Back to our roots: SMASHMOUTH

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kinchow. Show Kinchow's posts

Back to our roots: SMASHMOUTH

Much as I enjoy watching TB12 dissect defenses with his passing I think the team is predicatably pass-happy. 

In my opinion, the keys to success this year are physical running game and effective defense. 

Will Ridley be a feature-back?  Surely Vereen will get touches as well but how will they split the carries?  50%/40%? (with the remaining 10% split between Woodhead and Bolden)

I'd love to see BB run the ball between the tackles, wear out the D with FB's and TEs laying killer blocks, utilize frequent HB screen plays and play action to open up the deep pass. 

It'd be nice to burn the clock down with an effective running game.  Do you think the young guys are up to the task or should I expect more of the same predictable (yet effective) passing attack?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Back to our roots: SMASHMOUTH

Here we go again... cue the fantasy football junkies.

Even though "smashmouth" won us three rings, the finesse cheering section here will deny it to the very end.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Really I think they had better go with this "smash mouth" type of offense until they get their offensive line right. What are they going to do...have Brady stand back there and wait for Llyod to break open 20 yards down the field while someone breaks through the line and breaks Brady in half? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I dont think the Pats have the personel to play smash mouth. Koppen and Connolly are not big enough nor strong enough. There is no blocking TE/FB that will make the roster. Waters is a ?. Vollmer is a ?. This team is currently built to play fast with the ball in the air. The pooch screen is the running game.
    Unfortunately, the defense pays the price for running this type of offense, but who can argue with the past decade of dominance?
    If you want smash mouth go watch ground and pound in Jersey as the Jets try and grind out 13-10 wins

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In Response to Re: Back to our roots: SMASHMOUTH:
    [QUOTE]Here we go again... cue the fantasy football junkies. Even though "smashmouth" won us three rings, the finesse cheering section here will deny it to the very end.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

Weren't you the one yesterday, begging, prompting and insulting posters until they responded to your "baseless", "I got ya", much to do about nothing, post?
    Give it a rest , dude.
    Some of us would like to see a "smash mouth D" like it used to be, too.
    Is that so hard to understand?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kinchow. Show Kinchow's posts

I wasn't suggesting that the Pats should abandon their approach... moreso that they attempt to sprinkle in a heavy dose of "ground-and-pound" to both tire the defense and keep them guessing.

The OL does have plenty of question marks, however I always believed that OLmen prefer to run block instead of pass-block as pass-blocking was more tiring.

I think that adding Vinshenco (sp?) and the various FBs will makeup for any deficiencies in the OL run-block.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Back to our roots: SMASHMOUTH:
    [QUOTE] I'd love to see BB run the ball between the tackles, wear out the D with FB's and TEs laying killer blocks, utilize frequent HB screen plays and play action to open up the deep pass.
    Posted by Kinchow[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Let's hope BB "gets it" like you do.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Run blocking is attacking, pass blocking is falling back on your heels and intercepting incoming pass rusher's; ask any offensive lineman which they prefer and they will say they would rather attack.

None of us are saying to stop passing, I used to enjoy the dichotomy of Weis rolling out the 5 wide/empty backfield followed by the power I as much as anyone, but the truth remains the more "finesse" we've become the less effective we've been against playoff caliber defenses.  Fact.  

Even though we used to win Super Bowls by the slimmest of margins, used to control the time of possession, used to be the best play action team in the league, used to have a well rested opportunistic defense that made plays, none of that matters any more or has any bearing on our Super Bowl drought since 04.'   It's all a wild coincidence, or better yet it's the defense's fault the offense can't score or even convert first downs in the playoffs.

We've become the Peyton Manning Colt's and some posters here prefer winning their fantasy league using Patriot players over winning Super Bowls, that's how they judge success.  

I prefer "The Patriot Way."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kinchow. Show Kinchow's posts

How do you see BB splitting time between Ridley and Vereen? 

