Armstead having clotting issues

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

Armstead having clotting issues

Apparently Armstead is having clotting issues. This could potentially be very serious, in many cases it can be life threatening. Clotting issues could lead to stroke, heart attack, and pulmonary embolism. This poor guy can't catch a break. He has already had a heart attack at USC. They blamed it on injections of Toradol for pain that the USC medical staff administered to him. Let's hope this isn't as serious as it could potentially be.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2014/06/an_added_wrinkle_in_the_armond_armstead_mystery.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Re: Armstead having clotting issues

His football career is probably over.  What a shame.  Hope he stays healthy.  Life is more important.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I was high on Armstead for a long time, but I'm beginning to realize that his Health concerns are more serious that I originally thought.  I'm not projecting him to make the roster at this point.  I just hope for his sake that he is able to get healthy and live a good life.  Any production that NE is able to get out of him would be a huge bonus.  I'm rooting for him to get healthy, but not expecting to see him suit up for the Pats in a meaningful situation.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to dfitzp's comment:

Apparently Armstead is having clotting issues. This could potentially be very serious, in many cases it can be life threatening. Clotting issues could lead to stroke, heart attack, and pulmonary embolism. This poor guy can't catch a break. He has already had a heart attack at USC. They blamed it on injections of Toradol for pain that the USC medical staff administered to him. Let's hope this isn't as serious as it could potentially be.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2014/06/an_added_wrinkle_in_the_armond_armstead_mystery.html

This is a quote from that link...

in his lawsuit, Armstead's lawyers admitted that he had still not been cleared to play as of April and that he was having "clotting and other medical issues."

The fact that lawyers are involved and there is an active lawsuit, suggests to me that his non-participation may have more to do with his attorneys' advice, to put him in a better strategic position regarding his legal action.  You can bet that they want to continue to portray his condition as dire as they can.  Having him running around without any apparent limitations would not be helpful for them, I am sure.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to cyncalpatfan's comment:

This is a quote from that link...

in his lawsuit, Armstead's lawyers admitted that he had still not been cleared to play as of April and that he was having "clotting and other medical issues."

The fact that lawyers are involved and there is an active lawsuit, suggests to me that his non-participation may have more to do with his attorneys' advice, to put him in a better strategic position regarding his legal action.  You can bet that they want to continue to portray his condition as dire as they can.  Having him running around without any apparent limitations would not be helpful for them, I am sure.

[object HTMLDivElement]

If he was healthy and played to a high level he'd make far more in the form of a contract than he would in a lawsuit. So, I don't think this is just posturing as this info will chase of any team that might be interested in him if the Pats cut bait when he can't play because of the lawsuit. Makes no sense to fake this to get a couple million when you are risking tens of millions by not playing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

If he was healthy and played to a high level he'd make far more in the form of a contract than he would in a lawsuit. So, I don't think this is just posturing as this info will chase of any team that might be interested in him if the Pats cut bait when he can't play because of the lawsuit. Makes no sense to fake this to get a couple million when you are risking tens of millions by not playing.

That might make sense to you, or to me, but depending on the attorney...maybe not so much.  An attorney won't make anything if he simply goes on to make a living in the NFL.  They could potentially make millions off of his situation.  I would imagine that they have assured him that this will only benefit him financially. 

Another question would be, if his health truly is as tenuous as they make it sound...why would the Patriots continue to hold onto him?  Why not just cut him loose and focus your attention elsewhere?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

That might make sense to you, or to me, but depending on the attorney...maybe not so much.  An attorney won't make anything if he simply goes on to make a living in the NFL.  They could potentially make millions off of his situation.  I would imagine that they have assured him that this will only benefit him financially. 

Another question would be, if his health truly is as tenuous as they make it sound...why would the Patriots continue to hold onto him?  Why not just cut him loose and focus your attention elsewhere?

