Atlanta was Glad they didn't listen to Belichick

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

Re: Atlanta was Glad they didn't listen to Belichick

While I agree that BB trades down a bit too often, you are comparing WRs in vastly different circumstances.

1.  Baldwin has had Tyler Palko throwing him the rock for half the season, He is one of the worst quarterbacks I have ever seen at the pro level in a decade.
    2.  The Falcons can run the ball much better than the Chiefs w/out Charles, which sets up more 'man on' opportunities for those athletic monsters like Baldwin and Julio to make plays.  Noone is afraid of Jackie Battle gashing them, so they can leave their safeties high and protect against the passing game.
    3.  Jones drops alot of passes, many more than he should considering his obvious talent.  Now TO did that and had himself a pretty nice career, so i'm not condmening the guy.

But I get your point, and Baldwin came out of college with a pretty poor reputation, whereas Julio was by most accounts a solid dude.  Point is, the Falcons gave up a TON to get him, and I'm not convinced he's changed their offense that much.  In this particular instance, I think BB gave sound advice.  I'm not huge on trading up, it's the constant trading down that can start to wear on you.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfiton. Show kjfiton's posts

In response to "Re: Atlanta was Glad they didn't listen to Belichick": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Atlanta was Glad they didn't listen to Belichick : Dez Bryant anyone?  The Pats traded down from#24 and Dallas picked him up.  So far this season, Bryant 8 tds and 756 yds with Romo.  You don't think Brady would be loving this guy?  Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE] That was a good trade for Dallas, and would be great with Brady . The falcons gave up a lot more for jones than what Dallas did to get Bryant. I think Atlanta gave up two first round picks, a second and a couple of more. That would be worth it for a guy like moss coming out of college but not for jones imo. I'm with you on Bryant though, was hoping they would draft him at the time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

In Response to Re: Atlanta was Glad they didn't listen to Belichick:
    [QUOTE]In response to "Re: Atlanta was Glad they didn't listen to Belichick": That was a good trade for Dallas, and would be great with Brady . The falcons gave up a lot more for jones than what Dallas did to get Bryant. I think Atlanta gave up two first round picks, a second and a couple of more. That would be worth it for a guy like moss coming out of college but not for jones imo. I'm with you on Bryant though, was hoping they would draft him at the time.
    Posted by kjfiton[/QUOTE]

The Falcons reportedly sent their first, second and fourth round picks along with next seasons’ first round pick to move up 21 spots.

Yes, I agree it's alot and maybe too much.  But when you look at all the Patriots 2nd and 3rd rd picks at WR and CB, it's highly debatable if the "value" philosophy of trading down and stockpiling picks is the best route.  Hopefully McCourtney gets back to what he was in his rookie season.  But right now Ras-I looks to be another name that can be added to the list of bad "value" picks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]Jones is good and can play at this level but Atlanta gave up too much for him. Got to agree with belichick on this one.
    Posted by kjfiton[/QUOTE]

Well Atlanta does have a productive rookie WR from the draft.  The Patriots haven't drafted a solid WR out of college since Branch in 2002.  That's a long freakin time!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: Atlanta was Glad they didn't listen to Belichick": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Atlanta was Glad they didn't listen to Belichick : Dez Bryant anyone?  The Pats traded down from#24 and Dallas picked him up.  So far this season, Bryant 8 tds and 756 yds with Romo.  You don't think Brady would be loving this guy?  Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE] Once again, you're looking at a guy putting up deion Branch numbers and saying look how great this guy is. He's not great, he's mediocre and BB picked up Gronk in that draft who is both a better receiver and better blocker as a TE. The Grass is not always greener. I'm willing to bet that if Bryant was on this team with those numbers people would be ready to lynch him for not being the best or even the 2nd best receiver on the team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Fans on this board seem to fall into two categories.  One side, myself included, think the team has accomplished something amazing in the last 10 years and don't expect to be able to field a Superbowl winning team every year, but they stay very close to that mark and could put it together any given season.  We have learned BB is usually right, and appreciate that he doesn't do what any other coach would do in any situation.  We understand THAT is the reason for our past success, and wanting that gone is like taking those successes away.  So we tend to just say "it was good enough before and it's good enough now".  Because "In Bill we trust" isn't some blind statement based on nothing, but was proven to be a good way to go time and time again.  It was EARNED.

The other side seems like nothing is ever good enough, any failure is horrible, and seems to enjoy pointing fingers, laying blame, stirring up trouble EVEN IN VICTORIES, and just generally being super whiney about every stinking thing.  

You know who you are, and which side you are on.  Seriously, you negative people are just dragging the whole board down.  I expect your response will be to say to me "leave if you don't like it"  but I just wanted to take the opportunity to tell you what a bunch of smelly sniveling bawl babies you are.  

