Babe, List your top 10 gm's of all time

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

Babe, List your top 10 gm's of all time

Simple question, with an easy answer.

List who you feel personally are the top 10 GM's of ALL time.

EVER

name the top 10.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Babe, List your top 10 gm's of all time

In Response to Babe, List your top 10 gm's of all time:
    [QUOTE]Simple question, with an easy answer. List who you feel personally are the top 10 GM's of ALL time. EVER name the top 10.
    Posted by ChasaB[/QUOTE]

There is no point to this.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

Can someone quote his list?

Did he make a list or just give a typical non answer?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

Hey Chasa,

Babe retired from the board in case you missed it.
    Truthfully I didn't bother reading the 100 goodbye posts because the thread topic said it all and I tend to be a bit emotional so all those farewell wishes kinda choke me up.

Was a sad day because his insights into the great GM's in NFL history would have been no doubt enlightening.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

LOL!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I asked Babe to post any or all of his draft picks this year because, seemingly, it's so easy... he won't, just like he won't answer this or any other simple questions. 

He avoids actual responses of posters and instead relies on insults when overwhelmed with simple logic.  He is the king of deflection and evasion.

He'll never back himself into a corner willingly, he has to be pushed there with an endless barrage of posts on his antagonistic threads at which point he disappears only to reappear later. 

He is the king of circular logic and of saying a lot without actually committing himself too deeply to anything he can't squirm his way out of other than his obvious hatred of the Patriots. His favortie line is "I didn't say that."

Thus the troll label...  I find it telling that when I suggested he was Dudder, another long time troll from the Celtics board with the same schtick, he decided that was the time to retire. 

Confirmation, yep.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Babe, List your top 10 gm's of all time:
    [QUOTE]I asked Babe to post any or all of his draft picks this year because, seemingly, it's so easy... he won't, just like he won't answer this or any other simple questions.  He avoids actual responses of posters and instead relies on insults when overwhelmed with simple logic.  He is the king of deflection and evasion. He'll never back himself into a corner willingly, he has to be pushed there with an endless barrage of posts on his antagonistic threads at which point he disappears only to reappear later.  He is the king of circular logic and of saying a lot without actually committing himself too deeply to anything he can't squirm his way out of other than his obvious hatred of the Patriots. His favortie line is "I didn't say that." Thus the troll label...  I find it telling that when I suggested he was Dudder, another long time troll from the Celtics board with the same schtick, he decided that was the time to retire.  Confirmation, yep.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

I was giving you the benefit of the great doubt that you could post and take the high road. Obviously that was too hard for a moron like you to handle. Fine with me, you had your chance to proceed without insults and not fear those in return from me. History.

I said last draft who I would have taken. Go back and find it numbnuts.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

Babe, the Sarah palin of the Boston.com/patriots forum.

BB is a terrible GM because russia is visibile from alaska, and tom brady can put lipstick on pigs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrcahill. Show jrcahill's posts

Babe stated on the other thread that there are no great GMs during the salary cap era. He also identified factors that make a great GM.  He also stated something about bell curves not having extremes but you have to have extremes to establish a bell curve!?  For instance, exams are graded on bell curves, if done in a standard fashion there have to be As, Bs, Cs, Ds, and Fs.

It seems as though the discussion about whether or not BB is a great GM needs to end because in Babe's mind there aren't any. I don't have an issue with his stance but it doesn't seem fair that Babe just gets to sit back and pick apart any argument one makes in favor of BB being a great GM.  Everyone seems to have their own guidelines which is fine, but don't sit and say someone else's guidelines are incorrect when the entire thread is subjective.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]Babe, the Sarah palin of the Boston.com/patriots forum. BB is a terrible GM because russia is visibile from alaska, and tom brady can put lipstick on pigs.
    Posted by ChasaB[/QUOTE]

