Armstead Non Injury Reserve List

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: Armstead Non Injury Reserve List

In response to russgriswold's comment:

You do realize he went undrafted due to very rare circumstances, right?  Do you even know what you are talking about here?

Probably not.

Of course I do, it was very well publicized.

My point is it's just another low risk high reward signing that possibly might not pan out. Why continue to go after these low risk high reward players when many don't work out?  Would have much rather seen the Pats sign a less risky player.  I'm sure there were several available this off season that would be adding depth to the position right now.

Adrian Wilson is another one of these low risk high reward signings.  Here he is possibly on the bubble, why sign him in the first place when there were quality safeties available? Now those safeties are gone and the Pats are stuck.  

Stop shopping at the bargain basement stores trying to find a gem.  Spend the money!  Heck, instead of signing two or 3 risky players that won't be here 2 years from now, sign 1 solid player that will be here 2 years from now.   Do you not see the frustration of this?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

The first 6 games don't worry me, of course ask me again in week 7, howver it could be a good thing to have Gronk, Ballard, Armstead and the like step in on week seven when the schedule ramps up.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

You do realize he went undrafted due to very rare circumstances, right?  Do you even know what you are talking about here?

Probably not.

Of course I do, it was very well publicized.

My point is it's just another low risk high reward signing that possibly might not pan out. Why continue to go after these low risk high reward players when many don't work out?  Would have much rather seen the Pats sign a less risky player.  I'm sure there were several available this off season that would be adding depth to the position right now.

Adrian Wilson is another one of these low risk high reward signings.  Here he is possibly on the bubble, why sign him in the first place when there were quality safeties available? Now those safeties are gone and the Pats are stuck.  

Stop shopping at the bargain basement stores trying to find a gem.  Spend the money!  Heck, instead of signing two or 3 risky players that won't be here 2 years from now, sign 1 solid player that will be here 2 years from now.   Do you not see the frustration of this?

it seems to me that all of the sure ones are under contract at the right price or are free agents looking for more money. I don't think there are a lot at the Dline position. BB has a rolling interview list with free agents. I think it is hard to find real value for players 45-53

Now have there been players that could have been drafted [ i think so- but jeez the draft, after round 2, is a pure crap shoot. If you look at the measurables (40yd etc) there are a ton of guys in later rounds or undrafted that might pan out. Do you have Free agents? ( i am not trying to be a smart alec, its a real question)

I guess to answer this we may need to get away from the Pats and look to other successful teams to see how they have done it. The Giants 2ndary and lb's have always been a problem, GB still has oline problems, Dallas still has oline and 2ndary problems. the Jests have QB problems LOL and on and on and on. i just think what the Pats do is not unique- I don't really remember that every one thought Rodney H was the answer either- I do agree with you that it is frustrating but its the game we have today

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:

I think it is hard to find real value for players 45-53

But that's the thing.  Are we now calling Armstead a 45-53 guy?  Because I sure remember when he was signed and then going through camp that he was being looked at as a big piece of the defense by several posters here.  Now it seems these same people are downplaying their initial enthusiasm. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

It could be they knew all along this was the plan.  You are not the GM and don't know the details either.

You are not superior to BB.   He wouldn't be starting over Vince or Kelly anyway.  It could be like a mid season trade acquisition if they can ween him in in the middle or later in the year, as a sub rusher.

You act like this is a bad gameplan for Armstead. Odd.

Brady blew SB 46. Just get over it, please.  Stop looking for these small window opportunities to deem anything BB does as  some kind of factual failed move.

Every time you troll with your agenda, I will remind why we lost SB. Brady and Welker. 

And YOU almost had a reasonable thread here until you went all 3rd grade on it, how about just discussing football like grownups instead of carrying over garbage from other ruined threads...

Dude, go to the source.  Why do you think he tried to slide in what he said? I don't initiate anything here. Every time I see a shot at BB and his incredible thorough GM approach, I will remind people like him how dumb they sound.

We should have won the Sb in 2011, we didn't, and it wasn't because of BB the GM or coach off the lockout.

LAst year, we had two THREE MAJOR injuries to arguably the best players at their positions in the AFC last year.  Gronk, Talib and what would have been the DROY in Chandler Jones. We lost in the AFC title game. These aren't GM problems via BB. 

He and his buddies look for ways to troll our board and knee jerking statements like "bad move".

