awful

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from robertebishop. Show robertebishop's posts

awful

watch nfl network - why, why, why, are two of the colts high lights questionable pass interference calls.....  it never ends

as much as i love the pats, stuff like this, and the bs helmet to helmet calls, are really starting to turn me away from this sport - sickening.....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from buttgrundle. Show buttgrundle's posts

Re: awful

Because the refs make up 40% of Indy's offense most weeks.  Gotta give them their proper highlight reel do.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

This is exactly why you don't want to face the Colts in the playoffs.

Manning is the league's "face," and the farther his team goes, the better the networks like it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from robertebishop. Show robertebishop's posts

In Response to Re: awful:
    This is exactly why you don't want to face the Colts in the playoffs. Manning is the league's "face," and the farther his team goes, the better the networks like it.
    Posted by p-mike

agreed.  i am trying to be objective here, but i don't know how many times i have tuned into a colts game, only to see the colts get multiple huge plays because the defensive back was within breathing distance of the receiver.......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from robertebishop. Show robertebishop's posts

Are you kidding me?  Really?  I am actually starting to believe that you guys think the colts should never ever get a call.  Last week the Jags got 5 downs to get a first down and ultimately that 5th down got the job done which resulted in points.  No flag seen anywhere.  This week on both of the Raiders PI calls, the Raiders were holding down the arms of the receiver impeding their progress.  If this happened to a Patriot receiver, you guys would be howling about how the NFL hates the pats (correction: you do that anyway).  They were clearly PI, unless you are pats fans who think any call the colts get is wrong or if it had occurred against the pats d. 
    Posted by UD6

I really want to be objective - not looking for ghosts, but is there a way to get the stats?  I gotta think the colts have more pass interference calls in their favor than any other team in the league

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"If this happened to a Patriot receiver, you guys would be howling about how the NFL hates the pats"...

Actually I have a different issue - i don't think PI should be more than a ten or fifteen yard penalty. The Pats have exploited the PI calls as much as most teams, but no one chucks the ball downfield in search of those calls as much as the Colts. Give them credit, it's within the rules to do so. I care less about whether the calls are right or wrong, and more about how I hate to see games won by such cheap penalties. And no, I don't even enjoy it when the Pats get a long PI call go their way. If I were you, I'd want my team to win with honor, not with a cheap penalty that is no way worth 30-50 yards. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

" If this happened to a Patriot receiver, you guys would be howling about how the NFL hates the pats"... Actually I have a different issue - i don't think PI should be more than a ten or fifteen yard penalty. The Pats have exploited the PI calls as much as most teams, but no one chucks the ball downfield in search of those calls as much as the Colts. Give them credit, it's within the rules to do so. I care less about whether the calls are right or wrong, and more about how I hate to see games won by such cheap penalties. And no, I don't even enjoy it when the Pats get a long PI call go their way. If I were you, I'd want my team to win with honor, not with a cheap penalty that is no way worth 30-50 yards. 
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker

I'm glad you feel the same way as I do: Flo from those God-awful Progressive commercials is SUPER ANNOYING.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Are you kidding me?  Really?  I am actually starting to believe that you guys think the colts should never ever get a call.  Last week the Jags got 5 downs to get a first down and ultimately that 5th down got the job done which resulted in points.  No flag seen anywhere, and not a peep out of pats fans - of course. This week on both of the Raiders PI calls, the Raiders were holding down an arm of the receiver impeding his progress - classic PI.  If this happened to a Patriot receiver without a corresponding call, you guys would be howling about how the NFL hates the pats (correction: you do that anyway).  The calls were clearly PI, unless you are pats fans who think any call the colts get is wrong or if it had occurred against the pats d. 
    Posted by UD6

