Atlanta blew it up...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Atlanta blew it up...

Falcons released RB Michael Turner.The Falcons also released DE John Abraham and CB Dunta Robinson. All three players had been mentioned as candidates for release, but it's stunning to see the Falcons part ways with three veteran leaders in one fell swoop. Turner's release is by far the least surprising, as the 31-year-old former "Burner" simply appeared out of gas last season, averaging a miserable 3.6 yards on his 222 carries. His $6.9 million salary was prohibitive. The Falcons must now find a between-the-tackles, preferably veteran, complement for Jacquizz Rodgers. Free agent Steven Jackson is the most obvious candidate. In all, the three releases create $21.4 million in real savings, and $18.7 million in cap space. -roto

Falcons released CB Dunta Robinson.
    Robinson's disappointing Atlanta tenure ends three years into a six-year, $57 million deal. Robinson intercepted just four passes in 47 games after coming over from the Texans, and was among the league's more burnable corners in 2012. He was set to make $8 million in 2013, and count $9 million against the cap. A month shy of his 31st birthday, Robinson isn't finished, but should draw more interest as a slot corner than outside starter. -roto

There should be plenty of talent out there come Free Agency.....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Re: Atlanta blew it up...

My bad anonmd.. I didn't see your post as I was one minute behind yours....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Dems the breaks!  Welp! Abraham c'mon on down!

I thought Abraham took a pretty team friendly deal because most people here thought he could command big money and I said he was too old and they apparently dont even like his value at the decent # he got last  year so I say bring him in on a 1 year/1mill deal and I would give Dunta a look too. He plays the game reckless and is prone to injury but alteast he is a gamer who can cover and wont be intimidated. Hell, bring all 3 of them in. M.Turner gonna be much cheaper than S.Jackson...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

My bad anonmd.. I didn't see your post as I was one minute behind yours....

That's OK

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

I hear ya but I had no idea Abraham was 35.  He would have to be spot duty, but he could help out a lot.

Thing about Dunta is that BB may want to keep Arrington for cheaper money, and the fact that he plays speacial teams.  In a pinch though, I would much rather have Danta playing outside if an injury prevails. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

I wouldnt call this "blowing it up" when you release 3 marginal players, 2 of whom are over the hill.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Well they got rid of their best pass-rusher...  Dunta is an above average CB that they now have to place as well as the fact they are probably going to lose Grimes.  Burner lost a step for sure but they need to find an every down back now.  It's not going to be easy in replacing these guys production and roles. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I hear ya but I had no idea Abraham was 35.  He would have to be spot duty, but he could help out a lot.

Thing about Dunta is that BB may want to keep Arrington for cheaper money, and the fact that he plays speacial teams.  In a pinch though, I would much rather have Danta playing outside if an injury prevails. 

Yea thats why I didnt see why folks here thought he would be too pricey for us last year. Now with another year under his belt and the team releasing him while making short money, he must be almost done but if he still wanted to play I would pay him a million to be a 3rd down player. Look how much we payed Haynesworth to play part time and stink up the joint!  In terms of Dunta, Arrington shouldnt even be mentioned in the same breathe. I understand he started on special teams but does he really offer value there?? Dont recall him making any special teams tackles or plays so to me, you have to move on from Arrington. He may be suitable in the slot but I dont even like him there because one injury and he is starting so let him go, draft one of these nice CB prospects. Bring in a couple 30 y/o vets , maybe a Ike Taylor type like BB usually gets and pray for Ras I to get healthy and that Talib takes the tag and comes back fully healthy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

Falcons drop a Bum, a Bum, and bigger Bum

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Robinson now gets added to the same mix of Talib, DRC, Houston, Smith so now there are like 6-7 CB in the same tier with only talent and off field concern separating them all. This should help the Pats as they can't play off each other for contract demands and prices should drop.

I expect to see even more of this happening in the near future. There will be a lot of vets cut around the league and the FA market will get floaded, which will be great for the Pats

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Yea thats why I didnt see why folks here thought he would be too pricey for us last year. Now with another year under his belt and the team releasing him while making short money, he must be almost done but if he still wanted to play I would pay him a million to be a 3rd down player. Look how much we payed Haynesworth to play part time and stink up the joint!  In terms of Dunta, Arrington shouldnt even be mentioned in the same breathe. I understand he started on special teams but does he really offer value there?? Dont recall him making any special teams tackles or plays so to me, you have to move on from Arrington. He may be suitable in the slot but I dont even like him there because one injury and he is starting so let him go, draft one of these nice CB prospects. Bring in a couple 30 y/o vets , maybe a Ike Taylor type like BB usually gets and pray for Ras I to get healthy and that Talib takes the tag and comes back fully healthy.

I guess they are saying Dunta is best suited for the slot at this point... so that's why i corralted Arrington into that thought process.  However, if there was an injury Duntas value is much higher. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Robinson now gets added to the same mix of Talib, DRC, Houston, Smith so now there are like 6-7 CB in the same tier with only talent and off field concern separating them all. This should help the Pats as they can't play off each other for contract demands and prices should drop.

I expect to see even more of this happening in the near future. There will be a lot of vets cut around the league and the FA market will get floaded, which will be great for the Pats

Yep!

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I guess they are saying Dunta is best suited for the slot at this point... so that's why i corralted Arrington into that thought process.  However, if there was an injury Duntas value is much higher. 

Oh, I got you. Sure, this is a 3 WR set league so a good slot Cb is needed and I would love to have Dunta in the slot cuz that would mean we have two capable guys playing outside. I dont wanna keep doing the same things if they aint working and our CBs need to be upgraded IMO.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

This is going to be an interesting weekend on the FA front as tags are due by Monday and more cuts are coming to accommodate the tag cap hits. The pool for CBs is interesting and the safety situation in terms of which get tagged should also get resolved. On Robinson, this might cut both ways as it suggests Atlanta may be more aggressive in trying to lock Grimes up before the 12th.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Oh, I got you. Sure, this is a 3 WR set league so a good slot Cb is needed and I would love to have Dunta in the slot cuz that would mean we have two capable guys playing outside. I dont wanna keep doing the same things if they aint working and our CBs need to be upgraded IMO.

I agree. Time to make the secondary completely solid if not a strength.  I think all Pats fans feel the same way. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In response to maine12's comment:

Falcons drop a Bum, a Bum, and bigger Bum

I think Turner could be pretty effective in a limited role. Not saying I want him here but he should be able to help someone out in 2013. I'd be glad to take Robinson if he was willing to sign a cheap deal which is highly unlikely. If they're going to pay a corner, I'll stick with Talib.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

It appears that free agency this year is increasingly becoming a buyer's market.  That would seem to spell good news for the Pats.  Be very interesting to see what BB ends up doing.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Turner has been durable but for a couple years now has shown signs of wearing down big time in the second half of the season.  With their passing attack they probably feel like they can go RB by committee and not lose much. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

For a 'bum' Abraham had 10 sacks - 2 more than any Patriot had this year. He is getting long in the tooth though.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

Robinson is OK...Abraham is good, but old, and not worth the money. He's also a big injury issue. Turner is not going to be a feature back again. He's too big to be fast at this age, but not an angry enough runner to be that big, strong back in the stable. He's just lost it at this point.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

This is as much about keeping their own FAs as anything. Grimes and Moore to name two. They could also bring back Abraham at a lower number if he doesn't get a better deal elsewhere.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Wouldn't mind john Abraham opposite c jones at all.  He is still a playmaker On defense.

Sections
Shortcuts