Back of the roster decisions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

Re: Back of the roster decisions

Develin will make the roster.  He can play multiple roles.  I still believe that Slater will be in trouble.  Boden could be out.  He has not shown much in the last two years.  His contract is up at the end of this year also. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Impressive; Fleming, Halapio ( he has really improved over the course of camp), Butler, Garp ( see Halapio comment), LaFell

Losing faith; KT, Kline, Devey, Cave

Lost faith; Beauharnis

On the fence; Bolden, Devlin

Keeping the faith; Boyce, Mallett

Edit: Impressed with both Flemings

Edit: spoke with an ex Cowboy scout and he says Bass is better than Chris Jones. 

It's good to hear Lafell is making progress. The day I was there I noticed him, he kind of stands out a bit....he's got some size and it looks like he can get open.

Interesting to hear someone's take on Chris Jones, I don't know if I agree with that, but it's interesting. We do have a tendency to over value our own players seeing how we are rooting for them, but everything I heard and read about Jones said he was improving to the point of being a quality NFL starter. Which is probably more than what Bass is, not that I'd know, I never heard of the guy.

I think Thompkins is the same player he was last year...decent quickness...decent speed, but not capable of making catches in traffic.

It's good to hear Halapio has impressed, we always seem to be done a guard or center when the regular season rolls on.

As for Mallett, I'm not a fan. I don't think I've ever heard so much discussion about a guy who is a backup and won't be here next season. To me the comparisons to Cassell's situation is kind of funny because, why is Cassell being thought of as some success story? Did I miss something with that guy? He has had two good seasons in his NFL career, I believe at one point he was considered to be one of the worst starting NFL quarterbacks before getting benched. We all know Mallett can make all the throws. We have all heard that he looks good in practice. And we have all seen him NOT move the ball in four seasons of preseason play. That's the QB's job - to move the ball - doesn't matter who he is playing with or against...he's got to move the ball. And he has played with backups - I understand - but he also was going against backups many times in these four preseasons.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

As for Mallett, I'm not a fan. I don't think I've ever heard so much discussion about a guy who is a backup and won't be here next season. To me the comparisons to Cassell's situation is kind of funny because, why is Cassell being thought of as some success story? Did I miss something with that guy? He has had two good seasons in his NFL career, I believe at one point he was considered to be one of the worst starting NFL quarterbacks before getting benched. We all know Mallett can make all the throws. We have all heard that he looks good in practice. And we have all seen him NOT move the ball in four seasons of preseason play. That's the QB's job - to move the ball - doesn't matter who he is playing with or against...he's got to move the ball. And he has played with backups - I understand - but he also was going against backups many times in these four preseasons.

[/QUOTE]

Much has been written here regarding Mallett and his level of play. I find it hard one way or another to assess what Mallett is as far as an NFL QB. The only thing we have seen publically from him is a handful of exhibition games that are pretty much unscripted where he does not have a full contingent of starters at his disposal. For me it is difficult to tell exactly what he is without seeing him in meaningful situations with a full complement of weapons. Perhaps many here are correct and he stinks and brings no value but I think based on the fact he has been kept around for 3 plus years now the Pats probably feel comfortable that he could play significant snaps in an emergency situation. While he is here I hope we never have to see him play those significant snaps I much prefer to see if he is capable next year with some other team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Why? How much have u seen of him?

[object HTMLDivElement]

4 preseasons worth. I have no faith in him either.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The other thing to consider when evaluating QBs in preseason games is they aren't executing an actual game plan which they've practiced extensively the week before.  Some do much better with a practiced game plan to work from.  In fact, the cumulative snaps the starter takes in practice week after week give him a greater comfort with the plays and timing required.  Back ups don't have those advantages, especially in preseason.

