Baltimore's New Defense.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Baltimore's New Defense.

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nobody complained that he threw too much, many of us complained that we didn't run enough, it's not the same thing.

[/QUOTE]

Then you can't complain about the use of percentages.  If you run more and pass more is that really a change in philosophy or did you simply run more plays?  I think it's disingenuous to harp on the number of rushing attempts and then dismiss the fact that Brady attempted more passes as well.  Particularly since some people (maybe not you) harp on the pass/run ratio from our previous SBs (which is in fact percentages).  I do think we ran more this year than last and I do think this offense is better than last year's, but I think the reasons are a bit more sophisticated than playcalling alone.  Do I think McD is better than O'Brien?  Sure, but it's not just playcalling imo.  In addition there is a difference between playcalling and run/pass ratio which I think is a distinction that is not made often enough in these discussions.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Well at least Wozzy is still trying, and he is definitely right that this was their best year of rushing in a while.  Meanwhile Rusty seems to have fled with his tail between his legs.  LMAO.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nobody complained that he threw too much, many of us complained that we didn't run enough, it's not the same thing.

[/QUOTE]

Then you can't complain about the use of percentages.  If you run more and pass more is that really a change in philosophy or did you simply run more plays?  I think it's disingenuous to harp on the number of rushing attempts and then dismiss the fact that Brady attempted more passes as well.  Particularly since some people (maybe not you) harp on the pass/run ratio from our previous SBs (which is in fact percentages).  I do think we ran more this year than last and I do think this offense is better than last year's, but I think the reasons are a bit more sophisticated than playcalling alone.  Do I think McD is better than O'Brien?  Sure, but it's not just playcalling imo.  In addition there is a difference between playcalling and run/pass ratio which I think is a distinction that is not made often enough in these discussions.

[/QUOTE]

Last year NE was the worst team in the postseason after Detroit in time of possession, this year we run more, the well rested defense makes more plays on the ball... shocking, not really. Yes the defense has improved slightly but the offense spending more time on the field and leading the NFL in first downs certainly has something to do with it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Brady just set a career high in pass attempts this year.  He threw more passes than he did last year when everyone complained he threw too much.

[/QUOTE]

~5%, or one play in 20 is the difference in balance. ~20% is the difference in effectiveness of our lead back.

Clearly, the change to the running game is much more about quality than quantity.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

And with all these fancy convoluted stats the one that stands out, the most glaring:

Last year 17 points scored against the Giants (thanks defense for doing what you could).

2010 = 21 points scored in a home loss to the Jets (Benny spends the first half on the bench, thanks Obie, good job) 18 points in the 2nd half btw...

2009 = 14 points scored against the Ravens in a home playoff loss. 3 INT's by Brady, is this the picture of efficiency?

Don't put all your eggs in the offensive basket, then blame the D when the offense doesn't live up to it's "averages."

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

More personal attacks instead of responding to the facts presented by Zbellino.  Tears!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

I don't understand why this always becomes a religious argument. But since some of us seem enamored with statistics, here are some for the Patriots run offense to chew on:

Year    Rush att     Rush yards    Average    YPG    Rush 1st downs

2012      523           2184            4.2         136.5        151

2011      438           1764            4.0         110.3        107

2010      454           1973            4.3         123.3        119

2009      466           1921            4.1         120.1        114

2008      513           2278            4.4         142.4        145 (Matt Cassell QB)

2007      451           1849            4.1         115.6        124

2006      499           1969            3.9         123.1        121

2005      439           1512            3.4           94.5        101

2004      524           2134            4.1         133.4        120

These are the facts, the only years when this team rushed more than 500 times were 2004, 2008 and 2012. 2008 was Matt Cassell's year and Bill was not about to bet the team's fortunes on just his arm. 2004 and 2012 are almost identical in terms of rushing statistics. Maybe we will be lucky enough to get the same results!!!

No connotative commentary, just wanted to share these stats. I feel good about our chances this year because we have a great passing offense, a pretty decent rushing offense, a strong rushing defense, and a middling but improving pass defense. We are still a little vulnerable to long passes but that has also improved through the year. I think we are about as well-rounded a team as there is in the league, except we have an HOF QB as well.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I dont ever remember a Ravens Defense giving up Rushing yards in games like they did this year.
    214 KC, 227, Dallas, 181 Houston, 163 Denver, 179 Redskins, 224 Giants.

[/QUOTE]

They didn't give up 224 against the Giants, they ran for 224 in that game. I'm not going to judge that defense on those games just like I don't judge the Patriots by their first 6 or 7 games.

In these playoffs, Suggs, Lewis and Ellerbe are all playing together for the first time this season. Suggs has mostly been useless this season, he looked pretty good on saturday. If he's back healthy, then Suggs, Kruger and Ngata make a pretty good run stuffing and pass rushing front.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

Last year 17 points scored against the Giants (thanks defense for doing what you could).

