Argonauts GM on Armstead:

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Argonauts GM on Armstead:

Really interested in what this kid has to offer now. Wow.

Toronto Argonauts general manager Jim Barker spent some time on the phone with ESPNBoston.com on Thursday, with the goal to learn more about defensive lineman Armond Armstead.

The Patriots signed Armstead, who played at Southern Cal and then with the Argonauts last season, on Tuesday.

“I don’t think it’s very often that an NFL team can get a first-round pick without using a first-round pick,” Barker said of Armstead.

Here is the Q&A with Barker:

What type of player are the Patriots getting?
    “They’re getting a 6-5, 280-pound active player who plays very smart. He plays with great leverage. He’s an above-average pass-rusher who plays the run well. He’s a solid all-around player, a phenomenal young man. As good a player as he is, he’s a better person. I think at a young age – he was 21 when he came up here – I think he grew a lot just living in another country on his own. I think his maturation level is going to be higher than if he were to come off a university campus. Not only a great player, but a fantastic person; he’ll be great in the community.”

Can you describe how Armond was utilized on defense with the Argonauts?
    “He was used for us both as a nose guard – he’s obviously not Vince Wilfork, that’s not what he does, he’s not a two-gap player in a 30 front – and 3 technique [outside shade on the guard]. He played on the edge some in the 30 front but not much. It wasn’t that he couldn’t do it, it’s that we didn’t play a lot of 30 front. He was moved around inside and was mainly an inside player for us. He ended up being named All-CFL as a rookie, which is very rare.”

How did you bring him to the Argonauts?
    “I went to USC myself, so I was aware of Armond’s story. When I saw that USC was not going to allow him to go through Pro Day, I put him on our negotiation list. I didn’t know all the details. We kind of went through the process. His agent is Don Yee, a good friend of mine, and we worked out that if in fact he can play, this might be the best solution for him to come to Canada. If things worked out at the end of the first year, he could either come back for a second year or we would allow him to go and pursue his dream if he was ready for that. This was just a rare, once-in-a-lifetime case. I don’t think it’s very often where an NFL team can get a first-round pick without using a first-round pick. When he came up, about the second or third day of training camp, I told somebody on our coaching staff ‘this guy is going to be the highest paid guy out of Canada ever.’ The details of his [contract] I’m not sure, but from everything I understand, that in case is the fact. We’ve had some good players from our league go down and be very successful – Cam Wake, Jeff Garcia, Doug Flutie. This guy is young and his best years are ahead of him. He just fits the mold of the type of player the Patriots look for – high character, great athlete, still growing into being a great pro football player.”

One article framed this past year in the CFL for him as one that he had to show that medical issues weren’t a factor in his career. From your understanding of it, does that seem like a fair characterization?
    “Yeah, I think when you’re dealing with a heart attack, and dealing with those kind of things – if in fact that’s what it was; there are a lot of legal issues going on about what really happened. I don’t really know. None of that made any difference to us. We brought him up and doctors and our cardiologist put him through a battery of what we do in Canada, which obviously is extensive. Our doctors gave him the go-ahead that he was fine to play and he not only played 23 games, but he never missed a practice. There was never any kind of an issue at all when it came to whatever the issue happened to be with him at USC.”

How would you characterize the interest from NFL teams over the course of the season?
    “I can say he was highly sought-after. The players up in our league are different, because it’s a different game. We’re more of a space game. For Armond, he’s not going to have that yard off the ball. It’s a much tighter game in the NFL. Some of the things we look for, there are players who play in the NFL that couldn’t play up here. There are some different skill sets, but in certain positions and areas there is obviously carry-over. We have a phenomenal group of players up here. I would say we get more and more [NFL] teams every year come through. The teams that are very thorough come through and do a real good job and they know all the players in our league, as they should – just like we have to go down and we scout all 32 NFL teams. On an NFL roster, we’re not going to get the people who are going to make their team, but there are a lot of guys they have in training camp who can’t play for us. In fact, over half of them probably can’t play for us, but we have to go down and scout them. That’s what good teams in our league do, just like the best teams in [the NFL] do up here. There is a good relationship between the two leagues. We honor each other’s contracts. It’s a good relationship.”

