Asante Samuel and Richard Seymour

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Re: Asante Samuel and Richard Seymour

Asante Samuel = The Assassin who killed our Superbowl TWICE!  Dropped a gimme, and blew his route giving Tyree "the catch" and didn't even HIT him afterwards!  No thanks for having THAT loser back. You are living in a dream world.  Samuel in the last 2 years of his tenure became a gambler who made me crazy as he let receiver after receiver catch stuff right in front of him.  Seymour?  I will remind you his was not wonderful last year at all.  And Matt Cassel wasn't the problem.  He put up points. Defense couldn't hold.  In fact, he put up 38 against the Jets and STILL we lost.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Personally, I think the Pats have a better chance at a Superbowl today, with the roster they have than if they still had either of those guys. I also think winning the Superbowl is much more likely if you are top ten every year than if you are bottom 22 most years. This is a silly waste of brain power.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

And how exactly would they pay the rest of the team?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

Hi Vegascolony,

Nice to meet you. We want to win just as much as you, but you have to move the right pieces at the right time if you want CONTINUED success.......(see Bill Belichick and THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS BRAINTRUST"......smart guy. Thanks for making my point better than I did. Do you want continued success in being a Top 10 team in the NFL year after year? If so, are the business decisions required to stay in the Top 10 going to keep us from winning a SB? You clearly understood the question and dodged answering it? You are very clever. We had a great run with Bruschi, Vrabel, Harrison, Wilfork, Seymour, etc. but Woods, Guyton, Chung/Sanders/McGowan, Brace, and Pryor are all great guys, but I am not sure they will rise to the same level. The question is: if you want CONTINUED success.......(see Bill Belichick and THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS BRAINTRUST" are we going to win the SB? Any answer?

Hi dafoe,

Isn't it a bit of an exagggeration to say If you want  the Pats to turn into the Redskins, that's your business. I want to pay Gaffney an extra $750k and now I am Daniel Synder?

But I think most of us fans are happy with a team that is consistently contending rather than spending most of it's payroll on 20% of the roster.
    You answered the question (unlike vegascolony) - you are happy to be a Top 10 team for the next 6 years even if we can not get another SB ring. I feel different than you do - TB is done is about 6 years (he does not have a rocket like Favre that will allow him to play into his 40s), and I would like to push for three more SB wins in those 6 years.

Darius Butler has a chance to be just as good, if not better, than Samuel  in the next couple of years. I am not one of those guys that talks about the "future potential" and gets all excited. I am not a year round "draft guy". I want to win the SB each of the next 6 years and Darius is a great guy that MIGHT help when TB is 35 or older.

Hi brisrog, Hey get the facts right Eugene Chung played OL, we drafted Patrick Chung who will be just fine, seein as he is a rookie. I know who Patrick and Eugene Chung are. Reread my post - you missed the point.

Hi Evil2009, And how exactly would they pay the rest of the team? I bet you and your crystal ball (it is very dangerous to bet a guy with a crystal ball!!!) a $1M dollars that TB would have restructured his contract to kick in $750k to keep Gaffney. But that option is not part of the Pats business plan, so getting clever to keep Gaffney was not considered (and don't you think Josh McD knew that?).

I love the Pats as much as you guys, but we have about a 6 year window. At the end of the 6 years, if you think there is another TB walking through that door.......................    At some point you have to say enough is enough and keep a few guys and make a push - IMHO.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GameChanger. Show GameChanger's posts

bn34 "Why do NEP fans blame Asante Samuel alone for SB 42??

At the given moment in time he dropped the game clinching interception. Harrison didn't drop it against the eagles and we won # 3.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

Hi Evil2009, And how exactly would they pay the rest of the team? I bet you and your crystal ball (it is very dangerous to bet a guy with a crystal ball!!!) a $1M dollars that TB would have restructured his contract to kick in $750k to keep Gaffney. But that option is not part of the Pats business plan, so getting clever to keep Gaffney was not considered (and don't you think Josh McD knew that?).