[/QUOTE]

Oh, yes. Thanks D for giving up 33% more first downs than the average NFL D, and letting Eli make you look like fools at the end to lose another SB for us. You definitely did "what you could".

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I see that "averages" are only relevent when making a point about opposing teams but in regards to the Pat's it's always "well it's only 3%" or the difference in ranking 17th in rushing attempts vs being ranked 2nd is so little...

This offense is subtantially better than the team that got bounced in the 1st round of the playoffs with Obie at the helm.  Let's start with the bookend tackles, bigger and better, and then look to the tightends where we've had much better depth all season.  Even without Gronk having Huey and Fells added to Hernandez is automatically going to give you a more potent running attack.  

I love how we carried 6 receivers on last years team and currently we have 3 but there is no difference between the philosophy of this year vs year's past.  You guys are in denial, this offense is tougher, more smashmouth than we've had since 2008 and probably better than any of our championship years.  The defense is rebuilt, the offense plays complimentary football with that defense and the difference has been the coordinator and return of Patriot football.

[/QUOTE]

Pats offense is way better.  You mentioned receivers... Lloyd over ocho is a no brainer,  and then you have the tiquan Underwood situation.  Would love to hear what obie opologists say to explain that fiasco.  Giving that bozo snaps all year and then cutting him the day before Superbowl. 

Mcd is using the talents of vereen, Ridley, Hernandez, Lloyd, ... Spreading ball around.  Huey is a solid gronk replacement.  pats will run the ball on ravens.  This game could be a blowout.  (payback for 09)...

[/QUOTE]

First of all, your first comment is not a fact but an opinion. Secondly, why would it matter what "Obie apologists" say about either of these situations? The offensive coordinator does not make personnel decisions like signing Ochocinco and cutting Underwood. O'Brien used what he had at receiver and I doubt it was his decision to bench Ridley for most of the playoffs.

This statement only further solidifies other poster's comments that there is more talent on the team this year; therefore, the increase in offensive output (though not quite as drastic as some think). Last year at this point the Pats were coming off the exact same 30 point shellacking in the divisional round; still two games to go fellas.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to neinmd's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't understand why this always becomes a religious argument. But since some of us seem enamored with statistics, here are some for the Patriots run offense to chew on:

2008      513           2278            4.4         142.4        145 (Matt Cassell QB)

These are the facts, the only years when this team rushed more than 500 times were 2004, 2008 and 2012. 2008 was Matt Cassell's year and Bill was not about to bet the team's fortunes on just his arm. 2004 and 2012 are almost identical in terms of rushing statistics. Maybe we will be lucky enough to get the same results!!!

No connotative commentary, just wanted to share these stats. I feel good about our chances this year because we have a great passing offense, a pretty decent rushing offense, a strong rushing defense, and a middling but improving pass defense. We are still a little vulnerable to long passes but that has also improved through the year. I think we are about as well-rounded a team as there is in the league, except we have an HOF QB as well.

[/QUOTE]

Do you by any chance have splits for this? I feel like the stats can be skewed a bit because of the fact that the Pats get so many big leads. Running the ball in a 10 point game is different from running when you have a 20+ point lead in the fourth quarter.

2004 is still the best rushing attack this team has had and I don't think it's close. That 2004 team could probably run it down a teams throat 10 straight times for a Td drive.

I do think Ridley can have success in this game. Hopefully he just holds onto the ball.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Do you by any chance have splits for this? I feel like the stats can be skewed a bit because of the fact that the Pats get so many big leads. Running the ball in a 10 point game is different from running when you have a 20+ point lead in the fourth quarter.

2004 is still the best rushing attack this team has had and I don't think it's close. That 2004 team could probably run it down a teams throat 10 straight times for a Td drive.

I do think Ridley can have success in this game. Hopefully he just holds onto the ball.

[/QUOTE]

I can look for those stats but don't have them readily available. Here is a comparison of Dillon versus Ridley

Yards       Average       20+ yards       1st downs

Ridley          1263         4.4              6                    82

Dillon           1635         4.7              8                    81

To your point, Dillon was a stud, and much better than Ridley but the 2012 rushing offense has much more balance than 2004. Ridley represented 58% of the rush offense, Dillon 77%. Kevin Faulk was the only back that had over 250 yards in 2004; Woodhead, Bolden and Vereen all have over 250 yards each in 2012. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to themightypatriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well at least Wozzy is still trying, and he is definitely right that this was their best year of rushing in a while.  Meanwhile Rusty seems to have fled with his tail between his legs.  LMAO.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah.  I am known fleeing after bludgeoning trolls.  It's called I have a job and I'm not in the office everday, spanky.  Check it out sometime, tcal/mighty.