SInce Armstead has been out with an infection like Gronk but they are keeping Armstead around and not IRing him outright, doesn't that tell a reasonable Pats fan that they think highly enough of him to keep him on the roster for 2013 (after Week 6)?

Based on his not being available, I see this as good news, not bad news.

Absolutely clueless.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tydog. Show Tydog's posts

He must have gotten one helluva infection.  I have gotten it before and I know of others who had to be hospitalized because of it. Usually its very serious at first but once the staph is gone the body heals pretty quickly and guys are back to 100% within a week or two.

"I swear it upon Zues the most exceptional runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler"  Socrates

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

But that's the thing.  Are we now calling Armstead a 45-53 guy?  Because I sure remember when he was signed and then going through camp that he was being looked at as a big piece of the defense by several posters here.  Now it seems these same people are downplaying their initial enthusiasm. 

Who knows? Armstead was intended to be a rotational guy with people like Francis, Cunningham, likely guys who could play both 4-3 DT, but also DE, kind of like an Andre Carter, but maybe used more so as a sub rusher behind Vince and Kelly. How many starting spots do you think are available across the front line? The only question would have been if BB wanted to go to a lot more 3-4 and Armstead was a possible 3-4 DE starter here, with Jones moving to 3-4 OLB.

BB used 3-4 the other night and wanted Jones at DE, so that's either to see how he looks or BB was going to throw caution to the wind and go a bit smaller at 3-4 DE the whole time.

You and others seem to need this odd media reassurance on who BB brings here. It's so old. It's like clockwork, too. You probably did cartwheels when BB paid the highest price for Adalius Thomas in 2007. He hasn't done that since Thomas had an average 2008 and a subpar 2009 before being cut.  

I find it stunning that someone who claimed to have followed BB's career, even back to Cleveland where he was trying to implement his now legendary teambuilding formula, is whining about every single move or non-move he makes.

You seem to not realize what BB knows what he has, who is available, what the market is, how much someone might cost, who he needs to pay in the future on his own team, etc.

I'm tired of the low risk high reward players being signed here year after year.  This was another one of those signings that doesn't look like it is going to pan out for this season, at the least.   People were big on this pick up when it was announced, quality depth is needed, he was being counted on.  Others were available.  Higher cost but probably a better choice.

AND as I have mentioned, it also looks like Adrian Wilson is on the bubble, another guy who was signed and talked about as being a major player.   Might not be the case.  Again, he was a bargin, a low risk high reward player.  There were many quality safeties out there the pats could have picked up who would have been very good for the team for several years. Yet Adrian Wilson was chosen. 

So here are two spots that could be missing quality depth because BB's bargain basement shopping.  Time is of the essence, folks.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

For the life of me, I don't understand what the problem is with the signing of Armstead.  As was pointed out, he wasn't taking a spot in favor of a player who could play well now.  Moreover, the issue of depth can and probably will be addressed when the entire league cuts down to 53 per squad.  That's when I've always thought the D-line depth issue would be addressed.  The guy returns after week 6 and then we'll see.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

For the life of me, I don't understand what the problem is with the signing of Armstead.  As was pointed out, he wasn't taking a spot in favor of a player who could play well now.  Moreover, the issue of depth can and probably will be addressed when the entire league cuts down to 53 per squad.  That's when I've always thought the D-line depth issue would be addressed.  The guy returns after week 6 and then we'll see.

Before Armstead's current infection situation, what/where did you envision him playing?  He was being talked up as being a major contributor to the defense prior to this situation.  Doesn;t seem to be the case now so the lack of depth bothers me.  It doesn't you? Just another low risk high reward signing having a negative impact on the defense.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Who says Adrian Wilson is on the bubble?  The media? The anti-BB media?  He has not been talked about being a "major" player later in his career. A key, strategic player that BB can use, yes. The question was always would he play 3 downs or not. It appears the answer may be no. Or, it may be yes.  It's not like Steve Gregory or Tavon Wilson have lit it up in these games here.

Also, Adrian Wilson looked better on Brandon Pettigrew and Fauria, as well as in run support than any of our other Safeties.

Talk to Brady about time.  He blew SB 46. Absolutely blew with his longtime best friend, Wes Welker.

We're moving on from that. This isn't about personally trying to win a SB just for Tom Brady here. It's a team game.  

Name the others. You keep saying others were available, but it appears Tommy Kelly will be a steal.