Dogggturd:  I new once the Dolts won a few games, you'd be back.  But, I can tip my cap to the team that wins that weak division - so here's to the Dolts.  Didn't see the game, so I don't know if the PI calls were "cheapies" or not, but at the end of the day, I really don't care.  Any team that doesn't plan on the Dolts getting a cheapie PI call or two throughout the game, just isn't game planning properly.  I think Addai coming back will be a bigger factor than PI calls, as he adds a rushing element sorely missing since he went out.  Hope to see you guys at the Razor in January.  And against our young D - instead of one or two, you should expect three or four iffy PI calls - no matter though, I still think we'll put it to the Dolts, PI calls or not.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Are you kidding me?  Really?  I am actually starting to believe that you guys think the colts should never ever get a call.  Last week the Jags got 5 downs to get a first down and ultimately that 5th down got the job done which resulted in points.  No flag seen anywhere, and not a peep out of pats fans - of course. This week on both of the Raiders PI calls, the Raiders were holding down an arm of the receiver impeding his progress - classic PI.  If this happened to a Patriot receiver without a corresponding call, you guys would be howling about how the NFL hates the pats (correction: you do that anyway).  The calls were clearly PI, unless you are pats fans who think any call the colts get is wrong or if it had occurred against the pats d. 

Posted by UD6

YOU MEAN LIKE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You argued for a whole day that this was not PI. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Oh boy . . .

Strap yourselves in.

I feel a spin cycle coming on.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

" If this happened to a Patriot receiver, you guys would be howling about how the NFL hates the pats"... Actually I have a different issue - i don't think PI should be more than a ten or fifteen yard penalty. The Pats have exploited the PI calls as much as most teams, but no one chucks the ball downfield in search of those calls as much as the Colts. Give them credit, it's within the rules to do so. I care less about whether the calls are right or wrong, and more about how I hate to see games won by such cheap penalties. And no, I don't even enjoy it when the Pats get a long PI call go their way. If I were you, I'd want my team to win with honor, not with a cheap penalty that is no way worth 30-50 yards. 
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker

Of course, when your receiver would have otherwise been open but for interference on the defense, you'd say where's the call. 

I love the honor comment coming from a pats fan who defends the "honorable" (snort) Bill Belichick.  Is there a less honorable coach in the league?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: awful : Dogggturd:  I new once the Dolts won a few games, you'd be back.  But, I can tip my cap to the team that wins that weak division - so here's to the Dolts.  Didn't see the game, so I don't know if the PI calls were "cheapies" or not, but at the end of the day, I really don't care.  Any team that doesn't plan on the Dolts getting a cheapie PI call or two throughout the game, just isn't game planning properly.  I think Addai coming back will be a bigger factor than PI calls, as he adds a rushing element sorely missing since he went out.  Hope to see you guys at the Razor in January.  And against our young D - instead of one or two, you should expect three or four iffy PI calls - no matter though, I still think we'll put it to the Dolts, PI calls or not.
    Posted by gr82bme

never left.  Was here through the losses as well.  check the threads.  You'll see.  Addai being back will help.  Picking up Rhodes will also help. 

Did you know that in the colts game vs. the pats earlier this year, they had 6 penalties called against them while the pats only had one.  How come that does not fit into your theory?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

In Response to Re: awful : Of course, when your receiver would have otherwise been open but for interference on the defense, you'd say where's the call.  I love the honor comment coming from a pats fan who defends the "honorable" (snort) Bill Belichick.  Is there a less honorable coach in the league?
    Posted by UD6

Hey UD - I know I am not the biggest college football fan - maybe you are - but in the games I do watch I don't see a rash of plays where defenders wipe out receivers so they can't catch the ball - wouldn't the definition of "wide open" be that a defender isn't in a position to make a play on a receiver about to catch a ball?

In basketball, you see plays in every game where shooters are deliberately fouled to prevent an easy bucket - instead of getting an automatic score they have to shoot free throws - if they don't make them then that is on them

I very much like the idea of the 15 yd ( automatic 1st down if 15 isn't enough to get the first down) penalty - what is your opinion?

