Baltimore's New Defense.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Baltimore's New Defense.

Baltimore is peaking right now, surely riding a crest of emotion from Ray Lewis' retirement anouncement (which I think is a farce btw, he'll be back). 

But I hear a refrain about their "tired" defense. 

Stat check on recent play.

In the last four weeks, getting more contribution from a somewhat healed Suggs and Kruger rushing they have:

Held the #4, #6, #10 and #12 offenses to an average of 16.75 points per game, including a double overtime game in which they allowed only 21 points to Denver's "vaunted" attack. 

They are old foes of NE, and each side knows the other well, so it should be close.

Which Baltimore defense do we expect to see, the one who had that terrible stretch in the middle of season when Suggs and Ray Lewis were out? Or the one that has shown up and been as terrific as ever the last month? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

Re: Baltimore's New Defense.

They may be peaking or may have already peaked. Ray won't be going down without a fight. I have a hard time believing that they can match NE blow for blow scoring the ball. Turnovers and filed position will be huge as always. Also, can we please tackle someone before the 50 on a kick off!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Baltimore is peaking right now, surely riding a crest of emotion from Ray Lewis' retirement anouncement (which I think is a farce btw, he'll be back). 

In the last four weeks, getting more contribution from a somewhat healed Suggs and Kruger rushing they have:

Held the #4, #6, #10 and #12 offenses to an average of 16.75 points per game, including a double overtime game in which they allowed only 21 points to Denver's "vaunted" attack. 

They are old foes of NE, and each side knows the other well, so it should be close.

Which Baltimore defense do we expect to see, the one who had that terrible stretch in the middle of season when Suggs and Ray Lewis were out? Or the one that has shown up and been as terrific as ever the last month? 

[/QUOTE]

True. I think it will be a close game, don't think anyone is saying it will be a blowout. But consider that they were VERY lucky to just eek by NE in week 3 when the Pats secondary was in shambles, no Talib, McCourty still at cb, the running game still in development, and it took a lot of help from the replacement refs and a last second FG that probably wasnt to beat the Pats by only one point at home. This is a playoff game at Foxboro, improved NE D, better balance on O--the only bad thing is no Gronkowski, but we didn't have Hernandez the first time. I won't die of shock if the Ravens win, but if I was a betting man, I'd bet on NE. It's SF that scares me. No Gronk against them could be a problem. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to jam757's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They may be peaking or may have already peaked. Ray won't be going down without a fight. I have a hard time believing that they can match NE blow for blow scoring the ball. Turnovers and filed position will be huge as always. Also, can we please tackle someone before the 50 on a kick off!

[/QUOTE]

Well, their offense was 11th ranked, with about 23ppg. Not shabby, but nothing to be terrified by. 

An exceptional performance, though, would be holding them to something lower in the teens. 

Football is all about matchups, so whether they can go 'blow for blow' depends on a host of factors like how well both defenses and the opposing offense plays. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

This forum has to stop focusing on the "No Gronk" issue!  Get past it knowing the Pats have adjusted as clearly shown in yesterday's game in which the O scored ALL 41 points AFTER he was out of the game plus Woody!  Focus on who they have and how they'll win and not who is missing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This forum has to stop focusing on the "No Gronk" issue!  Get past it knowing the Pats have adjusted as clearly shown in yesterday's game in which the O scored ALL 41 points AFTER he was out of the game plus Woody!  Focus on who they have and how they'll win and not who is missing.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, those are good points too, and I admit to being a worrier about not having him. The bright side of it is that the team has learned to game plan and play without him--something they didn't have the chance to do last year. Part of is just that the fans enjoy watching him play, and even if you win, if you win without him it's not as much fun. But I still think NE is the favorite to win it all, they would just be a prohibitive favorite if he was in there ready to go.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, those are good points too, and I admit to being a worrier about not having him. The bright side of it is that the team has learned to game plan and play without him--something they didn't have the chance to do last year. Part of is just that the fans enjoy watching him play, and even if you win, if you win without him it's not as much fun. But I still think NE is the favorite to win it all, they would just be a prohibitive favorite if he was in there ready to go.

[/QUOTE]

Unfortuanely I believe SF will be the favorite to win it all as they should be. It will be a monumental task to hang with that team and pull out a win but anything is possible. ANY GIVEN SUNDAY!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Baltimore will be a formidable opponent for a number of reasons.  I see a close game but I do agree that they can't match the Pats point for point.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You just answered your own question and the Colts and Broncos offenses isn't NE's.  I knew they'd beat Indy because Indy blew their wad in Week 17. I thought they'd give Denver all they could handle and they pulled it off, mostly because of a legendary breakdown by a Safety from Denver.

But, it's very obvious they are older and slower.  Mt Cody is a bust, as is Kindle, so they guys they brought into supplement

The fact is, during the year when Ray was out, their D was actuallY BETTER. I posted an article here about it where the data supports the premise. So, you're wrong again.  They're overachieving on D right now because of the Ray factor.   I knew they would be flying high, not going easily, but that doesn't mean their ability to cover against an offense like this is a good match up for them.

