Back of the roster decisions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Back of the roster decisions

Impressive; Fleming, Halapio ( he has really improved over the course of camp), Butler, Garp ( see Halapio comment), LaFell

Losing faith; KT, Kline, Devey, Cave

Lost faith; Beauharnis

On the fence; Bolden, Devlin

Keeping the faith; Boyce, Mallett

Edit: Impressed with both Flemings

Edit: spoke with an ex Cowboy scout and he says Bass is better than Chris Jones. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

Re: Back of the roster decisions

In response to rkarp's comment:

Impressive; Fleming, Halapio ( he has really improved over the course of camp), Butler, Garp ( see Halapio comment), LaFell

Lost faith; Beauharnis

I have no faith in mallet...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Fletcherbrook's comment:

Lost faith; Beauharnis

Why? How much have u seen of him?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I think after last preseason it was evident Mallet wasn't going to amount to much.  Matter of fact, I might have kept Tebow over Mallet last season.  At least Tebow can get some yards running with the ball, lol!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Due to the state of the TE situation Devlin will be on the 53 man roster. The flexibility of using him in multiples roles will get him a spot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

Lost faith; Beauharnis

Hardly any...that's what I mean. I hear good reports but I feel like he's sort of like Bigfoot. I see all these shows on tv about "finding Bigfoot" and the supposed definitive proof of its existence. I take the stance of believing it when I see it.

im not saying he won't ever be a good QB. I just have such little evidence to support having faith in him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Lost faith; Beauharnis

Edit: Impressed with both Flemings

Edit: spoke with an ex Cowboy scout and he says Bass is better than Chris Jones. 

Adding edit at bottom

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

I've been very impressed with jimmy g, and butler as have most. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

Hardly any...that's what I mean. I hear good reports but I feel like he's sort of like Bigfoot. I see all these shows on tv about "finding Bigfoot" and the supposed definitive proof of its existence. I take the stance of believing it when I see it.

im not saying he won't ever be a good QB. I just have such little evidence to support having faith in him.

This is exactly what was said of Cassel during the 2007 preseason.

I've been underwhelmed by what I've seen of Mallet as well, but I know that doesn't necessarily reflect how he would perform if he was ever actually called upon in live action.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

What are your thoughts on Arrington and Nink.  To be honest I haven't heard a thing in months on Nink, good or bad.  It's like he fell off the earth.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

What are your thoughts on Arrington and Nink.  To be honest I haven't heard a thing in months on Nink, good or bad.  It's like he fell off the earth.

I had posted earlier in camp, I see some slippage in Nink. Still productive, but I thought Buchanon would push him for more snaps. I am backing off that statement, more because of Buchanon than Nink however. 

I have been impressed with Smith, and feel he could take some snaps from Nink this season.

I like Arrington, actually quite a bit. However this season I feel he is the 5th best CB. A nice problem to have.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

You know everyone keeps saying "this is what people said about Cassel, Hoyer, whoever..."

I don't recall saying anything about Cassel except that he didn't play, that the two guys ahead of him at USC won the Heisman and he's 6'5".  He didn't play in the Pros, hardly at all in the preseason but both he and Hoyer were better on lone drives than Mallet was in four years.

Mallet didn't play much either, but he also is a colossal sized QB, you'd think in 4 years he'd have given us a single piece of film, a single great throw?  He hasn't ...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Also I'm less concerned about what Mallet hasn't done as I am with what Gyro has.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

You know everyone keeps saying "this is what people said about Cassel, Hoyer, whoever..."

I don't recall saying anything about Cassel except that he didn't play, that the two guys ahead of him at USC won the Heisman and he's 6'5".  He didn't play in the Pros, hardly at all in the preseason but both he and Hoyer were better on lone drives than Mallet was in four years.

Mallet didn't play much either, but he also is a colossal sized QB, you'd think in 4 years he'd have given us a single piece of film, a single great throw?  He hasn't ...