Still, I don't think Mallet looks as polished as I'd hope given his time with the Pats.  Maybe he'd shine as a starter, but I have to admit I am not too impressed with what I've seen from him this year or in the past.  I am much more optimistic about Garoppolo in the limited snaps I've seen.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

The other thing to consider when evaluating QBs in preseason games is they aren't executing an actual game plan which they've practiced extensively the week before.  Some do much better with a practiced game plan to work from.  In fact, the cumulative snaps the starter takes in practice week after week give him a greater comfort with the plays and timing required.  Back ups don't have those advantages, especially in preseason.

Still, I don't think Mallet looks as polished as I'd hope given his time with the Pats.  Maybe he'd shine as a starter, but I have to admit I am not too impressed with what I've seen from him this year or in the past.  I am much more optimistic about Garoppolo in the limited snaps I've seen.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Actually I think it's the complete opposite. In the preseason I think the backups get the most reps as he has the most people to work with. During the regular season backups are regulated to helping the D practice and get limited reps but during the preseason they can get extended time with multiple units. In addition during the regular season planned out series only last a series or two before they need to be adjusted (BB has said as much). But, in the preseason they run pre planned out series time and time again (regardless if they are working or not) to get more looks at certain players and feel for how certain players handle certain plans. I'd argue the backup QB's get much more work and setup much better to display what they have during the preseason than during the regular season where they have to replicate the oppositions O for the following week more than their own O.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Agree with everyone else regarding Devlin. Right now we have no one else at TE and the WR's don't look great so we are going to need a strong running game. Having a full time FB is going to really help and that in a pinch he might take a couple TE reps (hopefully in an extremely limited role) only makes it seem to me he gets a spot, unless he really messes up this preseason.

Trust me, I'm an engineer!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

In response to msteven's comment:

Develin will make the roster.  He can play multiple roles.  I still believe that Slater will be in trouble.  Boden could be out.  He has not shown much in the last two years.  His contract is up at the end of this year also. 

Slater is a special teams captain.  He's not going anywhere.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

Actually I think it's the complete opposite. In the preseason I think the backups get the most reps as he has the most people to work with. During the regular season backups are regulated to helping the D practice and get limited reps but during the preseason they can get extended time with multiple units. In addition during the regular season planned out series only last a series or two before they need to be adjusted (BB has said as much). But, in the preseason they run pre planned out series time and time again (regardless if they are working or not) to get more looks at certain players and feel for how certain players handle certain plans. I'd argue the backup QB's get much more work and setup much better to display what they have during the preseason than during the regular season where they have to replicate the oppositions O for the following week more than their own O.

I agree they get more reps and looks in the preseason, but I think they don't get quite the same focus on particular plays they'll be running in the game. It's that focused practice around a particular set of plays that I think they lack.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

Much has been written here regarding Mallett and his level of play. I find it hard one way or another to assess what Mallett is as far as an NFL QB. The only thing we have seen publically from him is a handful of exhibition games that are pretty much unscripted where he does not have a full contingent of starters at his disposal. For me it is difficult to tell exactly what he is without seeing him in meaningful situations with a full complement of weapons. Perhaps many here are correct and he stinks and brings no value but I think based on the fact he has been kept around for 3 plus years now the Pats probably feel comfortable that he could play significant snaps in an emergency situation. While he is here I hope we never have to see him play those significant snaps I much prefer to see if he is capable next year with some other team.

Hey he may be great, who knows? He hasn't shown it, but you're right, he hasn't really played in any meaningful length of time or game. I will say the length of time he had to play - or lack of it - falls on him a bit. So many times I sat and thought...ok, now I'll get to see what he's got...then the drive ends in a minute and a half because he throws the ball in the dirt or sails it five feet over a guy's head. Either way it doesn't really matter, he won't be playing here in the future, that much is clear (in fact that is the only thing made clear on this guy in the last four years), he will be playing somewhere else next year.

Personally I think he does have all the physical skills, but I think he is lacking something. And that something is going to keep from being much.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I agree they get more reps and looks in the preseason, but I think they don't get quite the same focus on particular plays they'll be running in the game. It's that focused practice around a particular set of plays that I think they lack.  