They just allowed 35 points.  If our D did that, you'd be incensed calling for BB's head for crying out loud. But, that's "terrifc"?

The question is, can they keep channeling this "WIn it for Ray" crap for a 3rd straight week on the road, against the BEST team they'd have faced in the last month.

Their D is old.   Lewis is retiring, has a deal with ESPN, he is a major liablity in pass coverage and Ed Reed has been playing hurt all year.  He's clearly not the Ed Reed of old. He's up there in age too and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he retires as well.

They have pride, exprience and some steady talent with Ngata (one of the best), Eellerbe is solid, as is Kruger, Upshaw is a solid looking rookie,but their DBs have  some depth issues, too. Ladarius Webb reshuffles the deck for them and if Brady and BB see a no huddle like they did against Denver in Week 4, Brendon Abandejo and Co will have their hands on their hips by the end of the 2nd qtr.

I would put Houston's front 7 above Baltimore's and you just saw what NE did to them. Brooks Reed, Antonio SMith and Connor Barwin did absolutely nothing last night.  Nor did Watt, really.

[/QUOTE]

Can you be honest, for even a second?

At least answer the question:

Did Baltimore's defense allow those two Kick Return Touchdowns??????

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Poll in the thread about facts:

How many touchdowns did Baltimore's defense allow yesterday to the Denver Broncos offense over the five + quarters of play??

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to jam757's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Unfortuanely I believe SF will be the favorite to win it all as they should be. It will be a monumental task to hang with that team and pull out a win but anything is possible. ANY GIVEN SUNDAY!!!

[/QUOTE]

Don't sleep on Atlanta.  A rookie QB in a dome on the road is not easy. Just because Clay Matthews still doesn't want to tackle, doesn't mean Atlanta won't.

If Ryan doesn't toss INTs, that game will be close. Now that the Seattle love fest is over, I'd love it if the SF love fest also ends.

[/QUOTE]

I'll be rooting like hell for Atlanta but there is a reason they will be underdogs at home in the NFC Championship. This kid Kappernick runs like he was shot out of a cannon. 188 yards rushing! Good lord! The Atlanta "almost collapse"also does not instill confidence in that team moving forward. SF blew the Packers off the field and Atlanta barely hung on to survive not having the greatest playoff collapse of ALL TIME. My prediction: 49ers 44 Falcolns 17 but yes, i'll be rooting like hell for Atlanta!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You just answered your own question and the Colts and Broncos offenses isn't NE's.  I knew they'd beat Indy because Indy blew their wad in Week 17. I thought they'd give Denver all they could handle and they pulled it off, mostly because of a legendary breakdown by a Safety from Denver.

But, it's very obvious they are older and slower.  Mt Cody is a bust, as is Kindle, so they guys they brought into supplement

The fact is, during the year when Ray was out, their D was actuallY BETTER. I posted an article here about it where the data supports the premise. So, you're wrong again.  They're overachieving on D right now because of the Ray factor.   I knew they would be flying high, not going easily, but that doesn't mean their ability to cover against an offense like this is a good match up for them.

They just allowed 35 points.  If our D did that, you'd be incensed calling for BB's head for crying out loud. But, that's "terrifc"?

The question is, can they keep channeling this "WIn it for Ray" crap for a 3rd straight week on the road, against the BEST team they'd have faced in the last month.

Their D is old.   Lewis is retiring, has a deal with ESPN, he is a major liablity in pass coverage and Ed Reed has been playing hurt all year.  He's clearly not the Ed Reed of old. He's up there in age too and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he retires as well.

They have pride, exprience and some steady talent with Ngata (one of the best), Eellerbe is solid, as is Kruger, Upshaw is a solid looking rookie,but their DBs have  some depth issues, too. Ladarius Webb reshuffles the deck for them and if Brady and BB see a no huddle like they did against Denver in Week 4, Brendon Abandejo and Co will have their hands on their hips by the end of the 2nd qtr.

I would put Houston's front 7 above Baltimore's and you just saw what NE did to them. Brooks Reed, Antonio SMith and Connor Barwin did absolutely nothing last night.  Nor did Watt, really.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No, they didn't.  My bad. 21 points.  How is this "terrific" though? Our D allows 13 in the SB waiting for our offense to ice it 4 times in the 4th qtr before the final, last desperation drive and you have been bashing our D relentlessly.

I would take our D right now in milliseconds over Baltimore's. Absolutely. 

Again, their D has pride and experience.  They don't have speed, agility, and the skill sets to match up well with NE's weapons on offense.

Why do you praise all other Ds but this one right here in New England? Hmm?

[/QUOTE]

If you must beg for the comparison again, fine. 

Really simple. 

It took Denver 16 drives to score that 21. And along the way Baltimore forced 2 three and outs, forced three turnovers, and had on TD scoring pick six. 

IT took NY 8 drives (far below the NFL average) to score 21 points. Along the way there wasn't a single turnover, a single three and out, or even a single 5 and out. 

Denver was the #2/#4 offense playing at home. 

The Giants were the #9/#16 offense playing at a neutral site. 

