Ayers as ILB/4-3 DE?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Ayers as ILB/4-3 DE?

If Robert Ayers is at 23 when we pick, could he play ILB next to former teammate Mayo on the first 2 downs, and switch to DE in 4-3 schemes?

He's a big, exceptional run stopper, like a Jasper Brinkley, but can excel at DE as well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Re: Ayers as ILB/4-3 DE?

Hey. Perhaps. I'd probably want them to draft Clay Matthews then to go with him. They have similar versatility in terms of position, but different strengths.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

I like Ayers as an OLB, don't care much for Matthews

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Ayers is stock is falling in most mocks, I see him been there at 23 but I think some team is going to call the Pats to try to get back into the 1st and the Pats will trade for 2009 2nd and 2010 1st.

They will then pick 3 out of 4 in the 2nd trade one of those and pick at 89 and 97 then trade from all other when they have a change.  This gives the 5 good players through 3 rounds and they can do what they want from there.  Bring backups, guys for practice squad ect.  We are in such a good place going into this draft that's not even fair to everyother team. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Mike Mayock on NFL Network loves Ayers.  Interesting thought about ILB, how about similar move for Paul Kruger from Utah?  DE that played in space a lot at Utah, even lined up in at ILB in some sets.  Another 6'5" 260 guy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from No1BadGuy. Show No1BadGuy's posts

I love Matthews in the 2nd round and Mayock loves him in nickle situations because of his hips and change of direction speed and he played safety in hs

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

He would be a much better fit at OLB then ILB.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

It will be interesting to see if the Patriots will trade up for him

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

Ayers has played ILB on occasion, and has done pretty well. He's good in zone coverage, though may struggle a bit man to man, and he's a beast tacking on OL in the run game. I could see him as an excellent SILB next to Mayo, his former teammate, and I think he's at least as good as Jarvis Green as a 43 end on passing downs. Two for the price of one, maybe?

Still, I'd rather wait till next year and draft Brandon Spikes, though I doubt that will happen.

Sections
Shortcuts