[/QUOTE]

Stifle it junior. You have never bludgeoned anybody here. Not one time. Mostly, you just play the fool.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Slice it up anyway you like, but the Ravens backed into the playoffs losing 4 of their last 5. Then beat a Colts team that didn't even belong in the playoffs, which we hung 59 points on and then were very fortunate to pull one out in 2x OT against a QB with a 9-11 playoff record and more one and outs than you can shake a stick at.

There is nothing to be impressed about regarding the ratbirds. The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. If we execute to a normal level, we win relatively easily. If we stuff our heads up our butts we may well lose. The only team that can beat us this week is us.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good post

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to themightypatriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah.  I am known fleeing after bludgeoning trolls.  It's called I have a job and I'm not in the office everday, spanky.  Check it out sometime, tcal/mighty.

[/QUOTE]

Stifle it junior. You have never bludgeoned anybody here. Not one time. Mostly, you just play the fool.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Rocks has a similiar persona as the New Town shooter; wants to destroy, to make up for his personal inadequecy. He is a legend in his own mind. If a vote off the " Board" were taken he would garner > 95% of the votes

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

Oh, yes. Thanks D for giving up 33% more first downs than the average NFL D, and letting Eli make you look like fools at the end to lose another SB for us. You definitely did "what you could".

[/QUOTE]

How about you address the lack of scoring instead of blaming the defense for what the offense didn't do.  Both teams had the ball 9 times, actually the Pats had it one more possession than the Giant's with an Eli kneel down before the half... but again, instead of trying to deflect, deal with the facts.

The offense didn't score enough... period.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

One comment on your theory here. We ran 156 more plays in 2012 than we did in 2004 yet ran about the same number of times. That's about 7% less run balance than 2004. (Or, a greater balance difference between 2004/2012 than this year's team vs last years.)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Why the New England Patriots Running Game Makes Them a Force in the Playoffs By Erik Frenz (AFC East Lead Writer) on January 14, 2013

1,506 reads

4 Icon_comment

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories Next Hi-res-159419605_crop_exact   Elsa/Getty Images

The New England Patriots have had one of the league's best offenses for years, but have fallen short of the Super Bowl. What makes us think this year will be any different?

The running game.

What this team has that those teams lacked, more than anything else, is an explosive threat out of the backfield. The Patriots have not just one, but two big threats in the backfield, with a third on the way.

We knew what Stevan Ridley and Danny Woodhead brought to the table, but Shane Vereen's big performance against the Houston Texans makes him an X-factor in these playoffs and in future years.

The Patriots have had a respectable running game all season long, but the question has remained as to whether they would continue to be successful on the ground in the postseason. So far, so good.

Against the Texans, the Patriots rushed 24 times for 122 yards (5.08 YPA), adding three rushing touchdowns. Vereen added five receptions for 83 yards and two more touchdowns to almost make the Patriots backfield the story of the day (were it not for some guy named Tom Brady).

Patriotsrunninggame_original The backfield's ability to create explosive runs has been one of the hallmarks of this offense in comparison to previous Patriots offenses, and Patriot backs ranked eighth in the NFL in runs of 10 yards or more this season with 60. They didn't disappoint on Sunday, with three such runs against the Texans.

The Patriots were successful in so many different ways with the running game, and just like every facet of New England's offense, it's the multiplicity of their ground attack that makes it so lethal.

A big part of what has made these backs so successful is the uptempo aspect of the offense. They rush to the line and get the snap off before a defense can get set.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

New England Patriots strategy From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search The New England Patriots employ a variety of strategies during play. Since the arrival of head coach Bill Belichick in 2000, the Patriots have utilized an "Erhardt-Perkins" offense and a "Fairbanks-Bullough" 3-4 defense, referred to commonly as a 2-gap 3-4 defensive system.[citation needed] Contents [hide] 1 Erhardt-Perkins offensive system

1.1 Running game 1.2 Passing game 1.3 Other teams running similar offensive systems 1.4 Comparison to "West Coast" and "Air Coryell" offenses 2 Fairbanks-Bullough 3-4 defensive system 2.1 History 2.2 Other teams running similar defensive systems 2.3 Comparison to other 3-4 systems 3 Philosophy 4 References 5 See also [edit] Erhardt-Perkins offensive system The

Patriots run a modified "Ron Erhardt - Ray Perkins" offensive system[1] installed by Charlie Weis under Bill Belichick. Both Ron Erhardt and Ray Perkins served as offensive assistant coaches under the defensive minded Chuck Fairbanks while he was head coach of the Patriots in the 1970s.[1]

This system is noted for its multiple formation and personnel grouping variations on a core number of base plays. Under this system, each formation and each play are separately numbered. Additional word descriptions further modify each play (see below for examples). [edit]

