Back to a Running Game threat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

Back to a Running Game threat

We're still focused primarily on defensive players or TE/WR in the draft yet we acknowledge that had the Pats run more than 40% (138:55) of the time against the Giants we may have had better offensive numbers and won a SB.  Yet we still neglect needs at CENTER (thinking of a DOMINANT center, ala Konz) at the top of the draft.

The presence of Konz would simply allow us to use the running game more often (to set up the passing game and reduce pressure on TB) because  his presence would make the running game more PRODUCTIVE!

Because we don't have a more dominant running game we're FORCED to use the pass.  It's an easy oversimplification to attribute a quasi-productive running game to a lack of quality RBs but make the holes big enough and it's amazing how improved our RBs will become.

Mankins has been heavily criticized for his poor play in the SB.  Was he out-classed by superior talent or was he too focused on helping our "substitute" center  prevent collapse of the interior of our O line?

When #27 comes up we should look at the BPA that will most help the Pats run at another SB! While I know that we desperately need a pass rush and improvements in the secondary and receiver corps (Branch/Ocho), the highest priority still remains selecting the players that will have the greatest impact on the Pats future success.

IMO the loss of a HEALTHY Gronk cost us this last SB!  Defenses will be geared to try to neutralize Gronk next season  and we must be ready to have other options on O and D to meet that challenge.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Re: Back to a Running Game threat

running game and throwing outside the hash marks. teams will be keying on the middle of the field like you said. Some teams had already done that. Not many throws outside the hash and ocho was good at it. Seems to me, they didnt want to do it cuz Gronk was always open. Brady got spoiled and had to improvise in the last game of the season. Not ideal. Need to establish a new look offense week 1 of next year. Get back to mixing up the playcalling and get # 12 under center.

Free agent WR

Rookie Center

Free Agent RB

Rookie D Lineman

Free Agent Safety..

Just going in that direction...

Vareen and Ridley are nice compliments but neither is the Stud Feature back we need.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In Response to Re: Back to a Running Game threat:
    [QUOTE]Vareen and Ridley are nice compliments but neither is the Stud Feature back we need.
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

How do you know when they barely even got a chance to play? FYI Ridley averaged 5 yards a carry. If Felix Jones hadn't gotten hurt would you say that about Demarco Murray too?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I am not saying they cant carry the rock, I am saying they wont ever get 25 plus carries a game.

I am not saying get rid of them, but they aint scaring anyone. Can they make plays?  Yes. If either of them were featured backs, i have to believe they would have been featured more, no?

Vareen had a hammy problem all year and you think he can tote the rock for a season?  Dude had one game he made in impact in. It was garbage time also...

Like I said, i think they are nice peices. If B.B. thought so, why was he trying to trade for P.Thomas??  Those backs are different.

F.Jones has proved he isnt. D.Murray is a big stud, I wouldnt have doubted his ability to be a feature back.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

3rd TE
    Rookie center
    D-line
    D backfield
    FA RB

in that order...........though BB will go with best available at whatever position the other teams aren't looking at...it's his way

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

I know you're not saying they should get rid of them but I also don't think its realistic to expect anyone in the NFL to get 25 carries a game in the Patriots offense. Lawfirm had 20+ carries 5 times in the last two seasons.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

and LAw firm is ranked where on your list of Top backs??

Cmon Capn.  The fact is when we had a stud like Dillon, they gave him the rock.

They dont think highly enough of Benny to feature him and the minute they get a chance, they bench him for Woody.

What a glowing endorsement, and how about that long term contract he signed...oh wait...

Benny is a good back, he never fumbles, but in comparison to other backs in the league, he isnt even the best undrafted back. Thats Arian Foster.

Teams arent worried about Benny and thats my point. Neither will they shed a tear if Vareen or Ridley or back there. You need a STUD.  They are good players.
    Thats all. Its just my opinion and I think when Brady tell Willie Mac that they have evolved into a passing offense due to the strenghts of their skill players that sais it all to me.  They dont think any of them are skilled enough to take away too many snaps from Brady and the passing game.

