Arthur Jones can we afford him ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoyle. Show hoyle's posts

Arthur Jones can we afford him ?

Not sure the Pats want to go this route in free agency ...  but a guy like this gives you a better run defense .

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: Arthur Jones can we afford him ?

man, the idea of having Chandler and Arthur playing on the same line sounds amazing. Arty is a great run stuffer and can gget to the QB in situations as well..

but, I think the money is too much. we have other things to address first (edelman, talib) and Kelly and VW come back next year with Siliga and Chris Jones doesnt make for a bad 4 man DT rotation

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Personally I'd let Talib walk. It would take some doing but they might be able to squeeze him in with some creative contract work and a Wilfork extension. We do need a DT and he has the size to play DT. Having a line of Wilfork, Jones, Jones, and Nink with Kelly, Siliga, other Jones and a draft pick would make that one heck of a strength. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Isn't he a defensive end? I am fine with Nink and Jones. Is there any reason to believe Wilfork will not be back next year? I actually think the defense is on an upswing. If they can't keep Talib, get a cornerback and a WR in free agency. Get a DT, TE and an O lineman in the draft. I don't care about college football so I have no idea who is good at any of those positions. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to ccnsd's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Isn't he a defensive end?

[/QUOTE]

yes, in a 3-4 which means he could be a DT in a 4-3 scheme (which we run) he is big enough but athletic enough to play DE on both scheme and DT on 4-3

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Personally I'd let Talib walk. It would take some doing but they might be able to squeeze him in with some creative contract work and a Wilfork extension. We do need a DT and he has the size to play DT. Having a line of Wilfork, Jones, Jones, and Nink with Kelly, Siliga, other Jones and a draft pick would make that one heck of a strength. 

[/QUOTE]

Talib is my first thing to get done come March, imo. He's single-handedly changed the attitude of this D and made them more diverse.

i wouldnt over pay for him but if the deal is right, we need to take it

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Isn't he a defensive end?

[/QUOTE]

yes, in a 3-4 which means he could be a DT in a 4-3 scheme (which we run) he is big enough but athletic enough to play DE on both scheme and DT on 4-3

[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Talib is my first thing to get done come March, imo. He's single-handedly changed the attitude of this D and made them more diverse.

i wouldnt over pay for him but if the deal is right, we need to take it

[/QUOTE]

When he was healthy he looked great, then he got injured (like every year he's played in the league), now he hasn't looked close to the same. I'd even say at points that Ryan's looked as good. Given that hip flexor keeps coming up in his career and he can't stay healthy and has been inconsistant through his career unless the price is right I'm ok with not resigning him. Don't need to give out another good sized contract to someone who will only give you it's value 50% of the season

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PhatVirgin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

and who would replace Talib?  Talib is a key cog to the improvement in pass defense. Not perfect, but gave enough flexibility to the secondary and taking pressure of McCourty in general. Can Ryan step into his place?

[/QUOTE]

I'd look for a #2CB type of vet and have a rotation of him, Ryan, and Dennard. Lets face it Talib hasn't been nearly the same since his injury. The last 6 games he's looked closer to average than a top 5 CB from t first 6 games. Considering his injury history and that this isn't the first time that hip has given him issues do you really want to invest a lot of money into him? Unless he comes for a reasonable shorter term deal I wouldn't want to put that type of money into him

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to PhatVirgin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

and who would replace Talib?  Talib is a key cog to the improvement in pass defense. Not perfect, but gave enough flexibility to the secondary and taking pressure of McCourty in general. Can Ryan step into his place?

[/QUOTE]

I'd look for a #2CB type of vet and have a rotation of him, Ryan, and Dennard. Lets face it Talib hasn't been nearly the same since his injury. The last 6 games he's looked closer to average than a top 5 CB from t first 6 games. Considering his injury history and that this isn't the first time that hip has given him issues do you really want to invest a lot of money into him? Unless he comes for a reasonable shorter term deal I wouldn't want to put that type of money into him

[/QUOTE]

Unlike Pro I don't watch the coaches film but areyou  sure he's been average the past 6 weeks. Everyone seems to claim he was terrific against Miami. I didn't here his name called against Buffalo except for 2 nice open field tackles on run plays and everyone on the defense looked prettty good against the Ravens.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Unlike Pro I don't watch the coaches film but areyou  sure he's been average the past 6 weeks. Everyone seems to claim he was terrific against Miami. I didn't here his name called against Buffalo except for 2 nice open field tackles on run plays and everyone on the defense looked prettty good against the Ravens.

[/QUOTE]

the last six games well atleast the last 3 I have not heard Talib's name which is a good thing meaning his man is never open or just having Talib there scares the QB away.

Before that, the Cleveland game was yes his worst game as a Pat probably.

but, vs. Houston we decided to run alot of zone for some reason so none of that is blamed solely on Talib.

and he did a outstanding job vs. Thomas in the Denver game. the two bad plays he gave up were a perfectly thrown TD pass and heigtht disadvantage and the 15 yard out where the ball missed Talibs hand by inches.