[object HTMLDivElement]

I think in preseason is the only time they get that focus. Game 1 and 4 they build game plans specifically for the backups and even games 2 and 3 they have a game plan for each QB coming into the game. During the regular season though they game plan for the starter and the backup either replicates the opponents O for the D or has to use the starters game plan. To me the preseason is the only time the backup actually gets things planned around him and geared towards his abilities for game play. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Develin's main role on offense will be to block.  He's very likely the Matt Mulligan replacement.  He won't necessarily play TE much, but he'll do what Mulligan did, only from the FB spot:  block and catch an occasional pass.  Plus he may carry for short yardage occasionally.  I can see the Pats going with just two TEs (Gronk and Hoomanawanui) and Develin. 

yeah, I agree. that's his role on this team. and I think he fills that role very well.

my opinion however is that this role could be filled by someone like Cannon, or Kline, who would be on the roster anyways. that saves a spot from someone with a very limited role week to week (Devlin) and allows the spot to someone that might have a greater role week to week (1)KT in case of WR injury 2)Boyce as the primary KR/WR depth 3) Garop as the emerg QB)

• You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to DoNotSleepOnThePats' comment:

In response to msteven's comment:

Slater is a special teams captain.  He's not going anywhere.

yeah, I agree. the guy is the best at what he does in the NFL, and BB really puts a ton of emphasis on ST play.

where it gets dicey with Slater is that he simply does not play another position.

I thought Green could have developed into that ST star like Slater is, and maybe Butler has the capability down the road. Butler, and Green while he was here, could also help the team on defense, not only ST...

that's the 1 drawback about Slater that gives me pause 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Mallet is the #2 QB all year and should be. Experience in our complicated option route system is more important then talent (which Mallet also has). And Matt is correct everyone said the exact same thing about cassel as he looked exactly like Mallett. The point is preseason is not a good indicator of how a QB will play given real opportunity.  It isn't that I am a Mallet fan, it's just that I realize we don't have enough information on this guy to have an informed opinion on whetheror not he would be a good starter inthis league. ....and that is a good thing considering who he plays behind.

In regard to the receivers, i dont understand patsengs post on them not looking good? All i read is that Edelman, Amendola, and Lafelle look very good and Dobson just got on the field. The number 5 spot has guys like KT and Boyce with up and down practices which is what a #5 receiver does.

Devilin looks like a lock and while a good blocker I think he has that Marc Edwards type of key play ability and hope we utilize him in such a way....like when he caught that 35 yard catch and run up the sideline as he was left unguarded because face it..when was the last time the Pats threw to a FB?

[object HTMLDivElement]

• You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

I think in preseason is the only time they get that focus. Game 1 and 4 they build game plans specifically for the backups and even games 2 and 3 they have a game plan for each QB coming into the game. During the regular season though they game plan for the starter and the backup either replicates the opponents O for the D or has to use the starters game plan. To me the preseason is the only time the backup actually gets things planned around him and geared towards his abilities for game play. 

I thought they didn't do any game planning and instead just ran fairly generic plays.  I always assumed they had a series of plays they'd like to run (so it wasn't random by any means), but I didn't think they did any special preparation (other than their normal practice drills) for those plans.

If they really have the back-ups practicing specific playswith specific personnel to run in the game, then I guess this wouldn't be an issue.  I just thought everything was much more generc--that they were running fairly standard set plays with a variety of personnel and that the QBs wouldn't have had any special work ahead of time on those plays other than what they do in their normal camp practices.  I could be wrong and if so Mallet has even fewer excuses!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Why is Develin in this mix? Not saying he's an all-pro, but I've never seen him mess up either. What's the issue there? I'd rather keep him than some stiff blocking TE.

+1 . . . Develin makes this team hands down . . . he does many things in many positions and he "does his job!"

[object HTMLDivElement]

• Sections
    Shortcuts