Back Surgery for Gronk

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Back Surgery for Gronk

Per Schefter the surgery will take place in mid-to-late June.

Not expected to be available for the start of training camp. Better hope Ballard steps up for the time being.

--------------

""Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski needs back surgery in mid-to-late June and he is not expected to be available for the start of training camp in late July, ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter confirms. 

This will mark Gronkowski's fifth surgery since November -- four on his left forearm, and one on his back. 

More to come.""

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=bostonnew-england-patriots&id=4743868

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Re: Back Surgery for Gronk

I really don't care as long as he's healthy for the playoffs.  It's been the reverse the past couple of years.  Strong start, hurt toward finish.  I'd rather he was available when needed most. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Yep, seen it coming.  Darn it!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I agree w/Cable but its gotta be dissapointing to see this massive man breaking down before we really got to take advantage of his skills in postseason. It has to be concerning knowing he was a medical risk with his back coming out and now it may be coming back again...smh

Its part of the game, but all we can do is hope its a blessing in disguise and Ballard better be ready. As it is now, Slater is the only healthy WR that played last year and he never lined up outside. Just special teams. I hope these rooks are fast learners!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

can anyone definately say that the infection in the wrist will not come back from the 4th surgery?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I'm glad they are performing the necessary maintenance to get him healthy. Even if he misses a couple of games or hits the PUP list, this is a wise move. Get the Man ready to be a force in the playoffs!  this will give our younger players more reps and experience this preseason too. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

can anyone definately say that the infection in the wrist will not come back from the 4th surgery?

Can anyone spell "definitely"?

good lord, the negativity here is rampant.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

Obviously they are a better team with him on the field and I am betting he misses the first 6 weeks on the PUP list...but this is a team that is built to overcome injuries, and like it has been said, better now then in the playoffs. Just hope he recovers fully and can stay 100% the rest of the year after he comes back!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

I'm glad they are performing the necessary maintenance to get him healthy. Even if he misses a couple of games or hits the PUP list, this is a wise move. Get the Man ready to be a force in the playoffs!  this will give our younger players more reps and experience this preseason too. 

Agreed about the younger players getting more reps. Although the difference with this guy not on the field is easy to see, especially in the red zone.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I'm glad they waited so long to diagnose a problem.  Cheers to the Patriots medical staff.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

OK Gronk misses 6 weeks of the regular season potentially. Upside is that the guys behind him get some actual playing time Ballard, Fells,Hooman, Sudfeld and Ford. No biggie I'd rather see Gronk but you take what you have and mold them. Sudfeld is gynormous at 6'7" 260 lbs and Ballard is the biggest TE 275 lbs.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coco40038. Show Coco40038's posts

I say pup him just to be sure he heals properly, ready for week 7.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingobilly. Show bingobilly's posts

Repeating what I've said previously...  Gronkowski is a fragile oversized kid who will be a losing proposition to the Patriots.  Perhaps, although the Patriots knew of his medical history they decided to take the "gamble" and hence gambling consists of mostly losers and not too many, if any, winners.

Now you can identify with my reasoning for saying this kid's so-called football career is not only in jeopardy but more than likely for all intents and purposes it is over!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Thank goodness that Broomhilda and her sidekick the King of the Tin Hat Fools sniffed this out as a Borges conspiracy some time ago, there never was an infection,,,,and likely not even a back injury....

OK...I'll be serious now. This was going to happen all along....I said over a week ago he's heading for the PUP....

1. When they put the plate back in Gronks arm it was after a blood test, AND a biopsy, of the injured area left NO DOUBT that the infection was totally gone.

2. Take it to the bank that Gronk is still on anti-biotics.

3. One of the links I posted awhile back, in between being abused by Broomhilda and her side kick, was from an Orthopedic Dr who stated that due to the multiple plates and surgeries Gronks forearm would need a longer than normal rehab....at least 3 months. So Gronk was not going to be ready by the end of July anyway.

4. If the back ain't right you better make it right as disks don't repair themselves on their own. So fix it now.

Let the kid heal and let him heal 1000% for criss sakes. Put him on the PUP and don't sweat it. Of the first 6 games only the away game in Atlanta looks tough.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coco40038. Show Coco40038's posts

I'm not a skies fallen type of guy, I have faith in bill go pats!!! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

I'm glad they waited so long to diagnose a problem.  Cheers to the Patriots medical staff.

Laughing Laughing

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

Gronk should take the entire season off to heal and strengthen all the physical problems

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

http://www.northwestern.edu/newscenter/stories/2011/01/nfl-linemen-back-surgery.html

I hope the kid comes out of this OK.

I looked up the history of back surgery and athletes and found this article that

seems to support a case for optomism.  

Nothing is guaranteed in life.

especially d@mn iphones

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Gronk had back surgery in college as well, and all he has done so far after that is to score 38 touchdowns in 43 regular season games. No one is saying what type of surgery it is, could be a simple scope, and all they are saying at this point is that he will 'miss the start of camp'. He has only missed 5 games in 3 years, all last season because of a broken arm on a freak play. Watch the hits he takes at 1:30 and 2:30 of this video and then tell me he is fragile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhITd82CH2s

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Sigh. One surgery after another and another. Bionic man? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to bingobilly's comment:

Repeating what I've said previously...  Gronkowski is a fragile oversized kid who will be a losing proposition to the Patriots.  Perhaps, although the Patriots knew of his medical history they decided to take the "gamble" and hence gambling consists of mostly losers and not too many, if any, winners.

Now you can identify with my reasoning for saying this kid's so-called football career is not only in jeopardy but more than likely for all intents and purposes it is over!

Meh. He was worth the risk on a 3rd rounder. What was colossally stupid was playing him on xps.

It's rather absurd to claim his career is over.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to FishTaco64's comment:

Obviously they are a better team with him on the field and I am betting he misses the first 6 weeks on the PUP list...but this is a team that is built to overcome injuries, and like it has been said, better now then in the playoffs. Just hope he recovers fully and can stay 100% the rest of the year after he comes back!

BB made a mistake last year...rushing him back. Sit him out unrtil he's 100%, even if it means he misses half the season. The Pats can't do without him in the play-offs.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Gronk should continue to drink heavily and wrestle - that is working awesome for him