Talib has been slowed a little by injury but is still locking down. i agree he's not at that top 5 CB level PAtsEng but he's certainly above average still

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Buf every CB looked good, it's easy in that weather. In Mia he had some blown coverages and made some plays but they even out in general. Against the Ravens as you said everyone looked good. Balt was shooting themselves in the foot and Flacco with his injury had no zip on the ball. Don't forget the Browns game which BB elected to have Arrington cover Gordon because Talib was unable to cover Johnson the week before. Now his hip was the main cause is still is but with his injury history that has to be accounted for. One average week in Mia and 2 bad weeks against Hou and Browns is what we got and the finally 2 weeks weather was a major help to Talib as was a Balt O that couldn't tie their own shoes that day. Lets also not forget what Smith did to him in Car. Right there between the games he missed and those 3 horrible games with 1 average one is half his season right there. As I said it was a tale of two season pre and post injury with him. Now if not for his history you could write it off but given it's the same hip and that he has yet to have a completely healthy season I don't think you can.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Umm, Talib was literally the best player on defense in the AFC early in the year before the hip flexor issue vs the Saints mid season. That's not "above average". I haven't seen a CB dominate like that in years.

He's a top 5 CB right now coming into his prime, it's just the injury question with him. He has speed, range, the physicality, tackling skills, the football IQ and like you said forces throws away from him.

[/QUOTE]

I'm talking about since he'es come back from injury. He hasn't brought the same tenacity to the table but certainly has been good.

dude, early in the year to me he was the best corner in football. since aggrevating the hip he's regressed a little and isnt at THAT level but is getting back to it.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He hasn't regressed with his skills, he got hurt. There's a difference.

Overall, he's been playing well. Note how when Brady and the offense doesn't suck for an entire half, our entire D looks good.

Not a coincidence, nor is it with ANY defense in this league. Running on and off the field constantly expected to shutout other teams in this era for 3 or 4 qtrs, just ain't gonna happen.

NE had Cleveland and Miami locked down cold for an entire half. If only our offense could pitch in, huh?

[/QUOTE]

in bold- great point and totally true. but because of the injury he's not top 5 right now. but he's alot closer to it since week 9-10.

no need to bring in the offensive struggles here though... and the Miami game they did do a great job shutting down their O in the first half until that ending drive. that turned Miami's confidence. i still do not understand why Arrington was on Wallace that game and not Talib

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He hasn't regressed with his skills, he got hurt. There's a difference.

Overall, he's been playing well. Note how when Brady and the offense doesn't suck for an entire half, our entire D looks good.

Not a coincidence, nor is it with ANY defense in this league. Running on and off the field constantly expected to shutout other teams in this era for 3 or 4 qtrs, just ain't gonna happen.

NE had Cleveland and Miami locked down cold for an entire half. If only our offense could pitch in, huh?

[/QUOTE]

in bold- great point and totally true. but because of the injury he's not top 5 right now. but he's alot closer to it since week 9-10.

no need to bring in the offensive struggles here though... and the Miami game they did do a great job shutting down their O in the first half until that ending drive. that turned Miami's confidence. i still do not understand why Arrington was on Wallace that game and not Talib

[/QUOTE]

Same reason he wasn't on Gordon because he wasn't 100% and would have had isues covering him.

Don't mind Rusty bringing up the O it's his thing. Like whenever he wants to question my knowledge he calls me a Welkie love and a troll and assumes everything I say is based on that, which I have no clue why. It's just what Rusty does, deflect. His arguments are weak so generally he has to resort to deflection and name calling to make himself seem stronger. For example when I thought A. Wilson wasn't a great signing and thought A. Wilson looked slow and wasn't himself Rusty immediately said it's because I was a Welkie lover, didn't know what I was talking about, and just had a BB bias. It's just his way.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Same reason he wasn't on Gordon because he wasn't 100% and would have had isues covering him.

[/QUOTE]

Talib covered Gordon all game from what I remember.... Gordon burned him

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Because of Clay.  That's why.  BB felt Clay was the key guy and the 1st read on most routes for Tannehill, which is technically correct, IMO.  That said, I think Arrington would have been fine on Clay. Arrington flourishes in the middle.    Talib's range is needed on the edge.

Arrington was fine on Wallace, actually. Arrington tweaked the groin and pulled himself off. Cole got beat by Wallace.

Don't give me this "confidence" stuff either. They're at home in utter desperation playing their season's SB.  We all knew it would be like that. Our offense flat out needs to not disappear for consecutive qtrs like that.

Remember 2009 down there?  An entire half of floundering, pass happy offense and a a feeble fade out in the second half by the offense, where we ended up losing.

At least there was an excuse then.  Sam Aiken was the #3 WR that year.

What's the excuse now?

[/QUOTE]

Agree that Clay could have been handled by Arrington. Arrington is a good corner when covering small areas and Clay doesnt go far. he wouldve been fine imo as well.

ok confidence, desparation whatever that TD did give them a jump and let that offense get going obviously nno excuse for our offense squandering oppurtunities

but like I've said our D needs to stop Miami to atleast a FG on that drive to force a Tie. They are,known as a good red zone D and didnt come up there.

and if that throw to amendola or hooman was gronk we win that game .... oh well though

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

I think you're just doing a lot of over-analyzing a bit and sort of being led by a troll named PatsENg.

Pay careful attention.

What he and his ilk are trying to do in these next 10 days is to plant the seed as to why Brady isn't responsible if he plays poorly.  So, what they do is, they start scoring the D's roster to pre-emptively strike in case Brady throws a couple of INTs and we lose.

It's why PatsEng is in here babbling about Talib not being that good, when in fact, Talib appears healthier than what he was when he came back in the Carolina game where he looked a bit off vs a smaller, shiftier WR in Smith.

Smith probably shouldn't have opened his yap that night. He's now hurt. Oh, the irony.

ANyway, with a little rest for these guys like Talib, Dennard, Hightower, Arrington, or anyone else who has been hobbled by some nagging injuries, it should bode well.

[/QUOTE]

Me? i dont read much of Pats eng to know his total opinon on things..

Sections
Shortcuts