At the quarter pole - your biggest surprise about the Pats so far?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: At the quarter pole - your biggest surprise about the Pats so far?

In response to rtuinila's comment:

That some Pats fans were worried about the Pats being able to win games!

Somebody was worried that they could win games with Brady and BB around? That's kinda crazy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to neinmd's comment:

In response to anonymis' comment:

Just because TB is a great player doesn't mean he's a great coach. If this is the first season he's being asked to "train" WRs...maybe he just doesn't have the patient to be a good coach. Besides, he has turned into a prima dona 3-4 years now, this isn't new. It's only ironic cuz pats fans used to rag on poutin peyton any time they got a chance. Now we have our own version in town.

Boy, I really disagree with Brady being characterized as a prima donna. I see zero evidence of that. He has restructured his contract at least twice. He lost almost 90% of his passing yardage to trades or injuries and refuses to use that as an excuse for his suddenly mortal passing numbers. He clearly seemed to celebrate every significant ball caught by his rookies receivers. Those are not the actions of a prima donna. I continue to believe that if the Patriots go deep in the playoffs this year, then this will be Brady's greatest performance as a leader. Yes, the team is more dependent on the running game and defense this year but he is still making key passes at critical times.

You forget, anonymis is not a Pats fan! He was hired by BDC to bring more clicks to the Pats message boards.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

In terms of surprise players, in no particular order, Cannon, Kelly, Gregory, Buchanan, Blount, Arrington and Dennard are all playing beyond my expectations. Still would like to see a fear-inducing strong safety but Gregory has probably been the biggest surprise. I would love to add Vellano to this list by the end of the year. I thought Fletcher would be a line-backing presence but he hasn't played a whole lot. Is he injured again?

The offensive play selection of McDaniels adjusting to the new realities of the passing options, deserves a positive mention, as does Dante's adjustment on the O line.

Talib and Jones are playing out of their minds and headed for the Pro Bowl if they continue like this. Ninkovich is also stellar. But these were not entirely surprises.

4-0, as has been mentioned by others, is the most shocking surprise, given the changes, the youth movement, and the injuries. If they can go 4-2 for the next set of games coming into the Denver game, they will be contenders again this year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Edleman leads the league in receptions.  Before the season most bdc posters were making statements about Amendola probably not being as productive as WW was.  Others said WW probably won't be quite as productive in Denver as he was in New England.  I don't think anyone said Edleman will lead the league in receptions at any point in the season.

He deserves a raise.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

cyncal.. your comments about TB.  Could it be what he saw these players do in practice was not translating to the field during the games?  You know what I mean.  In practice they are making the moves etc he is advising them to make then in the games they fail to do so.  Sort of like an exasperated teacher exclaiming:  "How many times did we go over this formula, and you got it right in practice exams, only to get it wrong in the final exam?".

I would opine TB got that way because he felt these players knew what to do but didn't execute when called upon.

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

I'm pretty sure that I said in my post, I do understand his frustration.  I'm also aware that he has shown intense emotion on the sidelines before.  The only thing I thought was unexpected was that he would display that kind of anger with his new rookie receivers during a game like that.  I just look for more control from a leader, particularly when dealing with new kids like they have.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to cyncalpatfan's comment:

cyncal.. your comments about TB.  Could it be what he saw these players do in practice was not translating to the field during the games?  You know what I mean.  In practice they are making the moves etc he is advising them to make then in the games they fail to do so.  Sort of like an exasperated teacher exclaiming:  "How many times did we go over this formula, and you got it right in practice exams, only to get it wrong in the final exam?".

I would opine TB got that way because he felt these players knew what to do but didn't execute when called upon.

I'm pretty sure that I said in my post, I do understand his frustration.  I'm also aware that he has shown intense emotion on the sidelines before.  The only thing I thought was unexpected was that he would display that kind of anger with his new rookie receivers during a game like that.  I just look for more control from a leader, particularly when dealing with new kids like they have.

Would you have preferred he gave them a back-rub and asked they pretty please to not be complete idiots?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

I certainly don't believe any of the current players are idiots.  I'm pretty sure that one of the qualities that BB values most, is intelligence.  The fact is, young rookie receivers are going to make mistakes.  It doesn't matter that they have been playing football  for most of their lives.  I think most everyone agrees that NFL football is a different animal than what these guys experienced in college.  The trick is to help them work through those mistakes without losing confidence along the way.  I'm also not saying that TB did not have and justification for being upset with them.  I'm sure he had plent to say to them about a couple of those early performances.  I just don't expect him to do it publicly.  It's only my opinion.  If I remember correctly, I think the whole point to this thread was to get people's personal opinions. 

