Baltimore's New Defense.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Re: Baltimore's New Defense.

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

In response to garytx's comment:

In response to garytx's comment:

So...how did this thread about Baltimore's defense turn into the running game thing again?  Hasn't this been bantered about in other threads? 

The big difference from the beginning of the season to now is the improvement of the OL.  These guys are doing a terrific job.  You can't pass or run without these guys and they are at the top of their game right now.  The problem will not be about the offense this year even with Gronk out.

The question is still about the defense and hope that the special teams snafu last game was just a fluke.

Because I made a comment about the ravens new look defense was going to get man handled by the patriots new look offense. The author of the OP disagreed saying the pats offense isthe same as it has been. I showed him it wasn't as we run more then we have in 8 years and use shotgun less then we had.

I think our versatile offense will keep a very smart defense guessing all game.....something the OB offense never did. I would also add that are o line has never really been an issue. It is a yearly top 5 unit due both to having a great o line coach and the best QB in the game. When you ask them to pass block a 2-1 ratio in the SB when they're going against the best pass rush in the LG well then maybe. But o lines love to run block, and we were second in the LG in that area. 

Although I respect Z's opinions I think he's wrong here as well.  The offense seems to be working better this year.  The running game seems more effective.  The Pats got off to a rough start and I was questioning the ability of the OL at the time.  They really have come around.  Also, I don't respect the Ravens defense like I once did.  I didn't read all of the posts but I wonder about Baltimore's competition this year.  The way I look at it if the OL can control Ngata and Suggs the Pats should ring up a win.

I agree that the Ravens D had a down year. Upshaw and a few others have been slow to develop. I agree with Z that they are playing better lately and are no doubt on an emotional high with the Reverend Ray Lewis farewell tour.....but this defense lacks play makers. They are very disciplined and know us well, but again i agree with Madden, Gannon, Kirwan and many others that this "new look Pats offense" that is committed to running the football will be too much for this old defense. In the past they knew our tendencies...no longer.

What were the Pats tendacies sunday?  41/23.  looks a LOT like the SB except that the D was on the field for only 31 minutes and 12 possessions.  7 less minutes for the D means 7 more minutes for the O.   That's how that works?   Imagine that!

There were a few more runs than in the SB but there were also a few more plays, so basically a wash. 

It's amazing what 4 more possessions can do to help scoring.

SB = 8 possessions = 17 pts  2 TD's, 1 Fg

Division = 12 possessions=41 pts   5 TD's and 2 FG's

Yup it's truly amazing what happens when the D can produce T/O's and 3 and outs and gets the ball back to the O.  AMAZING!

Let's hope it's not a 8 possession game Sunday, cuz if it is, it means the D is not getting off the field.  Those WERE their tendacies.  Hopefully never again!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTS. Show BostonTS's posts

"If you had told anyone here allowing 13 points into the 4th qtr last February, with Brady having 4 drives to work with and a 2 pt lead, who wouldn't have liked our chances?"

Yawwwwn. Tired argument much? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Oh, BTW crusty.

* The Ray Lewis effect: Ray Lewis leads the Ravens with 30 tackles this postseason. The Ravens have allowed opponents to complete only 49 percent of their passes when sending five or more pass-rushers with Lewis this season.

Without Lewis, Ravens opponents are completing 65 percent of their passes against such pressure.

I would say they're better with him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

"If you had told anyone here allowing 13 points into the 4th qtr last February, with Brady having 4 drives to work with and a 2 pt lead, who wouldn't have liked our chances?"

Yawwwwn. Tired argument much? 

Not only tired, it's a total and blatent fabrication. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

In response to wozzy's comment:

Numbers per drive is complete horsesh-t!  

It's really not.  If it wasn't what would be the point of trying to beat great offenses by holding the ball.  It's to give them less opportunities to score because most people realize that how many times you score is related to how many opportunities you get.  Think about it.  If your opponent scored a TD every time they had the ball it wouldn't matter how long you held it.  It is the fact that they don't and you think you can stop them a few times that makes holding the ball valuable.  It isn't the whole story, but to pretend it is irrelevant completely flies in the face of the logic behind why you think we should run the ball.

Yeah it really is, in the context of one game if the Patriots and Giants had the same amount of possessions, then whatever they've done until that point in the season doesn't matter.  This year's offense really didn't turn a corner until the final game against the Dolphins, when they proved they could run the clock out when the opposing team knew they would attempt to do so and were still successful at it. Should the offense be judged on how they played in week three?

