Attention Armchair GMs:

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Attention Armchair GMs:

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Bennett signed a 1year $5mil contract there's your pass rusher (seems reasonable to me)

Quin signed a 5year $25mil contract 11mil gauranteed there's your SS (seems reasonable to me)

Lewis/Cox/DRC all of them signed deals averaging 5mil a year DRC for 1 year, take your choice of one (seems reasonable to me)

Right there with proper contract right ups you are looking at a 8-12mil cap hit. Even after Amendola you still have 21.5mil to spend. Given the draft picks and alloted money (3.5mil for those picks) you are at 18mil. Even top end you have 6mil left to sign Washington, some depth players, and Talib (Cut Gregory since you have Quin).

Then you can draft a DT in the first use the 7th's for OL depth (scar loves those late picks). With the 2nd and 3rd you can try to draft a WR and use the other pick for whatever else you want 

What exactly are the proper contract right ups and you are assuming every player would agree to the terms of those proper contract right ups that "you"(meaning your team) wants.

Again the money thing is not my thing but if they are all back loaded then are you not heading down the jets road in doing that? Robbing Peter to pay Paul later?

Also, I am not so sure Bennet is an upgrade over Nink and if he is then it's marginal.

Yeah money isn't your thing. I'll use Quin as an example

11 guaranteed means 2.2 every year add with 14mil that needs to be split over 5 years. You can work it out to 1mil the 1st year, 2mil the second year, 3mil for the next 2 (cap expands), and 5mil for the last year. That's a reasonable way to work up a contract and is typical of a work up

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:

the 18mil already accounted for the draft picks. You left 11.8-12.8mil on the table? That's enough for another CB and S and DE and you are just leaving it on the table?

I think your numbers are off.  I believethe Pats are at 19.3 right now, not including the Washington signing.  19.3 - 10 (Talib/Vollmer) - 3.5 (draft) = 5.8 for signings after training camp cutdowns and into the season.

Last time I checked they were at $25.5 before Amedola signing. Amendola will cost 4mil this year so that brings it to $21.5. I haven't seen Washington deal yet so I'm assuming min deal which would bring down to $21 so I was a bit off at $17.5mil. When I hear what Washingtons numbers are I'll revise it

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

the 18mil already accounted for the draft picks. You left 11.8-12.8mil on the table? That's enough for another CB and S and DE and you are just leaving it on the table?

I think your numbers are off.  I believethe Pats are at 19.3 right now, not including the Washington signing.  19.3 - 10 (Talib/Vollmer) - 3.5 (draft) = 5.8 for signings after training camp cutdowns and into the season.

Last time I checked they were at $25.5 before Amedola signing. Amendola will cost 4mil this year so that brings it to $21.5. I haven't seen Washington deal yet so I'm assuming min deal which would bring down to $21 so I was a bit off at $17.5mil. When I hear what Washingtons numbers are I'll revise it

Also, the Hooman tender for 1.3.

Hey, if I'm wrong and we have a bit more room, I'm spending it on Adrian Wilson for 3 years.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

If we can nab Wilson, and maybe Matt shaughnessy, talib, Cason, Donald jones and David Nelson, I feel pretty good going into the draft. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Also, the Hooman tender for 1.3.

Hey, if I'm wrong and we have a bit more room, I'm spending it on Adrian Wilson for 3 years.

so going into the post season with the 9th most amount of cap room all you want to do is essentially keep the status quo (Vollmer, Talib Amendola swap for Welker) and add a returner and Wilson and you are perfectly happy?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

If we can nab Wilson, and maybe Matt shaughnessy, talib, Cason, Donald jones and David Nelson, I feel pretty good going into the draft. 

I'd feel better if we did this but not sure how much Wilson has left. He was pushed out of a Nickel spot at the end of the year on a bad secondary. But Cason would be an upgrade over Arrington and Jones/Nelson would be better then Branch/Edelman

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Bennett signed a 1year $5mil contract there's your pass rusher (seems reasonable to me)

Quin signed a 5year $25mil contract 11mil gauranteed there's your SS (seems reasonable to me)

Lewis/Cox/DRC all of them signed deals averaging 5mil a year DRC for 1 year, take your choice of one (seems reasonable to me)

Right there with proper contract right ups you are looking at a 8-12mil cap hit. Even after Amendola you still have 21.5mil to spend. Given the draft picks and alloted money (3.5mil for those picks) you are at 18mil. Even top end you have 6mil left to sign Washington, some depth players, and Talib (Cut Gregory since you have Quin).

