Asanta Samuel back to New England?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Asanta Samuel back to New England?

It isn't that far fetched.  Samuel just turned 31 and some reports suggest the Eagles are likely to cut or trade him. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/976493-philadelphia-eagles-desean-jackson-and-asante-samuel-will-not-be-eagles-in-2012

He carries a huge cap number and with two other quality corners, none willing to play the slot, the Eagles my see Samuel as the odd man out. 

Samuel had his best years in NE and while he went out on a bad note, so did Branch and we brought him back.  Samuel is a perfect scheme fit with experience in it and if he can mend fences, he could be a huge addition and at a cap number much less than where he is in PHI.  Samuel, if he comes cheap enough, would be an excellent insurance policy to Dowling staying healthy and would allow us the flexibility to move DBC to safety if he can't turn it around next year.  Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: Asanta Samuel back to New England?

In Response to Asanta Samuel back to New England?:
    [QUOTE]It isn't that far fetched.  Samuel just turned 31 and some reports suggest the Eagles are likely to cut or trade him.  http://bleacherreport.com/articles/976493-philadelphia-eagles-desean-jackson-and-asante-samuel-will-not-be-eagles-in-2012 He carries a huge cap number and with two other quality corners, none willing to play the slot, the Eagles my see Samuel as the odd man out.  Samuel had his best years in NE and while he went out on a bad note, so did Branch and we brought him back.  Samuel is a perfect scheme fit with experience in it and if he can mend fences, he could be a huge addition and at a cap number much less than where he is in PHI.  Samuel, if he comes cheap enough, would be an excellent insurance policy to Dowling staying healthy and would allow us the flexibility to move DBC to safety if he can't turn it around next year.  Thoughts?
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it'll come down to financials and a willingness from both sides to mend any broken fences, but I wouldn't rule it out.  You can also queue the "dude, he dropped an INT to seal the Super Bowl, so he sucks and I don't want him back." comments, ha.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Samuel did not do anywhere near the damage Branch did. Branch held out and really hurt the team when we were in dire straits for WRs. I was and am not happy to see him back. Samuel played with the tag after a promise they wouldn't do it to him again. He never was a great cover corner, but was a route jumper.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: Asanta Samuel back to New England?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Asanta Samuel back to New England? : Yeah, it'll come down to financials and a willingness from both sides to mend any broken fences, but I wouldn't rule it out.  You can also queue the "dude, he dropped an INT to seal the Super Bowl, so he sucks and I don't want him back." comments, ha.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]
    OMG, then Welker needs to be cut too, lol.

I blame Jarvis Green more for not getting Manning to the ground but true, if Asante catches that and Welker catches his, we'd have 5 banners right now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Asanta Samuel back to New England? : OMG, then Welker needs to be cut too, lol. I blame Jarvis Green more for not getting Manning to the ground but true, if Asante catches that and Welker catches his, we'd have 5 banners right now.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

That's what stings the most, that the NYG made the plays when they had to and NE didn't, the small margin for error cost NE two Super Bowls.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

I would take him back in a heartbeat.

Assuming he doesn't want the same money he was getting paid in Philly because that isn't happening.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

This will be interesting to keep an eye on.  Not sure what I think about this.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Asanta Samuel back to New England? : That's what stings the most, that the NYG made the plays when they had to and NE didn't, the small margin for error cost NE two Super Bowls.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]
    Play makers!!!  That's what we need on both sides of the ball.  We won 2 SBs with Asante.  We haven't been the same in the secondary since he and Rodney left.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Samuel did not do anywhere near the damage Branch did. Branch held out and really hurt the team when we were in dire straits for WRs. I was and am not happy to see him back. Samuel played with the tag after a promise they wouldn't do it to him again. He never was a great cover corner, but was a route jumper.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]
    Samuel was an excellent route jumper and he is an excellent zone corner which is what we play predominately.  I'll go out on a limb and say Samuel is probably the best zone CB in the NFL, or was until recently. 

You also make a good point, he didn't do that much damage on his way out.  He think he held out originally in terms of not agreeing to sign the franchise tag until the Pats agreed to not use it on him again.  I do think there were some choice words exchanged during that period.  