Allow that to register: Denver had TWICE as many chances to score, and Baltimore allowed the same amount of points. 

----

One performance is exemplary. The other is not good at all. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

I think the loss of Ladarius Webb is huge for the Ravens. No doubt it will be a dog fight but missing Webb is a huge plus for the Patriots. The game in the beginning of the season against the Ravens the Patriots were having their way with the Ravens defense until the replacement refs started throwing flags over everything.  I may be mistaken but Webb played in that game and the Pats still moved the ball well.  Ya they were missing Suggs but we seem to contain Suggs pretty well.  My prediction is the Ravens D will come to play no doubt but I don't think it matters as the Pats will move the ball and put up points.  My worry is the Ravens offense.  Flacco seems to be on a roll and Ray Rice has carved the Pats up many times before.  Still the Pats defense looks a lot different from when they played earlier in the year with Talib and McCourty at safety.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

ZB... you always bring a lot of thoughtful insight to this board. The person you are debating always attempts to denigrate whom ever disagrees with him with demeaning remarks. You are wasting your time talking to him.  Please keep up the informative posts.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think we are better equipped to handle this team than last year despite no Gronk.  last year Ridler was in the doghouse and Vareen was being redhsirted. They have been playing well but I dont see any stars anymore on that D. Ed Reed hasnt done anything in the back end in 2 games. Last 3 games announcers have called Kruger their best pass rusher because Suggs still isnt right and is just trying to bulldoze people out there but has no speed.  Kruger is better than Suggs right now but he is no Probowler. He can be handled relatively easy. Ray is the leader and will make tackles but will have not a big impact as he is just not the same player. 2 of their 4 backers will have to cover and thats their weakness.  They have a speedy guy who can Hit but he cant cover. Spread em' out and let Vareen have his way again.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

True. I think it will be a close game, don't think anyone is saying it will be a blowout. But consider that they were VERY lucky to just eek by NE in week 3 when the Pats secondary was in shambles, no Talib, McCourty still at cb, the running game still in development, and it took a lot of help from the replacement refs and a last second FG that probably wasnt to beat the Pats by only one point at home. This is a playoff game at Foxboro, improved NE D, better balance on O--the only bad thing is no Gronkowski, but we didn't have Hernandez the first time. I won't die of shock if the Ravens win, but if I was a betting man, I'd bet on NE. It's SF that scares me. No Gronk against them could be a problem. 

[/QUOTE]

Exactly, they faced our Soft zone schemes with # 32 and Moore at CB?? Now we have two physical guys in Talib and Dennard who get after it. Dennard will take on Torrey with Help and Talib can check Bolden one on one. Pitta will be bracketed on 3rd downs by Wilson and Gregory and the front 7 will  handle Rice. I actually feel pretty good about this game!

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Baltimore's new defense is about to get manhandled by the Pats new offense. When baltimore is forced to adjust after too much WW,Rid and vareen Brady will hit Lloyd on a PA 40 yard td.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly, they faced our Soft zone schemes with # 32 and Moore at CB?? Now we have two physical guys in Talib and Dennard who get after it. Dennard will take on Torrey with Help and Talib can check Bolden one on one. Pitta will be backeted on 3rd downs by WIlson and Gregory and the front 7 will  handle Rice. I actually feel pretty good about this game!

[/QUOTE]

That is the key. 

NE has the versatility now to mix in some Cover-1. 

That means an extra safety up front, which could mean an extra blitzer, or someone to be an RB spy. 

Baltimore's offense is not as good as the team NE just beat. The Texans offense scores about 26 per game, while the Ravens score about 23.

This defense *should* be able to hold them to 21 points in an average game. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If we learn from our mistakes from last game, (we scored 30), we can blow these guys out.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, problem was NE also gave up 33. 

I'm not sure they are going to score 30 points every single week man. Baltimore has played some really good offenses lately, and done really well in the process. 

Everyone is going to need to be on their A game. 

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No, they didn't.  My bad. 21 points.  How is this "terrific" though? Our D allows 13 in the SB waiting for our offense to ice it 4 times in the 4th qtr before the final, last desperation drive and you have been bashing our D relentlessly.

I would take our D right now in milliseconds over Baltimore's. Absolutely. 

Again, their D has pride and experience.  They don't have speed, agility, and the skill sets to match up well with NE's weapons on offense.

Why do you praise all other Ds but this one right here in New England? Hmm?

[/QUOTE]

If you must beg for the comparison again, fine. 

Really simple. 

It took Denver 16 drives to score that 21. And along the way Baltimore forced 2 three and outs, forced three turnovers, and had on TD scoring pick six. 

IT took NY 8 drives (far below the NFL average) to score 21 points. Along the way there wasn't a single turnover, a single three and out, or even a single 5 and out. 

Denver was the #2/#4 offense playing at home. 

The Giants were the #9/#16 offense playing at a neutral site. 

Allow that to register: Denver had TWICE as many chances to score, and Baltimore allowed the same amount of points. 

----

One performance is exemplary. The other is not good at all. 

[/QUOTE]

crickets ...

Sections
Shortcuts