[object HTMLDivElement]

Because why not? They have 90 spots and his condition could change before they need to cut down the roster. He takes up no cap space right now and they already paid him his guaranteed money so there is no point in cutting him if there is even a small chance he could get better before cut down.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

If Armsteads clotting issues can be managed with blood thinning medications, then physically he can do pretty much anything he could do before he had these issues. So it probably wouldn't affect his on field play. It's what will happen if these clotting issues aren't responding to the blood thinners that is the problem. I'm sure the Patriots will give him every chance to prove he can stay healthy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

Because why not? They have 90 spots and his condition could change before they need to cut down the roster. He takes up no cap space right now and they already paid him his guaranteed money so there is no point in cutting him if there is even a small chance he could get better before cut down.

This is part of an article from April of this year, regarding AA's pending lawsuit...

By City News Service Posted: 04/02/14, 11:20 AM PDT |

0 Comments
    LOS ANGELES — Trial of former USC defensive end Armond Armstead’s lawsuit, alleging team doctors gave him painkillers that caused a heart attack and damaged his potential as an NFL player, may be delayed until next year, a judge said today.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Yvette Palazuelos said the number of pretrial motions were becoming a burden, but she left the trial set for June 23 for the time being. She asked lawyers to consider new trial dates, possibly in March or June 2015...

That date may have more to do with his current status than any real health concern, at this point.  I would bet that his attorneys don't want him on the field, before then.  Now, if the court proceedings get pushed to next year, we'll just have to see what happens.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Now we undrrstand the Williams interest

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

HGH is a very well known cause of blood clots..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Wish him the best and I am glad I never got excited about this guy like some others did. I assume the Pats are doing a favor keeping him on roster due to some type of medical coverage and being up in N.E.?  Otherwise....why is he still here wasting space?

The Pats missed out on Williams But they did sign this guy Seali'i Epenesa who is a D lineman soooo, just a matter of time I think.   The real guys who will be playing are Fork, Kelly, Easely, Jones, Vellano,etc

The rest of the guys are camp fodder barring a diamond in the rough being found.

"A lot of bookies are probably mad at us right now, but we don't give a damn, ... We're the champs!!"

Ty Law after his team defeated the Rams in SB 36.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Given his play in the CFL I find it hard to believe that blood thinners worked up north and not now...they are NOT a drug to be taken lightly and anyone on them has to be constantly monitored. Still, football is football and I still can't figure out why he was able to play before and cannot now due to a "clotting" issue...either it is a legal issue or the infection was the cause.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

Its a shame but not surprising because of the absurd expectations from one of the worst prediction-makers I've ever seen in wozzy. A game-changing first rounder lol

Does anyone have a worse track record than this guy? Even rusty is right more often.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

Given his play in the CFL I find it hard to believe that blood thinners worked up north and not now...they are NOT a drug to be taken lightly and anyone on them has to be constantly monitored. Still, football is football and I still can't figure out why he was able to play before and cannot now due to a "clotting" issue...either it is a legal issue or the infection was the cause.

Excellent point on your part regarding AA's ability to play pro ball without any problem in Canada.  That just bolsters my opinion that this is about the pending legal matter.  I guess we will know soon enough, once the court date comes and goes.  My money is on it being a legal matter and I fully expect to see him on the field once that is dealt with later this month.  Of course, if his court date gets pushed back then I have no predictions as to what might happen.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Ba Buy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Damn, hope he is ok for him and his family's sake. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Your not going to play a violent sport taking blood thinners you could bleed to death from a bloody nose or a cut. I don't buy it. 

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

Your not going to play a violent sport taking blood thinners you could bleed to death from a bloody nose or a cut. I don't buy it. 

Another good point.  Feels more and more like legal posturing.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

If Armsteads clotting issues can be managed with blood thinning medications, then physically he can do pretty much anything he could do before he had these issues. So it probably wouldn't affect his on field play. It's what will happen if these clotting issues aren't responding to the blood thinners that is the problem. I'm sure the Patriots will give him every chance to prove he can stay healthy.

