Armond Armstead will be a stud in the NFL

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LegendofBoston1988. Show LegendofBoston1988's posts

Armond Armstead will be a stud in the NFL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZjbbph7O-g

He is a run stopping machine, and yet has excellent pass rushing abilities. I think BB might have really found a gem with this kid. He has a major chip on his shoulder too for not getting drafted by the NFL.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: Armond Armstead will be a stud in the NFL

We'll see how those skills translate at the NFL level.  No question he looks good against CFL talent.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

if he can do that in the NFL, it would be exactly what the Pats need.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to LegendofBoston1988's comment:

He is a run stopping machine, and yet has excellent pass rushing abilities. I think BB might have really found a gem with this kid. He has a major chip on his shoulder too for not getting drafted by the NFL.

I too was blown away by this video and others after we signed him - his workout video for nfl scouts is pretty impressive too. Someone mentioned the fact that defenders have to line up a little further away from the line of scimmage (which could of lead to some of his success), but still he looks like a major talent to me.

To me he moves better than any defensive lineman we have on the team right now. And he also looks like he moves better than almost all of the highly rated prospects coming out of the draft this year. I think this kid could of snuck into the first round this year based off his play in Cananda...well more likely second, however if that highlight reel was from the ncaa he would of been a first rounder. There's something to be said though, playing like that against full grown men...Canada or not.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1807930. Show user_1807930's posts

In response to LegendofBoston1988's comment:

With the exception of Vince, compare and contrast that film to any of the other Pats D linemen from last year. Consider that he was a first year player and got more reps than a first year player ever gets. His constant motor reminds me of Nink and Jones.

This type of signing, when they work out is what separates the winners and losers in the NFL. As a fan it is more fun to watch the unheralded and unknown become Monster players. Tom Brady or Troy Brown comes to mind. Not comparing him to Tom or Troy but these kind of moves are in many ways more exciting than watching the first Pats Bills game every year.

Hope we got a diamond and not a rough.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The kid has a great swim move, instincts for the ball and a motor, watch how he chases skill players down from behind.  At defensive end in a two gap 3/4 this kid will be a poor man's Richard Seymour.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

We'll see how those skills translate at the NFL level.  No question he looks good against CFL talent.

The D linemen have to line up a yard off the ball in the CFL as well, so they play in a bit more space.  It will be interesting to see how he does when he's face to face with the O linemen.  I really like Armstead.  In fact, as an Argos fan, I was a little disappointed to see him leave because he's really been an impact player.  Glad, though, he's with the Pats rather than some other NFL team. He's got great speed . . . I think the question will be whether he has the power it takes to succeed at tackle in the NFL, especially in the closer quarters that NFL DTs have to play in. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

Not sure about the number thing. Prolate may know as he follows the Argos.

Armstead has talent but I agree that some caution is warranted. I would view these CFL guys similar to how one would view a late round draft pick or UDFA that appears to have some raw talent. Some of them will raise their game to the next level but many will not. Most CFL offensive linemen could not play in the NFL so we'll see how they do against NFL caliber guys.

The one advantage is Armstead and Vega both have a couple years competing against grown men at the pro level, albeit in a less competitive league and so their development should be a little further along.  Of the two Armstead would appear to have more potential.

If either of these guys can help the Pats it's a bonus. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

In response to stegall85's comment:

Not sure about the number thing. Prolate may know as he follows the Argos.

Armstead has talent but I agree that some caution is warranted. I would view these CFL guys similar to how one would view a late round draft pick or UDFA that appears to have some raw talent. Some of them will raise their game to the next level but many will not. Most CFL offensive linemen could not play in the NFL so we'll see how they do against NFL caliber guys.

The one advantage is Armstead and Vega both have a couple years competing against grown men at the pro level, albeit in a less competitive league and so their development should be a little further along.  Of the two Armstead would appear to have more potential.

If either of these guys can help the Pats it's a bonus. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Agree.  Although to be fair, he was actually going to go in the 2nd or 3rd rd of last year's draft before the meds he took gave him the health issues, which caused teams to stay away.

His production likely wouldn't have been anywhere near what it was if he played in the NFL, but it's good he played and played well.