Who plays a bigger role between Woodhead and Bolden?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]I wasn't suggesting that the Pats should abandon their approach... moreso that they attempt to sprinkle in a heavy dose of "ground-and-pound" to both tire the defense and keep them guessing. The OL does have plenty of question marks, however I always believed that OLmen prefer to run block instead of pass-block as pass-blocking was more tiring. I think that adding Vinshenco (sp?) and the various FBs will makeup for any deficiencies in the OL run-block.

Pretty normal thinking imo Kichow, but becareful, you are not allowed to have opinions about the offense otherwise you think BB is an idiot and you think you are smarter then he is.

Oh but bash the defense all you want, that's not BB's specialty or anything LOL!

Btw I agree with you,O-linemen like to run block and wth 2 probowl guards we are geared for it imo!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]How do you see BB splitting time between Ridley and Vereen?  Who plays a bigger role between Woodhead and Bolden?

I think Vareen will be given the opportunity to take Woody's carries

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

A select few of you are insufferable jerks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]How do you see BB splitting time between Ridley and Vereen?  Who plays a bigger role between Woodhead and Bolden?

I'd like to see Ridely and Bolden get 20-25 carries a game with Vereen and Woody used on third downs. 

And truthfully I could care less about the regular season, we've proven we can win games against the dogs of the NFL without actually running with our power backs, conserve them, keep them healthy, but in the playoff's I'd like to lead the NFL in rushing attempts.

A good comparison would be Antwoin Smith's final year (2003) when they had nobody to back him up as the power back. Weis conserved Smith by basically shutting him down for the second half of the regular season.  Everybody here was bemoaning the lack of a run game but Charlie stuck to his guns using Kevin Faulk as the 1-A back.  

When the playoff's came around Smith led the NFL in post season carries and we won another ring.  We won, with a tired old back who only averaged 3.5 yards a carry during the regular season.  But we stuck to the run game, we stuck with our system, we stuck with what works, controlled the time of possession and won.  How soon they all forget...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Back to our roots: SMASHMOUTH : Pretty normal thinking imo Kichow, but becareful, you are not allowed to have opinions about the offense otherwise you think BB is an idiot and you think you are smarter then he is. Oh but bash the defense all you want, that's not BB's specialty or anything LOL!
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

I'll try explaining again for you Truechump.

Saying the defense sucks is commentary on the BB GM.

Saying you know better how to coach than BB is commentary on BB the coach.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Still wanna watch what the O Line can do and what the Pats backs are capable of.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]Still wanna watch what the O Line can do and what the Pats backs are capable of.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm not panicking about the O line, I still believe (hope?) Waters will be back, he's proven he can play as soon as he gets out of bed in the AM.

Vollmer and Mankin's will be back, we've won with substantially less talent then we have now and we haven't given the undrafted free agents their due. Scar could coach a leper onto a winning team.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to "Re: Back to our roots: SMASHMOUTH": [QUOTE]I dont think the Pats have the personel to play smash mouth. Koppen and Connolly are not big enough nor strong enough. There is no blocking TE/FB that will make the roster. Waters is a ?. Vollmer is a ?. This team is currently built to play fast with the ball in the air. The pooch screen is the running game. Unfortunately, the defense pays the price for running this type of offense, but who can argue with the past decade of dominance? If you want smash mouth go watch ground and pound in Jersey as the Jets try and grind out 13-10 wins Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE] I think personally what I'm trying to say is, if due to injuries we can't pass block very well, then it would be better/safer to run block. I know in theory Koppen and Connolly aren't prototypical run blockers, but Cannon may be and so might Solder. And let's face it, Connolly might be able to smash mouth as good as anyone. Of course if Mankins comes back 100%, along with Vollmer and Waters - then we should be fine (and that probably will happen). I do however worry that Mankins won't be the same player this year and that Vollmer will get over his back injury, which leaves a huge question mark in Cannon.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Back to our roots: SMASHMOUTH :  A good comparison would be Antwoin Smith's final year (2003) when they had nobody to back him up as the power back. Weis conserved Smith by basically shutting him down for the second half of the regular season.  Everybody here was bemoaning the lack of a run game but Charlie stuck to his guns using Kevin Faulk as the 1-A back.   When the playoff's came around Smith led the NFL in post season carries and we won another ring.  We won, with a tired old back who only averaged 3.5 yards a carry during the regular season.  But we stuck to the run game, we stuck with our system, we stuck with what works, controlled the time of possession and won.  How soon they all forget...
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

