Armstead Retires

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Armstead Retires

http://www.patriots.com/news/article-1/Patriots-DL-Armond-Armstead-announces-his-retirement/be77f528-b588-4756-a3ae-ac5d957917d6

Shame we'll never get to see him in a Pats uni.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Re: Armstead Retires

Tough break for the kid, his health issues have to be pretty significant. I hope he has everything under control so he can lead a normal life outside of football.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Just about to post it myself.  A tough break to be sure.  Wish the kid well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

That was coming.  He wasn't on the field.  MRSA can destroy a healthy player.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Smart choice.  Health comes first.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

MRSA can destroy a healthy player.

He had MRSA?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I posted this almost 3 weeks ago

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

He had MRSA?

Yes, which is what forced him to miss all last season, but recently I believe he had blood clotting issues so.... yeah, he hung it up

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Well, this does two things...

Lays a lot of the hope in Armstead to rest and

not that he had a roster spot, but it makes deciding the 53 a little easier

But, sad to hear wish him well

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I posted this almost 3 weeks ago

Considering this announcement was made today I don't think you did.  You may have speculated that it was going to happen (I can't speak to that since I haven't been posting much this offseason).  That isn't the same thing as an official announcement.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

Who?

"Don't touch my Leatherhelmet!!"

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Regardless of what rkrap posted, I don't think this comes as a surprise to anyone on this board.  He obviously was battling health issues and hopefully he gets well and good luck to him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

It's not like I didn't call it a dumb azz move the minute it was made. Another brilliant move by our GM, the Dead Money King.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

isn't that a rumor?  My understanding is that he's had prior heart problems.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's not like I didn't call it a dumb azz move the minute it was made. Another brilliant move by our GM, the Dead Money King.

[/QUOTE]

lol

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

"Armstead suffered a heart attack while playing for USC, a medical event which he has blamed on unsolicited injections of the pain medication Toradol. That led to a lawsuit against the USC team physician, University Park Health Center, and an unnamed pharmaceutical company for unspecified damages, claiming the improperly administered Toradol injections caused the heart attack and affected his NFL career"

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2014/07/16/after-several-medical-battles-armond-armstead-finally-announces-his-retirement/

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah… that 405k against the cap last year and the zero against the this years cap is a killer.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah… that 405k against the cap last year and the zero against the this years cap is a killer.

[/QUOTE]

Hey pal, we have no use for your facts in this here forum. So, take that accurate information elsewhere. Come back when you can bring some gossip, innuendo, hate (especially hate), exaggeration, resentment, envy, over-the-top rumor and/or speculation. That's what makes this place what it is.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrums. Show wonderdrums's posts

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

isn't that a rumor?  My understanding is that he's had prior heart problems.

[/QUOTE]

He had a heart attack at USC and is currently in a lawsuit in regards to painkillers he was given that led to it. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think that was the issue.  I wasn't happy with this signing when it happened either, my reasoning was because when many others were available this guy was chosen.  Just another  giant reach that turned out to be another failure of a signing.  Kind of like Haynesworth except this guy never even stepped onto the field.  I feel bad he has to retire and we didn't get a chance to see him play, but I'm not at all shocked about it.  This is exactly why I wasn't happy about it in the beginning. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Regardless of what rkrap posted, I don't think this comes as a surprise to anyone on this board.  He obviously was battling health issues and hopefully he gets well and good luck to him.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

You'd be shocked. Way back in June when news first struck about his condition again I said not to expect anything and it was worth the sign but he wasn't someone we should have counted for depth and some (not all) jumped on me saying that it was just a ploy by his legal team and that he'd show me and it was a brilliant signing from BB. Now it's not a bad signing by any means (unless the thought he would play prevented them from getting a better DT) but way to many people on here were counting on him to play from the beginning.

I'm glad he retired, health comes first and foremost. I wish the best for the guy and what he got from the Pats should help in his treatment. Now hopefully he can get better and l-i-v-e a long life.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think that was the issue.  I wasn't happy with this signing when it happened either, my reasoning was because when many others were available this guy was chosen.  Just another  giant reach that turned out to be another failure of a signing.  Kind of like Haynesworth except this guy never even stepped onto the field.  I feel bad he has to retire and we didn't get a chance to see him play, but I'm not at all shocked about it.  This is exactly why I wasn't happy about it in the beginning. 

[/QUOTE]

According to tcal it was "Another brilliant move by our GM, the Dead Money King."

What exactly was the down side of the signing? It was a low risk high reward signing…  They signed him mid January last year before the combine, before free agency and before the draft. The 405k was not going to preclude them from signing anyone else. They brought Kelly in and thought with him and Vince 2 guys who haven't missed many games in their careers they would be solid at DT. I agree they got caught thin at DT but it wasn't because of the 405K they invested in Armstead. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think Eng hits the nail on the head.  Nothing at all wrong with signing Armstead.  It was even a very good gamble at the price.  But what drove me nuts was the way some posters claimed Signing Armstead was some brilliant move because he was going to be an impact player.  Why do fans do this?  Until the guy performs on the field, you can't count him as a chicken.  Too many of these eggs crack.

Jake Bequette's another one of these guys who was gonna be a star . . . 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

I thought it was a good signing and still do. Not everthing works out but this came at a minimal cost financially and did not cost the Pats a draft pick.

A team can't fix all their holes every year through the draft and it's even harder picking at the end of every round. If Armstead had turned into half the player Cameron Wake has become, it would have given the DL a big boost.

I wish the guy good health going forward.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

"It was a low risk high reward signing…"

Sorry ghost but it was a dumb azz signing.  We were in desperate need of Defensive line help and we sign some CFL nobody with a bad ticker.  Another name for the BB failure list.  Oh and exactly when did 1/2 a million become chump change to the cheapest GM in the business?