This is incorrect, if he is put on a "blood thinner" he will NOT be playing contact sports. Period.

These "blood thinners" are not really blood thinners, they are clot preventing medications and when you take a hit to your head you can hemorrhage, it's very dangerous. If he is put on coumadin he will need to be rushed to the hospital to get vitamin K injections to allow his blood to clot before he bleeds out into his brain. When you are put on coumadin you need to have your INR (ability to clot) checked every couple of weeks to make sure you are taking the correct dosage - which is monitored by a coumadin clinic. There are other medications out there that are easier to manage than coumadin - no blood checks or special diet - but there is nothing to prevent you from bleeding/hemorrhaging when you arrive at the hospital (vitamin K injections). Vitamin K increases the ability of your body to clot, these new medications however inhibit the absorption of vitamin K.

Bruschi was allowed to continue his career after his stroke because the blood clot that went to his brain came from the common cause of a birth defect in his heart. Bruschi had surgery to repair the hole in his heart that caused his clotting issue, if he needed to go on coumadin his career would of been over right then and there.

There are filters they can install to "trap" blood clots for people that tend to get DVT's (deep vain thrombosis) - usually clots that develop in the calf muscles - to prevent them from traveling up into your heart...and then into your lungs (embolism). But clots are unpredictable, they can form anywhere, and the filter will not prevent you from getting a clot, just hopefully control where it travels to.

Armstead's career is over.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I wonder if he had a stroke?  Typically blood thinners are used to prevent them. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Honestly, it doesn't sound very positive for the kid.  Having watched him play in the CFL, I think he's got talent.  But he hasn't played in a long time now, and the hints we're getting about his medical condition make it sound like a serious and persistent one.  

Of course, I don't know for sure, but my gut tells me Armstead will be retiring from football this offseason. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

This is incorrect, if he is put on a "blood thinner" he will NOT be playing contact sports. Period.

These "blood thinners" are not really blood thinners, they are clot preventing medications and when you take a hit to your head you can hemorrhage, it's very dangerous. If he is put on coumadin he will need to be rushed to the hospital to get vitamin K injections to allow his blood to clot before he bleeds out into his brain. When you are put on coumadin you need to have your INR (ability to clot) checked every couple of weeks to make sure you are taking the correct dosage - which is monitored by a coumadin clinic. There are other medications out there that are easier to manage than coumadin - no blood checks or special diet - but there is nothing to prevent you from bleeding/hemorrhaging when you arrive at the hospital (vitamin K injections). Vitamin K increases the ability of your body to clot, these new medications however inhibit the absorption of vitamin K.

Bruschi was allowed to continue his career after his stroke because the blood clot that went to his brain came from the common cause of a birth defect in his heart. Bruschi had surgery to repair the hole in his heart that caused his clotting issue, if he needed to go on coumadin his career would of been over right then and there.

There are filters they can install to "trap" blood clots for people that tend to get DVT's (deep vain thrombosis) - usually clots that develop in the calf muscles - to prevent them from traveling up into your heart...and then into your lungs (embolism). But clots are unpredictable, they can form anywhere, and the filter will not prevent you from getting a clot, just hopefully control where it travels to.

Until I hear/read something from a doctor of his and not one of his attorneys, I will remain skeptical that this is anything more than legal posturing for his lawsuit.  Last I read, his court date is tomorrow.  We will soon see.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Good post hurl . . . i think we discovered the real subject you teach . . . biology, no?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Until I hear/read something from a doctor of his and not one of his attorneys, I will remain skeptical that this is anything more than legal posturing for his lawsuit.  Last I read, his court date is tomorrow.  We will soon see.

Hey I hope you're right, it would be terrible if this kid is having "clotting issues", because his career will be over. You have to admit though that it doesn't sound good...he's had one heart attack already, an infection, hasn't played in a year and hasn't been seen in organized team activities.

Sections
Shortcuts