Did anything stand out to you from a Patriots perspective in their pursuit, or was it more standard business?
    “It came down to which team had the most to sell, and what Armond was looking for. I think this year, being on a Grey Cup champion, we went out last year and traded for Ricky Ray – one of the top quarterbacks in the league – and I think Armond saw how important it was having a team that was going to compete to win Super Bowls. There were a lot of teams that were after him. I think he sifted through and it came down to – obviously money to an extent, but I think there were a lot of other factors for Armond. He’s young, he knows he’s going to make plenty of money, and I think being involved in a winning organization is very important to him. I know he was looking very, very closely at four or five teams that were right there, and he made the decision that was best for he and his family.”

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Re: Argonauts GM on Armstead:

thanks for the post dynasty.  Good info.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

It's going to be a long offseason. I hate this process of getting your hopes up with each scouting report we read and all the good things we hear about all the players we sign, draft, trade for. You get so excited envisioning our guys dominating the other guys and our coaches out-coaching the other guys. And then, like Hoody said, it ends with a 'sudden crash' when they lose.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Really, what is the guy going to say. He knew the kid belonged in the NFL and was happy to get one season out of him. All of this stuff is meaningless. I have no opinion on him until I see him playing in regular season NFL games.

Really, he signed with the Patriots because the offered the most guaranteed money. Read the last paragraph again about why he chose the Pats specifically the line, "...obviously money to an extent..."

He could end up being better than any DT in the draft, then again, plenty of 1st and 2nd round lineman have not workout out in the NFL. Right now, everything about how good he is or how he changes the Patriots defense is pure conjecture.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I like him, but we need an edge rushe too. 

Osi, Freeny...Jared Allen? Maybe, hopefully, probably not. One can dream though. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Great signing...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

You can also google the guy and get an objective scouting report. I hope he is great, but he is 280 pounds and plays the interior. I thought I read he was 300 pounds, but it seems light for the Pats.

also intrigued with the Bernard signing as he has actually had some NFL success

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

This kid has an explosive first step, a very good nose for the ball (watch the way he defends the swing pass in the 2nd college highlight below) and is tough to block all alone as he shows a variety of moves for such a young big man.  Though his Canadian coach doesn't seem to know his measurables, he weighed in at 295 at USC and a shade under 300 at his private Pro Day workout.  His Pro Day measurables were very solid compared to his draft peers.

All the negative Nancies can tell us that the sky is falling once again and we shouldn't get too excited about one free agent rookie, but this kid signed for a good rookie salary.  Great signing at our biggest need position besides safety.

College Highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHjx5M10Pl4

Canada Highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZjbbph7O-g

Classic Belichick

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

RKarp mentions "Bernard" up above. Who is "Bernard"?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/9532/career

We signed him to a future contract: http://www.patriots.com/news/article-1/Patriots-sign-seven-players-to-future-contracts/8e895b70-001e-4775-a965-8b96bfc3dcb9

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

But yeah it's actually Benard.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

*YAWN*

Let me know when he makes a play in the NFL. Also name me one coach who hasnt endorsed his former player for the NFL.

Should I go find all the nice things that were said about Ron Brace too.

LOL...Wow....Star  in the Making! You heard it here First and Rusty is already co-signing!  WoW

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Apparently missed all of 2012 (?), had 8 sack season a couple seasons back though for the Browns. Still does not intrigue me like the thought of another true 300 pound DE though, we have a lot of edge rushers, we need more talented beef in the middle.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Go jump off a bridge already, this self loathing is too much...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Apparently missed all of 2012 (?), had 8 sack season a couple seasons back though for the Browns. Still does not intrigue me like the thought of another true 300 pound DE though, we have a lot of edge rushers, we need more talented beef in the middle.