And please, I am not interested in hearing another anti BB rant from you - I get it, you don't like him

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

In Response to Re: awful : Of course, when your receiver would have otherwise been open but for interference on the defense, you'd say where's the call.  I love the honor comment coming from a pats fan who defends the "honorable" (snort) Bill Belichick.  Is there a less honorable coach in the league?
    Posted by UD6

Well, fat Rexy's had a difficult past few weeks in the honor department.  But your typical shot at BB is duly noted and quite frankly - expected.  You know dogggturd, I would think that you'd be on the Indy boards with your fellow Colts fans poo-pooing over your team's victory.  You're the only guy I know who is not a Pats fan that comes on this board right after your own team wins.  What's up with that?  So tell me, why are you here?  Indy boards close at 8 o'clock or something?  I know Indy is hicksville personified, but jeez, I'd think you'd want some fellowship with your fellow fans.  Maybe, just maybe, you're a converted, but closeted Pats fan.  Ah, now your constant presence is starting to make a little more sense.  Come on dogg - say it with me - GO PATS!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: awful : YOU MEAN LIKE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     You argued for a whole day that this was not PI. 
    Posted by ohyes

LOL - love that picture.  Had fun with it recently.  Lets say a ball travels 40 miles per hour.  That's 58 ft per second.  Your picture shows a ball about a foot away.  It will reach the receiver in about 2/100 of a second yet you expect a ref to call this.  The timing was perfect. 

Further, as you can see, the defenders hand is open to the ball to bat it down (no hand on the receivers arm).  He is playing the ball.  This play will never be called in the NFL unless a defender is hooking the receiver as well or has pushed "through his back".  The picture clearly shows the colts defender has done neither.  Text book defense in that situation.  Love when pats fans beg for calls in one sentence and then suggest the league is too tight on the rules in another.  Perfect homer hypocrisy.  

Finally, the play you have pictured is nothing like the colts PI today.  In the colts PI, the players were running free, with good coverage, frankly, but instead of just putting an arm out to impeded the receiver, as we frequently see uncalled, the defender actually grabbed the arm of the receiver in stride, if a ref sees that, he'll call it every time.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

In Response to Re: awful : never left.  Was here through the losses as well.  check the threads.  You'll see.  Addai being back will help.  Picking up Rhodes will also help.  Did you know that in the colts game vs. the pats earlier this year, they had 6 penalties called against them while the pats only had one.  How come that does not fit into your theory?
    Posted by UD6

Has nothing to do with "not" fitting into my theory.  For all you know, BB and the team "planned" for the pseudo-PI calls, but for once in a blue moon - they weren't called.  Kind of like planning for an emergency - if it comes, you're good.  If not, you're glad you had a plan you didn't need to execute.  Silly dogg, is logic a lost art in Indy?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: awful : Hey UD - I know I am not the biggest college football fan - maybe you are - but in the games I do watch I don't see a rash of plays where defenders wipe out receivers so they can't catch the ball - wouldn't the definition of "wide open" be that a defender isn't in a position to make a play on a receiver about to catch a ball? In basketball, you see plays in every game where shooters are deliberately fouled to prevent an easy bucket - instead of getting an automatic score they have to shoot free throws - if they don't make them then that is on them I very much like the idea of the 15 yd ( automatic 1st down if 15 isn't enough to get the first down) penalty - what is your opinion? And please, I am not interested in hearing another anti BB rant from you - I get it, you don't like him
    Posted by qball369

Q - first the BB thing.  It would have never come up if the poster hadn't implied that the colts did not win honorably. 

I don't disagree with you about PI, except for this.  In football there is no such thing as a free throw.  Further, a team that has a TD lead with time winding down could commit PI in a way to ensure the game is not lost.  I've always hated the idea of a team who is up 2 with a few seconds left fouling the worst free throw shooter on the team to make sure the great three point shooter doesn't have a chance to have the ball.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Oh boy . . . Strap yourselves in. I feel a spin cycle coming on.
    Posted by p-mike

Ohhhhhhhhhh Boy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: awful : Well, fat Rexy's had a difficult past few weeks in the honor department.  But your typical shot at BB is duly noted and quite frankly - expected.  You know dogggturd, I would think that you'd be on the Indy boards with your fellow Colts fans poo-pooing over your team's victory.  You're the only guy I know who is not a Pats fan that comes on this board right after your own team wins.  What's up with that?  So tell me, why are you here?  Indy boards close at 8 o'clock or something?  I know Indy is hicksville personified, but jeez, I'd think you'd want some fellowship with your fellow fans.  Maybe, just maybe, you're a converted, but closeted Pats fan.  Ah, now your constant presence is starting to make a little more sense.  Come on dogg - say it with me - GO PATS!
    Posted by gr82bme

That depends on if you really care about his personal life.  I was talking professional life only, but if you care to dig into Belichick's personal life, you might find some dishonor of his own there as well, and it worse than Rex. 