Nice try but your original post doesn't say anything about Gaffney does it? Did you change to him to bail yourself out? Sorry I missed it

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

Nice try but your original post doesn't say anything about Gaffney does it? Did you change to him to bail yourself out? Sorry I missed it.

You are right - my original post was unclear. My point, whether it is about Samuel or Seymour or Gaffney, is that the Pats have a business plan that keeps them in the Top 10 teams. Q:Why doesn't every team do the same? A:They don't have Brady or Manning.

My point is that TB will not be around forever and the Pats seem intent on following their business plan. Mark my words, over the next few years if we do not win a SB, everyone will start talking about changing the business plan. Right now everyone is riding TB's back and drinking the koolaid.

I remember reading one poster's comment that the Giant's SB gameplan was to pressure TB and it worked. Then he realized that every QB's preformance degrades when hurried. Moral of the story? There are a lot of smart people out there!

It amazes me that everyone thinks somehow the Pats management have tremendous insight and make "tough" business moves. Think the Broncos are going to release Gaffney this week? Think the Eagles are going to release Samuel this week?

PS I added my avator so I could sneak a peak into your crystal ball!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

The salary cap is structured so that it is impossible for teams with more than a few overpaid players to win a title. In order to win a Superbowl, you have to have a group of guys that you are getting at under (or around) market value. You can't overpay for more than a few guys or it will sink the team. And if you are going to reach on some guys, they have to be game changers. Seymour and Samuel are not. 

Which leads me to answer the crux of your original question. I really don't think having those two players would put us over the top. And I can't understand why you do. Seymour is done and Samuel is average. The Gaffney thing looks like a mistake. But nobody ever said the Pats front office was perfect. You also don't have any idea what went into that decision. Maybe the Pats thought they could upgrade. It didn't work out and they had to settle for Galloway. Who still looked better than Gaffney on paper. They let a guy walk that got cut from the Texans. Let's put things into perspective.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bn34. Show bn34's posts

bn34 "Why do NEP fans blame Asante Samuel alone for SB 42??

At the given moment in time he dropped the game clinching interception. Harrison didn't drop it against the eagles and we won # 3.

I get that but I think it's an oversimplification. NEP fans hate Samuel because he had the audacity to leave so they blame him (I guess the rest of the team- especially OL played well).  There were a number of important points that changed the momentum of the game in NYG favor.  The OL couldn't pass block anyone, Pats had no consistent running game, Woods allows Bradshaw to steal ball, BB goes for 4-13 hail-mary like pass instead of 48 yard FG in dome, 3 false start penalties in one quarter, etc..  All these things hurt Pats and put them in position to lose.  If they don't happen, Pats up by more than 4 and Samuel is not in that situation.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Hopefully this will be the last pointless belly aching crying over spilt milk post of 2009. You have no idea how good the Pats would be if they had kept Asante and/or Seymour. For all you know, Asante would have gotten injured in the first game and out for the year. That's why that kind of wishful thinking projecting doesn't work. Time to grow up and focus in on talking about what Pats can do to get the most out of the roster they DO have.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hammer400. Show hammer400's posts

In my opinion, the secondary is not in bad shape, especially considering Chung and Butler are rookies. I feel the problem lies with the line play, both sides of the ball.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GameChanger. Show GameChanger's posts

bn34 "I get that but I think it's an oversimplification. NEP fans hate Samuel because he had the audacity to leave so they blame him (I guess the rest of the team- especially OL played well).  There were a number of important points that changed the momentum of the game in NYG favor.  The OL couldn't pass block anyone, Pats had no consistent running game, Woods allows Bradshaw to steal ball, BB goes for 4-13 hail-mary like pass instead of 48 yard FG in dome, 3 false start penalties in one quarter, etc..  All these things hurt Pats and put them in position to lose.  If they don't happen, Pats up by more than 4 and Samuel is not in that situation." 

Everything you said is true. Yes, if the Pats were up by 2 TD's it wouldn't have mattered. They weren't. They were where an interception would have resulted in an automatic, take some knees TB,  SB win. Its simplistic because its undisputable and true. Could the entire team have played better, absolutely. Could Assante have locked up a win with that pick, Absolutely.

Sections
Shortcuts