NAME THE OTHER SAFETIES AVAILABLE IN FA please.  And they better have been at least Pr Bowl level in 2011 at Strong Safety, please.

Why must you bring Brady into all your discussions?  Do you seriously think that adds some type of leverage to your arguments?  It looks foolish.

I have not seen Adrian Wilson do anything out on the field in the past 3 preseason games. Yes, many reports of Wilson on the bubble.  And probably by people who are watching and studying the coaches tapes and there watching the games in person.

"And they better have been at least Pr Bowl level in 2011 at Strong Safety, please."  Are you calling Adrian Willson a pro bowl saftey right now?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Who knows? Armstead was intended to be a rotational guy with people like Francis, Cunningham, likely guys who could play both 4-3 DT, but also DE, kind of like an Andre Carter, but maybe used more so as a sub rusher behind Vince and Kelly. How many starting spots do you think are available across the front line? The only question would have been if BB wanted to go to a lot more 3-4 and Armstead was a possible 3-4 DE starter here, with Jones moving to 3-4 OLB.

BB used 3-4 the other night and wanted Jones at DE, so that's either to see how he looks or BB was going to throw caution to the wind and go a bit smaller at 3-4 DE the whole time.

You and others seem to need this odd media reassurance on who BB brings here. It's so old. It's like clockwork, too. You probably did cartwheels when BB paid the highest price for Adalius Thomas in 2007. He hasn't done that since Thomas had an average 2008 and a subpar 2009 before being cut.  

I find it stunning that someone who claimed to have followed BB's career, even back to Cleveland where he was trying to implement his now legendary teambuilding formula, is whining about every single move or non-move he makes.

You seem to not realize what BB knows what he has, who is available, what the market is, how much someone might cost, who he needs to pay in the future on his own team, etc.

I'm tired of the low risk high reward players being signed here year after year.  This was another one of those signings that doesn't look like it is going to pan out for this season, at the least.   People were big on this pick up when it was announced, quality depth is needed, he was being counted on.  Others were available.  Higher cost but probably a better choice.

AND as I have mentioned, it also looks like Adrian Wilson is on the bubble, another guy who was signed and talked about as being a major player.   Might not be the case.  Again, he was a bargin, a low risk high reward player.  There were many quality safeties out there the pats could have picked up who would have been very good for the team for several years. Yet Adrian Wilson was chosen. 

So here are two spots that could be missing quality depth because BB's bargain basement shopping.  Time is of the essence, folks.

So with respect, just who are you thinking of as FA's at Saftey and Dline that we didn't get? ??? Who did we lose?

Look, i never knew if he would even make the team. He has been injured so we don't know anymore than we did. Maybe he is in the top  44 - which is 2nd team -cause i  don't think we have a 4th DT now. I just don't know. He always had to be a depth guy after our known front line. this guy does have a pedigree and he was worth looking at, at the price he was signed.

We will read about guys all over the league this year who had been over looked and are now playing well. but who are they now???

I was surprised that we got rid of our depth with Love and Deadrick - and they were pretty decent but certainly not great- so we move on

Again this is what happens in a capped league and i wish i knew who to get. if i did everyone would know him and he would be looking to start -

And again I share your frustration. all i know is that i am going to root for any guy out there

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotrain. Show patriotrain's posts

fat virgin, i'm not, i was actually backing you rusty vs butt cheese , at least you' re a pats fan on a pats board, i also agree with you in a cap era you can't sink all your dough on the high priced free agent, pats go to playoffs each year because no one manages cap better than BB

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Lots of posters do this with every new guy we pick up.  A. Wilson was going to be Rodney Harrison too, and Wilfork and Haynesworth together were going to be unstoppable.  Best to take these predictions with a grain of salt.  It's rarely as good or as bad as fans say.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

As far as Armstead's role, lots of people were predicting defensive tackle or 3-4 DE.  These predictions seem mostly based on his size.  However, Canadian football is very different in that the defensive linemen have to stay one yard back from the LOS.  That means they are playing in more space and quickness is maybe more important than size and power.  In the CFL Armstead did well mostly because of his quick feet combined with his size.  But he wasn't really grinding in the trenches head to head like he'd have to do in the middle of an NFL line. Maybe he could do that, but I could also see his best position being 4-3 LDE.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Before Armstead's current infection situation, what/where did you envision him playing?  He was being talked up as being a major contributor to the defense prior to this situation.  Doesn;t seem to be the case now so the lack of depth bothers me.  It doesn't you? Just another low risk high reward signing having a negative impact on the defense.

