At Least Our Defense Is Young - So There's A Small Hope For Improvement.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

At Least Our Defense Is Young - So There's A Small Hope For Improvement.....

If our defense was filled with 30 plus year olds and we're horrible then there is no hope because those guys only get slower when the season goes on.  But we have a lot of young guys, so hopefully by week 8 or 10, if we're still in the playoff hunt and Brady will probably have 40 TD passes (which we'll need everyone) the defense will set getting more discipline and holding teams under 20.   That said it would be gret to have a leader on defense like Vrabel, Bruschi, Harrison, or Seymour right now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Re: At Least Our Defense Is Young - So There's A Small Hope For Improvement.....

Some people will see gloom and doom wherever they go.  Don't we all work with one or two of those people daily?  I can't imagine how anyone cannot be excited for the potential this team has.  It might not be this year, but we've hit on too many draft picks over the past two years to not see something good.  Add to this our 4 high picks next year and we have something special.

Myself, I think back to how we were all upset at all of the draft day trades.  Now I look at the numerous new payers we have on the team that look like they will be players and say wow.  Of course, those doom and gloom guys will point to Butler's benching and try to paint it all as a failure.  I think that 2-3 years from now, BB's heavy trading of picks to load up on picks in order to reload a team roster will be looked at as a case study for GM's trying to reload their rosters.  Pure genius.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: At Least Our Defense Is Young - So There's A Small Hope For Improvement.....

Its hard to argue with your last statement DJ, this also is not new for BB as he has really done it for the majority of the decade.  People say the 07and 08 drafts were bad but any draft that produces Randy Moss and Wes Welker is an over whelming success imo.

With a BB coached defense which is made up largely of 1st and 2nd round picks I would say that it is the closest thing to a guarantee that we will improve. I am not as concerned with the defensive line as others as I think Brace is turning into a solid starter right before our eyes. Warren G had 2 sacks last game and I think he is the veteran presence we were looking for. The pass rush and young secondary is obviously the biggest concern but even there we  have talent. I think looking back on things the Bodden injury will be the biggest factor for this team making a SB run. If this young D starts playing "together" we will see a sound defense by December.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

Every team right now in the AFC has some type of issues, I think it's actually wide open this season.  Even a team like the Steelers don't exactly have an identity yet and won't until Big Ben gets back and we see how the team adjusts to him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

It's not just a small hope. There will be a vast improvment. They showed that they can force turnovers, they showed that they can rush the passer, the showed that once they get it together they can shut teams down.

In the first half, they stunk! In the second half they played better. Some people want to take away credit from these guys and say Fitz just overthrew his receivers. Hello! He was doing just fine in the first half! He was pressured by TBC and Cunningham in the second half and they forced turnovers. They'll get better, but some people need to see them come together now or they suk! This defense will be good by the end of this year, by next year we are looking at a top 5 defense. Just let them play, Wilfork, TBC and Gerrard Warren are the only players in the starting line-up that have 6 years or more under their belts. Sanders blows, I won't count him as a starter. He's a seat warmer for Meriweather in my book.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsGhost. Show RedsGhost's posts

Re-title the thread- At Least Our Defense Is Young- So There's A HUGE Hope For Improvement.
    Give'em time! What'd we have, 23 or 24 one and two years players? C'mon, that's a LOT of youth to get to gell.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