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from achie. Show achie's posts

Trading down for draft picks just hasnt worked for this team. Period. Pittsburgh seems to be good at finding and developing WRs. We keep stockpiling draft picks when we can have a max of only 53 on the team. So why not use the picks where they fall and pick a quality player? Sure, nothing is guaranteed, but when you have a finite number of players you can have on a team the effort should be to pick up the best in the draft. Imagine our defense if we hand not traded Mathews away to Green Bay. This thing of picking up trash and calling it Value is hurting the team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from achie. Show achie's posts

The effect is now obvious in our defensive backs. We keep releasing and signing left overs in DECEMBER when the team should be gelling to make a run. We wont always pick up a Tom Brady. Just use the pick where it falls.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]Fans on this board seem to fall into two categories.  One side, myself included, think the team has accomplished something amazing in the last 10 years and don't expect to be able to field a Superbowl winning team every year, but they stay very close to that mark and could put it together any given season.  We have learned BB is usually right, and appreciate that he doesn't do what any other coach would do in any situation.  We understand THAT is the reason for our past success, and wanting that gone is like taking those successes away.  So we tend to just say "it was good enough before and it's good enough now".  Because "In Bill we trust" isn't some blind statement based on nothing, but was proven to be a good way to go time and time again.  It was EARNED.    The other side seems like nothing is ever good enough, any failure is horrible, and seems to enjoy pointing fingers, laying blame, stirring up trouble EVEN IN VICTORIES, and just generally being super whiney about every stinking thing.   You know who you are, and which side you are on.  Seriously, you negative people are just dragging the whole board down.  I expect your response will be to say to me "leave if you don't like it"  but I just wanted to take the opportunity to tell you what a bunch of smelly sniveling bawl babies you are.  
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]

Well, aren't you special.

Especially stupid that is. You're the weenie crybaby. Waaaah! dey say bad words bout my biwl bewlichik. Waaahhhh!

Sapre us your simpleton's take on things. You don't have a clue on just about anything. You've never made a single post that I have seen that has shown the slightest inkling of intelligence whatsoever. Your simplistic moron's view that if the team has had success it must be the coach's doing is the domain of the mindless zombie.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Atlanta was Glad they didn't listen to Belichick": Once again, you're looking at a guy putting up deion Branch numbers and saying look how great this guy is. He's not great, he's mediocre and BB picked up Gronk in that draft who is both a better receiver and better blocker as a TE. The Grass is not always greener. I'm willing to bet that if Bryant was on this team with those numbers people would be ready to lynch him for not being the best or even the 2nd best receiver on the team.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

Always two sides to the coin, branch has played all 13 games, Jones has missed quite a few and played sparingly in a few, not to mention he is a rookie, not to mention Branch wouldn't be putting up these numbers with any Qb not named Tom Brady.

If you have watched jones play you would realize that for a rookie being the 3rd option and missing lots of time, he is in fact pretty darn good.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Atlanta was Glad they didn't listen to Belichick : Well, aren't you special. Especially stupid that is. You're the weenie crybaby. Waaaah! dey say bad words bout my biwl bewlichik. Waaahhhh! Sapre us your simpleton's take on things. You don't have a clue on just about anything. You've never made a single post that I have seen that has shown the slightest inkling of intelligence whatsoever. Your simplistic moron's view that if the team has had success it must be the coach's doing is the domain of the mindless zombie.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Guess we know which kind YOU are.  Continually menstruating.  Your simplistic moron's view is that if the team is hoisting the Lombardi, they would be holding it in the wrong hand, or not high enough, or would have mismanaged the confetti.  You seem to find something to b1tch about in anything.  I guess I just hit a sore spot with you.  But then again, EVERYTHING is a sore spot with you. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Atlanta was Glad they didn't listen to Belichick : Guess we know which kind YOU are.  Continually menstruating.  Your simplistic moron's view is that if the team is hoisting the Lombardi, they would be holding it in the wrong hand, or not high enough, or would have mismanaged the confetti.  You seem to find something to b1tch about in anything.  I guess I just hit a sore spot with you.  But then again, EVERYTHING is a sore spot with you. 

You're the one who is biching, bich.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

^ honestly it sounds like both of you are no older then 14

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]^ honestly it sounds like both of you are no older then 14
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

Us 14 year olds take exception to people insulting us.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

I tend to agree that BB has been too focused on value when drafting - having said that - giving up what the Falcons did for Jones(5 picks including 2 1sts and a 2nd) for a wide receiver is simply gross overpayment by the Falcons - and I loved Jones in college

I agree with the OP premise - but not with the example he used - BB has often been too conservative when drafting - but this was a bad deal by the Falcons no matter how you slice it

