Attention Armchair GMs:

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Attention Armchair GMs:

I understand part of being a fan is discussing FA moves, the draft, specific matchups, etc.  However, it is an entirely different thing to continuously critique and bash the GM of your respective team.  So here we have it:  for all of you armchair GMs that think BB is wasting FA away, that he's too stubborn to spend cash, and that he isn't doing a very good job as the GM; here is your time to vent and pick the players you want to fill out the 53 man roster including draft picks and free agent signings.  

List your FA signings and draft picks that fit into your ideal 53 man roster.  The contracts have to be reasonable and resemble their market value.

I keep seeing how "we need a 6'5 outside receiver, a dominant pass rusher, a hard hitting safety, a shut down cornerback, and better offensive/defensive lineman."  It seems that many of you are trying to assemble a Madden-esque Pro Bowl roster instead of a balanced 53 man roster.

I think it's only appropriate that if you can't reasonably fit these ideal players under the salary cap while filling out the 53 man roster, you don't have much room to b*tch and moan.  Let's hear it, fellas

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Re: Attention Armchair GMs:

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

I understand part of being a fan is discussing FA moves, the draft, specific matchups, etc.  However, it is an entirely different thing to continuously critique and bash the GM of your respective team.  So here we have it:  for all of you armchair GMs that think BB is wasting FA away, that he's too stubborn to spend cash, and that he isn't doing a very good job as the GM; here is your time to vent and pick the players you want to fill out the 53 man roster including draft picks and free agent signings.  

List your FA signings and draft picks that fit into your ideal 53 man roster.  The contracts have to be reasonable and resemble their market value.

I keep seeing how "we need a 6'5 outside receiver, a dominant pass rusher, a hard hitting safety, a shut down cornerback, and better offensive/defensive lineman."  It seems that many of you are trying to assemble a Madden-esque Pro Bowl roster instead of a balanced 53 man roster.

I think it's only appropriate that if you can't reasonably fit these ideal players under the salary cap while filling out the 53 man roster, you don't have much room to b*tch and moan.  Let's hear it, fellas

That's my question as well. Especially the money part. Including who they are releasing from currently under contract to make room, if need be. Also including how much cap room they are leaving for in season injury backfills to vets who's league minimum is not cheap typically.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

That's my question as well. Especially the money part. Including who they are releasing from currently under contract to make room, if need be. Also including how much cap room they are leaving for in season injury backfills to vets who's league minimum is not cheap typically.

Thank you.  People act like it's so simple and we can just throw 6/80 at Jennings, 6/70 at Goldson, trade a 2nd round pick for Larry Fitzgerald, etc.  I have NO problem discussing FA moves and who we woulda/shoulda/coulda signed, but the level of irrationality is just annoying.  There is a little thing called a salary cap and you have to fit 53 professional football players under it.  Not that simple.  Let the master do his work.  

He helps put us in a position to win it all every year.  Yes, we have not won in over 8 years now but every team has a 1/32 chance to win the Super Bowl every year.  The fact that we have been in contention for this elusive trophy for the past 13 years speaks volumes to BB, Brady, Kraft, and the rest of the Patriots organization.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Bennett signed a 1year $5mil contract there's your pass rusher (seems reasonable to me)

Quin signed a 5year $25mil contract 11mil gauranteed there's your SS (seems reasonable to me)

Lewis/Cox/DRC all of them signed deals averaging 5mil a year DRC for 1 year, take your choice of one (seems reasonable to me)

Right there with proper contract right ups you are looking at a 8-12mil cap hit. Even after Amendola you still have 21.5mil to spend. Given the draft picks and alloted money (3.5mil for those picks) you are at 18mil. Even top end you have 6mil left to sign Washington, some depth players, and Talib (Cut Gregory since you have Quin).

Then you can draft a DT in the first use the 7th's for OL depth (scar loves those late picks). With the 2nd and 3rd you can try to draft a WR and use the other pick for whatever else you want 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

yeah michael bennett and his 9 sacks would have made NE a team to fear. a whole 1 more sack than Nink. and Quin! that Texans D was amazing with him at safety! Lewis/Cox/DRC would have vastly improved the secondary way more than talib. 15M for 3 of those players and patriots would be SB champs...NOT.

Bennett is an upgrade over Nink. Quin is a huge upgrade over Gregory, I said to sign Talib too so it would have been one of those and Talib and Dennard which would have been an upgrade over what we had last year and they still would have signed Amendola.

So tell me they have 18mil tell me who will be better upgrades then those I listed because the exercise was to use the cap money to upgrade the team

If you don't want Bennett Byrant wasn't much more and with a good contract right up you can have him in replacement of Bennett as a DT if you like

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

ill have to agree with ricky here, bennett and quin are not the answer. cant say im disappointed that they didnt go out and sign either of them.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

ill have to agree with ricky here, bennett and quin are not the answer. cant say im disappointed that they didnt go out and sign either of them.