It's a shame his time in NE will be remembered by that dropped INT in the SB.  Even Kraft reflected on it without saying his name recently.  I wonder if BB is just waiting for the Eagles to release him so he can gobble him up?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from df5. Show df5's posts

With all due respect, I think you guys are 100% wrong if you think there is any chance Bill would consider bringing Samuel in, let alone paying him big money.

The Pats didn't let Samuel walk because of money. Bill was sick of watching him freelance, gamble on routes and just generally do his own thing out there. He didn't want him back at any price. He wanted guys who were going to buy into the system and do their jobs.

And it wasn't just the dropped pick- that any elite CB, or even an average one would have caught. But Rodney Harrison has come out and said the helmet catch was a direct result of Samuel not being where he was supposed to be. He handed a completely outmatched Giants team a Superbowl. Because he didn't have the self control to do his job. But that was Samuel. Great route jumper, but not as very good corner. Average cover guy at best, someone you can never count on to be where they belong and definitely one of the more overrated players in the league.

He suckered the Eagles into giving him a huge contract, and now that they have grown tired of his act (his whiney mouth included) you guys think the Pats would do an about face and sign him? You're dreaming!

And to compare his situation to Branch is ridiculous. Samuel never bought into the system and was not wanted back. Branch left because he Patriots were not willing to pay him. Branch won Super Bowl MVP while Samuel handed the title to an inferior team.

What I don't get is the sense of entitlement. The idea that Branch owed this team or it's fans anything but 100% effort while he was here. Which he gave. He was a good soldier. And performed at a high level when he was here. That's all you can ask for. I will never understand the fans that think these players owe their team some kind of discount. It's a business. If Bill has proven anything it's that there is no loyalty in New England. Branch found a team that was willing to pay him more. If you want to be mad at anybody be mad at Bill for being too cheap to pay his #1 receiver. And for being arrogant and going into the 06 season without an adequate replacement- not only costing us the 06 title but handing it to the Colts.

I'm sorry, but the Branch and Samuel situations are completely different. Bill may have lost his fastball a few years ago. But there is no way he is signing a long in the tooth Samuel.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

First of all, people need to stop post things from Bleacher Report as if it is some sort of newsgathering orginization. It is essential nothing but opinion pieces written by fans.

Secondly, we would not be getting the Asante Samuel who left here in 2007. We will be getting a 5-year old player who was expendable to a team that did not even make the playoffs. Don't get me wrong, he would probably be the best corner on the Patriots, but the bar is not very high on this team at that position.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

[QUOTE]Samuel did not do anywhere near the damage Branch did. Branch held out and really hurt the team when we were in dire straits for WRs. I was and am not happy to see him back. Samuel played with the tag after a promise they wouldn't do it to him again. He never was a great cover corner, but was a route jumper.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Exactly, Not a great cover guy but what a great route jumper. Smart player. The Eagles tried to trade him last year and with no takers tried to play nice with him and patch things up. No doubt he gets cut and is looking at a steep pay cut if he wants to continue playing. I would have no issues bringing him back at the Patriots price. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

[QUOTE]With all due respect, I think you guys are 100% wrong if you think there is any chance Bill would consider bringing Samuel in, let alone paying him big money. The Pats didn't let Samuel walk because of money. Bill was sick of watching him freelance, gamble on routes and just generally do his own thing out there. He didn't want him back at any price. He wanted guys who were going to buy into the system and do their jobs. And it wasn't just the dropped pick- that any elite CB, or even an average one would have caught. But Rodney Harrison has come out and said the helmet catch was a direct result of Samuel not being where he was supposed to be. He handed a completely outmatched Giants team a Superbowl. Because he didn't have the self control to do his job. But that was Samuel. Great route jumper, but not as very good corner. Average cover guy at best, someone you can never count on to be where they belong and definitely one of the more overrated players in the league. He suckered the Eagles into giving him a huge contract, and now that they have grown tired of his act (his whiney mouth included) you guys think the Pats would do an about face and sign him? You're dreaming! And to compare his situation to Branch is ridiculous. Samuel never bought into the system and was not wanted back. Branch left because he Patriots were not willing to pay him. Branch won Super Bowl MVP while Samuel handed the title to an inferior team. What I don't get is the sense of entitlement. The idea that Branch owed this team or it's fans anything but 100% effort while he was here. Which he gave. He was a good soldier. And performed at a high level when he was here. That's all you can ask for. I will never understand the fans that think these players owe their team some kind of discount. It's a business. If Bill has proven anything it's that there is no loyalty in New England. Branch found a team that was willing to pay him more. If you want to be mad at anybody be mad at Bill for being too cheap to pay his #1 receiver. And for being arrogant and going into the 06 season without an adequate replacement- not only costing us the 06 title but handing it to the Colts. I'm sorry, but the Branch and Samuel situations are completely different. Bill may have lost his fastball a few years ago. But there is no way he is signing a long in the tooth Samuel.
    Posted by df5[/QUOTE]
       I dont know why you think BB is cheap. That has nothing to do with it. He would have loved to had Branch back, but some of you people think that a team should break the bank to keep your best players. Its a check and balance system. You can not pay all the money to your top 7 or 8 players and expect to win in this league.  You have to have depth. If you need convincing, look at our rivals to the south.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

