At what positions has BB got his mojo working?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

At what positions has BB got his mojo working?

Certain coaches are experts at drafting one type of player.  For example, Mike Shanahan is respected for his ability to groom running backs.  Can we rate BB on his ability to pick certain types of players?  My theory is that if BB knows he can’t pick em, he’s going to pick someone else.  Here are my guesses grades:

Quarterback:  Hard to tell – someone picked Brady (round 6) in 2000 and then BB was all done for 14 seasons straight.  However, BB had a medium flub, Rohan Davey (round 4), and at least one more seventh round diamond, Matt Cassel (7).  He gets an A+ for drafting Brady at least, even if it’s possible that someone else really pulled the trigger on Brady. Final grade:  A.

Running Back:  No one liked dancing Maroney(1).  Ridley(2) and Vereen(3) were good.  C.

Wide Receiver:  D.  I don’t know, guys like Taylor Price (3) never crack the starting lineup. 

Tight End:  A, at least lately.  Ben Watson(1) wasn't that great.

Offensive Line:  B+.  I like Solder(1), Mankins(1), Cannon(5), Vollmer(2).  BB has been picking solid guys for a while. The O-line makes the Patriots running backs look a lot better than they are.

Defensive Line:  B.  Awards for Vince Wilfork (1), Richard Seymour (1) and maybe Ty Warren (1).  Ron Brace (2) didn’t make it.

Linebackers:  Another B+.  I like Mayo, Hightower and Brandon Spikes. 

Defensive backs:  D.  Lots and lots of picks named Wheatley (2) or Butler (2) or something, and only a few gems of any quality at all.  Small award for Alfonzo Dennard (6).  

Kicker/punter  B.  Ghost (4) and Zoltan (5) were a bit pricey but worth it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Re: At what positions has BB got his mojo working?

FOr a guy like BB his drafting value is drafting value overall. He misses his share but he does a pretty good job overall. WHat I am really getting at is that he does well in filling out a 53 man roster. Others might do as well or even better than him at certain positions of in high rounds but he gets guys that are good if not special. We are always amongst the deepest teams in the league.

THere is an article in ESPN mag just out that mathematically tries to calculate how well teams have drafted since 1994. While this certainly predates BB he has been responsible for much of that. Green Bay is #1 followed by Pitt. NE is 4th or 5th and even after accounting for TB end up around #6. And a number of teams have one or more picks that have significantly helped their numbers.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think he does the best picking guys along the line of scrimmage. Receiver has obviously been a problem, but he's found ways to bring guys in that have had success. All in all the guy knows what a football player is supposed to look like, but it's the draft...it's a crap shoot...things happen.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Does anybody have a guess why BB fails with the little guys?  I suspect that jockeys get injured too often when they collide violently with big gorillas, and so the bug boys never manage to spend much time on the field.  They never progress.  They just get injured over and over again, and then finally they can't play football any more. 

BB has a converse tendency to draft seriously heavy linebackers and nose tackles, the kind that don't get injured that much in violent collisions with smurfs.  They go on to have great careers, by and large.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

Does anybody have a guess why BB fails with the little guys?  I suspect that jockeys get injured too often when they collide violently with big gorillas, and so the bug boys never manage to spend much time on the field.  They never progress.  They just get injured over and over again, and then finally they can't play football any more. 

BB has a converse tendency to draft seriously heavy linebackers and nose tackles, the kind that don't get injured that much in violent collisions with smurfs.  They go on to have great careers, by and large.

His front sevens are always big and physical....disciplined, etc. I don't know why he has had some corners and receivers not work out, but those things happen in football.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Yeah, he's generally very good at OL, DL, TE, and LB.  He's not too good at WR or DB.  About average at HB.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

He picks linemen.  Get a DT or 2 BB. We need to be set for 7-10 more years please. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

when he gets it right, he's a genius. When he gets it wrong, he's a chump. It's mostly gambling. Hope there's lady luck on the patriots side for the upcoming draft.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I think he does the best picking guys along the line of scrimmage. Receiver has obviously been a problem, but he's found ways to bring guys in that have had success. All in all the guy knows what a football player is supposed to look like, but it's the draft...it's a crap shoot...things happen.

+1

The close to the ball the player starts the better BB is at picking them for some odd reason. DL and OL he seems to be great in. LB he's generally pretty good but he did have 2 3rd round LB picks that flopped. TE's even he's been great to good in though again Watson and Graham for 1st round picks didn't perform up to expectations and he did have a couple miss fires in the mid rounds. RB's he's done decently but DB's and WR's he just can't seem to nail it down. His success rate at those positions is lower then the league average which is unusual but I guess when you are above the league average in success rate for other positions the law of averages comes into effect. I'm just hoping McDaniels helps him a bit with WRs as McDaniels did pretty well with Decker and Thomas

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

All in all I would agree that BB's strengths with respect to drafting are:

• Filling out the 53 man roster/practice squad; 
    • OL, DL, LB, TE, RB and QB;
    • Navigating the draft board

Among the best GMs in the game, IMO.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

Defensive Line:  B.  Awards for Vince Wilfork (1), Richard Seymour (1) and maybe Ty Warren (1).  Ron Brace (2) didn’t make it.

I wish we had a Ty Warren on this team.  Injuries ended his career early, but he was a good player.

Sections
Shortcuts