As much as I want a top drafted WR

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JMUFranco. Show JMUFranco's posts

As much as I want a top drafted WR

This Cold Hard Football facts article does throw a bit of cold water on the notion. http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/epic-fail-the-wide-receiver-draft-class-2012/22114/

His main point is that no highly drafted rookie WR made any worthwhile impact in 2012 and that impact WRs overall are overrated/overpaid for their production. 

Granted it is a bit different when you have Brady throwing them the ball. But is it maybe time to temper our expectations about what a rookie X receiver could bring to this club THIS year (not necessarily down the road)?

Apologize if the article has already been shared here.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Re: As much as I want a top drafted WR

In response to JMUFranco's comment:

This Cold Hard Football facts article does throw a bit of cold water on the notion. http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/epic-fail-the-wide-receiver-draft-class-2012/22114/

His main point is that no highly drafted rookie WR made any worthwhile impact in 2012 and that impact WRs overall are overrated/overpaid for their production. 

Granted it is a bit different when you have Brady throwing them the ball. But is it maybe time to temper our expectations about what a rookie X receiver could bring to this club THIS year (not necessarily down the road)?

There is always way too much made here of the impact of rookies. It is just not a common thing in many positions.

I am glad they resigned Edelman. I dont know how good he will be but I expect if he is healthy he will be sound and has the ability to make big plays. He will either be a 2nd or 3rd receiver on this team - unless they move Hern to slot and play both Gronk and Ballard. I would not be surprised to see that as a package but I would not expect it as a primary package.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

CHFF is an amusing site, but they are wrong about WRs.  Look you don't need Jerry Rice and Moss as your WRs to win a SB, but good WRs impact goes beyond the catches they make.  They can make the defense respect your ability to attack all parts of the field and contribute blocking which are both things that CHFF ignores when they make the "shiny hood ornament law" argument or whatever the heck its called.  More importantly they base that "law" on the fact that the teams with the best WR in the league didn't win the SB most years.  That is a dumb statistic.  The best QB in the league doesn't always win the SB.  Does that mean QB isn't an important position?

I know this article is about drafted WRs not playing well immediately, but just because one draft class didn't pan out it is stupid to make assumptions they all won't.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Irregardless if  any made worthwhile impact in 2012, there are some that can become better with coaching. Were there any worthwile QBs available in 2000? It looked bleak , but out of the rough came Tom Brady.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

"Irregardless" . . . no such word!

Pats number one picks in the past have been stars not for just one year but for good long careers . . .  Fryer, Stingley, Morgan, and even Terry Glen have been there #1 pick at WR since they became the NE Patriiots.  The only other #1 pick used on a wide receiver was for Hart Lee Dykes and he broke his knee cap or he would also have been a stud.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

funny thing is most "impact" labeled WRs in the draft go early to the worst teams with bad QBs so not a big surprise. But, when a team with a top end QB gets a top end WR (Ryan with Jones in 11') that WR does make an impact.

Also 2012 was a weaker WR draft class. I mean Blackmon as a top 5 pick? Floyd as the second best WR?

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

funny thing is most "impact" labeled WRs in the draft go early to the worst teams with bad QBs so not a big surprise. But, when a team with a top end QB gets a top end WR (Ryan with Jones in 11') that WR does make an impact.

Also 2012 was a weaker WR draft class. I mean Blackmon as a top 5 pick? Floyd as the second best WR?

Blackmon was a better draft prospect than anybody in this class, that's for sure. This class aint all that as far as I can tell. The best guy is 5'9 175, really? How many 5'9 175 lb impact wide receivers have there been in the history of the NFL?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

I'd like to see them draft a star defensive tackle like Seymour was. A guy who can get to the quarterback.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Blackmon was a better draft prospect than anybody in this class, that's for sure. This class aint all that as far as I can tell. The best guy is 5'9 175, really? How many 5'9 175 lb impact wide receivers have there been in the history of the NFL?

I think the 2013 WR class will be much better than you give it credit for. In terms of production in the NFL, I would not be surprised if Patterson and/or Hopkins matches Blackmon's. I am pretty confident the 2013 class will yield a lot of good NFL WRs, all the way to the fourth round.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Amendola. Show Brady2Amendola's posts

I really want to see the patriots get Justin Hunter. Very good deep threat.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

In response to the-redsox-rule's comment:

I'd like to see them draft a star defensive tackle like Seymour was. A guy who can get to the quarterback.

this draft doesnt have a Seymour type player. and the Pats dont have the 6th pick in the draft. so thats a pretty unlikely scenerio to repeat itself.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

WR has always been a position with one of the largest learning curves from college to pro, and it seems like has one of the biggest bust factors also (just take a look at some random 1st rounds over the past 20 years and the top half is always filled with bad WR's). so i think this article makes sense. one thing i would add is that the pats and Brady have had a very hard time integrating new receivers (rookies and vets) so i would personally not want to spend a high draft pick on one for both of those reasons. but we all know BB is totlly unpredictable in the draft. i'm sure he'll take a player that nobody has on their boards, is considered a reach, and is at a position that all of us thought was well stocked. then most of us will freak out, rusty will declare it the greatest pick ever, and in reality he seems to have a 50-50 shot of hitting on those players. so it will be another waste like cunnigham or another great surprise like vollmer.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

I agree with the article. I don't want the Patriots to go in that direction. I want them to continue to draft for defense. I'd prefer either a DE or DT who can rush the passer, or more help in the secondary.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

you are not overpaying a rookie.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

and da rick rogers is being compared with jones

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

In response to Muzwell's comment:

I think the 2013 WR class will be much better than you give it credit for. In terms of production in the NFL, I would not be surprised if Patterson and/or Hopkins matches Blackmon's. I am pretty confident the 2013 class will yield a lot of good NFL WRs, all the way to the fourth round.

my sentiment as well.love hopkins if he were a secondrd pck or we had 2 #s.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Brady2Amendola's comment:

I really want to see the patriots get Justin Hunter. Very good deep threat.

4th or so on my list of wrs potentially avail to pats

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

I agree with the article. I don't want the Patriots to go in that direction. I want them to continue to draft for defense. I'd prefer either a DE or DT who can rush the passer, or more help in the secondary.

in rd 1, i have de.

2 wr

if 3, wr or cb (shouldve gotten grimes in fa or another cb)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Nice article but the point is the Pats need a wideout that can STRETCH the field and take the top off so the short and middle will be open for Gronk, DA and Hernandez--the Pats are fine offensively but need that Outside deep threat to keep the Safeties honest.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Cordarelle Patterson caught 46 passes and scored 5 TDs in his college career.

Justin Blackmon caught 121 passes and scored 18 TDs in 2011. 

You really want to compare them? Is that a joke?

Sections
Shortcuts