Forget? No wozzydoo. I remember Brady throwing 48 passes in the 2003 SB with 354 yards and 3 TDs. Smith got 3.2 yac in that game. Looks like "what worked" was the passing game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]Still wanna watch what the O Line can do and what the Pats backs are capable of.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]

You'll get to see that. We saw that over 400 times last season. Hopefully it will be a more pleasant observation this time around.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

This post is hidden because you are ignoring BabeParilli
    This post is hidden because you are ignoring BabeParilli

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Even though we used to win Super Bowls by the slimmest of margins, used to control the time of possession, used to be the best play action team in the league, used to have a well rested opportunistic defense that made plays, none of that matters any more or has any bearing on our Super Bowl drought since 04.' It's all a wild coincidence, or better yet it's the defense's fault the offense can't score or even convert first downs in the playoffs

We used to have a D that could get 3 & outs, stop 3rd down conversions, get picks, recover fumbles, get the ball back to the O more than 8 times a game and even score occasionally.  Those are the things that control ToP.
    Those are the things that actually help the O, instead of hindering them.
    The Patriot way was known for it's defensive toughness and play makers.
           THAT IS THE PATRIOT WAY!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kinchow. Show Kinchow's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Back to our roots: SMASHMOUTH : Forget? No wozzydoo. I remember Brady throwing 48 passes in the 2003 SB with 354 yards and 3 TDs. Smith got 3.2 yac in that game. Looks like "what worked" was the passing game.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Babe, TB had a fantastic game that SB.  Even though Smith only got modest production, the fact that he got so many touches kept the defense on their toes and opened up the field for TB to do his thing. 

I only want to see a more balanced offensive approach, better clock management, and a defense that gets a few more 3 and outs.

Too much to ask?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Back to our roots: SMASHMOUTH : Babe, TB had a fantastic game that SB.  Even though Smith only got modest production, the fact that he got so many touches kept the defense on their toes and opened up the field for TB to do his thing.  I only want to see a more balanced offensive approach, better clock management, and a defense that gets a few more 3 and outs. Too much to ask?

Thanks for pointing out the obvious, 26 rushing attempts for Smith isn't a good example for booob to highlight how rushing doesn't matter.  Obviously the Panthers were one of the better defenses in the league and an offense has to take what the opposing team gives them.  The point is you don't give up on the run, that helps keep the defense honest, that helps your passing game.

Oh yeah booob, another important stat, we won that game unlike the last one...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Back to our roots: SMASHMOUTH : Babe, TB had a fantastic game that SB.  Even though Smith only got modest production, the fact that he got so many touches kept the defense on their toes and opened up the field for TB to do his thing.  I only want to see a more balanced offensive approach, better clock management, and a defense that gets a few more 3 and outs. Too much to ask?

They threw the ball 48 times. That's among the most passes in SB history. It is a stretch to claim the anemic running game was a key in that victory.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to "Re: Back to our roots: SMASHMOUTH": [QUOTE]Even though we used to win Super Bowls by the slimmest of margins, used to control the time of possession, used to be the best play action team in the league, used to have a well rested opportunistic defense that made plays, none of that matters any more or has any bearing on our Super Bowl drought since 04.' It's all a wild coincidence, or better yet it's the defense's fault the offense can't score or even convert first downs in the playoffs We used to have a D that could get 3 & outs, stop 3rd down conversions, get picks, recover fumbles, get the ball back to the O more than 8 times a game  and even score occasionally.  Those are the things that control ToP. Those are the things that actually help the O, instead of hindering them. The Patriot way was known for it's defensive toughness and play makers.        THAT IS THE PATRIOT WAY!!! Posted by pezz4pats[/QUOT Sounds like you and I are in agreement after all. The only we're gonna win another SB is if we have a top 5 defense like in 01-04, because a top 5 offense keeps falling short. All this time arguing and we're actually saying the same thing. How bout that.