But, BB has some interesting piece like Francis, Armstead and then you throw in one last chance for Pryor and it makes for an interesting younger group on the DL.

Yeah. If they can add another big body in the middle, maybe Taylor? then it'll be an interesting group.

I do think Armstead has potential. There's some talent there and it's unfortunate he missed out on his opportunity to be drafted. He could be interesting as an interior sub-rusher. We'll see.

Vega is more of a long shot I think. Maybe PS. He played with his hand on the ground in the CFL and showed some ability as a pass rusher but I'm not sure where he fits with the Pats. He may have to show something on special teams to have a chance.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I'm no expert on line play, but it seems to me that the big difference between linemen in the CFL and NFL is that the CFL game requires quickness and agility more than power.  Both O and D linemen tend to be smaller, quicker athletes who can play in more space.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Who can say that Armstead will be a stud in the NFL?  At the very least, he is depth with upside.  The Pats got Vega too to add to the mix.  I like that BB and the personnel guys are looking at any/all talent with the idea of bringing in guys who can help.  I think part of this strategy is because the Pats have limited draft picks coming up in April, so they're hoping to find a guy or two through unconventional ways. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

In response to alfred-e-bob-neumier's comment:

I'll wait until he does it an NFL games on a consistant basis

He was a stud at UCS prior to Canada . . . we don't need him to do it consistantly just be able to do it from time-to-time and it will be an improvement over what we had! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

He's 6'5" 295lbs, he's quick, he's got a great spin move, he seems to have a great eye for the locating the ball and closes ground quick. i think he'll work out awesome, especially if they could bring in Abraham to teach him (and jones) how to do it. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Some guy on you tube posted:

40 time is 4.87, a 9 ft 10 inch broad jump and a 4.20 shuttle and a 7.10 3 cone drill time. For comparison sake his 40 would have ranked 5th among DTs at 2012 combine, while the other 3 times would have been #1 for DTs at 2012 combine.

don't know his source but sounds good to me.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to tenace4life's comment:

He was a stud at UCS prior to Canada . . . we don't need him to do it consistantly just be able to do it from time-to-time and it will be an improvement over what we had! 

But that's the thing, he wasn't. He was constantly injured, missing games every year he played and missing his entire senior year. 

I see him as a project, that will be in the rotation and hopefully improve with time. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

But that's the thing, he wasn't. He was constantly injured, missing games every year he played and missing his entire senior year. 

I see him as a project, that will be in the rotation and hopefully improve with time. 

Exactly. The last time I recall hearing about him was the heart attack. Sure he looks great in the CFL, but that is so difficult to gauge from a non-skill position perspective. 

I love his triangle numbers, but I won't get carried away from earth here, not until I can see him in pre-season at least.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ultpatfan. Show ultpatfan's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

Get ready to enjoy the CFL's preeminent pass rusher.  Big and strong he rag dolled a lot of lineman last year.  BB knows it, why do you think they will draft a WR with the 29th pick?

In response to rkarp's comment:

Exactly. The last time I recall hearing about him was the heart attack. Sure he looks great in the CFL, but that is so difficult to gauge from a non-skill position perspective. 

I love his triangle numbers, but I won't get carried away from earth here, not until I can see him in pre-season at least.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

I am assuming he's wearing two numbers because some of that footage is in preseason games?

I am wary of CFL players and how it translates into the NFL.  The O lines are much better than what you see there, but he's got some talent so we'll see how he looks in camp.

Chuckling at Mt Hurl's "blown away" comment.  lol

And imagine how hard I laughed when you thought Markel Carter was going to be really something when they payed him an extra 100 grand on the practice squad! LOL!! Did you ever even see any of his "highlights"? Guy ran around like he had cinder blocks on his feet.

Hey rusty, you turning into a draft expert now? LOL

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Anyone who's questioning this guy's talent because of CFL competition needs to look at the one guy who makes Vollmer and Solder look like chumps and who use to make Light look like one too. 

Cameron Wake is enough proof that a CFL pass-rusher can make a huge impact on a team's pass-rush. 

I'm excited to see what he brings to the team. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I think this could be a great find.