Seymour comes back to Foxboro for another SB run.  Ed Reed decides to as well after the Buzzards fail to get him a ring.  I can dream can't I?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

What do you want the Argonauts Gm to say? He's horrible why did I ever sign him? As FrnkBnhm said, the guy should be treated as a camp body to compete right now, nothing more. Those assuming BB's found his DE or DT to fix the issue might be hoping for more then the kid can give. There is a reason the Pats essentially signed him to a vet min type of deal compared to other teams. If he was really a first round pick as the Argonauts GM suggests wouldn't some team offer him similar money? I'm hoping he works but to me there is still a huge hole next to Vince until you can actually see what this kid can do in the NFL and I'd still be searching for someone to fill that role and let both guys compete to earn a spot and make for a super rotation

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I've actually kept Seymour on my fantasy off season "get" list, maybe a few years on the Raiders gave him an appreciation for playing on a winning team and he has enough money in his pocket?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

What do you want the Argonauts Gm to say? He's horrible why did I ever sign him? As FrnkBnhm said, the guy should be treated as a camp body to compete right now, nothing more. Those assuming BB's found his DE or DT to fix the issue might be hoping for more then the kid can give. There is a reason the Pats essentially signed him to a vet min type of deal compared to other teams. If he was really a first round pick as the Argonauts GM suggests wouldn't some team offer him similar money? I'm hoping he works but to me there is still a huge hole next to Vince until you can actually see what this kid can do in the NFL and I'd still be searching for someone to fill that role and let both guys compete to earn a spot and make for a super rotation

They also worked him out pre-draft, they're not exactly walking into this blind.  You know Belichick also signed Justin Francis undrafted and the kid was as good or better than his contemporaries in the draft who everyone here was drooling over like the Andre Branch's, Melvin Ingrams and Shea McClellins...

Some of us actually give BB some credit for being a top notch talent evaluator, so for him to expend resources on a Canadian player is not to be sniffed at.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

Really, what is the guy going to say. He knew the kid belonged in the NFL and was happy to get one season out of him. All of this stuff is meaningless. I have no opinion on him until I see him playing in regular season NFL games.

Really, he signed with the Patriots because the offered the most guaranteed money. Read the last paragraph again about why he chose the Pats specifically the line, "...obviously money to an extent..."

He could end up being better than any DT in the draft, then again, plenty of 1st and 2nd round lineman have not workout out in the NFL. Right now, everything about how good he is or how he changes the Patriots defense is pure conjecture.

Of course it's conjecture. Calm down.

Scouting report:

http://www.sidelinescouting.com/rankings/2012/dt/armond-armstead/

This is actually a classic BB move.   He sees WHY a player was overlooked and he pounces. 

I know he was supposed to be good. The Patriots had him in here last year prior to the draft and were just as concerned about his health as the rest of the NFL or they would have taken a flyer on him back then.

The did not sneak in and steal this guy from the CFL. Multiple NFL teams were offering him contracts (he was in talks with at least the Dolphins and Colts as well). The Patriots simply offered him the most guaranteed money of the teams interested. 

I think it will be a good move. I just want people to stop pretending like BB knew something no one else did and found this guy because he is smarter than everyone else. Much like the Tavon Wilson pick in round two, it will be three or four years before we know how good a move this was.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Glad to hear the endorsement by his caoch (although they all say that stuff), hopefully this kid can turn out better than Haynesworth, Ellis, Fenene and Pryor. And I think he will. To me this kid looks like a late first, to mid second round pick (talent wise). This is where we need the help...Love and Deaderick are nothing special - and considering that they play next to Wilfork is all the more obvious.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Think he is a low risk FA signing, and it may turn out better than a draft pick that may or may not pan out, but it is too early to hype him as equaling stealing a first round pick before he played a down in the NFL.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ultpatfan. Show ultpatfan's posts

In response to nomadfan's comment:

Think he is a low risk FA signing, and it may turn out better than a draft pick that may or may not pan out, but it is too early to hype him as equaling stealing a first round pick before he played a down in the NFL.

Like I've been saying: stand back and be majorly surprised at how effective this kid will be.  Now we need a little more grit on the outside DL, WR option and a safety.  The WR and safety could be addressed in free agency; the defense in the draft. 

Sections
Shortcuts