The Patriots spend pretty much the CAP number every year so cheap, of course not.

Riddle me this;
    Has Asanta Samuel earned the salary that Philly gave him?

If so why did they try to trade him?

So he has not earned his high salary so the Patriots, once again, have been proven to be SMART, not CHEAP.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrtm70. Show mrtm70's posts

I don't care either way, as long as the Pats put together a great defense.

But on the "drop SB INT"...I tapes all the SBs on NFL network leading up this past SB & watched that game again.  If you watch, a couple plays after Asante's drop, another Pats DB also missed an easy int to seal that game for the Pats as well!!!  So I don't harbor ill will on Asante for his missed int.  Now if what was mentioned above about RH comments on the Tyrene catch, then that is where I would be more mad at him!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

BB must have thought he was a decent enough player to use the franchise tag on him.  But I agree, Samuel isn't coming back.  I forgot he shot his mouth off about BB and the Patriots in a 2010 story.  This was Samuel taking a can of gas and book of matches to both sides of the bridge to Foxboro.  Guess this closes out this thread...

Ex-Patriots CB Asante Samuel trashes Bill Belichick: “He had something against me.”

Samuel eaglesAsante Samuel has been known throughout his career for grabbing footballs (35 of them) and taking them into the end zone. He did it for the Patriots for five seasons and has been doing it for the Eagles for two.

To his resume, Samuel can, once again, add flamethrower. Never shy to speak his mind or point a finger at the Patriots, Samuel took it to another level today.

In this article in The News Journal of Delaware by Geoff Mosher, Samuel attacks Bill Belichick, saying the Patriots coach had a vendetta against him. Samuel, it should be noted, also says he only talks to the media to “to help me get into the Hall of Fame.” (Sigh…)

Samuel accused Belichick of planning to sit him against the Bears in 2006, a game in which he eventually had three picks. The Pats countered by saying Samuel had missed practice time with an injury. No wonder this relationship ended sourly.

Anyway, here is what Samuel told Mosher about his former coach:

I ain’t never said it, but Belichick, I just felt like he had a thing for me,” Samuel said. “He had something against me. I have no idea why. He was going to start Troy Brown, a receiver, at nickel [corner] and I’m over here sitting healthy and he don’t want to even play me.

Samuel felt he wasn’t ever full appreciated for his 22 picks in a Patriots uniform, blaming the media and Belichick for that one, too.

Ty Law in New England, he’s making all these picks,” Samuel said. “Oh, he’s a great corner, this and that. But I all of a sudden go and do it (and it’s), ‘Oh, he’s in a Cover 2 defense, that’s why he isn’t as good and this and that.’ But when Ty Law does it, it’s all gravy.

Finally, Samuel takes on the notion that people criticize the fact that he doesn’t absolutely love to tackle. You think that? Yup, you’re drinking Haterade.

If you can’t respect that, you’re hatin’,” Samuel said. “Anybody else had those stats, people would be going crazy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Great route jumper, but not as very good corner. Average cover guy at best, someone you can never count on to be where they belong and definitely one of the more overrated players in the league.

I agree with this. Whenhe jumps routes and gets burned its a big burn.

