Ballard, Demps and Armstead = 3 missing draft picks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Ballard, Demps and Armstead = 3 missing draft picks

TE, Ballard can be a LEGIT backup for gronk and/or a nightmare in 2 and 3 TE sets, imagine those 2 huge TE´s blocking + Oline

RB, Demps can really run and its a football player, not a track star trying to get cute and play football. He can take over PR and KR, and help on third down. (camp its gonna be soooo competitive for vareen, demps and woodhead)

DT, Armstead, looks good on video, probably will need some time. He could be like having another 3rd round pick (i´m not buying he is 1st or 2nd round material) This addition to the team, gives BB room to use the 1st rounder in a Pass rusher or DB.

THE REST OF THE EQUATION ??? Just do the same than last year...

1.- have another good defensive Draft, just like last year.

2.- bring a good WR to this team, Just like last year.

3.- Take care of your players, Talib, Welker and Vollmer and its done !!!!

Its not a flashy offseason, but a great one if you ask me...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Ballard, Demps and Armstead = 3 missing draft picks

Great post, we've made three substantial moves for next season and the current one still has one game left to play.  The negative Nancy boys will be moaning for the next 6 months... well actually they never stop whining, but realists see good things happening already.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Since we are missing 4th, 5th, and 6th round picks I completely agree. With the exception of Ballard these guys imo would be mid round picks this year (ie 3rd-5th) so signing them essentially replaces the ones we traded away.I have high hopes for all but I do think they need to be treated as if they were mid round picks until we can see what they can provide on the field. In other words I would count them as depth and hope they can provide more but if there is a spot to upgrade/replace a starter I wouldn't pencil them in yet

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Demps has already played and spent the rest of the season (I'm sure) learning the intricacies of the pro game, I don't know if you remember his limited playing time but his speed leapt off the TV screen, he is already penciled in as the starting return man and third down back behind Woody.

Ballard while he wasn't a high draft pick was the Giant's starting tightend, was a mauling blocker in the run game and has some really reliable soft hands, if he was put back in the draft somebody would take him fairly high.  Say what you want about him but Tom Coughlin has an eye for talent and he was pretty ripped at BB for snatching this guy off the waiver wire for good reason.

Armstead may be the biggest unknown but considering his size, weight, pro day measurables and production as a junior it's fairly evident he would have projected as a 1st or high 2nd round pick.  

I may be overly high on the kid, admittedly I've been clamoring for a tall Seymour-like clone and a return to more 3 man fronts on defense for over a year now, but to my trained drafting eye this kid looks like BB stole another one.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Demps has already played and spent the rest of the season (I'm sure) learning the intricacies of the pro game, I don't know if you remember his limited playing time but his speed leapt off the TV screen, he is already penciled in as the starting return man and third down back behind Woody.

Ballard while he wasn't a high draft pick was the Giant's starting tightend, was a mauling blocker in the run game and has some really reliable soft hands, if he was put back in the draft somebody would take him fairly high.  Say what you want about him but Tom Coughlin has an eye for talent and he was pretty ripped at BB for snatching this guy off the waiver wire for good reason.

Armstead may be the biggest unknown but considering his size, weight, pro day measurables and production as a junior it's fairly evident he would have projected as a 1st or high 2nd round pick.  

I may be overly high on the kid, admittedly I've been clamoring for a tall Seymour-like clone and a return to more 3 man fronts on defense for over a year now, but to my trained drafting eye this kid looks like BB stole another one.

I agree.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think Ballard is a lock and will result in Fells release (another poor signing this past free agency period by the Pats). We have seen enough of Ballard to assume in this offense he will flourish

Demps is very interesting and can fill a dire need, but I dont see the Pats handing him the spot. I think they offer him competition for the position. If Woodhead resigns, I also question how many snaps Demps get at RB.

Armstead while impressive against CFL players, didnt stand out to me while at USC. I think it a mistake to not assume he is "in the mix" until we see more of him. In no way should he be counted on, and the PAts need to bring in more bodies for the interior DL. I also like the idea of Seymour (his wife loves New England)...and if not free agency, I do think the Pats need to look at interior DL in the draft. DOes Armstead play inside or outside on the line? Is Scott coming back? Can Cunningham take another step next year? (I thought he was very good before the suspension). WHat to make of Francis.

