington (and Ted Johnson, too).

I miss Lawyer Milloy and Ty Law.

I miss Willie McGinest.

One of these days, I'm going to miss Tom Brady, too.

(feel free to add your favorite guys to this list)

But througout their respective tenure's, the Krafts and Belichick have shown that they seem to have a thorough grasp of how to succeed in today's NFL. I'm a fan. I'll voice my opinion. But I'm not about to question the motives of a brain trust that has kept my favorite team at the top of the league for almost ten years.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from overhere. Show overhere's posts

[QUOTE]But througout their respective tenure's, the Krafts and Belichick have shown that they seem to have a thorough grasp of how to succeed in today's NFL. I'm a fan. I'll voice my opinion. But I'm not about to question the motives of a brain trust that has kept my favorite team at the top of the league for almost ten years.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

That sound you hear is Prairiemike hitting the nail on the head.

We have draft picks in plenty, a bit of wiggle room under the cap, and an MO that has kept us at the top of the NFL for ten years.

We could sell out the future and be dominant for one or two years.  Or excellent for many years.  I know which choice I'd take.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 671Chay. Show 671Chay's posts

its not yet sinking in. im still in the state of WTH is BB thinking.  My take is... Pats wants to go young, they are thinking of the uncertainty of collective bargaining and Labor deal. 

Sooner or later this will happen anyhow. Its just hard to accept right now that a major piece of the 3RINGS is gone.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

I think the trade was likely a good value move, which should be applauded, but does it make the pats better this year? 

I can't answer that on my own, but it seems that past posts on this board suggest that seymour was a key to defensive success.  Without him, the defense suffered. 

So maybe the move has good long term implications but possibly they come at the expense of near term success. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

That's exactly it, dogg.

Most here can agree that Seymour (or one of the big three) was gone next year in any case, so what you're trading is your immediate future (this season) for projected success (asssuming you draft a stud or trade for value). There are collective bargaining issues at play here also, I'd be willing to bet -- but the notion that you have to give up a certain amount of reliable "now" for a potentially exceptional "later" is spot on.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]That's exactly it, dogg. Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

Let me qualify this by saying I think Belichick is brilliant and that I expect his mad scientist play to ultimately deliver once again that secret successful formula - BUT:

I think the "current" belichick is developing a reputation as a stockpiler of picks which guarantees only one thing - future picks.  Substituting potential for actual in our immediate gratification society is called a pipe dream. 

It seems that Belichick may be asking for patience while his splendid stew simmers.  But are pats fans patient enough to wait around for 2010 or beyond?   Maybe Belichick thinks the Steelers, Chargers and Colts are too much to handle this year.  How does that make you feel? 

If I were pats fans, I'd hope for some immediate use of all those future picks this year to acquire a player now that can help your team now.  But that's just my opinion.