Funny how every week including this past one, the Patriot's and Belichick preach that whatever happened in the previous game against the Texans has no bearing on the game coming up.  It's true of every game, previous stats mean nothing.  The only thing that matters is the game coming up, living in the moment and executing.  But fine if you want to focus on averages...

In 2011 the Patriot's offense averaged 32 points per game, in the Super Bowl they scored 15; substantially below average, less than half in fact...

In 2011 the Patriots defense allowed 21 points per game, exactly what they allowed in the Super Bowl; average.

Who sucked again?  Yeah the defense didn't cause any turnovers but the offense turned it over twice, once for a 2 point loss. If they'd only broken even and turned one of those precious possessions into points we wouldn't even be having this conversation but they didn't. They had the Super Bowl's only turnovers, two of them...

These points per drive averages are garbage, junk science.  Points scored, points against and turnovers are what matters.  All other stats tell a story of what happened but the three stats above are the only ones that matter when it comes to winning and losing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I'd love to see you guys roll out your intricate, elaborate stats and explain to Belichick why his offense only scored 15 points, I can a terse look on his face as he tells you "stats are for losers."

They keep score with points, until they start keeping a tally of good intentions you can take your QBR's, DBR's, and PBR's roll them up and smoke them... although I think you've been smoking enough so I don't want to encourage you.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

It's really not.  If it wasn't what would be the point of trying to beat great offenses by holding the ball.  It's to give them less opportunities to score because most people realize that how many times you score is related to how many opportunities you get.  Think about it.  If your opponent scored a TD every time they had the ball it wouldn't matter how long you held it.  It is the fact that they don't and you think you can stop them a few times that makes holding the ball valuable.  It isn't the whole story, but to pretend it is irrelevant completely flies in the face of the logic behind why you think we should run the ball.

Exactly. Wozzy doesn't seem to get that the argument he made repeatedly last year about the need to hold the ball longer is exactly the same argument that the number of drives matters, just in different words. Given that the game length is fixed at 60 minutes, longer drives mean fewer drives which means fewer scoring chances for your opponent.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I'd love to see you guys roll out your intricate, elaborate stats and explain to Belichick why his offense only scored 15 points, I can a terse look on his face as he tells you "stats are for losers."

They keep score with points, until they start keeping a tally of good intentions you can take your QBR's, DBR's, and PBR's roll them up and smoke them... although I think you've been smoking enough so I don't want to encourage you.

What BB actually said:

BB: No, I think there’s some relevance to some statistics. I don’t think they’re irrelevant but you have to be careful about putting too much on them but there’s some relevance to them. I’d rather be obviously high in wins, low in points, low third-down conversion percentage, low red-area percentage, low goal-line percentage, low yards-per-rush, low yards-per-attempt, low penalties. You want to be low in every category. The most important one is wins, the next most important one is points and there are a lot of other things that go along with that. Sure, you want to be better in everything that you’re doing. There is some relevance to that, some of it is circumstantial, some of it isn’t after 16 games and over 1,000 snaps – they mean something but I think you still have to go beyond the actual numbers to try to see what you’re really dealing with, especially if you want to try to change it or improve it, try to figure out exactly what it is that’s right or wrong. 

And if BB "went beyond the actual numbers" to see what went wrong, I bet execution would be his number one focus:

"We played 16 games, they [the Texans] played 17. You are what you are at this point.  It comes down not to plays, but to execution--how well you block, tackle, throw, catch, kick, run, and so forth. That's the big part of the game.  And that's why the teams playing at this time of the year are playing at this time of year: because they do those things pretty well.  I don't think it's a big X and O thing. I think it's more that the teams that play well, the players that perform well, those are the teams that will go on."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I had worried some about Upshaw earlier his year.  Didn't want to play him twice a season but not so much this year, Suggs is still hurt, Ngata it walking wounded, our O line is playing goodKi think we crush them and make a statement 

if they don't get up on us big early  by let's say a pick or a ST play they won't keep up with us. BB has the D playing good. I feel we have a better chance this year then last year. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Exactly. Wozzy doesn't seem to get that the argument he made repeatedly last year about the need to hold the ball longer is exactly the same argument that the number of drives matters, just in different words. Given that the game length is fixed at 60 minutes, longer drives mean fewer drives which means fewer scoring chances for your opponent.  

Wrong! It is not the "exact" same thing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

No need to tell BB, He already knows.

That's why he always preaches, according to Bru, G.T.F.B.B.

Yup, the initials GTFBB are everywhere, and he uses them all the time when talking to the D.

Get The F'n Ball Back!

Yup, possessions are important in a timed game, because time determines how many you get.  You don't want your D using it.  If your D is using it, that means your O cant.