For the 10,000th time. I never said BB was a terrible GM.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Babe, List your top 10 gm's of all time :  Obviously that was too hard for a moron like you to handle. Fine with me, you had your chance to proceed without insults and not fear those in return from me. History. I said last draft who I would have taken. Go back and find it numbnuts.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

burp

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]Babe stated on the other thread that there are no great GMs during the salary cap era. He also identified factors that make a great GM.  He also stated something about bell curves not having extremes but you have to have extremes to establish a bell curve!?  For instance, exams are graded on bell curves, if done in a standard fashion there have to be As, Bs, Cs, Ds, and Fs. It seems as though the discussion about whether or not BB is a great GM needs to end because in Babe's mind there aren't any. I don't have an issue with his stance but it doesn't seem fair that Babe just gets to sit back and pick apart any argument one makes in favor of BB being a great GM.  Everyone seems to have their own guidelines which is fine, but don't sit and say someone else's guidelines are incorrect when the entire thread is subjective.
    Posted by jrcahill[/QUOTE]

Of course it's subjective. Though there is evidence through reason to support a conclusion. When I said it was subjective I was admonished for that.

A bell curve shows most of a sample are lumped in the middle, not being either exceptionally present at one end of the curve or the other. As an example, human IQ is a bell curve. The large majority of persons intelligence falls relatively close to the center with more infrequent deviation at either end. That would also apply to height for instance. I believe GMing in the NFL is much like that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Babe, List your top 10 gm's of all time : burp
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

One of the brighter utterances from you in your sordid history of inanity here.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

[QUOTE]Babe stated on the other thread that there are no great GMs during the salary cap era. He also identified factors that make a great GM.  He also stated something about bell curves not having extremes but you have to have extremes to establish a bell curve!?  For instance, exams are graded on bell curves, if done in a standard fashion there have to be As, Bs, Cs, Ds, and Fs. It seems as though the discussion about whether or not BB is a great GM needs to end because in Babe's mind there aren't any. I don't have an issue with his stance but it doesn't seem fair that Babe just gets to sit back and pick apart any argument one makes in favor of BB being a great GM.  Everyone seems to have their own guidelines which is fine, but don't sit and say someone else's guidelines are incorrect when the entire thread is subjective.
    Posted by jrcahill[/QUOTE]

im not asking for babe to list 10 great gm's

I'm asking babe to list his top 10 gm's of all time.

it should be pretty simple to rail off 10 gm's he thinks did the best job.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Way to stay on topic...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Babe, List your top 10 gm's of all time : im not asking for babe to list 10 great gm's I'm asking babe to list his top 10 gm's of all time. it should be pretty simple to rail off 10 gm's he thinks did the best job.
    Posted by ChasaB[/QUOTE]

What would be the point. Then all the BB kool-aiders will just argue endleslly about each name on the list.

It's obvious he isn't great because if you take away his HC and QB, put them on several other teams, then his GM results become their GM results and their become his.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]Way to stay on topic...
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

You changed the topic.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Babe, List your top 10 gm's of all time : What would be the point. Then all the BB kool-aiders will just argue endleslly about each name on the list.

At least there would be something of substance to argue about.  So far you have made a claim (BB is average) and not responded to the most obvious counterargument (who is obviously better) since at the end of the day "GM ability" is a relative scale.

[QUOTE] It's obvious he isn't great because if you take away his HC and QB, put them on several other teams, then his GM results become their GM results and their become his. Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

This isn't an argument.  Pure conjecture.  Even if I were to ignore that issue what "successful" GM hasn't benefitted from quality QB play and coaching?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Way to evade... if BB is average at GM then who is better?

Give me a surefire pro bowler or even solid starter in this year's draft who isn't in Kiper's top three at each position... that's where Belichick picks every year because he wins... remember?

You won't because you're great at sitting in judgment but you'd never allow yourself to get pinned down on anything.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

im a koolaid drinker and i can say the steelers and the giants have had better GM work since 2007.

Numbers back that up.

Green bay is a close 4th.

See!? simple

i just gave you my top 4 current GM/systems

wasn't hard by any stretch of the imagination.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]im a koolaid drinker and i can say the steelers and the giants have had better GM work since 2007. Numbers back that up. Green bay is a close 4th. See!? simple i just gave you my top 4 current GM/systems wasn't hard by any stretch of the imagination.
    Posted by ChasaB[/QUOTE]

I've already said numerous time the GMs of teams that have won SBs since the Pats last did, but that wasn't good enough for the minions.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]Way to evade... if BB is average at GM then who is better? Give me a surefire pro bowler or even solid starter in this year's draft who isn't in Kiper's top three at each position... that's where Belichick picks every year because he wins... remember? You won't because you're great at sitting in judgment but you'd never allow yourself to get pinned down on anything.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

I never claimed I was a great GM. So who I would pick is moot to the discussion.