In Response to Re: At Least Our Defense Is Young - So There's A Small Hope For Improvement.....:
    [QUOTE]It's not just a small hope. There will be a vast improvment. They showed that they can force turnovers, they showed that they can rush the passer, the showed that once they get it together they can shut teams down. In the first half, they stunk! In the second half they played better. Some people want to take away credit from these guys and say Fitz just overthrew his receivers. Hello! He was doing just fine in the first half! He was pressured by TBC and Cunningham in the second half and they forced turnovers. They'll get better, but some people need to see them come together now or they suk! This defense will be good by the end of this year, by next year we are looking at a top 5 defense. Just let them play, Wilfork, TBC and Gerrard Warren are the only players in the starting line-up that have 6 years or more under their belts. Sanders blows, I won't count him as a starter. He's a seat warmer for Meriweather in my book.
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]
    You are referring to the Bufalo game. I think the Pats offense has all the ingredients to be something special. I do see a problem with the corners though.
    In fairness to the CBs, except for McCourty they all stink. Problem is: they are all young and inexperienced. There is no leadership back there. You would think that BB would bring in Shawn Springs as a CB coach. Someone needs to step forward to help these guys with the little adjustments that make a difference.
    Butler should not be playing if he is regressing. Typically good teams will put someone in like Butler as a nickel and give him more skillful assignments as his confidence increases. Unfortunately you can say the same thing about Wilhite ,Wheatley and Arrington. These things should be obvious to the  Defensive CoOrdinator . Again unfortunately I think the Defensive CoOrdinator is spread a little too thin.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Hey you never know, maybe they will improve. The thing that bothers me is the amount of higher picks in the secondary. With selections concentrated so much in one area they should be outstanding there. Wheatly 2nd, Merriweather 1st, Butler 2nd, McCourdny 1st, Chung high 2nd, Whilite 3rd...that's alot of your ammo. And never mind the money on Bodden, who was their best corner.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Here's a good blog entry from patspulpit.com, especially Myth #2.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2010/9/27/1716125/debunking-four-patriots-myths

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to At Least Our Defense Is Young - So There's A Small Hope For Improvement.....:
    [QUOTE]If our defense was filled with 30 plus year olds and we're horrible then there is no hope because those guys only get slower when the season goes on.  But we have a lot of young guys, so hopefully by week 8 or 10, if we're still in the playoff hunt and Brady will probably have 40 TD passes (which we'll need everyone) the defense will set getting more discipline and holding teams under 20.   That said it would be gret to have a leader on defense like Vrabel, Bruschi, Harrison, or Seymour right now.
    Posted by DuncanOrange[/QUOTE]

great positivity, i feel the same way. rather have a yong group with speed and stamina learning the game as you go. the leader they have now is Wilfork

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

For a much improved defense, we'll need...

Brandon Spikes to play the run better inside and track down the ballcarrier better on plays to the outside.

Jerod Mayo has to play more decisive at and around the line of scrimmage on a consistent basis.

Pat Chung to become more familiar and gain a better feel for coverage.

Brandon Meriweather to regain his composure. Roller coaster Brandon's should be on understanding his field positioning relative to his ultimate job responsibility, (being the last line of defense). He'll know things come easy to him when his level of consistency levels out.

Devin McCourty to keep learning. He's got everything going his way, but he strikes me as a fast learner who doesn't repeat mistakes - a major trait you wish everyone could develop more swiftly along the way.
    I think there is a lack of complete confidence that plays a huge part in the rest of the corners struggles. I like Darius Butler's physique and talents a lot; too much for me to think he won't be good at some point. I think he's a quick rebounder from controversy, that's my impression, so I expect good things in his future. Whilte is what we've come to see, an average serviceable player. Zach Arrington has a great aggressiveness to his game and I really think he can work well with the more opportunity he is given.

Zoltan Mesko needs to let his leg BOOOOM! His dependability on punting units could be a huge booster shot to the defense.

Gary Guyton to become a more intimidating, straight up tackler. Improved form, footwork and technique could pay huge dividends.

I'm not worried about scheming or conjuring up edge pressure, the Pats can get pressure if they want to in third and fourth down situations. Their can be a crashing mentality or a use of Ninkovich at DE or one of the many secondary players flying in from all over. That stuff will work out alright, but the discipline of the interior defense, specifically from the interior linebackers and safeties, has to force the issue from now on by being comfortable with their positioning and reading and instincts. Easy things that get blown up by "attention to detail".

The coaching I am not too impressed with through the first three weeks, judging by the player development. Belichick is gold, but having another established NFL coordinator like Romeo Crennel or Eric Mangini, (I wish that relationship didn't sour), on defense would have been fantastic for this years team. The younger coaches like Matt Patricia and Corwin Brown could use a figure to consult with and trust aside from Belichick. The players are young and developing very much so themselves still, so it's not like the defensive coaching staff can fall back on Lawyer Milloy, Mike Vrabel, Rodney Harrison, Tedy Bruschi, or Richard Seymour. Instead they have to get through the grind with, for the most part, younger and more inexperienced leaders.

In large, I don't think things will be too bad, although there is definite room for improvement with simple fixes that are just hard for these guys to commit to.

Sections
Shortcuts