They have 18mil to spend who do you want, Kraft says they will spend to the cap who currently do you see as an upgrade that you would sign currently on the FA market that the Pats are waiting to sign?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

They have 18mil to spend who do you want, Kraft says they will spend to the cap who currently do you see as an upgrade that you would sign currently on the FA market that the Pats are waiting to sign?

there are better options in the draft than bennett, as far as safeties and cornerbacks go.....id rather they re-sign talib and go after bernie pollard or ed reed....obviously those options are more expensive than quin, but they are better players.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

there are better options in the draft than bennett, as far as safeties and cornerbacks go.....id rather they re-sign talib and go after bernie pollard or ed reed....obviously those options are more expensive than quin, but they are better players.

I will gaurantee nether will cost more then Quin in the end given the market. Reed is a 1 yr solution and I have no clue why people like Pollard honestly. He's the Gregory of SSs. Forget about the injures he causes the Pats and actually look at his play around the league. He's a fringe starter SS who doesn't wrap up and is bad in coverage. There's also a reason he's going on his 4th team in 8 years

Again, if you are going to critize then give your solution. You have 18mil who on the current market would you sign that is better then what I suggested and at what price?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

Bennett signed a 1year $5mil contract there's your pass rusher (seems reasonable to me)

Quin signed a 5year $25mil contract 11mil gauranteed there's your SS (seems reasonable to me)

Lewis/Cox/DRC all of them signed deals averaging 5mil a year DRC for 1 year, take your choice of one (seems reasonable to me)

Right there with proper contract right ups you are looking at a 8-12mil cap hit. Even after Amendola you still have 21.5mil to spend. Given the draft picks and alloted money (3.5mil for those picks) you are at 18mil. Even top end you have 6mil left to sign Washington, some depth players, and Talib (Cut Gregory since you have Quin).

Then you can draft a DT in the first use the 7th's for OL depth (scar loves those late picks). With the 2nd and 3rd you can try to draft a WR and use the other pick for whatever else you want 

How are you signing 3 players at $5 million/year (including 2 on 1-year deals), and you're only getting an 8-12 mil cap hit?  Are you giving up on Vollmer?  Cutting Gregory only frees 500k.  You're also leaving yourself NO room under the cap for later acquisitions, which is not good.  Also, the latest I'm seeing is the Pats with 19.3 million in cap room, not counting Washington.  Maybe you're not counting the Hooman tender.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Oh, and while you arm chair GMs are at it, please justify your recommended player moves and compensation for both the short term as well as the long term, which of course is necessary...and make sure you consider positions with players that will need youth upgrades, expiring contracts, and stay within the the team salary cap, both near and long term ... and most of all don't forget to be consistent with the specific skills the Patriots require to execute their offensive and defensive sets and strategy.  If you can't, then you're just blowing hot air.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I think another thing people forget is that not all situations are alike. For the sake of argument, let's just factor these 5 things into the mix, although I'm sure there's many, many more:

1) Weather (how does someone growing up in the southeast handle playing in Boston?)

2) Coaching style (BB is more tight while Pete Carrol is more fun-loving)

3) Supporting cast (does a player perform better when paired with someone competitive or does he stop caring as much seeing someone else carry the load?)

4) Money (how does a player handle more money than he's ever had?), family situation (for instance, signing Gronk when he was single and later signing him after he's married with 3 kids),

5) Change of scenery (how does a player handle moving from one city to another? more distractions, less distractions?)

With advanced scouting, you would think our team and 31 other teams have a much better idea of what is going on with these players behind the scenes too. Therefore, it's hard for people like PatsEng above to just make a list of free agents and say "Boom, that's how easy it was."

I'm reading Isaacson's bio on Steve Jobs and it's like saying that Steve Jobs, had he been recruited by Pepsi, could have turned the beverage industry upside-down just because of his vision and charisma. Not likely. Possible but not guaranteed. It's all circumstances: where he was born, where he chose to start his company, who he ran into to build his computers, proximity, etc.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:

How are you signing 3 players at $5 million/year (including 2 on 1-year deals), and you're only getting an 8-12 mil cap hit?  Are you giving up on Vollmer?  Cutting Gregory only frees 500k.  You're also leaving yourself NO room under the cap for later acquisitions, which is not good.  Also, the latest I'm seeing is the Pats with 19.3 million in cap room, not counting Washington.  Maybe you're not counting the Hooman tender.

Amendola averages 6mil a year but only counts 4mil this year against the cap. You can structure contracts easily. 