Finally, I thought this thread was about the colts. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from robertebishop. Show robertebishop's posts

In Response to Re: awful : LOL - love that picture.  Had fun with it recently.  Lets say a ball travels 40 miles per hour.  That's 58 ft per second.  Your picture shows a ball about a foot away.  It will reach the receiver in about 2/100 of a second yet you expect a ref to call this.  The timing was perfect.  Further, as you can see, the defenders hand is open to the ball to bat it down (no hand on the receivers arm).  He is playing the ball.  This play will never be called in the NFL unless a defender is hooking the receiver as well or has pushed "through his back".  The picture clearly shows the colts defender has done neither.  Text book defense in that situation.  Love when pats fans beg for calls in one sentence and then suggest the league is too tight on the rules in another.  Perfect homer hypocrisy.   Finally, the play you have pictured is nothing like the colts PI today.  In the colts PI, the players were running free, with good coverage, frankly, but instead of just putting an arm out to impeded the receiver, as we frequently see uncalled, the defender actually grabbed the arm of the receiver in stride, if a ref sees that, he'll call it every time.  
    Posted by UD6

please pass the crack pipe - where do you see an open hand?  And the defender's arm is on branch and the ball is at least a yard away.

rationalize it all you want, but the picture shows a text book PI that wasn't called. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

In Response to Re: awful : Q - first the BB thing.  It would have never come up if the poster hadn't implied that the colts did not win honorably.  I don't disagree with you about PI, except for this.  In football there is no such thing as a free throw.  Further, a team that has a TD lead with time winding down could commit PI in a way to ensure the game is not lost.  I've always hated the idea of a team who is up 2 with a few seconds left fouling the worst free throw shooter on the team to make sure the great three point shooter doesn't have a chance to have the ball.
    Posted by UD6

I guess all seemingly equitable, well meaning rules can be perverted by savvy players - hey, every one knows the NFL PI rules - and Peyton Manning has mastered the art of the deep underthrow that generates most of those PI calls - defender trailing a step runs into a receiver who has stopped to catch the underthrown ball - whether that pass could ever be completed is irrelevant to Manning and Company - because they get all the yardage on the play anyway - in fact, it is to Manning's advantage that the ball can not be caught by receiver, because it is ALSO likely that the defender can't catch it either  - when he is too busy running over the receiver who has stopped dead - legal yes, sporting, not really

I fail to see how this is any different than the deliberate basketball foul - I'd like to see Indy drive the ball down the field legitimately with receivers catching passes instead of drawing penalties

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from robertebishop. Show robertebishop's posts

In Response to Re: awful : LOL - love that picture.  Had fun with it recently.  Lets say a ball travels 40 miles per hour.  That's 58 ft per second.  Your picture shows a ball about a foot away.  It will reach the receiver in about 2/100 of a second yet you expect a ref to call this.  The timing was perfect.  Further, as you can see, the defenders hand is open to the ball to bat it down (no hand on the receivers arm).  He is playing the ball.  This play will never be called in the NFL unless a defender is hooking the receiver as well or has pushed "through his back".  The picture clearly shows the colts defender has done neither.  Text book defense in that situation.  Love when pats fans beg for calls in one sentence and then suggest the league is too tight on the rules in another.  Perfect homer hypocrisy.   Finally, the play you have pictured is nothing like the colts PI today.  In the colts PI, the players were running free, with good coverage, frankly, but instead of just putting an arm out to impeded the receiver, as we frequently see uncalled, the defender actually grabbed the arm of the receiver in stride, if a ref sees that, he'll call it every time.  
    Posted by UD6

the ball is at least 1 manning forehead away, which is at least 1.5 yards......

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Posted by UD6

THat's funny because you said the opposite about incidental contact when it was Eric Weddle keeping his hand on Reggie Wayne's hip to help him shadow the receiver.  By the way, ERIC WEDDLE HAD BLANKET COVERAGE AND REGGIE WAYNE'S REFUSAL TO COMPETE FOR THE BALL ONLY FURTHER HIGHLIGHTS THE IDEA THAT WAYNE HAD NO CHANCE OF ACTUALLY GETTING TO IT BECAUSE IT WAS UNDERTHROWN ANYWAYS.