After the last draft I said I would have put together a package and traded up for Quinn (#17 + #33) and taken Carimi at #28.

Quinn had 5 sacks in 14 games, 1 start,  as a rookie and Carimi got hurt after starting 2 games.

I'll put that up against Solder and Dowling, though we don't know what that traded for pick will bring yet.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

This GM thing is really a funny puzzler...I'll give it a go (for the record I think BB is good...not very good or great).

Scot McCloughan has done a notable job in San FRan before Trent Baalke. THey have a pretty darn good core of players, despite not having the luxury of a great QB.

Emanual SAnders and Marcus Gilbert are some of the best of the business in picking players in Pittsburgh.

Reese in NY is good (they certainly know how to build a defense)

THe Saints hven't done too bad building that team.

Of course Ozzie Newsome is highly regarded (although he has struck out at the QB position in the past and might not be out of the wooods with the guy they have).

Smith has done more than a solid job in Houston (then again they have chosen high in years past), but man have they hit it big on many players.

Ted Thompson has done as well as anyone in the draft over the last 5 years in Green Bay.

Martin Mayhew has built the Lions into something (again with high selections).

THe Broncos have yielded 8 starters out of their last two drafts. In the past two years they have managed to add a big time pass rusher and freak of nature wide receiver as well.

THomas Dimitroff has some serious stones to do some of the moves he's done lately and they've worked out for them.

Bill Belichick has managed to snare two all world tight ends two years ago, a kicker, a punter, a bunch of secondary busts, a future all pro offensive lineman, and some serious question marks at linebacker and defensive line (Cunningham and Brace).

I think the major thing that separates all these guys and all these teams - is that none of them but us has a coach like Bill Belichick (in fact despite a good job by all these teams some of them have fired their coaches) and none of them have a QB like Brady.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Babe, List your top 10 gm's of all time : I've already said numerous time the GMs of teams that have won SBs since the Pats last did, but that wasn't good enough for the minions.

Yeah, and again way to go out on a limb.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]This GM thing is really a funny puzzler...I'll give it a go (for the record I think BB is good...not very good or great). Scot McCloughan has done a notable job in San FRan before Trent Baalke. THey have a pretty darn good core of players, despite not having the luxury of a great QB. Emanual SAnders and Marcus Gilbert are some of the best of the business in picking players in Pittsburgh. Reese in NY is good (they certainly know how to build a defense) THe Saints hven't done too bad building that team. Of course Ozzie Newsome is highly regarded (although he has struck out at the QB position in the past and might not be out of the wooods with the guy they have). Smith has done more than a solid job in Houston (then again they have chosen high in years past), but man have they hit it big on many players. Ted Thompson has done as well as anyone in the draft over the last 5 years in Green Bay. Martin Mayhew has built the Lions into something (again with high selections). THe Broncos have yielded 8 starters out of their last two drafts. In the past two years they have managed to add a big time pass rusher and freak of nature wide receiver as well. THomas Dimitroff has some serious stones to do some of the moves he's done lately and they've worked out for them. Bill Belichick has managed to snare two all world tight ends two years ago, a kicker, a punter, a bunch of secondary busts, a future all pro offensive lineman, and some serious question marks at linebacker and defensive line (Cunningham and Brace). I think the major thing that separates all these guys and all these teams - is that none of them but us has a coach like Bill Belichick (in fact despite a good job by all these teams some of them have fired their coaches) and none of them have a QB like Brady.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

What is funny about that list of GM's is that all have had losing seasons in the past 5-6 years. I believe the Saints only had an 8-8 record to stand apart. Bill Belichick has not.

I guess we would have to decide the criteria for a "great" GM. Is it only a GM that has won a SB recently(as Babe seems to think) or is it a GM that consistently puts a team on the field to compete for a championship?

Only Bill Belichick has done that year after year. No matter how many injuries, no matter who his QB was, no matter how many rule changes. Bill Belichick has won more games as a GM for the past decade then any GM in the history of this league. Hard to argue with that.