Argument for defense wins championships

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Argument for defense wins championships

In Response to Re: Argument for defense wins championships:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Argument for defense wins championships : No, that's right. I like how NOs and GB run their offenses.  They are efficient and have better O Coordinators than we do. I think in these cases, keep in mind I picked SF and NYGS to win this weekend, so that means I felt each offense might struggle. NOs was outdoors, which I said they are a different club and Rodgers hadn't played in 3 weeks, also with their distraction with their Off Coordinator's son. Look, the O'Brien game yesterday was great. Loved it.  Waited for that ALL YEAR.  They hadn't scored on an opening drive and dictated in the 1st qtr like that all year.   Great to see.  I;ve said it many times. I know they have it them, they just need to show me.  Good.  Keep it up!  
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII[/QUOTE]
    If you picked both NO and GB to lose those games that was pretty darn good. I thought the Giants would win, but no way did I see NO losing that one...it's outside, but it's in San Fran - not like they played in 20 degree weather.

Justin Smith was a complete beast in that game, that bull rush towards the end was a thing of beauty. Their safeties were knocking the hell out of people.

Truthfully I think we can beat SF - there's no way we turn the ball over 5 times against them and I just don't think their offense will keep up with ours. The question is, will we get past Baltimore? I think if Spikes shows up like he did yesterday and our offensive line can keep Brady clean we win it by 2 touchdowns. I got to hand it to Mankins (still stunned we'd pay a guard that much), he played pretty well with a bum knee.  

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Argument for defense wins championships : You were the one that was incorrect. I live in Minnesota, remember?  We get Wisconsin news here.
    Posted by Patsfansince1966[/QUOTE]

I thought you said you lived in Maine?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Argument for defense wins championships : No, he was found in a lake.
    Posted by Patsfansince1966[/QUOTE]

The news stories say he was found in Fox River. Do they have strange naming conventions in that area where they call lakes rivers and rivers lakes or something or are you just wrong?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Argument for defense wins championships : I thought you said you lived in Maine?
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Wherever there are angry cold drunk people, he is thee.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I had3 picks this weekend, calling the miners, giants and pats. Lost on Houston. Russ...why was ob's game plan on offense so genius? Any coincidence with mcdaniels back? There were some new wrinkles that to me said mcdaniels...like Hernandez lining up a lot at rb, etc. I wonder if mcdaniels had an influence on the game plan? It didn't look textbook oB

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

With the exception of the Giants, every team with the better D (in points allowed) won this weekend. Believe it or not NE has a better D (points allowed) the Den.

I do love last week when some people started beating their chest when the #1 D was knocked out of the playoffs. I wonder where they will be this week now that the top 2 O's have been knocked out.

Just goes to show any given week while that turn overs and the strengths of the D's were key for every game except the Pats this week (and the Pats D dominated too it's just the O was so dominant Den didn't have a shot)

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Funny how you liked their offense this week when they did the opposite of what you like. 27/66 plays empty set with no true RB on the field. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I think when people say defense wins is dead it has more to do with the fact that you ont need dominnt defense to in it all. The SB winner used to be the #1 defense every season. But now teams without dominant defenses are winning from tine to tine nd top defenses are getting bounced. 

NEs defense can be enough, especilly if we see more fast starts. That was their best effort since the Cowboys game.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

"Defense wins championships"  is a saying engaged in by media and lazy fans.  TEAMS win championships.  Teams with no offense don't win, teams with no defense don't win either.  Most teams are stronger on one side or the other, but in truth, you have to bring both.  In the modern era, the league has made great efforts to tilt things toward the offense, and so great offenses have risen and broken lots of records.  The Patriots 3 SB wins were great complementary football.  If you have a dominating defense, yes, you CAN win a championship with the right game plan.  But you will most likely have to score some points.  SO, no.  I'm not buying it.  The 49ers put on an offensive display against the Saints that was amazing.  The Giants go ahead score on offense allowed them the point cushion to play aggressively.  Same with the Patriots total domination of the Broncos.  They were in such a hole early the defense could just tee off on them.  That mess is Baltimore proved that defense alone isn't going to win much of ANYTHING.  ARGUMENT REJECTED.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tjwoods. Show tjwoods's posts

I never bought into the current mantra that 'Defense wins championships' is now passe. It's all I've ever seen in the NFL, NHL or NBA.

Good news for Pats fans is this: with Spikes and Chung back, we now have a good defense . . . and the team's healthy. Like our chances.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SXPTSCLTSRULE. Show SXPTSCLTSRULE's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Argument for defense wins championships : Yes. So far, I have picked them all right. Let's see if I have it right next week, too. Giants will run out of gas and SF's D is far better than GBs.  They'll adjust from the first meetings mistakes and they're at home ready to take the next step, IMO. Giants coming off physical, emotional win and need to fly to west coast.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII[/QUOTE]

Right you are.  SF to the SB.   The San Mateo kid gets to play against the team he idolized as a kid.  

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

[QUOTE]well, the team that gives up the fewest point AND puts up the most points in any game....wins all the time...lol
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]
    John Madden couldn't have said it ANY better! :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Dominent defenses obviously can win in the playoffs but the Packers made a lot of unforced errors and the Saints made some too. I believe winners make the least amount of unforced errors which include penalties. If the PATS make no unforced errors against the Ravings the win easily