Other than the obvious fact the team is 4 - 0 considering the total revamping of the offense, what has surprised you the most about the Patriots in this 4 - 0 start?

My two cents....

IMHO, the play of the defense has been most surprising.  Given the struggles of the offense, which generally scored plenty of points to overcome any defensive deficiencies, the fact the D has held on late in games to keep the W's from become L's.  Granted, the way those last few minutes of the Falcons game may have caused many to say, " Here we go again, the D collapses!", it didn't. The Pats have not been there usual "blow them away" type of team, as if we expected it, but, the play of the D is my biggest surprise of the season to date.

Let the debate begin! 

I would say, seeing TB kind of lose it on sidelines in the first couple of games.  Don't get me wrong...I can totally appreciate where his frustration was coming from...I just imagined someone with his amount of experience and level of ability would be able to control it a little better.  I'm just pleased to see that he and the receivers seem to be working it out and are making real progress, as the season has been moving along.

What's the surprise? Brady has a low tolerance for idiots. He hasn't had a collection of idiots like this catching for him before now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

Again, if TB screaming is the biggest takeaway, why the hell are you watching Patriots football?

1.  I love the development of KT and Dobson was on his way before getting his head rocked back.

2.  Seeing a power running game is refreshing  - especially with it helping play action with TB UNDER center and not in shot gun.

3.  The development and game changing plays by the defense.  

4.  A secondary that I have faith in.

5.  BB being happy after wins, which makes me giddy because he is seeing something that he hasn't seen in years possible (ugly wins)... better things to come it seems.

6.  This team is far from healthy yet 4-0, and there will be players getting healthier - Gronk, Armstead, Amendola, Vereen....  All while aother players get reps and get better.

Wait but TB yelling is what you take away?  C'mon maaaan....

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at.  I was only responding to the question that was asked.  Now, if you want to know what I'm most pleased about with this team, at this point in time, I would happily quote your 6-point list word for word.  I can't argue with it.  You're right on the money.  But, let me assure you...just because I responded differently to this question than you did, makes me no less of a fan.  I love watching this team play, probably every bit as much as you do.  On the other hand, if you're one of those who gets into painting themselves different colors or wearing costumes to games, then I will acknowledge that you might be a bit more of a fan than I am.  Cool

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

I am not surprised but shocked they are 4-0. I figured with the injuries and inexperience on offense they would be 2-2.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

Would you have preferred he gave them a back-rub and asked they pretty please to not be complete idiots?

No, that would probably be counter productive.  I mean you don't want the players relaxing too much, right?  Besides, would TB be comfortable providing back rubs to his receivers? 

Actually, I was just basing my opinion on my life experiences.  Whether it's on the job, or something that happens in an emergency situation, I find that those who have the greatest success leading those around them are the ones that can keep a cool head while everyone else is losing theirs.  I think that, as far as a football team is concerned, the best way to settle down nervous rookie players is by demonstrating calm rational thinking when things aren't going right.  Hysteria only breeds more hysteria. 

By the way, I still disagree that there are any idiots on this team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

Second choice would be Edelman leading the NFL in receptions without Gronk or Amendola on the field.

I knew he could easily slide in and present a Welker role for the team, but I didn't think he could do it without more support around him like Welker always had.

Yeah dumbkoff, but Welker did it against good teams as well as losers.

Babe I'm surpised at you Rusty finally says something nice about the way Brady can make any receiver great and you jump down his throat.  Play nice now!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

In response to neinmd's comment:

In response to anonymis' comment:

Just because TB is a great player doesn't mean he's a great coach. If this is the first season he's being asked to "train" WRs...maybe he just doesn't have the patient to be a good coach. Besides, he has turned into a prima dona 3-4 years now, this isn't new. It's only ironic cuz pats fans used to rag on poutin peyton any time they got a chance. Now we have our own version in town.

