Assessing the Patriots

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Assessing the Patriots

Living outside the US this year, I haven't seen as much of the Patriots during preseason as I usually see, but based on what I have seen and what I've read, here's how I'd assess the team going into the regular season:

QB--Good and improved: Brady just seems sharper to me this year than last.  I think he's going to have a great season.  A nice positive is that Hoyer looks pretty good to.  

RB--Mediocre and the same. The Pats running backs are just adequate.  Fred Taylor looks great, but he can he last the season?

TE--Good and vastly improved.  I think the new guys (including the veteran Crumpler) are going to add a whole new dimension to this offense.  They'll help our ability to score in the red zone, plus they'll help with pass protection and run blocking.  

WR--Uncertain, but improved.  Can't be much worse than last year, where we had only two NFL-quality starters (Moss and Welker).  I think Tate is going to make a big difference.  He gives us a real outside threat alongside Moss.  I haven't seen enough of the rookies, but they can't be any worse than Stanbeck and Aiken.

OL--Average and worse.  The starters are okay but aging (Neal and Light), and the line lacks quality depth.  Our tackles have not been good against the best pass rushers.  When the regular season starts and teams start doing more scheming with the pass rush, this may become a problem.  If one of our starting tackles gets injured, I think we're in real trouble here. I'm hoping we pick up someone before the season starts, but good tackles are hard to get.

DL--Average and about the same.   This used to be a strength, but other than Wilfork, we have no studs starting this year.  Nice to see Brace showing something.  Pryor was pretty good last year.  So the youth is at least promising. 

OLBs--Below average and about the same.  Unless Cunningham gets on the field and shows something it's hard to see how this unit is going to be any better than it was last year.  Being optimistic, I guess I could see TBC having a good season and Guyton getting better at this position. But this one remains a big question mark for me.

MLBs--Good and improved.  I like Spikes.  Mayo hasn't had a lot of impact in preseason, but I think Spikes and Mayo together will be a good combo.  Plus Guyton can provide good depth on third down. 

S--Average, but probably improved.  I haven't seen enough of the games to really judge the secondary.  I'm not a huge Merriweather fan (think he plays undisciplined)--plus we're missing the veteran leadership and smarts we had when Harrison was here.  Youth in the secondary is a problem, I think.  However, I assume Chung will be better and (assuming Merriweather isn't seriously injured) the Chung-Merriweather duo could be a pretty physical team, good against the run and intimidating for receivers over the middle.

CB--Average, but improved.  I think this position will get better over the course of the season as McCourty learns the NFL game.  Bodden is a good corner and McCourty is showing potential to be an impact player.  He'll struggle a bit early I'm sure (it's a hard position to learn), but I expect he'll be continually improving and may be making a major impact by season's end.  Most of the other guys here just seem bad to me.  Butler has the most potential to step up, but he remains a question mark, I think.

Overall, I think this team is improved.  I think the defense will struggle at times early in the season, particularly against the pass, but barring injuries, will show steady improvement as the secondary gets more experienced.  The offense will be explosive with the additional passing threats, but the Achilles heel of the offense will be it's ability to stop top good pass rushers.  

As always, the Pats will be in contention and should go deep into the playoffs if they avoid key injuries. While I think the season will end up in a very good place, I won't be surprised if there's some rough going early on, especially with a young defense.  Still, I think they are going to be a very exciting team to watch with Brady and his new receivers scoring lots of points right from the start.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Re: Assessing the Patriots

I just got off another post where I said don't place a lot on the preseason.  We just won't know how good or bad we will be until the season starts.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

We know the offense will be very good, if not great. The offensive line depth is a question if injuries happen.

The defense is stocked with first and second year players. This group will be inconsistent. Many unknowns so we will have to wait and see.

Special teams look improved. Gostkowski is the best. Mesko shows flashes but will be inconsistent as well. Tate and McCourty are going to win some games for us in the return game.

We are not an elite team yet but what team is? Saints? Colts?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Assessing the Patriots:
    I just got off another post where I said don't place a lot on the preseason.  We just won't know how good or bad we will be until the season starts.
    Posted by garytx

My rule of thumb is you can't really assess a team until about week six.  It takes that long for teams to get up to stride and for their opponents to start recognizing and exposing their weaknesses.  But you do get hints during preseason of whether the talent looks improved or not. But, yeah, you're right, none of us really knows at this point.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

This is where I stand as well.  You have to wait until game 6 to see any trends bad or good that may be developing.  The pre-season is nonsense and is there for evaluation of players under different types of duress.  It's not so much about the score or outcome of the game. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Assessing this thread - Average to Below Average.  They haven't even played a real game yet.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to Re: Assessing the Patriots:
    Assessing this thread - Average to Below Average.  They haven't even played a real game yet.
    Posted by Tcal2

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

Nooooo sh it.......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

There's already a thread like this

Sections
Shortcuts