In the same manner, you could say that Branch failed to get enough separation to make that catch without the defensive back's arm hitting his arms down incidentally(?).  If a flag had been thrown, yardage and a first down would have been granted subjectively.  Because a flag was not thrown, two players got to compete for the football and the Colts' good position and quick break won out, even if there was contact.

As a matter of principle, pass interference should be minimal and only in the most flagrant cases.  Then receivers will be more inclined to compete for the ball and football will be a contact sport in the secondary again instead of contact in the box and passing skele in the secondary until the catch is made.

And you don't think it's a coincidence that the Colts get so many more pass interference calls than any other team in the league?  At one point, the Patriots featured two of the top-2 receivers in the league in Randy Moss and Wes Welker.  You know how many offensive pass interference penalties they got?  ONE - a blatant jersey-grab by a beaten Buffalo Bills defender in a game that the Patriots would have won anyways.  Few if any illegal contact penalties, either despite how tough it is to stop Moss or Welker without bumping them.  Strange how two of the best receivers in the league managed to get exactly ONE pass interference penalty thrown in their favor despite how difficult it is to cover them.

One of the only pass interference calls that I remember was a terrible makeup call thrown against the Panthers last season on an LB covering (Watson?) where the defender barely made enough contact to even justify throwing a flag at all.  Another one was another terrible makeup call at a home game I attended earlier this year (I think it was following a Gronkowski offensive pass interference penalty) where similarly minimal contact was made and I wondered to myself whether it was odd.

Look, I'll be the first to say that the Patriots get a lot of liberty when it comes to blocking for Brady, which is part of why he gets so much time to sit in the pocket (in addition to good coaching to help hide the blatant appearance of holding and smart coaching to help maximize the talent of the blockers against the opponents' best pass rushers). 

But for you to act like the Colts aren't getting more generosity in terms of pass interference is goofy.  Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, and a host of other receivers far superior to the likes of Tamme, Blair White, Garcon, and Collie, all fail to regularly draw calls despite being infinitely more difficult to cover.  Yet somehow receivers other than the well-deserving Pro-Bowler Reggie Wayne somehowmanage to draw calls with uncanny regularity at times when a failed drive would probably put the game out of the Colts' reach.  Hmmm..... You argued earlier this year that Garcon and Collie weren't much better than Gaffney and Caldwell when arguing that Manning's performance this year was comparable to Brady in 2006 - well, how are they drawing PI penalties if they aren't that good of athletes and route runners?  And how are they getting more calls than Andre Johnson and Calvin Johnson?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

In Response to Re: awful : That depends on if you really care about his personal life.  I was talking professional life only, but if you care to dig into Belichick's personal life, you might find some dishonor of his own there as well, and it worse than Rex.  Finally, I thought this thread was about the colts. 
    Posted by UD6

You sanctimonious clown - you are the one who introduced Belichicks honor into this discussion - now you are going to act like you didn't?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

In Response to Re: awful : That depends on if you really care about his personal life.  I was talking professional life only, but if you care to dig into Belichick's personal life, you might find some dishonor of his own there as well, and it worse than Rex.  Finally, I thought this thread was about the colts. 
    Posted by UD6

I was talking about his professional life - he's lost two games in three weeks his team, if they were no-kiddin' contenders, should have won.  I could give a fig about what he and another consenting adult do in their personal lives.  Of course, Belichick never put his personal life out there on Youtube - but hey, whatever floats Rexy's boat is no business of mine.  With respect to this thread being about the colts, you have a point, however I don't think I need to remind you that it's a Pats board where fans can comment on anything they like.  I mean, you certainly have no problem coming aboard when the feeling moves you.  And the dig on Belichick's "dishonor" as it pertains to his personal life makes no sense at all - what's he done to "dishonor" himself or his organization?  Oh yeah, the dumb SOB had the audacity to win three Super Bowls - my goodness, we ought to take him out behind the shed and put a cap in his sorry behind - please dogggturd, if you must loiter around here, do try to stay on point. 

Sections
Shortcuts