Attacking Vs. Containing Defense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Weatherdeck. Show Weatherdeck's posts

Attacking Vs. Containing Defense

Gap control, containment, third down success, preventing the big play are all part of the Patriots  defensive strategy.  Philosophy, personnel and yes even "history" play a big part in what many posters on another discussion string refer to as a "boring defense".    I guess you can't argue with the  success of the past, but I am predicting that a new type of history will be made this week and will give all Patriots fans some cause to consider  if BB et al should modify their appraoch to defense.

What you will see on Sunday is the polar opposite of the Patriots style. A relentless, attacking style with lots of penetration, DBs closing fast to the ball linebackers squaring up and droping running backs in their tracks and yes Tom Brady hurried, sacked and harrassed, so reminiscent of the last time he played against a New York team.  Call Ryan a loud-mouthed slob-  your absolutely right-  but his attacking defence will be a beauty to behold.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Attacking Vs. Containing Defense

The big draw back with an attacking defense is that it leaves room for the big play. Brady is great at picking up blitzes and the Pats have already shown they will go to a 6 man line if needed. Do you really want to risk single coverage on both Welker and Moss along with leaving faulk a screen or flat just to try to add a bit more pressure. If fat boy Rex trys that he might win a couple of battles here or there but Moss, Welker, and Faulk will make their secondary look silly and break some real big plays. Sorry but blitzing ain't going to work this time around

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

"Tom Brady hurried, sacked and harrassed, so reminiscent of the last time he played against a New York team.  Call Ryan a loud-mouthed slob-  your absolutely right-  but his attacking defence will be a beauty to behold."

yeah, whatever troll.  Seeing jersey B routed 56-0 will be a beauty to behold.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I agree with PatsEng...The all out attack defense will create space for Brady to dump at will. The big difference between the Giants and Jets D is the fact that the Giants D can bring blitz like pressure from their front 4, and the Jets will need 1 or 2 of their linebackers to do the same. When that happens, it creates space for which Welker, Faulk or Maroney to work underneath. I'll take the short pass all day long.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

On defense, I expect to see Belichick let Meriweather free roam like he did with Rodney Harrison. 

On Offense, Faulk and Watson will need to contribute big. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

The all out eight man blitz looks nice if you want to ruin Brady, however, he makes quick reads and is capable of a 6 step drop. So you could succeed just as easily as you fail miserably. The big key will be how are defense performs. Stuff run. Kill Leon Washington (is this the troll's true indentity....nahhhh) and force Sanchez (who is not the most awesome rookie QB of all time) to make hurried bad decisions. Ryan's D looks better with Lewis, Suggs and Ed Reed....none of whom play for the Jests.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RantinRaven. Show RantinRaven's posts

I liked the "concept" of what Buffalo did with the no-huddle.  Wilfork was definitely winded and not as affectual as he has been when he gets to rotate.  If the Patriots can move the chains with a no-huddle early on, they should keep the foot to the pedal.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

In Response to Attacking Vs. Containing Defense:
    [QUOTE]What you will see on Sunday is the polar opposite of the Patriots style. A relentless, attacking style with lots of penetration, DBs closing fast to the ball linebackers squaring up and droping running backs in their tracks and yes Tom Brady hurried, sacked and harrassed, so reminiscent of the last time he played against a New York team.  Call Ryan a loud-mouthed slob-  your absolutely right-  but his attacking defence will be a beauty to behold.
    Posted by Weatherdeck[/QUOTE]

On Sunday, I will see..... a huffing and puffing Jenkins!

Don't forget the blitz is dead when the quarterback releases the ball. Anything after that is a personal foul. You know how fast Brady can release.

Count on a no-huddle happening at some point in the game. Probably in the 2nd half. Poor Jenkins!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

I've got to agree with the original poster 100%.  I was a proponent of switching to a 4-3 but I didn't realize it would be so much at the expense of QB penetration.  The Pats base 34 worked so well earlier in the decade but I've got to think part of that was due to the personnel.  There is a lot to be said on this issue but there is no question Rex Ryan's defense is an intimidator.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

• Jenkins has a hurt back.Same problem that sidelined him in a game vs. San Diego.He was limited in practice all week.
    • Brady has seen a Rex Ryan defense before against Baltimore,and trust me NYJ's definitely does not have the talent that Baltimore has on defense.
    • Sanchez may have looked alright in pre-season (3 TD's,1 INT) against 2nd and 3rd stringers,and mediocre in his first NFL game (1 TD,1 INT ranked 20th out of 32 QB's) against a team that has never finished a season better than 8-8,but he has NEVER played against a team of NE's caliber.
    • "Welcome to the NFL" Miss Sanchez.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dboss. Show dboss's posts

The Pats read and react defense requires a much higher football IQ.  An attacking defense is just not the way we play and who can argue with success.  

Look for NE to lull Sanchez into a false sense of security and then watch what happens.  Sanchez only completed passes to 4 receivers against the mighty Texans.  At some point NE will solve the running game and shut them down.  And that will force Sanchez to find open receivers.

This is going to be a hard hitting game.

dboss

Sections
Shortcuts