Too many questions on the DL to assume Armstead comes in and plays like a 1st round draft choice

Woz will call me a negative Nancy, I prefer to see the same problem for 3 years MUST be addressed, and so far it hasnt. More talent is needed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Is Ballard signed?  The Globe article on the roster had him as a free agent, but maybe it's an RFA. I like Ballard as a third TE and really hope Demps turns out to be the kick returner we need.   I liked Armstead with the Argos, but I think it's too early to say what he'll do in the NFL.  The CFL game is different, given the D-linemen have to line up a yard off the ball. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

Just watched some Demps highlights, I have to say i'm pretty certain he's the fastest football player i've ever watched tape of and that's no overexaggeration 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Demps would of been huge for us if he didn't get injured.  Ballard is a proven player.  I'm going to reserve wood on Armstead till he actually makes the team and shows he can play.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

yes thats an excellent point. these are the kind of moves that BB makes that fall under the radar while draft picks like dowling and butler are in the forefront. all teams miss on draft picks, all teams do but when its your team it always stands out. ask a steelers fan and they will tell you about all of their lousy draft picks that have been busts. one of the reasons why the patriots stay on top is because of these types of moves. ballard is a guy that doesn't get talked about much but he is going to be huge next year. they could have him, gronk, and hernandez out there at the same time. demps is a guy that teams will have to  worry about every time he sets foot on the field and is a threat to score any time he touches the ball. Armstead sounds good, don't know much about him but the reviews are good and he's exactly what the patriots need.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to auchhhhhhhhhhh's comment:

TE, Ballard can be a LEGIT backup for gronk and/or a nightmare in 2 and 3 TE sets, imagine those 2 huge TE´s blocking + Oline

RB, Demps can really run and its a football player, not a track star trying to get cute and play football. He can take over PR and KR, and help on third down. (camp its gonna be soooo competitive for vareen, demps and woodhead)

DT, Armstead, looks good on video, probably will need some time. He could be like having another 3rd round pick (i´m not buying he is 1st or 2nd round material) This addition to the team, gives BB room to use the 1st rounder in a Pass rusher or DB.

You left out the #1 things i want to do (AFTER we keep our 3-5 important guys) and tht is throw a TON of money at Jairus Byrd

We only have 3 draft picks, so if we do as you say, and I agree with you, then adding a D-lineman who can get to the QB, a burner or height WR and then either depth at CB or LB will take up the entire draft.

But if the ONLY free agent we get is Byrd, I will be thrilled as long as we also kept Talib, Voller and Welker (ordered by importance).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Is Ballard signed? 

He is a FA, but an exclusive rights FA which is sort of a misleading name since if we offer him a contract he has to take it or not play at all.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

You left out the #1 things i want to do (AFTER we keep our 3-5 important guys) and tht is throw a TON of money at Jairus Byrd

We only have 3 draft picks, so if we do as you say, and I agree with you, then adding a D-lineman who can get to the QB, a burner or height WR and then either depth at CB or LB will take up the entire draft.

But if the ONLY free agent we get is Byrd, I will be thrilled as long as we also kept Talib, Voller and Welker (ordered by importance).

Aren't Byrd and the Bills already talking about an extension. I'd be surprised if they let him go.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

When Demps was injured in the preseason finale, the handwriting was on the wall.  Even with a precautionary MRI that reportedly showed Demp was fine, he landed on injured reserve, done for the season.

Since the player undoubtedly won’t complain, there’s not much that can happen — even if his injury isn’t a season-long problem or if he’s not really even injured at all.  The league could investigate, giving Demps an independent physical.  As we understand it, that rarely happens.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/02/pats-stashing-of-jeff-demps-is-suspicious-but-dont-count-on-anything-happening/

Apparently, Demps broke his rookie last preseason and those things take 17 or 19 weeks to heal.  It's good to know that Jeff Demps will be just fine for the coming season.  He has undoubtedly been training like a football player since July, and should come into mini-camp next May with more upper body strength, stronger neck muscles, more ability to cut, plenty of practice running NFL routes with Patriots terminology and experience catching balls from the jugs machine.  He probably will never again run a 10.01 second 100 meter dash because of his extra upper body weight, but he'll still be the fastest guy on the field.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Armstead has played a year with the Argonauts and will certainly start on passing downs.  Rushers don't need a Ph.D., they just need a bull rush and a swim move or a club move to get through their blocker.  Armstead is there. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