Then you can draft a DT in the first use the 7th's for OL depth (scar loves those late picks). With the 2nd and 3rd you can try to draft a WR and use the other pick for whatever else you want 

What exactly are the proper contract right ups and you are assuming every player would agree to the terms of those proper contract right ups that "you"(meaning your team) wants.

Again the money thing is not my thing but if they are all back loaded then are you not heading down the jets road in doing that? Robbing Peter to pay Paul later?

Also, I am not so sure Bennet is an upgrade over Nink and if he is then it's marginal.

11 guaranteed means 2.2 every year add with 14mil that needs to be split over 5 years. You can work it out to 1mil the 1st year, 2mil the second year, 3mil for the next 2 (cap expands), and 5mil for the last year. That's a reasonable way to work up a contract and is typical of a work up

Thanks for explaing eng.

..but i think it also illustrates my point as posibility as well no? WHat if two of the players you mentioned say umm well I want all my guanranteed money in the first two years or no deal? Does that not then cause problems? ...or am I missing it still?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Thanks for explaing eng.

..but i think it also illustrates my point as posibility as well no? WHat if two of the players you mentioned say umm well I want all my guanranteed money in the first two years or no deal? Does that not then cause problems? ...or am I missing it still?

that's the deals that they took so no it doesn't really. What I think your missing is the signing bonus is given upfront and spread over the length of the deal

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

so going into the post season with the 9th most amount of cap room all you want to do is essentially keep the status quo (Vollmer, Talib Amendola swap for Welker) and add a returner and Wilson and you are perfectly happy?

Absolutely?

Part of why they had so much room is because they had 3 major free agents.  Effectively not losing any of them (with the Amendola/Welker swap), while still upgrading 2 major holes in your roster is an excellent pre-draft off-season.  In fact, about as good as could be hoped for.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Absolutely?

Part of why they had so much room is because they had 3 major free agents.  Effectively not losing any of them (with the Amendola/Welker swap), while still upgrading 2 major holes in your roster is an excellent pre-draft off-season.  In fact, about as good as could be hoped for.

Not sure Wilson is an upgrade, actually I wouldn't be sure he'd be on the team after camp truthfully. I saw his last couple games and he was beyond run down. They didn't even toss him out there in nickel coverage. There is a reason they are letting him go when he's only costing $3.75mil. Washington is a nice piece but a major upgrade? Returns aren't hard to find. I wouldn't be happy with keeping the status quo when the have cler areas of need that should be addressed and could be with the right moves.

Wilson won't cost anything so you can have him. At ths point Vollmer could most likely be ha for 4-5mil Talib about he same. Add in Nelson/Jones and Cason as your 3rd CB. Draft a DT and draft a bigger WR and another S that might be alright but theyhad enough room to go into this offseason and make some moves to really improve the team. Esp, with the amount of contract demands that dropped across the league

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Well for one, I’m not the one critiquing what Bill is doing nor am I saying that he’s incapable of being the coach and the GM.  That was the main point of this thread.  However, since you ask, if I’m GM, I do the following:

First, I see what Vollmer wants.  If he wants more than 6-7M per, I look elsewhere.  I think Cannon can step in and do a decent job and there are linemen throughout the draft that will be available in the later rounds.  Having Coach Scar is a huge plus.  He constantly develops late round lineman and forms them into solid contributors.

I offer Talib 3 years/15M.  I don’t think Talib will command any more than 5 per in a deep CB class and the fact that he was injured last season.  He knows he has a good thing here in NE and I bet he stays for 5M.

I look at Adrian Wilson and see what he wants.  I think he comes relatively cheap at 3 per considering he’s getting old in the tooth.  Same with Reed.  I think a veteran safety should be one of the main focuses.  I go 2-3 years with Adrian at 3-4 per.  I see a lot of Rodney in Adrian.

I also look at Abraham to see what he wants.  I don’t think he’ll command more than 4M per.

I don’t spend to the cap considering of all the camp cuts come training camp time.  Many solid veterans are cut each year during training camp.

You structure these contracts so that the brunt of the contract comes in the later years of the contract when the cap goes up in 2015.  

14. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts