Armond Armstead on track

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Armond Armstead on track

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/the_blitz/2014/03/armond_armstead_on_track_for_start_of_offseason_program

This is good news. Let's hope he plays, and plays well. Could this lead to VW release?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: Armond Armstead on track

good good.

and VW is weird. they havent cut him yet.. why? maybe gonna let him sit back and say "look your market isnt what you think it is.... take your head outta the clouds and take a reasonable paycut and we can put this all behind us.. you're a Pat, Vince, wake up"

or he holds his ground and BB smartly doesnt cut him til training camp and msot contenders wont scoop him up since they will have addressed the DT need thru FA/draft already.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to TravisBean's comment:

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

good good.

and VW is weird. they havent cut him yet.. why? maybe gonna let him sit back and say "look your market isnt what you think it is.... take your head outta the clouds and take a reasonable paycut and we can put this all behind us.. you're a Pat, Vince, wake up"

or he holds his ground and BB smartly doesnt cut him til training camp and msot contenders wont scoop him up since they will have addressed the DT need thru FA/draft already.

1. That is exactly what they are doing.

2. What choice do they have?

He's being misled by his agent or he is delusional thinking some other team will give him 8 million in 2014.

BB has the leverage and that's that. Vince can be a big boy, realize his situation, be a team guy and keep rehabbing to hope he can come back.

+1

He better figure it out fast...BB's patience won't last forever...I mean this is a guy who cut McGinest and later included Vrabel as a "throw in" for a trade with KC...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

He's being misled by his agent or he is delusional thinking some other team will give him 8 million in 2014.

BB has the leverage and that's that. Vince can be a big boy, realize his situation, be a team guy and keep rehabbing to hope he can come back. 

I think its VW's wife barking in his ear about the money. i'd bet on it man.

the most he would see is 4 million (which is what BB probably offered in the restructure).

And agreed, BB has the leverage. Vince can be all upset saying he earned this contract but in the end we all know those huge deals never see their end without some sort of restructure.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

Every one is assumeing Armsread will be playing DT......Why then has the Pats home site been listing him as a DE ever since he signed on.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

In response to part-timer's comment:

Every one is assumeing Armsread will be playing DT......Why then has the Pats home site been listing him as a DE ever since he signed on.....

I agree, I don't think Armstead has much bearing on Wilfork's situation. If you are planning on replacing Vince with Armstead you're losing a lot of beef in the middle which they can't really afford. Armstead, if he can reach his potential, would be a nice passing down DT or a 3-4 end in my opinion but not a 3 down DT.

If VW is going to get cut then BB will have something planned other than Armstead.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to part-timer's comment:

It'll be both.  BB was using Justin Francis between DE and DT in 2012. HE likes that Jarvis Green type player, which is why I think BB might get him into some 3-4 DE looks as well where he might be kicked inside in the 4-3 with Chandler at DE when need be. Something like that.

The more BB can use a guy effectively in another spot on the field, that is what he is looking for.

Don't put so much stock in where a guy is listed with a BB club. 

Yes. I believe that was the pLAN last year before he, vw, and Kelly got hurt. I hope we see that plan Come to fruition this year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlderbutWiser. Show OlderbutWiser's posts

I believe the answer is coming in the first round: (1) Louis Nix 6'2" 331#, but he has a knee injury' (2) Ra'Shede Hageman 6'6" 310#; (3) Timmy Jerrigan 6'2" 300#

I think it will be Hageman.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

In response to OlderbutWiser's comment:

I believe the answer is coming in the first round: (1) Louis Nix 6'2" 331#, but he has a knee injury' (2) Ra'Shede Hageman 6'6" 310#; (3) Timmy Jerrigan 6'2" 300#

I think it will be Hageman.

It's good news that 'the infection' won't stop Armstead from practice at least this year.

Hagemon has some good highlight video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcXeF3SO5WI

& Pats Pulpit is in love with him

http://www.patspulpit.com/2014/3/17/5520554/2014-patriots-draft-dt-rashede-hageman

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

He's no NT, he'll have to play DT, but next to Siliga, they'll make the best match up next season. He's a great interior pass-rusher...at least, in the CFL, but so was Cameron Wake.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Vince and Kelly, if they both manage to make the team, should be used as the back ups IMHO.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Anything that Armstead contributes to the team is valued added in my opinion.  The guy didn't cost a draft pick and has a cap hit of just over $400K this year.  It'd be great if the guy kicked some serious a_ss and if he doesn't the team hasn't lost much.  I quite frankly fail to see a downside (nor have I ever) to having this guy around.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Anything that Armstead contributes to the team is valued added in my opinion.  The guy didn't cost a draft pick and has a cap hit of just over $400K this year.  It'd be great if the guy kicked some serious a_ss and if he doesn't the team hasn't lost much.  I quite frankly fail to see a downside (nor have I ever) to having this guy around.

+1.

Armstead may or may not contribute, and first he has to make the roster, but there is no risk in keeping him. The problem as of now is the huge question mark on the interior DL. Who will be there, who will be healthy, who can play at a high level? I'm excited to hear news about Armstead when we get to training camp.