BB has been having success in the NFL with extra tight ends as long as two of them are Gronk and Hernandez, and could carry an extra tight end on the 2013 team.  The lightweight defenses are going to get run through, and the heavyweight defenses are going to see lots of passes over the middle.  When a new system works, BB should add spare players to the new parts of the offense in case somebody goes down.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Hopefully this guy can make himself some useful next season too

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1201635-patriots-3rd-round-selection-jake-bequette-may-be-steal-of-the-draft

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

That Was A Crushing Hit On The QB, He,s Big, Got Speed......

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

You are right, i hope this guy can get some snaps... 1 full season with the team can really helo a youg player.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

Aren't Byrd and the Bills already talking about an extension. I'd be surprised if they let him go.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/30/report-bills-open-contract-talks-with-jairus-byrd/

James Walker of ESPN.com reports that the Bills have started talking about a contract extension with safety Jairus Byrd.

Per Walker, no deal is imminent. Byrd can become a free agent after this season so it makes sense that the Bills would try to lock him up before he can hit the open market. Byrd has made a strong impact on the Buffalo defense

If the Bills can’t work out a long-term deal with Byrd, he’d definitely be a candidate for the franchise tag.

Between the talks already starting and the franchise tag being available its prob unreasonable to think Byrd will make it to free agency.... but if he does... make him the top paid safety in the game for all I care. He would be a GODSEND.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I love Demps as the KR man, like Ballard as the number 2 TE with Hernandez as the slot WR now, and Armstead essentially becomes what BB had planned for Jonathan Fanene. 

The defense will take a giant step back if we're not able to lock up Talib though. Unless BB is looking to trade for another above average CB capable of taking on the opposing team's number 1, our defense will not improve. 

We also need a real safety with Chung on his way out and Gregory's embarassing performance in the AFCCG. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Kenny Philips would be a nice managable S to team up with McCourty, but he's always hurt. 

Players I would love to have, but I seriously doubt would come..Richard Seymour and his 30 other teams I would sign with, but I would never sign with the New England Patriots. And LaRon Landry and his F Bill Belichick for not trusting in me/ 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Kenny Philips would be a nice managable S to team up with McCourty, but he's always hurt. 

Players I would love to have, but I seriously doubt would come..Richard Seymour and his 30 other teams I would sign with, but I would never sign with the New England Patriots. And LaRon Landry and his F Bill Belichick for not trusting in me/ 

look, it's a double edge sword. An experienced hard hitting safety that is an upgrade over Gregory will either cost a fortune, or will be had on a relatively reasonable contract off there is injury concern. Wilson is the key. If the Pats feel he is capable of playing 30-50% of the snaps, they can roll the dice on a Phillips type signing, or a Landry type signing. I am not suggesting either of these 2 as I don't know the actual extent of the injuries, but if they sign a riskier pick with Wilson in the mix as well, the cost will be affordable. Goldsten or Byrd will cost big $$$$ and if signed means either Talib or Vollmer arent( Wes is already a goner)....I prefer a play of signing Talib and a safety that is an upgrade over Gregory. If Wilson is going to be a player that can contribute next year, I could be happy with McCourty, Someone like Phillips/Wilson and Gregory as the back 4. Assuming signings, I could also live with Talib, Dennerd, Arrington and Ras as the 4 CB's with a 5/6 including special teasers like Cole. This, along with signing Vollmer should be affordable for the Pats salary cap space. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 617AcrossDaBoard. Show 617AcrossDaBoard's posts

If Demps can stay healthy he turns Pat Willis into Spikes in comparison to speed.  Dude would kill oposing D's in the Woodhead role, just not sure he can block like woody at his size.

Should be a very exciting season next year.  It just s**ks to keep missing Championship opportunities while knowing Brady's time is dwindling down.

Overall, very good season for our Pats, but the margin for success in these parts are Championships so not quite good enough.

Thank You 2012 Patriots.... Bring on 2013..

Sections
Shortcuts