I have seen Mallett really impress in practice when he has Mankins, Cannon and Vollmer in front of him, and Edelman and Amendola of his wings. Guy makes all the throws, and moves well enough in the pocket. He also makes that wheel route throw to Vareen and White effortlessly. 

It's unfortunate he hasn't had the chance to show his stuff with the #1's around him

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrums. Show wonderdrums's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:

This is exactly what was said of Cassel during the 2007 preseason.

I've been underwhelmed by what I've seen of Mallet as well, but I know that doesn't necessarily reflect how he would perform if he was ever actually called upon in live action.

I agree. I don't believe Mallet would have kept a roster spot all these years if he was a complete stiff. Is he a capable starting QB? Honestly, I hope we don't find out in NE. Doing well in practice isn't the same as actual games.  If the situation ever came to where Mallet had to be the starter in NE, I'd imagine that the Pats would have to alter the offense some to maximize his strengths. Similar to what was done when Cassel stepped in or even when Brady took over for Bledsoe. The real question to me is, does the team have confidence in Mallet? They did in Brady and Cassel, but honestly I don't see any evidence of it with Mallet in the tiny sample we've had to see him play. Go Pats!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Your comment about losing faith in KT is interesting.  In mini camp everyone was in love with him.  First week of camp, it sounded like he was up and down.  Now I'm reading mostly negative reports.  He is clearly losing steam and trending in the wrong direction.  I thought he was an absolute lock to make the team a few weeks ago, now I'm not quite so sure.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Why is Develin in this mix? Not saying he's an all-pro, but I've never seen him mess up either. What's the issue there? I'd rather keep him than some stiff blocking TE.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

I was playing the music loudly for Beauharnais on draft day, but unlike the Titanic , most of my musicians are heading for the lifeboats..............I'm still whistling but facing safety.............

"Don't touch my Leatherhelmet!!"

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I was not at all impressed by what I saw of Mallett in the 'skins preseason game but then again neither were most on this board.  That said, I'm in no position to make an assessment regarding his viability as a starting caliber NFL qb.  Unless we actually see this guy taking meaningful snaps we don't really know what he is capable of doing.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Why is Develin in this mix? Not saying he's an all-pro, but I've never seen him mess up either. What's the issue there? I'd rather keep him than some stiff blocking TE.

I like Devlin. He plays hard and brings an edge. Not many Pats have that edge, but Devlin does. No issue, other than numbers

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I like Devlin. He plays hard and brings an edge. Not many Pats have that edge, but Devlin does. No issue, other than numbers

I got the impression that Devlin was in the mix for the fullback/Hback/3rd TE option.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

still too early and mostly based on practice only.  Let's see what they can do in pre-season games.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I'd be surprised if they let Develin go.  From everything I've read he's been performing well, and I think a FB is actually a useful piece to have, especially if the TEs are thin.  I think he stays.  

On WRs, I assume Amendola, Edelman, LaFell, and Dobson are locks. I think they'll keep at least one more, and as far as I can tell Thompkins has still performed the best of the rest.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

I got the impression that Devlin was in the mix for the fullback/Hback/3rd TE option.

Of course he is in the mix. He could and should be on the roster. But that roster spot looks like it is coming down between the following;

Mallett/Garop. Looks like both are locks

Boyce/KT. Seemingly both make it, although KT does not play ST at all

Connolly/Kline. 

Bolden

that last spot could come down to keeping Devlin, Kline or Bolden. We know BB likes 4-5 RB's and 8-9 OL. 

What does Devlin actually bring to the table? 

-emotion and passion. His physicality fires up the rest of the team

-ST play

-FB lead blocking

-at most Devlin might see 1-2 carries and 1-2 targets per game

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Develin's main role on offense will be to block.  He's very likely the Matt Mulligan replacement.  He won't necessarily play TE much, but he'll do what Mulligan did, only from the FB spot:  block and catch an occasional pass.  Plus he may carry for short yardage occasionally.  I can see the Pats going with just two TEs (Gronk and Hoomanawanui) and Develin. 

Sections
Shortcuts