I expected him to compete for a spot along the D-line.  Some projected DT others DE in a 4-3 set.  I recall a discussion of him on this board as a potential major contributor.  As I generally do with most new additions who have little or no time in the NFL, I took a wait and see attitude.  I thought and still do that the kid had potential to contribute.  

With respect to the D line, I think if you look in any thread where a discussion of depth in the D line and I posted, you'll see me saying what I've said here.  When the teams make cutdowns to 53 there will probably be some decent D line help available.  It's typically the way BB has picked up depth at a number of positions over the years.  

I don't see Armstead going to PUP as that big of a deal, honestly.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Unless his injuries and age are far worse than I suspect, Adrian Wilson will start at Strong Safety on day one.  

You have to pass a physical when a new team signs you I'm fairly certain.  That being said and just like I said before on another thread, posters who wanted Wilson to go out and "prove himself" in the preseason by blowing up an undrafted free agent WR who was trying to catch on as the Lions 5th or 6th receiver are deluding themselves.

When you've been an All Pro and Pro Bowl player as often and as long as Wilson has, you have nothing to prove.  Belichick can cue up game film from last year, has seen plenty of Wilson in practice to know what he does or doesn't have, there's no need to risk injuring him in preseason for him to be ready, no more than Wilfork or McCourty.

As for Armstead he may or may not be healthy from his infection or it might be a load of malarkey, there have been many times in the past where BB stashed players on the PUP to give his teams a mid-season injection of talent, especially in situation like this where Sudfeld has been effective so Gronk could easily wait, same with the emergence of Fortson who can very well hold the fort down until late in the season where a healthy, energized DT/DE prospect like Armstead could breathe new life into a tired unit.  He could play either the 3/4 end or 4/3 end in my estimation, if he proves to be stout against the run he could play more along the interior (4/3 tackle) as well.

You play to be healthy and streaking going into the post season, there are no rings awarded in the first half of the season and preseason is an indicator of nothing except for the young players who have to prove themselves.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

2 things

1. Quality Depth- there isnt a team in this league with "Quality Depth" at   every position - the closest is SF,Seat.Atl,Houst and they don't either - (What ever Quality Depth is)

and the rest don't neccesarily have 22 Quality starters.
    Quality Starter meaning - a player in top 12 at each position

2. When TB goes, if we do not have an elite qb , we probalby wont make the PO's - and unless we are in the right year with a top 3 pick or unless we get another Hof in pick 196 like the Colts got PM and Luck at # 1 -        I really wouldn't worry about anything else.

thats just the way it is in 2013,

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

When your draft position is bargain basement every year for 12-13 years straight, you had better learn to shop the bargain basement. Since it looks like shopping the bargain basement for low risk/high reward guys is the only way to put a competitive team on the field year after year for 12-13 years, in the salary cap era, I'll take it. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

When your draft position is bargain basement every year for 12-13 years straight, you had better learn to shop the bargain basement. Since it looks like shopping the bargain basement for low risk/high reward guys is the only way to put a competitive team on the field year after year for 12-13 years, in the salary cap era, I'll take it. 

No, I don't buy that.  Plenty of good players available when the Pats decide to trade back.  Also reports of Belichick going against the scouts to pick players that the scouting department didn't agree with.  It's not that they are drafting in the bargain basement end of the draft every year, its that they trade back to even bigger bargain players. 

Concerning free agency, there are always plenty of good players the the Pats end up passing on in order to get those low risk/high reward players.  This off season they could have got many quality players but instead of taking one quality guy that would be an impact on the team they get 3 guys that will probably get cut.  Happens every year.

They could have got one of these guys and made a bigger impact on defense... For safety position I would have thrown money at Jairus Byrd from the Bills if he wasnt franchised by them.  But even if he hit the market do you think BB would have shown him the money?  I  liked Goldson and Quin too.  Think Huff could have been given a close look at and wouldn't have mind seeing Reed or Pollard walk through those doors instead of having Adrian Wilson.

For Cornerback give me Cortland Finnegan or Keenan Lewis or Shawn Smith?

Could the Pats have spent the money to get one at least one of these guys who would have made a bigger impact then Adrian Wilson or Dennard/Arrington?  