Boy, I really disagree with Brady being characterized as a prima donna. I see zero evidence of that. He has restructured his contract at least twice. He lost almost 90% of his passing yardage to trades or injuries and refuses to use that as an excuse for his suddenly mortal passing numbers. He clearly seemed to celebrate every significant ball caught by his rookies receivers. Those are not the actions of a prima donna. I continue to believe that if the Patriots go deep in the playoffs this year, then this will be Brady's greatest performance as a leader. Yes, the team is more dependent on the running game and defense this year but he is still making key passes at critical times.

You forget, anonymis is not a Pats fan! He was hired by BDC to bring more clicks to the Pats message boards.

Is that why he's always laying these Eggs on the Board...Surprised

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

No, that would probably be counter productive.  I mean you don't want the players relaxing too much, right?  Besides, would TB be comfortable providing back rubs to his receivers? 

Actually, I was just basing my opinion on my life experiences.  Whether it's on the job, or something that happens in an emergency situation, I find that those who have the greatest success leading those around them are the ones that can keep a cool head while everyone else is losing theirs.  I think that, as far as a football team is concerned, the best way to settle down nervous rookie players is by demonstrating calm rational thinking when things aren't going right.  Hysteria only breeds more hysteria. 

By the way, I still disagree that there are any idiots on this team.

Well there is a big difference on how you can remain cool when the Office printer has run out of paper and when the enemy is coming over the hill on a battle field.  Football is like a battlefield, you can't just turn around and say hey bro you mind shooting that guy climbing into our foxhole?  You have to Scream INCOMING and take action Now!  That's why they call it a gridiron!  I have no issue with TB getting in the face of the Rooks during the game.  Save the training/mentoring for the Practice field.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

[/QUOTE]
    Well there is a big difference on how you can remain cool when the Office printer has run out of paper and when the enemy is coming over the hill on a battle field.  Football is like a battlefield, you can't just turn around and say hey bro you mind shooting that guy climbing into our foxhole?  You have to Scream INCOMING and take action Now!  That's why they call it a gridiron!  I have no issue with TB getting in the face of the Rooks during the game.  Save the training/mentoring for the Practice field.

[/QUOTE]

True, we aren't talking about disfunctional office products.  That makes me think of an old commercial where the office workers go into a panic because "the stapler is down"!  That was funny.

Anyway, it's also true that, while football does possess some characteristics of a battle, it is nothing like a real war on the front lines.  There is no live ammunition, nobody trying to kill you, and no life and death struggle.  I like to think of it as...a game.  As I think most people do.  In the battlefield, a mistake could potentially cost you your life.  In football, it may cost you possession of the ball and, perhaps, a few points scored against you.  Ultimately, it may cost you your position on the team which might result in you having to go out and get a real job.  Talk about life and death!

Look, I'm not saying I would expect TB, or any other qb to sit stoic and motionless on the sideline.  Of course, you want emotion.  I just believe that it is most effective when the leader can keep it under control.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Surprises:

1. The play of Thompkins elevated to #1 reciever far exceeding expectations

2. The demise of Sudfeld who looked so good UNTIL the first game.

3. The backfield (Veren and Ridley) going down with injuries after the entire recieving group also down.  There's no offensive weapons left!!

4. The amazing emergence of Edelman

5. The disappearing act from A.Wilson and T. Wilson.  NOTE TO BB: Please do not draft any more Wilson's, except Rebel Wilson.  She may be a stout replacement for Vince on the D line.   

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Surprise to the positives for me are;

Gregory playing better than I anticipated

Blount contributing more than I anticipated and showing to be a good team mate

I "expected" Vareen, Kelly, Bolden, Edelman and Talib to play as well as they have. I also expected Ghost to be very good

I have been regularly pleased with McD and Patricia and their play calls. I feel both to date are having their best seasons

Surprise to the negative for me are;

I thought Collins had the athletic ability to make plays even though a rookie. I am a bit disappointed in his play so far

I had hoped Wendell would take a similar big step this year that he took last year. To date, I feel he has regressed a bit.

Connolly also seems to have regressed a bit, to the point it would not surprise me if Cannon takes more snaps

I feel Boyce has the potential to score anytime he has the ball. Surprised they have not found ways yo put it in his hands More often

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Tomhab's comment:

Second choice would be Edelman leading the NFL in receptions without Gronk or Amendola on the field.

I knew he could easily slide in and present a Welker role for the team, but I didn't think he could do it without more support around him like Welker always had.

Yeah dumbkoff, but Welker did it against good teams as well as losers.