Quin 11 mil guaranteed over 5 years with a 1mil base is 3mil cap hit. Lewis at 4yrs 20mil 8mil gauranteed again 1st year 1 mil 3mil cap hit. Bennett is 5mil that's 11mil. Or extend out 2 years 9.5mil 6.5 guaranteed to make it mor attractive min first year 2.5mil second and that's 4mil cap hit total 10mil. You can get creative with the cap

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

I will gaurantee nether will cost more then Quin in the end given the market. Reed is a 1 yr solution and I have no clue why people like Pollard honestly. He's the Gregory of SSs. Forget about the injures he causes the Pats and actually look at his play around the league. He's a fringe starter SS who doesn't wrap up and is bad in coverage. There's also a reason he's going on his 4th team in 8 years

Again, if you are going to critize then give your solution. You have 18mil who on the current market would you sign that is better then what I suggested and at what price?

i just think there are better options. im not criticizing you for wanting the pats to sign those players, im criticizing because you act like those are the only options out there. BB isnt going to overpay for players early in FA just to make the fans happy. you should know this by now....is it frustrating to some fans? yes, but as long as the team stays competitive, we really dont have much room to complain.

they will focus on re-signing their own players and than try to find some good deals on secondary players and maybe try to get some deals on players with attitude problems, like pollard. this is how BB has always done things, and it has worked. we lost welker and signed a younger version of him, i dont get all the whining here. he also signed a return man, a part of the team that needed improvement.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I ask one thing don't critize without giving your own solutions. Give numbers and reasonings too. If you are just going to critize and say no it's not possible you have to give just as much as you ask for so explain why it won't work and what you would do with the 18mil because Kraft said we are going to spend to the cap so spend

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

And to put my money where my mouth is... Sign Vollmer and Talib.  Depending on the contract structure, those 2 should count 10-11 million under the cap for 2013, leaving you with 8.3-9.3 (less Washington's number).  After the 3.5 you need for draft picks, I'm done until training camp cutdowns.  The only way you sign more players is through restructuring/cutting current players.  I prefer keeping Lloyd, because I don't think you're going to find a better WR for the 2.5 million in cap dollars you save by cutting him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

i just think there are better options. im not criticizing you for wanting the pats to sign those players, im criticizing because you act like those are the only options out there. BB isnt going to overpay for players early in FA just to make the fans happy. you should know this by now....is it frustrating to some fans? yes, but as long as the team stays competitive, we really dont have much room to complain.

they will focus on re-signing their own players and than try to find some good deals on secondary players and maybe try to get some deals on players with attitude problems, like pollard. this is how BB has always done things, and it has worked. we lost welker and signed a younger version of him, i dont get all the whining here. he also signed a return man, a part of the team that needed improvement.

The Pats were right and prices came down drastically. Compared to previous years the prices are nothing. Don't forget the Pats paid Ocho 6mil and Ellis 5mil. If you don't think what is currently happening as a bargain I don't know what to tell you.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I am with PatsEng on this. The guys mentioned improve our defense. when Kraft said we would spend to the cap, I get a strange feeling he is talking about guys we have and might extend. Sadly, I don't think the pats are going to be players in this target rich FA environment. This year there were some decently priced and talented FA's, but the pats I think have other plans.

frankly I don't understand it. You have 5 draft picks, numerous holes, and many an opportunity to upgrade in FA which we didn't take advantage of yet..I say yet because I am holding on to the last thread of hope. Bennett, Bryant, DRC, Quinn would have been upgrades over who we currently have, and would have filled some holes.

i trust bb, but this is starting to get old. Close but not enough. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:

And to put my money where my mouth is... Sign Vollmer and Talib.  Depending on the contract structure, those 2 should count 10-11 million under the cap for 2013, leaving you with 8.3-9.3 (less Washington's number).  After the 3.5 you need for draft picks, I'm done until training camp cutdowns.  The only way you sign more players is through restructuring/cutting current players.  I prefer keeping Lloyd, because I don't think you're going to find a better WR for the 2.5 million in cap dollars you save by cutting him.

the 18mil already accounted for the draft picks. You left 11.8-12.8mil on the table? That's enough for another CB and S and DE and you are just leaving it on the table?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

you're right patseng, these contracts that we are seeing these players get, arent astronomical. i just feel there are better options and the pats will explore them...this team will look a lot different come training camp.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

the 18mil already accounted for the draft picks. You left 11.8-12.8mil on the table? That's enough for another CB and S and DE and you are just leaving it on the table?

I think your numbers are off.  I believe the Pats are at 19.3 right now, not including the Washington signing.  19.3 - 10 (Talib/Vollmer) - 3.5 (draft) = 5.8 for signings after training camp cutdowns and into the season.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

What exactly are the proper contract right ups and you are assuming every player would agree to the terms of those proper contract right ups that "you"(meaning your team) wants.

Again the money thing is not my thing but if they are all back loaded then are you not heading down the jets road in doing that? Robbing Peter to pay Paul later?

Also, I am not so sure Bennet is an upgrade over Nink and if he is then it's marginal.