B.B. has shown us that....Its not a coincidence our last Sb was in 04 with Dillon.

We have scored much more points, Wes has broken records, Tom threw for 5 grand and still no Championships since Weiss, Crennel and Dillon.

We need a Stud Back, and  a "D" coordinator who has the balls to call agressive plays without looking over his shoulder...

Oh, and some better defenders...

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

No.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Im a troll because i dont put a team loss on our best player?

You feel like you are talking to high school kids....ok, thats pretty funny, I give you that. I didnt think you could be funny, but I was wrong.

Keep on with that delusional impression of yourself, you know the one where you think you are a geniuis and we are all crazy,,....lol

Its working...dont let anyone tell you different. You go Boy!

Did you really just ask what the difference would be if we had Foster instead of Benny???

Wow.....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

This was a far different team when Dillon was playing Shizzle. Apples to oranges, like Rusty said who cares where people "rank him"...If he gains yards give him the ball.

They did win all 5 Rusty - 1st Jets game and Chiefs this year, Colts, Bears & Phins last year.

BJGE # of carries in the losses from the past 2 seasons: 10, 5, 12, 10, 10, 9, 9

Obviously they can win while giving him the ball few times as they did this year - Tom Brady will do that for you - but in every single loss we see the same thing. They rarely ever lose while committing to a run game early. BJGE is more than capable of handling the load, they don't need an Arian Foster.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Capn, you and Rusty still DONT GET MY POINT.

I am not saying Benny isnt a capable back.

i am giving you the reason why he doesnt get a lot of carries in big games.

B.B. owes a lot of his success to Brady and he caters to him, thats no mystery.

He isnt going to defer to Benny. I keep saying it. I love the guy, but if he was so great, why not lock him up? He got to be cheap right?

I am not saying its right, I am saying its the coaches decision so why Bytch about it all year when you know what it is?

I am not the answer, i am the messenger. I am telling you why they dont use him, I am not agreeing with it. I am taking my position as a fan who wont effect the playcalling and I dont spend time thinking about things I can control.

I dont like a lot of things B.B. does, but I take the good with the bad realizing what hes done here and thats it.

B.B. wants to throw. Can we agree with that and leave it alone. If he wanted to use the backs we have more, im sure he can put the word out...I mean he is the Head Coach, no?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

BJGE is BETTER than Antowain Smith

Rusty, what do you base this on?

Career Numbers?  Sb rings?  what is it?

Please tell me how you are gonna explain this one...

before you answer just remember that Antoine wasnt a slouch and broke his share of long runs...

ok, go ahead...lol

I am not making the case for either one, just curious as to how you come to that conclusion.

Sort of like how u said its fact that something will never happen in the Sb ever without a crystal ball...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In Response to Re: Back to a Running Game threat:
    [QUOTE] I dont like a lot of things B.B. does, but I take the good with the bad realizing what hes done here and thats it. B.B. wants to throw. Can we agree with that and leave it alone. If he wanted to use the backs we have more, im sure he can put the word out...I mean he is the Head Coach, no?
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

Apparently not because everyone wants to blame O'Brien or Brady for the playcalling.  Maybe for an individual game you can make that argument, but not for 6 fuck1ng years.  The issue then becomes why.  Here are the options:

A) BB is a total pu$sy and is TB's b1tch

B) BB thinks the new rules favoring offense are conducive to a throwing based offense.

C) BB thinks given the personnel on the team that we are not a smash mouth team.

The problem is that according to a lot of posters on this board options B and C would make BB an idiot fantasy obssessed toolbag because it is obvious to anyone with a brain that running more would guarantee a win just from looking at box scores.  However since BB is the "greatest coach of all time" they can't have that and have to subtly imply option A without making BB look too bad.

Personally I think it's mostly a combination of B and C and I think that the drafting of Ridley and Vareen might indicate a shift in the offensive identity over time as they develop.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Its funny how some people throw around that genius monicker but refuse to lay blame at B.B. when something doesnt go right.