Babe I'm surpised at you Rusty finally says something nice about the way Brady can make any receiver great and you jump down his throat.  Play nice now!

He wasn't saying anything nice about Brady. He was massaging his Edelman fetish.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I think that, as far as a football team is concerned, the best way to settle down nervous rookie players is by demonstrating calm rational thinking when things aren't going right.  Hysteria only breeds more hysteria. 

Leadership involves appropriate use of the carrot and the stick. The stupidity of the rookies at that point needed some stick.

Your disappointment in Brady's leadership sharply contrasts BB's claim that Brady is the best leader he's ever been around.

http://erakablog.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/carrot-stick.jpg

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

Again, if TB screaming is the biggest takeaway, why the hell are you watching Patriots football?

1.  I love the development of KT and Dobson was on his way before getting his head rocked back.

2.  Seeing a power running game is refreshing  - especially with it helping play action with TB UNDER center and not in shot gun.

3.  The development and game changing plays by the defense.  

4.  A secondary that I have faith in.

5.  BB being happy after wins, which makes me giddy because he is seeing something that he hasn't seen in years possible (ugly wins)... better things to come it seems.

6.  This team is far from healthy yet 4-0, and there will be players getting healthier - Gronk, Armstead, Amendola, Vereen....  All while aother players get reps and get better.

Wait but TB yelling is what you take away?  C'mon maaaan....

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at.  I was only responding to the question that was asked.  Now, if you want to know what I'm most pleased about with this team, at this point in time, I would happily quote your 6-point list word for word.  I can't argue with it.  You're right on the money.  But, let me assure you...just because I responded differently to this question than you did, makes me no less of a fan.  I love watching this team play, probably every bit as much as you do.  On the other hand, if you're one of those who gets into painting themselves different colors or wearing costumes to games, then I will acknowledge that you might be a bit more of a fan than I am.  Cool

I think the TB yelling thing is way over blown, that's it.  I guess that set me off.  BTW  I don't dress up for games (as I live on the west coast), so I guess we're on the same level of fanism... I think I just made up a word.  ...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Brady has not won an offseason award in YEARS, basically since he met Gizzy and moved to LA to build some gaudy mansion. 

Right dumbkoff.

That's why he has been to the pro-bowl every year since he hurt his knee.

And that's why he was voted #1 by the players 2 years ago (and #4 last year and this year).

And he is the Pro Football Hall of Fame All-2000s Team #1 QB.

And MVP in 2010. But I guess when you say "years" you take the minimum of that definition and go with 2. LMAO@U

You're pathetic.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Surprise to the positives for me are;

Gregory playing better than I anticipated

Blount contributing more than I anticipated and showing to be a good team mate

I "expected" Vareen, Kelly, Bolden, Edelman and Talib to play as well as they have. I also expected Ghost to be very good

I have been regularly pleased with McD and Patricia and their play calls. I feel both to date are having their best seasons

Surprise to the negative for me are;

I thought Collins had the athletic ability to make plays even though a rookie. I am a bit disappointed in his play so far

I had hoped Wendell would take a similar big step this year that he took last year. To date, I feel he has regressed a bit.

Connolly also seems to have regressed a bit, to the point it would not surprise me if Cannon takes more snaps

I feel Boyce has the potential to score anytime he has the ball. Surprised they have not found ways yo put it in his hands More often

Agree,

on Boyce...wait until Cincy. There is no one left to catch the ball so he should have a nice game.

seriously...design 5-7 plays a game for him...a few long balls, some screens, anything to get him into green field where he can use his speed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Brady has not won an offseason award in YEARS, basically since he met Gizzy and moved to LA to build some gaudy mansion. 

Right dumbkoff.

That's why he has been to the pro-bowl every year since he hurt his knee.

And that's why he was voted #1 by the players 2 years ago (and #4 last year and this year).

And he is the Pro Football Hall of Fame All-2000s Team #1 QB.

And MVP in 2010. But I guess when you say "years" you take the minimum of that definition and go with 2. LMAO@U

You're pathetic.

Pro Bowl? Brett Favre went to the Pro Bowl in 2008 with  20 TDs and 20 INTs. Not really an ideal argument for you, is it?

Pro Bowls are for stats players. 

It's comical to see you contradict yourself in the same post.

First you mock Favre based on his stats for a pro-bowl nod, then claim pro-bowl nods are given based on stats.

You're incompetent. LMAO@U

Sections
Shortcuts