If you watch, a couple plays after Asante's drop, another Pats DB also missed an easy int to seal that game for the Pats as well!!! 

I think that was Hobbs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

too much risk over reward.  burned way more than he picks.  no thanks

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrtm70. Show mrtm70's posts

[QUOTE]I think that was Hobbs.
    Posted by Philskiw1[/QUOTE]

I actually don't think it was Hobbs

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from df5. Show df5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Asanta Samuel back to New England? :    I dont know why you think BB is cheap. That has nothing to do with it. He would have loved to had Branch back, but some of you people think that a team should break the bank to keep your best players. Its a check and balance system. You can not pay all the money to your top 7 or 8 players and expect to win in this league.  You have to have depth. If you need convincing, look at our rivals to the south.
    Posted by jerh5[/QUOTE]

I don't think Bill is necessarily cheap Not in general. But he does have a certain philosophy that relies heavily on bargain shopping. Sometimes it works and a lot of times it doesn't He has paid well for certain guys like Wilfork and Brady. And I think he even overpaid for an overrated Mankins and an aging Ocho.

Then there are other guys that maybe he should go the extra mile for because they are so important to the team and he doesn't. Wether he's being cheap or just stubborn and arrogant is debateable. Refusing to pay Branch a little bit more cost us the 06 Superbowl. Letting Vinatieri walk over 500k- that's cheap.
    Remember the fourth and 14 (or whatever it was) they went for in the 07 Superbowl? Because he didn't trust Gostowski to make a 40 something yarder. That three points that you know Adam would have converted could have totally changed the outcome of that game. We may have lost the Superbowl over 500k

You have a once in a lifetime kicker, the Mariano Rivera of football. Something no other team has. And you let him go over 500K? .05 % of your salary cap? I call that incredibly cheap.

The value system has worked for Bill. It netted us guys like Vrabel, Seymour and Patten to name just a few. But it has also been a massive failure at times. Bill has this delusion that he can take 5th round talent and coach it up. And that has proven to be untrue. That's why we continue to have to watch the likes of Doug Gabriel and Derrick burgess and tons of other JAGS and has beens march through Foxborough year after year.

Bargain hunting is great. But sometimes you just have to pony up the going rate for something you need. And that doesn't have to mean spending recklessly.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Asanta Samuel back to New England? :  Refusing to pay Branch a little bit more cost us the 06 Superbowl. Letting Vinatieri walk over 500k- that's cheap. Remember the fourth and 14 (or whatever it was) they went for in the 07 Superbowl? Because he didn't trust Gostowski to make a 40 something yarder. That three points that you know Adam would have converted could have totally changed the outcome of that game. We may have lost the Superbowl over 500k You have a once in a lifetime kicker, the Mariano Rivera of football. Something no other team has. And you let him go over 500K? .05 % of your salary cap? I call that incredibly cheap. The value system has worked for Bill. It netted us guys like Vrabel, Seymour and Patten to name just a few. But it has also been a massive failure at times. Bill has this delusion that he can take 5th round talent and coach it up. And that has proven to be untrue. That's why we continue to have to watch the likes of Doug Gabriel and Derrick burgess and tons of other JAGS and has beens march through Foxborough year after year. Bargain hunting is great. But sometimes you just have to pony up the going rate for something you need. And that doesn't have to mean spending recklessly.
    Posted by df5[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed your comment. You actually remember Belichick refusing to allow Ghost to kick that 48 yard FG in SB 42.....I brought that up once and never once heard anyone talk about that. Also, the 2006 when branch was gone and all Brady really had was Reche Caldwell. I nearly fainted during that 2006 Colts game when Caldwellmissed a perfect pass on the numbers while standing still at the chalk and all he needed to do was fall foreward for a 1st down and game OVER.

My first thought was that pass was meant for Branch and game over and it did cost them a SB trip against the Bears. 

Belichick has lived off the Groceries of the past and allowed them to disappear and look at the mess he has put together on defense. I will go no further because it's not popular here to question...In BILL I trust! It's been Brady all along... not Belichump. Deep down Robert Kraft knows the truth!

In keeping with the OP post ...Samuel can keep walking.

Have a good day....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

No thanks