Running game The Erhardt - Perkins system has at times had a reputation (whether or not earned) of being a traditional smash mouth offense that maximizes a team's time of possession and does not as frequently call upon its running backs to serve as receivers.[2] Erhardt was famous for his adage, "throw to score, run to win."[3] This may have been especially true during the years Bill Parcells ran this system as the head coach of the New York Giants.[4] This system is thought to be particularly well suited for teams playing in harsh outdoor weather conditions of the northeast of the United States.[citation needed] An example of a running play under this system is Zero, Ride Thirty-six. Zero sets the formation. Thirty indicates who will be the ball carrier running with the ball. Six indicates which hole between the offensive linemen the ball carrier will attempt to run through (see Offensive Nomenclature).[citation needed] [edit]

Passing game This offense often uses "the run to set up the pass" via play-action passing, faking the run in order to throw deep downfield when the defense is least expecting it. Despite its reputation, this system is not always a run first offense. Erhardt commonly ran the system in his later years spread wide open with multiple receivers (earning the moniker "Air Erhardt"), as NFL rules evolved to benefit the passing game. As a result of this influence, the Patriots will frequently run this offense with five potential receivers and an empty backfield should a favorable matchup present itself or as a function of available personnel. With the addition of Randy Moss and Wes Welker to the Patriots offense in 2007, the Patriots placed an emphasis on a wide open passing attack

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Sorry about spelling errors...

The reason this debate rages on is that 2 or 3 guys refuse to admit that our offense was "one dimensional" under Obrien even though everyobody knows this to be true. The exception was 2010 when we shipped out Moss and rode BJGE and a few other backs which resulted in  Brady throwin his least amount of INT's of his career and the only unanimous MVP in NFL history.

These same guy have excused OB every which way for whatever reason. Now that McD is back we have "committed to the run game" I listen to Siruis radio all day long and it is all these guys talk about. The Patriots have ignored the run game in years past and BB was tired of over relying on Tom's right shoulder. They have committed to running the ball and it is rewarding..

This 2012 offense leads the LG in rushing tds

2nd in rushing att's.

leads the LG in 3rd down conversion rate.

Defense's have no idea how to defend us and I believe we will win a SB because we have gone back to a more balanced offense that utilizes all of its weapons.

Last year we averaged 4 ypc as a rushing offense. This year we average 4.2 ypc as a rushing offense. Only a gain of .2 ypc. That means on 523 carries we totaled 106.4 rushing yards more then last year!!! Why then did we run the ball almost 100 more times? Yes we got more plays, because our offense had better T.O.P and in tune our well rested defense who many of you slam forced the 2nd most turnovers in the LG....giving our offense more opportunities, but a .2 ypc increase is hardly a reason to run 100 more att's. Could it be that IT IS NOW IN THE GAME PLAN AGAIN???

My argument with Z is that as a coach he should damn well know that a more balanced offense will lead to a more efficient offense and a more rested defense. A soft finesse passing offense will not help your young and rebuilt defense as much. 3 and outs with no time off the clock hurts your defense. Just look at how the Texans controlled the 4rth qtr on sunday. We threw 4 straight passes(3 and out) in between their 2 tds drives. I am sure a few of you will mark that up as mere coincidence while the rest of us use the old eye test and realize this offense is better then ever....maybe the best all time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How about you address the lack of scoring instead of blaming the defense for what the offense didn't do.  Both teams had the ball 9 times, actually the Pats had it one more possession than the Giant's with an Eli kneel down before the half... but again, instead of trying to deflect, deal with the facts.

The offense didn't score enough... period.

[/QUOTE]

It had nothing to do with our lack of running game due to our best back riding the bench in the doghouse allowing the Giants Front 4 to Tee off on Brady from beginning to end of the game and this guy still managed to complete 16 straight passes and only struggled when he re-injured his Shoulder after the Tuck hit but STILL put his team in position to win BUT there 3 DROPS on that potential game winning drive. Yea all those things arent important to point out...Carry on Wozzy!  My question is why are you trying so hard to make the stats work for YOU. I will ask the same thing I did last week to our newest Brady basher. DID you Expect him to be perfect??? Do you realize Tom Brady is a human being???

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

NAME ATT YDS AVG LONG 20+ TD YDS/G FUM FUML 1DN

BenJarvus Green-Ellis229 1008 4.4 33 4 13 63.0 0 0 62

NAME ATT YDS AVG LONG 20+ TD YDS/G FUM FUML 1DN

Stevan Ridley290 1263 4.4 41 6 12 78.9 4 2 82

Hey I wonder what would have happened if BJGE got 61 more carries in 2010(when he was healthy all year) I think Ridley is better then Benny but boy these numbers in their 1st years as starters look very similar...well except the fumbling.

We have always had talent. We just haven't always had talented coordinators. It hurts losing 3 OC's and 3 DC's despite what Z and Prolate think.

Sections
Shortcuts