Did Sopoaga get cut yet? Even with the rest of the DLine up in the air, I think we all know that he isn't the solution to anything.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Given the low cost and low risk, I think the Armstead signing was a good one, but the question remains whether he can fill one of the slots on the 53-man roster.  That's not just a question about his injury status, it's also one of skill.  We haven't seen him compete yet for a position in the NFL.

I have seen Armstead play a lot, since he was on my local CFL team two years ago.  The guy is very quick, and was a dominant player as a CFL rookie.  I see lots of potential there.  But the CFL game is also very different.  The rules in the CFL require the defense to line up one yard back from the line of scrimmage, so the D and O linemen aren't nose to nose as they are in the NFL.  We'll need to see how Armstead adjusts when he's working in a tighter space, where power may be more important than quickness. This is especially true if we make Armstead a tackle.  Personally, I see him more as a big end and think he may be the guy who rotates with Nink and Chandler Jones, though also comes inside periodically when they want a speedier tackle. I don't see him as a replacement for a guy like Wilfork, who has the size and power to play 3-4 NT, but I do think he has some flexibility to play end or, especially if he's next to a big guy like Wilfork, 4-3 tackle.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to DanishPastry's comment:

+1.

Armstead may or may not contribute, and first he has to make the roster, but there is no risk in keeping him. The problem as of now is the huge question mark on the interior DL. Who will be there, who will be healthy, who can play at a high level? I'm excited to hear news about Armstead when we get to training camp.

Did Sopoaga get cut yet? Even with the rest of the DLine up in the air, I think we all know that he isn't the solution to anything.

My guess is the Pats won't make any cuts at DT until they pick someone else up at the position.  They need to figure out what they can get before they let guys leave.  I wouldn't be surprised if no moves are made until after the draft. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

+1.

He was cut last week i believe.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Given the low cost and low risk, I think the Armstead signing was a good one, but the question remains whether he can fill one of the slots on the 53-man roster.  That's not just a question about his injury status, it's also one of skill.  We haven't seen him compete yet for a position in the NFL.

I have seen Armstead play a lot, since he was on my local CFL team two years ago.  The guy is very quick, and was a dominant player as a CFL rookie.  I see lots of potential there.  But the CFL game is also very different.  The rules in the CFL require the defense to line up one yard back from the line of scrimmage, so the D and O linemen aren't nose to nose as they are in the NFL.  We'll need to see how Armstead adjusts when he's working in a tighter space, where power may be more important than quickness. This is especially true if we make Armstead a tackle.  Personally, I see him more as a big end and think he may be the guy who rotates with Nink and Chandler Jones, though also comes inside periodically when they want a speedier tackle. I don't see him as a replacement for a guy like Wilfork, who has the size and power to play 3-4 NT, but I do think he has some flexibility to play end or, especially if he's next to a big guy like Wilfork, 4-3 tackle.

Great points. But can't armstead just line up 1 yard off the LOS as he did in the cfl? I don't think there is an nfl rule stating dt's must be nose to nose? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Great points. But can't armstead just line up 1 yard off the LOS as he did in the cfl? I don't think there is an nfl rule stating dt's must be nose to nose? 

He could, but no one plays it that way in the NFL. You don't want to yield that yard in the middle of the line if you don't have to. Getting one yard for a first down is almost a gimme in the CFL.  It's one reason offenses just get three downs instead of four.

Playing at end though would give him more space to work in.

He was really good in downfield pursuit too in the CFL.  He was like a LB, catching RBs in the open field from behind.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

+1.

He was cut last week i believe.

You're right.  I had forgotten.  Probably wanted the cap room with the deals they were making.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

good good.

+1

He better figure it out fast...BB's patience won't last forever...I mean this is a guy who cut McGinest and later included Vrabel as a "throw in" for a trade with KC...

WHat is the cut off date? June 1?  I admittedly don't know the details on when his salary officially kicks in and all of that.

This is slightly different than the Seymour thing because I think BB was ok with realizing 2009 was going to be a transition year.

In no way is 2014 anything remotely like that.  Again, I am shocked at Vince's stance here. I really thought he'd be centered enough to get it and realize he has zero leverage.

He actually does have leverage.  He has a history of being a phenomenal player in which other teams would have an interest (leverage 1).  He has a contract (leverage 2).  As it stands now, if Wilfork is unwilling to take a pay cut, he should do nothing but wait for the team to make its move.  The ball is in their court - not his. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Mods didn't think my definition of Armstead's "mysterious" illness was funny. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

In response to 49Patriots's comment:

He's no NT, he'll have to play DT, but next to Siliga, they'll make the best match up next season. He's a great interior pass-rusher...at least, in the CFL, but so was Cameron Wake.

I think you are severely overrating Siliga. Fine backup but you want him as your number 1 DT??

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

He had surgery for an infection in his body... not sure what your point is?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

In response to UD6's comment:

He had surgery for an infection in his body... not sure what your point is?

You're expecting an actual point?

Sections
Shortcuts