Aren't you glad we didn't get Mario Williams now?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

Aren't you glad we didn't get Mario Williams now?

Seems just a few weeks ago a lot of us wanted to see the patriots sign Williams. I admit to wanting him here too but, never was that gung-ho about it. 

Look at what we got in the draft and FA signings. Mario Williams coming here would have depleted our depth big time among other things including the obvious $$ involved. 

BB always values depth. That way players get the playing time whilst learning the system and everyone "does their job". "Plug and play" as Mayock would say.Why have 1 Mario Williams when you can have 3 or 4 defensive lineman/LB's (or more) for less than half Williams' salary? 

I've never seen a better Patiots team going into the season like this one. Sure, there are no big names here but, we are so loaded on O and D it's insane. Addai's signing today is one more piece to this team that will contribute (and I predict will have a big year). Addai will have Ridley and Vereen chomping at the bit to run. I love it. I can't wait. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: Aren't you glad we didn't get Mario Williams now?

In Response to Aren't you glad we didn't get Mario Williams now?:
    [QUOTE] I've never seen a better Patiots team going into the season like this one.  
    Posted by mrbungle[/QUOTE]

The team is stacked. It should be a steamroll through the AFC.

Glad BB retooled the defense with the draft and not a big expensive FA.

A good mve picking up Addai too, at a value price,

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Williams was a sucker deal. BB doesn't take cap hits like that unless he's 100% sure he has a great one.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Williams will get his 10-15 sacks

but so will Chandler Jones, Dont'a Hightower, Fanene, and Scott (combined).  And not only did these four cost less than 40% of what Mario Williams did, but they're also a safer, more diversified investment (and more versatile - Mario Williams is a DE, even when he stands up as an "OLB" - Hightower can actually play 7-tech, 9-tech, OLB, and ILB)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mooney12. Show Mooney12's posts

Run the ball or a quicc screen with a RB against Mario and Mark and you will eliminate the pass rush and you will ultimately defeat the Bills.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In Response to Re: Aren't you glad we didn't get Mario Williams now?:
    [QUOTE]Williams was a sucker deal. BB doesn't take cap hits like that unless he's 100% sure he has a great one.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

And here we agree.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

[QUOTE]Williams will get his 10-15 sacks but so will Chandler Jones, Dont'a Hightower, Fanene, and Scott (combined).  And not only did these four cost less than 40% of what Mario Williams did, but they're also a safer, more diversified investment (and more versatile - Mario Williams is a DE, even when he stands up as an "OLB" - Hightower can actually play 7-tech, 9-tech, OLB, and ILB)
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188[/QUOTE]

I agree Willams will get his 10-15 sacks, and he may even get an additional 10-15 tackles during the season.  Texan defense was one of the worst in the NFL whenever Mario was on the field (got a lot better when injured and Brooks Reed played).  Something to consider.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'm glad they didn't sign Williams..too much money/not enough of a player, but we do have like 15 million to spend under the cap after Light's retirement, wouldn't that money be better spent on actual players? I know players will get hurt throughout the season and we will need to sign some guys, but you don't need 15 million to sign guys that were otherwise sitting on their couches. Yeah we will extend some player's contracts under team friendly deals and our picks will need to be signed...that should leave us with 8 million plus or so under the cap (just like last year). Red Bryant would of looked real good at defensive end in our 34 next to Wilfork. Brandon Carr or Finnegan would of looked good in our secondary. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Honestly.... it would have been nice to have him along side with all the rookie additions, no?

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

[QUOTE]Honestly.... it would have been nice to have him along side with all the rookie additions, no?
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

yes, IF we can make the cap #s work and that would have been next-to-impossible.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

[QUOTE]Williams was a sucker deal. BB doesn't take cap hits like that unless he's 100% sure he has a great one.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

I am surprised - this is the first, and perhaps the only, post I remember from you that has positive things to say about BB the GM !!!

You changing your mind?

Sections
Shortcuts