Fact is everything comes from up Top and B.B. has the last say.

This we KNOW.

Nothing is being called that isnt approved by B.B.

So like i said, I may not agree with everything but why bytch? Do you want a new head coach?  No, ok then shut it.  Watch, Laugh and Cry. Thats the only job you have as a fan ..ahem, Rusty

We had a lot laughs in SB's past and now we cry. Thats how it goes.

You dont think their were carolina fans from SB 38 saying how the h3ll are the pats the better team!? If Kasey just keeps the kickoff inbounds....blah, blah

We lost due to a collective amount of mistakes on offense, defense, and special teams and when you dont make plays and the other team does, you deserve to lose. Case closed

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

I think the biggest key is not so much that they need to run the ball 30 times a game, but rather they need the running game to be a threat of a huge play at all times. Most teams aren't going to care about giving up 5 yards gains all day if it prevents a big play. Now say we have a back out there  that is threat to take it to the house any time he gets space...they have to respect it. Maybe Ridley or Vereen can be that guy, only time will tell.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rochfan. Show rochfan's posts

So..are some saying the Pats would be better off running a NYG style pro style. I formation attack ? Scheme is the problem ?? That would possiblydiminish the no huddle expertise and oodles of points they scored early in the season to gain a strong start out of the gate ..
    or should the Pats just run more out of their shotgun spread offense. IE BJE averaged 4.4 YPC in the Super Bowl (highest among any RB in the game from either team. Woodhead almost gets as many carries but is much less effective (2.6 a carry). Maybe no Woodhead ? They were running the ball pretty well in the third quarter when the game was tight..but Bradys INT on first down just killed them. They were almost at midfield..with the lead..you've got to protect the football in that situation. Gronk was not wide open at all..Don't throw it up for grabs on first down.
    Then..later when BJE touched it again later..he got negative yards in a big play by NYG D..and it was pass time from there.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

so your beef is the no huddle? the offense we got our only 2 scores from?

Ahhhhh, I see, it is becoming clear now..... 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Tom Brady will be playing football at 35 next year. If our plan is to have him throw the ball near another career high in atts we probably won't have to worry about what happens in the SB, as we won't be in it.

The Tuck sack hurt Bradys previously torn left shoulder(the results of another pass heavy attack) This had an effect on Bradys accuracy and we STILL didn't go to a run game.

Next year we need to go back to more ground and pound, field position and help keep Brady upright.

I know it is difficult to realize but Brady is not invincible and we are hanging him out to dry.

We are a one dimensional offense that is over reliant on one player. It is tough to win like that....as the Giants have repeatedly shown us.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

To get back to the original premise, Konz is a huge "road-grader" who can be expected to push the pocket forward or crush a defensive lineman to open holes.  He can continue through his man to the second level (to  take out a LB for more RB daylight). With the ability to routinely push defenses back even average running backs could improve their yards/carry. With a healthy Vollmer we have an outstanding line that can only be better with a dominant center to kick-start the offense.

When they have the ball our most effective response is to collapse the pocket and force the Q to run for his life.  Since the Q is under duress and stress he has less time to look for open receivers. This favors our secondary since receivers have less time to find open seams.

1) When we're defending:
    Collapse the pocket and an opponents running backs are forced  laterally to look for running room.  Forward progress is delayed giving LBs and DEs an opportunity to contain. Without a strong center they're vulnerable.

2) When we're on offense:
     The Pats with a space-eating, strong and mobile center an opponent won't be able to easily collapse the pocket  giving TB time to find his receivers.
     (TB is most effective when he has time to search for open receivers). Our running backs will have running room inside too.

A strong running game forces defenses to respect our offense and greatly reduces their desire to be overly aggressive rushing TB. Blitzing the passer makes them especially vulnerable as long as we have BOTH an inside and outside receiver threat to complement a strong running game.

Sections
Shortcuts