Austin Collie Hit

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

Austin Collie Hit

Anyone see that? Thoughts? It was called an incomplete pass and a personal foul against a defenseless receiver.

Of course I'm biased against the Colts, but thats one of the worst calls I've ever seen in the NFL.

I hope the guy is ok. But what a BAD BAD BAD Peyton Manning call.

I understand the need to protect players, but there was not a thing wrong with that hit. The NFL is turing into a joke with these calls.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

Re: Austin Collie Hit

And what the heck does Phil Simms know? I love how these commentators side with the officials. Maybe they are told to by the NFL, but how about some commentary that is unbiased.

And yet another Colt's touchdown that was handed to them by the NFL. 25% of Peyton's career touchdown drives have been aided by the league.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

Think of how many more SB's, MVP's, and records Brady would have in his career if he consistently benefited from the NFL's Peyton Gay Love System.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

You don't want to see the guy get hurt, but I didn't see a helmet-to-helmet hit or a defenseles receiver on that play.

And it most certainly was a fumble.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

IMO, it WAS a catch and a fumble, and there was no launching on a defenseless receiver as the receiver was running with the ball.  In addition, he runner got hit in the helmet because HE lowered his head after initial contact.  That said, Philly had plenty of opportunities and you have to game plan for the Colts to get the close calls - just like we will.  Time will tell if the Iggles can overcome a bad call (and they shot themselves in the foot with a stupid face mask penalty) - but does a borderline call going for the Colts surprise anyone really?  Besides, whatever happens in this game is really immaterial - won't hide the fact that we laid an egg, and Peyton and the Colts will probably not.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

I'd call the incomplete understandable given the speed of the game.  Could have been challenged.  The unnecessary roughness on the other hand was incorrect, but if you assume the pass was incomplete, then you assume (i guess) the receiver was defenseless.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

Not saying it is right, just trying to rationalize the foul.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I guess that's the way they must have seen it, doggggg.

But Collie was clearly in a tuck, and I honestly believe the call was made simply because the hit was too hard, which is a bad precedent. We were warned about this "devastating hit" legislation, and here it is.

Get ready to have game officials gauging the severity of contact when assessing whether roughness is "necessary" or not.

In any case, I hope the guy's not hurt too bad.

It was a wicked shot, and his neck whiplashed pretty hard when he hit the turf.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

Good for you Indy - I hate the Colts but would never want to see any of their players hurt - having said that - that was a perfectly legal play by the Eagles - there was no launching or leading with the helmet - the game is fast and things happen

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

too bad collie got hurt on the play hope he is ok but it was a clean hit and it was a fumble.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

Kudos to the CBS staff (Marino, Cower, Sharpe, and Boomer) with calling it like it was and saying it wasn't a penalty and was a catch.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

In Response to Re: Austin Collie Hit:
    [QUOTE]I guess that's the way they must have seen it, doggggg. But Collie was clearly in a tuck, and I honestly believe the call was made simply because the hit was too hard, which is a bad precedent. We were warned about this "devastating hit" legislation, and here it is. Get ready to have game officials gauging the severity of contact when assessing whether roughness is "necessary" or not. In any case, I hope the guy's not hurt too bad. It was a wicked shot, and his neck whiplashed pretty hard when he hit the turf.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

As for the play itself, it could have been challenged and the Eagles staff had plenty of opps to watch the replay.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

AND YET ANOTHER BS penalty the league and its officiating give to the Colts on the "running into the kicker" penalty.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

Happens all of the time adam.  What about no intentional grounding for Vick.  Give up the ghost.  their's no bias for the colts by the NFL.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

I know the Colts benefit from the officiating all the time. I'm glad you made my point for me.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

Adam - Could the Eagles have challenged the Collie catch?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

[QUOTE]Adam - Could the Eagles have challenged the Collie catch?
    Posted by Indylove[/QUOTE]

Yeah they could have. However I don't think that was first and foremost on their minds at the time.

Funny thing is, if they had challenged it, the Indy trolls would be whining.

I think the general consensus is by all of the commentators is that it was a catch, and wasn't a penalty. The Colts have benefited from officiating for years and that is undisputed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

And what, because they didn't challenge it means it wasn't a catch?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Austin Collie Hit : Yeah they could have. However I don't think that was first and foremost on their minds at the time. Funny thing is, if they had challenged it, the Indy trolls would be whining. I think the general consensus is by all of the commentators is that it was a catch, and wasn't a penalty. The Colts have benefited from officiating for years and that is undisputed.
    Posted by 4Adam13[/QUOTE]

Ah - so now you are making excuses for Philly.  And - you are making claims about things you know nothing about. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Austin Collie Hit : Ah - so now you are making excuses for Philly.  And - you are making claims about things you know nothing about. 

how you figure Troll...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfwood. Show wolfwood's posts

In Response to Austin Collie Hit:
    [QUOTE]Anyone see that? Thoughts? It was called an incomplete pass and a personal foul against a defenseless receiver. Of course I'm biased against the Colts, but thats one of the worst calls I've ever seen in the NFL. I hope the guy is ok. But what a BAD BAD BAD Peyton Manning call. I understand the need to protect players, but there was not a thing wrong with that hit. The NFL is turing into a joke with these calls.
    Posted by 4Adam13[/QUOTE]

that play is going to be debated in many circles this week, imo it was a bad call  he  made 2 steps and was protecting the ball   and was hit into the other guy it should have been catch then fumble

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Austin Collie Hit : As for the play itself, it could have been challenged and the Eagles staff had plenty of opps to watch the replay.

Actually, once the whistle blows, negating the fumble recovery and stopping the play, you can't challenge possession on that call. Frankly, I think the play was whistled because the officials thought Collie might be dead, and at that point the ball had to be called incomplete. You're probably right about it looking different in slow motion, but Collie took two steps with the ball -- which also should have removed the "defenseless receiver" component of the unnecessary roughness equation. Had the whistle not blown, and the play continued to its actual conclusion, I believe that call would have been overturned.

But even then, you've got the bogus unnecessary roughness penalty to factor in.

Short answer: Horribly blown call.

Go figure.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Austin Collie Hit : that play is going to be debated in many circles this week, imo it was a bad call  he  made 2 steps and was protecting the ball   and was hit into the other guy it should have been catch then fumble
    Posted by wolfwood[/QUOTE]

They have been calling it that for the colts for a few seasons now. I have seen more than a few completions that were fumbled turned into incompletes by the refs when the colts happen to be the ones who have lost the ball.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Austin Collie Hit : Actually, once the whistle blows, negating the fumble recovery and stopping the play, you can't challenge possession on that call. Frankly, I think the play was whistled because the officials thought Collie might be dead, and at that point the ball had to be called incomplete. You're probably right about it looking different in slow motion, but Collie took two steps with the ball -- which also should have removed the "defenseless receiver" component of the unnecessary roughness equation. Had the whistle not blown, and the play continued to its actual conclusion, I believe that call would have been overturned. But even then, you've got the bogus unnecessary roughness penalty to factor in. Short answer: Horribly blown call. Go figure.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]
    I think its pretty easy for us at home to speculate.  I am sure there are plenty who win jeopardy from our easy chairs.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Austin Collie Hit : I think its pretty easy for us at home to speculate.  I am sure there are plenty who win jeopardy from our easy chairs.

Alex Trebek is my b*tch.

Cool

Sections
Shortcuts