Armond Armstead will be a stud in the NFL

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Armond Armstead will be a stud in the NFL

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Anyone who's questioning this guy's talent because of CFL competition needs to look at the one guy who makes Vollmer and Solder look like chumps and who use to make Light look like one too. 

Cameron Wake is enough proof that a CFL pass-rusher can make a huge impact on a team's pass-rush. 

I'm excited to see what he brings to the team. 

Sorry 49 but cherry picking one guy coming out of the CFL doesn't mean the next guy will be any better. Now, I liked Armstead at LSU and I think he's got high potential but there is a reason why no team signed him as an UDFA and the Pats got him on a pretty low end futures contract. I know the heart condition has a bit to do with it but teams red shirt players with high potential all the time. The Pats especially do it by IRing them or PuPing them or stashing them on PS. Demps, Tarp, Cannon, Zusevics. It's actually one of the Pats favorite past times to find players who dropped in the draft due to injury or other issues and store them away for the next year. Now it has happened in the past that every team completely missed on talent or the switch doesn't flip with guys until they play in the CFL but I'm thinking of Armstead more as a replacement for Pyror at this point until I see what he can do against pro caliber OL. Lets face it, watching that video those OL had no clue. They wouldn't even make it on most teams PS's. Deadrick could dominant against the quality of OL I saw in that video. I've seen better OLs on some higher end college teams.

Again I hope Armstead proves something because he was a day 2 talent at LSU but to call him a stud without seeing him go against high level talent in the NFL is a bit of a reach at this point. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Being excited about the POSSIBILITIES a guy might bring is fine. Expectations are another. I am surprised at how many people are assuming that he "at least brings depth". He might not even make the team. Come on guys. Get real.

I am excited they got him. He LOOKS like he has potential. - And if I recall correctly he was not injured so much as had a heart problem. I could be confusing him with someone else. Not sure. But he is a question mark we can hope on. NOT someone who we can put on the opening day roster till he earns it.

His signing should not have much influence on the draft.... At least I would not want it to. Yet.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

He'll be a player, I'd bet my professional BDC scouting job on it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I have a correction and embarassed as a drafnik for making it, Armstead went to USC not LSU >.<

Thank you JJ for correcting me on the draft thread

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Question I have is...does armstead represent the pats 2013 DT draft pick, or does bb double dip? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Question I have is...does armstead represent the pats 2013 DT draft pick, or does bb double dip? 

I have to believe he will double dip. Pyror isn't even on the depth chart, Love was replaced by the end of the year, and Deadrick still remained so inconsistent to the point an unsized Francis stole the starting spot. They could use more talent next to Wilfork then they do at DE truthfully. Besides given his size and if h really is a sub 4.9 40 with great burst he might be moved to Nink's spot. BB really does like his starting DT's to be oversized. NT sized actually unless they are pure pass rushers. So Armstead could do to add 20-30lbs. However if he dropped 5-10 lbs and got quicker I could see him as an outside rshers wo could shift inside on passing downs

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I have to believe he will double dip. Pyror isn't even on the depth chart, Love was replaced by the end of the year, and Deadrick still remained so inconsistent to the point an unsized Francis stole the starting spot. They could use more talent next to Wilfork then they do at DE truthfully. Besides given his size and if h really is a sub 4.9 40 with great burst he might be moved to Nink's spot. BB really does like his starting DT's to be oversized. NT sized actually unless they are pure pass rushers. So Armstead could do to add 20-30lbs. However if he dropped 5-10 lbs and got quicker I could see him as an outside rshers wo could shift inside on passing downs

Have to agree he'll double dip, the interest was there to make a DT move with one of the Brown's players for Mallett.  Also Armstead is not a nose tackle regardless how much weight he puts on, he's too tall, he doesn't have the low center of gravity needed.  Besides using him inside and trying to pack weight on his frame would be counter productive to his pass rush strengths. I believe the switch back to more 3/4 is coming provided the DT we want is sitting there in the draft.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Have to agree he'll double dip, the interest was there to make a DT move with one of the Brown's players for Mallett.  Also Armstead is not a nose tackle regardless how much weight he puts on, he's too tall, he doesn't have the low center of gravity needed.  Besides using him inside and trying to pack weight on his frame would be counter productive to his pass rush strengths. I believe the switch back to more 3/4 is coming provided the DT we want is sitting there in the draft.

Though I agree BB likes bigger guys he also runs a very fluid D that isn't a straight 34 or 43. He likes to flex between it depending on scheme and opponent that week and the players on the DL support that notion as they can all play different positions depending on the D. Nink and Jone both have enough speed to play 43 DE's or 34 OLBs, Francis and Deadrick have played DE's and DT's regardless of D at that moment. Wilforks plays DE/DT/NT. My guess is BB will look for another DE/DT/NT hybrid in the 6'2"-6'4" range and 315+lbs. Luckily in this years draft there are 4 players that fit that description to a T with 2 of them actually playing all 3 positions at one point of another in their college careers: Jonathan Hankins DE/DT/NT 6'3" 320, J. Williams DE/DT/NT 6'3" 325, Jonathan Jenkins DT/NT 6'3" 350, S. Williams DE/DT 6'3" 315. All of which should be around pick #29 so we could have a great chance at grabbing at least one of them

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Bump!  Looks like most people here were giddy about him. I am not saying he cant play,Im saying you cant make the club from the tub, so he better get it together soon.

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

He'll be a player, I'd bet my professional BDC scouting job on it.

Health provided nothing has changed...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Bump!  Looks like most people here were giddy about him. I am not saying he cant play,Im saying you cant make the club from the tub, so he better get it together soon.

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

I'm probably the last person that gets excited about players they bring in on this board - I've literally peed my pants laughing watching guys like Markell Carter as we draft them - but this guy I thought was a real talent. Six foot five guys don't move like that unless they are 1st or second round picks...that's what I thought we were getting...looks like I'm wrong again.

Who know's? Maybe he comes back this week and looks like a young Seymore...more likely this kid isn't going to be playing this year...or ever. Too bad, hope he is alright.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I'm probably the last person that gets excited about players they bring in on this board - I've literally peed my pants laughing watching guys like Markell Carter as we draft them - but this guy I thought was a real talent. Six foot five guys don't move like that unless they are 1st or second round picks...that's what I thought we were getting...looks like I'm wrong again.

Who know's? Maybe he comes back this week and looks like a young Seymore...more likely this kid isn't going to be playing this year...or ever. Too bad, hope he is alright.

Ever the optimist... way to stick by your guns.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

the funniest part about this rethread is that was started in MArch and it was 5 names ago for Riding with the king

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to Sam-Adams' comment:

He's 6'5" 295lbs, he's quick, he's got a great spin move, he seems to have a great eye for the locating the ball and closes ground quick. i think he'll work out awesome, especially if they could bring in Abraham to teach him (and jones) how to do it. 

Related to what you were saying, the thing that jumped out to me the most was that his head was constantly turned towards the ball, even while shedding off blocks. It remains to be seen if he can shed off those blocks as easily in teh NFL, given OGs who are bigger, quicker and have better technique. IMO it might take him a lot of reps over at least 6-8 games before he adapts to that, as well as adapt to where OLs line up relative to the DL. Regardless, he will be a positive addition tot he DL.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Is there any chatter about what infection he got surgery for?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Is there any chatter about what infection he got surgery for?

I wish somebody would tell us...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Yeast infection.  Oh wait, that was Ras I.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

Yeast infection.  Oh wait, that was Ras I.

Suckasitus!

Sections
Shortcuts