They got Tommy Kelly at a 2 year $5 mil contract.  It looks like he is going to work out, but he is 32.  Why not go after a young Henry Melton or Desmond Bryant and spend some money on talented younger players that can be in NE for longer then a year.... Mark Anderson, Andre Carter Haynesworth (not even a year)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

lets face it, Love and Deadrick were dropped, and this most of this board, led by Wozzy, thought AA would be pro bowl-esque. this entire board thought the PAts were counting on AA to contribute in a significant way...

now that he is not, the PAts are scouring the waiver wire

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

lets face it, Love and Deadrick were dropped, and this most of this board, led by Wozzy, thought AA would be pro bowl-esque. this entire board thought the PAts were counting on AA to contribute in a significant way...

Not to be confrontational, rkarp, but I think you may be overstating your case here.  I can assure you that I was not counting on him to that level. As I stated above, I though he had the potential to contribute but pro-bowl-esque?  Not really.

My postion has been for quite some time that when it's time for all of the clubs to cut to 53 there will be decent DL depth out there.   I suspect that I am not alone in this regard on this board.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Not to be confrontational, rkarp, but I think you may be overstating your case here.  I can assure you that I was not counting on him to that level. As I stated above, I though he had the potential to contribute but pro-bowl-esque?  Not really.

My postion has been for quite some time that when it's time for all of the clubs to cut to 53 there will be decent DL depth out there.   I suspect that I am not alone in this regard on this board.

Thank you rkarp for sharing what you seen on here when Armstead was signed because I know for a fact when he was signed people on here were all over him as a great find, the next best thing in the DL,  and how he was going to be a huge contributor for the defense.  There was mad praise for him with Youtube vids being posted.  Seriously, from what I remember I was practically ready to tweet the guy congratulating him on his pro bowl selection before he even put on a Patriots jersey based on threads about him here.  Now it's talk about him as always being a 47-53 type roster guy now that there is an issue with him.

And ATJ, I didn't see anything where rkarp was calling you out on this.  As for DL depth out there once cutdowns are made, ok but that kind of goes against what I have been saying here all along in this thread.  Do you want depth or quality depth?  If you want quality depth then it was out there during the offseason.  Now anybody signed will be, you guessed it...........  low risk/high reward.  Yippy!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I don't back down in the least that Armstead will be a solid player health provided, nobody said Pro Bowl (only you), just that we would have another serviceable starting DT.  

This is preseason, Belichick is scouring the waiver wire at all times, if Armstead is ready to play midseason I'm sure we can survive until then...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Thank you rkarp for sharing what you seen on here when Armstead was signed because I know for a fact when he was signed people on here were all over him as a great find, the next best thing in the DL,  and how he was going to be a huge contributor for the defense.  There was mad praise for him with Youtube vids being posted.  Seriously, from what I remember I was practically ready to tweet the guy congratulating him on his pro bowl selection before he even put on a Patriots jersey based on threads about him here.  Now it's talk about him as always being a 47-53 type roster guy now that there is an issue with him.

And ATJ, I didn't see anything where rkarp was calling you out on this.  As for DL depth out there once cutdowns are made, ok but that kind of goes against what I have been saying here all along in this thread.  Do you want depth or quality depth?  If you want quality depth then it was out there during the offseason.  Now anybody signed will be, you guessed it...........  low risk/high reward.  Yippy!

TFB12, I didn't see rkarp as calling me out either.  Didn't think I came across as defensive but sometimes it's tough to tell on here.   I was more speaking to the broad brush approach that I perceived rkarp as taking.  Using the term '. . . the entire board. . .' is a bit broad and that's why I responded the way I did.

With respect to the DL depth issue, I think our differences are more a matter of degree than anything else.  We know BB went after Kelly and that seems to be universally embraced as an excellent signing (although I seem to recall a naysayer or two).  With respect to whether you pursue FAs while they're out before the start of camp or after the cutdowns is simply a matter of how the team chooses to spend its money.  I don't have as big a problem with the way BB approaches it as you do but only time will tell (and that means as the season unfolds) if BB's approach works.

Now with regard to Armstead, I think entirely too much is being made of him going on the PUP.  Assuming he's ready after week 6, what is wrong with an infusion of fresh meat at a position that gets beaten upon game after game by guys weighing in excess of 300 lbs?  I'm not trying to spin it - I'm merely saying that although I'd prefer him healthy at the start of the season, I have no problem if he's ready by week 6.

Sections
Shortcuts