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang3xc. Show hang3xc's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Atlanta was Glad they didn't listen to Belichick : Well, aren't you special. Especially stupid that is. You're the weenie crybaby. Waaaah! dey say bad words bout my biwl bewlichik. Waaahhhh! Sapre us your simpleton's take on things. You don't have a clue on just about anything. You've never made a single post that I have seen that has shown the slightest inkling of intelligence whatsoever. Your simplistic moron's view that if the team has had success it must be the coach's doing is the domain of the mindless zombie.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]
    Why don't you tell us how ya feel..... & try not to sugar coat it    LOL

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Atlanta was Glad they didn't listen to Belichick : Why don't you tell us how ya feel..... & try not to sugar coat it    LOL
    Posted by hang3xc[/QUOTE]

LOL. I would rather refrain from that kind of stuff, but people come in guns blazing and I tend to fire back. Maybe I should take the high road?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]Pricey was not about dollars, it was about picks. Atlanta traded- 1st 2011 1st 2012 2nd 2011 4th 2011 4th 2012 Julio Jones (32nd in yards) is good but right now he'd be third on the Pats barely edging out Branch at 665 yards and 4 TDs. Jones may turn out to be great one day wouldn't surprise me. Considering what the Falcons paid they need more. Atlanta was 13-3 and a division winner last year and figured they just needed that one deep threat to get over the hump. Now they are worse at 9-5 and have no first round pick next year and the future is not looking bright. The reason teams, not just the Pats don't trade away a years worth of picks for one player is because it is historically stupid. The Herschel Walker trade catapulted Dallas to a dynasty and the Ricky Williams trade was just as dumb. Both of those players were still good players but they never justified the price paid.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

+1

although the originator has a fair point (but Baldwin isn't going to be bad either - wait the next year or two because he seems to be another Dwayne Bowe physically)

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Atlanta was Glad they didn't listen to Belichick : You mean the Dwayne Bowe that gives up at the end of games?
    Posted by Patsfansince1966[/QUOTE]

yea but in his defense he plays with Tyler Palko.  I'll cut him some slack on that one

1300 yards and 15 touchdowns last year is worthy of some level of respect

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE]

Atlanta did take risks, and they got a very good productive NFL rookie that will be a starter for years to come. 

wouldnt do that much for a wr.
    if you got luck. maybe, maybe then. but only maybe

Trading down also involves risks, the "value approach has led to quite a few busts,

totally agree

Butler and Wheatley are two 2nd rd value picks that come to mind.

All I'm saying, is sometimes teams have to roll the dice and trade up to get a productive player.   Right now Brady is carrying a team with the worst Pass defense in the league and Deion Branch and T. Underwood as his two wideouts.

agreed. said so before last years draft.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Fans on this board seem to fall into two categories.  One side, myself included, think the team has accomplished something amazing in the last 10 years and don't expect to be able to field a Superbowl winning team every year, but they stay very close to that mark and could put it together any given season.  We have learned BB is usually right, and appreciate that he doesn't do what any other coach would do in any situation.  We understand THAT is the reason for our past success, and wanting that gone is like taking those successes away.  So we tend to just say "it was good enough before and it's good enough now".  Because "In Bill we trust" isn't some blind statement based on nothing, but was proven to be a good way to go time and time again.  It was EARNED.    The other side seems like nothing is ever good enough, any failure is horrible, and seems to enjoy pointing fingers, laying blame, stirring up trouble EVEN IN VICTORIES, and just generally being super whiney about every stinking thing.   You know who you are, and which side you are on.  Seriously, you negative people are just dragging the whole board down.  I expect your response will be to say to me "leave if you don't like it"  but I just wanted to take the opportunity to tell you what a bunch of smelly sniveling bawl babies you are.  

re
    "The other side seems like nothing is ever good enough, any failure is horrible, and seems to enjoy pointing fingers, laying blame, stirring up trouble EVEN IN VICTORIES, and just generally being super whiney about every stinking thing."  

if you believe this you are not very smart.

however, it seems that you simply want to mischaracterize those you see as your opposition to make your position seem the only one.

i and many others have stated clearly and intelligently their concerns.

it is not patriotic to call out other fans who have intelligent concerns or criticisms because they want THEIR team to be better. but doing so (attacking them) is reactionary, divisive, and not thoughtful.

since we have a superbowl caliber qb and a super bowl caliber coach, it would be a waste to have the longest record of 10 plus or wins, etc instead of having more super bowl wins if we just learn how to use the picks bb accumulates to get 2-3 difference makers ie top defensive players, and at least a mid-level true wideout.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: Atlanta was Glad they didn't listen to Belichick": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Atlanta was Glad they didn't listen to Belichick : Always two sides to the coin, branch has played all 13 games, Jones has missed quite a few and played sparingly in a few, not to mention he is a rookie, not to mention Branch wouldn't be putting up these numbers with any Qb not named Tom Brady. If you have watched jones play you would realize that for a rookie being the 3rd option and missing lots of time, he is in fact pretty darn good. Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE] The response from me was about Dez Bryant not Jones.