ASSante Samuel at it Again....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

ASSante Samuel at it Again....

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=4868868

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Re: ASSante Samuel at it Again....

As much as I love my Patriots...I dont disagree with Asante.  This organization has been been cold blooded the way they handle these contracts.  Its a cold business and thats how they practice it.

I dont care what anybody says, Asante is waaaayyyy better than any other DB on this team and he deserved to get paid as well.  So, I hope Wilfork does get his money.  Whether its in NE or somewhere else.  He earned it and never complained.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

@rsp...why call Bruschi an idiot.  He would not have gotten much more anywhere else than he did here.  Asante and Wilfork are different, they are top players in their positons.  Bruschi was not the same caliber talent wise.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

It's a business. The powers that be made the decision that asante wasn't worth the money he wanted. Yes, he's a very good corner, but on the minus side, he's a whiner, a me-first guy, he's obviously all about the benjamins and he loves to run his mouth to the media. All those factors reduced his value to the pats. If he had more of a Rodney attitude, I'm guessing he'd still be here. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I agree that there has been some talent that we probably should or would have been better off if we had but I'm still under the impression this team does thing a certain way and it has worked.

Look you don't have teams like New Orleans say we are trying to be more like the Patriots if the organization doesn't do things the right way.  Does it mean we'll keep all the players happy no but what it does mean is that us as fans come into every year knowing we have as good of a chance to make a playoff run as any other team in the NFL.

As much as I like these players I love the Patriot team. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Asante,

Here's a tip for you. Next time you are in a super bowl and have an opportunity for a historic season and win by closing out the game with an easy interception try making the catch.

More importantly though... 

When you get drafted as a mid round guy and brought into the NFL by a class organization that sees potential in you...

Then cultivates that potential by helping you realize your dreams...

Through superior coaching, attention and teachings of the finer points of the game and position...

Making you a better player year by year, you didn't enter as a stud...

Ultimately culminating in your ability to even be in the situation to ask for a deserved new contract worth the "big" money...

Yet you decide to take a few million more from another organization because it is in your best interest...

Do us all a favor and take the high road remembering what the organization did for you and....

SHUT THE F UP! (I never hear the Patriots bad mouthing you)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Did you ever think that these guys wanted to stay and finish thier career here, but once they saw how the organization treated them they wanted to leave.  Cant blame them for that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

He may be at it but he is RIGHT. Its a business and the Pats have a way of doing it...........Tell me another team that had a " rebuilding " year at 10-6 and a division title............most team are 6-10 or 8-8 ...........trust the organization either way to do what is right of the team .......LONG TERM..............

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Wasn't Asante supposed to be covering Tyree?  What happened there?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Samual is a dumbazz. he let a ball go through his hands in the SB that cost the Pats 19-0.  I wouldn't have paid him top dollar either. I don't thiunk his game as improved at all since he left the pats, and I watched him a few times this season trying to tackle like a wuss.  

I say franchise Wilfork and give his 7 million, if he don't like that trade to the Chiefs or Bucs

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I'll agree with those who say that Samuel's opinion might carry more weight if one particular ball hadn't bounced off his hands -- and immortality right along with it, but he's not wrong. The Pats don't back the truck up for anyone . . .  not even Brady -- not really. Now personally, I don't have any qualms with the way Kraft runs his team; no one who has followed this team for any length of time should. But having said that, I also do not begrudge any player making as much money as he possibly can in the short window of opportunity afforded most players. The last figure I heard for the average NFL career was somewhere around three years. You can't compare what we do out here in the world with guys who train all their lives -- in many cases to the exclusion of everything else -- for one realistic shot at a retarded payday. If I'm in Wilfork's shoes, I'm holding out for the absolute top dollar I can get. This is it for him. He's not likely to have the value he has in the upcoming negotiation ever again.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ktbst. Show ktbst's posts

The key here is the Patriots did not care for him...doesn't mean anything for anyone else.  He was a risk taker who cared more about jumping routes to pad stats than playing within the scheme.  He was a defensive liability.  Is he a better talent then anyone on our roster...maybe but it still doesn't change the fact he wasn't worth the price.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I guess for some fans it's all about keeping players "happy".  If a player is not happy they can leave.  You play a game for a living.  Football is not a career.  Careers are more like 20-40yrs.  Playing in the NFL is more like a stint.  When you're done go out and get a real job for a living if you didn't make enough as an athlete.  That  being said,  I don't blame the players or the owners.  That's the way the real working world works.  The owners want to pay you as little as possible and the workers want to make as much as possible.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spetznaz24. Show Spetznaz24's posts

Was Asante really "that" good? Did you see him shutdown opposing WR's?  My memory is blurred because of that disastrous ending to the 2007 season. What big plays did he make? He is definitely not even close to Darrelle Revis, Charles Woodson and Nnamdi Asoumgua. It would be an insult to put him in same sentence with them.   He could not be trusted to simply shutdown opponents best WR. When you watched Revis or Asoumgua, you knew that they would shut down the WR.  Everyone was reluctant to throw at Revis and Asoumgua, even Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Peyton Manning.  The same can't be said about Asante Samuel.  He is not  worth that kind of money.

Would he make this team better? Absolutely.  Is he better than Wilhite or Springs,  of course.   But he is not a shut down CB.  However it would have  been better if Belichick signed him to an extension in 2006, and not waste that money on Adalius Thomas.

Btw, didnt we sign Shawn Springs and he makes 3 million a year? If Springs costs us 3 million, then maybe its better to have Asante at 8-9 million. Springs cannot even stay on the field.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In an ideal world every team would be able to keep every good player from the last 15 or so years and just pay them more than anyone else will pay them.  In the salary cap world however this can't happen.  I don't see why Asante takes it personally, the Eagles thought he was worth more than the Pats did.  The Pats don't expect him to take a pay cut to stay on the team and Asante whouldn't expect the Pats to pay a player big money just because they like him. 

In the end the Pats will use the 10 million dollars or whatever it is to get a different player or two.  I hope Wilfork stays, but if you're the Pats GM you have to draw the line on how much he's worth.  Pay him too much and the team is screwed for the future because they won't be able to pay guys in the future and make the salary cap.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

patsfan you fail to mention that Assante is becoming another example of a player who lands his big contract then mails it in for the rest of his carreer.

Why do you even post here? It's obvious you hate the team it's management and ownership.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Asante was a good (but not great) player. The Patriots won't overpay no matter who you are. There is always another team willing to overpay for a player.

Espn is just stirring things up like the media likes to do. They knew Samuel was a good soundbite, and he bit.

I don't begrudge the players who leave for more money unless they haven't finished their contract (Branch).

I just don't know why Asante feels he has to say these things about the team that as Low-FB-IQ aptly put it: "cultivates that potential by helping you realize your dreams..."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

excellent points spetznaz. He wanted to get paid at the elite level but he really wasn't there and still isn't.

As one example, an elite corner would have made the interecption and nailed down our perfect season. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Asante is right, he should have been signed before the '07 season long term just like vince should be signed now

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

A monkey whose aim (in life) is to get paid- that's all, folks. 

In fact, it's tatooed on the poor soul.

Sections
Shortcuts