Armond Armstead on track

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Re: Armond Armstead on track

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to UD6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mods didn't think my definition of Armstead's "mysterious" illness was funny. 

[/QUOTE]

He had surgery for an infection in his body... not sure what your point is?

[/QUOTE]

You're expecting an actual point?

[/QUOTE]

My bad

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

good to hear.  I'm tired of the media and former pats players calling out the org for using injured reserve or the injury report to stash players or misreport their injury.  The article said nothing of his surgery. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Great news, there's nothing like adding another All Pro player to the active roster.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to pats-fan-2007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/the_blitz/2014/03/armond_armstead_on_track_for_start_of_offseason_program

This is good news. Let's hope he plays, and plays well. Could this lead to VW release?

[/QUOTE]

They've had so many of these low risk high reward guys that come, get talked about here as a good sign, shows a little bit of development only to be let go the following offseason. I'll believe it when he gets on the field during the reg season.

In the meantime, I'd want them to draft two DTs in the first four rounds of the draft.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I give maybe a 30% chance that Vince Wilfork recovers enough to make the team on his old contract.  He's on track too, and if he's up to 90% he's lining up.

It's not an either-or proposition.  Different skill sets.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to Bungalow-Bill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 49Patriots's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He's no NT, he'll have to play DT, but next to Siliga, they'll make the best match up next season. He's a great interior pass-rusher...at least, in the CFL, but so was Cameron Wake.

[/QUOTE]

I think you are severely overrating Siliga. Fine backup but you want him as your number 1 DT??

[/QUOTE]

I don't want Vince either.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Given the low cost and low risk, I think the Armstead signing was a good one, but the question remains whether he can fill one of the slots on the 53-man roster.  That's not just a question about his injury status, it's also one of skill.  We haven't seen him compete yet for a position in the NFL.

I have seen Armstead play a lot, since he was on my local CFL team two years ago.  The guy is very quick, and was a dominant player as a CFL rookie.  I see lots of potential there.  But the CFL game is also very different.  The rules in the CFL require the defense to line up one yard back from the line of scrimmage, so the D and O linemen aren't nose to nose as they are in the NFL.  We'll need to see how Armstead adjusts when he's working in a tighter space, where power may be more important than quickness. This is especially true if we make Armstead a tackle.  Personally, I see him more as a big end and think he may be the guy who rotates with Nink and Chandler Jones, though also comes inside periodically when they want a speedier tackle. I don't see him as a replacement for a guy like Wilfork, who has the size and power to play 3-4 NT, but I do think he has some flexibility to play end or, especially if he's next to a big guy like Wilfork, 4-3 tackle.

[/QUOTE]

Good stuff. Last year I thought he would come in and maybe give the team a little pass rush situationally inside, but after the lost season due to the infection...the heart thing...not playing for two years, I don't think this guy will make it past camp. Too bad, we need a guy like him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Remember when VW and the pats re did his contract years a go... IT WAS A DRAMA, remember the "good soldier" line, the press... it was ugly.

Vince is a cry baby when it comes to money... SO THIS ARMSTEAD NEWS IS AWSOME... leverage.

Hope vince want to be a part of this new and improved defense BB is forming.

GO PATS !!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

good to hear.  I'm tired of the media and former pats players calling out the org for using injured reserve or the injury report to stash players or misreport their injury.  The article said nothing of his surgery. 

[/QUOTE]

Well...it's NOT the same illness the Colts owner is currently suffering from...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Regarding Wilfork:

Everyone says he has no leverage but what we don't know is what offers his agent has solicited behind the scenes from the 31 other NFL teams? It could be Vince has a decent offer from someone and thus he is inflexible?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to NYC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Regarding Wilfork:

Everyone says he has no leverage but what we don't know is what offers his agent has solicited behind the scenes from the 31 other NFL teams? It could be Vince has a decent offer from someone and thus he is inflexible?

[/QUOTE]

Since he's under contract with the Patriots, wouldn't it be tampering if there were discussions with another team?

If Wilfork has leverage it's that the Pats currently have only about $6.5 million in cap space and Wilfork's current cap hit is $11.6 million.  Cutting him would free up $8 million more in cap space ($3.6 million of Wilfork's signing bonus would still be on the books as dead money).  The Pats might need that cap space if they plan to make any more moves in free agency and they certainly won't want to go into the season with very limited cap space.  So the Pats do have at least some motivation to move relatively quickly on Wilfork, either cutting him or restructuring. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

This is good news-kinda makes me think maybe the reason BB didnt take any Def lineman in free agency is because this guys coming Back along with a restructured VW and a draft pick at DT?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Given the low cost and low risk, I think the Armstead signing was a good one, but the question remains whether he can fill one of the slots on the 53-man roster.  That's not just a question about his injury status, it's also one of skill.  We haven't seen him compete yet for a position in the NFL.

I have seen Armstead play a lot, since he was on my local CFL team two years ago.  The guy is very quick, and was a dominant player as a CFL rookie.  I see lots of potential there.  But the CFL game is also very different.  The rules in the CFL require the defense to line up one yard back from the line of scrimmage, so the D and O linemen aren't nose to nose as they are in the NFL.  We'll need to see how Armstead adjusts when he's working in a tighter space, where power may be more important than quickness. This is especially true if we make Armstead a tackle.  Personally, I see him more as a big end and think he may be the guy who rotates with Nink and Chandler Jones, though also comes inside periodically when they want a speedier tackle. I don't see him as a replacement for a guy like Wilfork, who has the size and power to play 3-4 NT, but I do think he has some flexibility to play end or, especially if he's next to a big guy like Wilfork, 4-3 tackle.

Good stuff. Last year I thought he would come in and maybe give the team a little pass rush situationally inside, but after the lost season due to the infection...the heart thing...not playing for two years, I don't think this guy will make it past camp. Too bad, we need a guy like him.

I did read yesterday that BB has previously said that at 290 lbs he's a tackle.  Can see that in a 4-3, but I still don't see him as a Wilfork type.  

Look at this picture of him and tell me if you think he's got the body type to be a big interior D lineman in the NFL?  

http://cfl.ca/article/double-blue-release-dt-armond-armstead

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

[QUOTE]

Look at this picture of him and tell me if you think he's got the body type to be a big interior D lineman in the NFL?  

[QUOTE]

He definietly looks more like a DE in those pictures, but what does he look like today? If this kid still has the quickness I've seen in the videos I've watched, maybe he'll make a difference. Only time will tell if he can play in the NFL or not. Fingers crossed....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

He definietly looks more like a DE in those pictures, but what does he look like today? If this kid still has the quickness I've seen in the videos I've watched, maybe he'll make a difference. Only time will tell if he can play in the NFL or not. Fingers crossed....

[/QUOTE]

Maybe they've bulked him up, but those pictures are from two years ago, when he last played. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

[QUOTE]

Maybe they've bulked him up, but those pictures are from two years ago, when he last played. 

[/QUOTE]

At this point, they can call him a free safety for all I care.....I just hope he can play!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

At this point, they can call him a free safety for all I care.....I just hope he can play!!

This is what he can do.  Very quick interior lineman if they use him as a 4-3 tackle.

http://www.cp24.com/sports/plenty-of-surprises-at-halfway-point-of-cfl-season-1.945205 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not that much different in weight from when Seymour came into the league.   Similar size/frame too.

Now if he can play and stay on the field 2/3 as well as RS he will be special.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

So he wants to run track now?  Must have slimmed down a lot. Can we also trade him for a nice, young RB or WR? same as we did with Demps?

It will be nice to finally see him in a pats uni this summer but excuse me if I dont get excited.