Nothing complicated about it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

In response to TripleOG's comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Oh, yes. Thanks D for giving up 33% more first downs than the average NFL D, and letting Eli make you look like fools at the end to lose another SB for us. You definitely did "what you could".

How about you address the lack of scoring instead of blaming the defense for what the offense didn't do.  Both teams had the ball 9 times, actually the Pats had it one more possession than the Giant's with an Eli kneel down before the half... but again, instead of trying to deflect, deal with the facts.

The offense didn't score enough... period.

It had nothing to do with our lack of running game due to our best back riding the bench in the doghouse allowing the Giants Front 4 to Tee off on Brady from beginning to end of the game and this guy still managed to complete 16 straight passes and only struggled when he re-injured his Shoulder after the Tuck hit but STILL put his team in position to win BUT there 3 DROPS on that potential game winning drive. Yea all those things arent important to point out...Carry on Wozzy!  My question is why are you trying so hard to make the stats work for YOU. I will ask the same thing I did last week to our newest Brady basher. DID you Expect him to be perfect??? Do you realize Tom Brady is a human being???

You are making his point for him.

IF, as you correctly suggest, you can not expect Brady(GOAT) to be perfect then you absolutely should help him out and help protect him with NOT putting the whole thing on his arm.

Or... have a defense that hangs in there in the tough games and gets a stop at the end when given a lead.

Like EVERYONE doesn't already know this Babe?

The D was what EVERYONE knew them to be and was the same in that game (weak, poor, avg at best, pick your adjectives). The offense underachieved. It was what it was. It happens. We have to deal with it.

The Pats were stuck with the D going into the game. Not like you can change the personel with trades or high profile Free agents the 2 weeks leading to the superbowl. It was what it was and what they used all season to get them to the big game.

However the things they could control were 1) How they called the game. 2) Eliminate mental mistakes. 

They did not do either all that well.

I know this will get your knickers in a twist, and I am not wishing it to, but everyone is always speaking about FACTS and possessions here. Fact: Brady(GOAT), and best player on the team,  gave away two possessions and spotted the opposition 2 points with two costly mental mistakes(poor decisions). The intentional grounding and the very ill adviced and uneccessary, at that situational point in time, long bomb INT to gimpy Gronk.

I hated to write that because it sounds like I am blaming or picking on Brady and I assure you I am not and place no blame on the best player and chance the Patriots have of winning another SB but those were just a couple of FACTS as everyone wants to always say they are pointing out.

As you have said many times and I agree. Noone will fully understand or appreciate just how great Brady has been for us fans here in NE until he has retired.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

What BB actually said:

BB: No, I think there’s some relevance to some statistics. I don’t think they’re irrelevant but you have to be careful about putting too much on them but there’s some relevance to them. I’d rather be obviously high in wins, low in points, low third-down conversion percentage, low red-area percentage, low goal-line percentage, low yards-per-rush, low yards-per-attempt, low penalties. You want to be low in every category. The most important one is wins, the next most important one is points and there are a lot of other things that go along with that. Sure, you want to be better in everything that you’re doing. There is some relevance to that, some of it is circumstantial, some of it isn’t after 16 games and over 1,000 snaps – they mean something but I think you still have to go beyond the actual numbers to try to see what you’re really dealing with, especially if you want to try to change it or improve it, try to figure out exactly what it is that’s right or wrong. 

i.e., get the ball back to your offense, i.e., increase the offenses's number of possessions.  How any one could argue that is irrelevant in a game is incomprehensible.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Actually it pretty much is

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to themightypatriots' comment:

no it's not.

having a single possession drive that lasts 7 or 8 minutes or 4 possessions that in total combined lasts 7-8 minutes are not the same thing as it relates to the argument of "possessions". 

4 possessions does not necessarily give you more time of possession but it does potentially put your defense back on the field alot more.

That is why it is not the "Exact" same thing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

no it's not.

having a single possession drive that lasts 7 or 8 minutes or 4 possessions that in total combined lasts 7-8 minutes are not the same thing as it relates to the argument of "possessions". 

4 possessions does not necessarily give you more time of possession but it does potentially put your defense back on the field alot more.

Yes it is.  Time relates to possessions.  The amount of possessions are dictated by the time it takes to complete them.

1 drive of 8 minutes decreases possessions as 4 drives totaling 8 minutes increases possessions.

1 drive of 8 minutes means an ineffecient defense while 4 drives totaling 8 minutes indicates an ieffecient D.   They would be on the field more times but are spending no more time than  they would be for the one, 8 minute possession. (assuming those possessions are not quick strike scores for the other team)

Holding the ball ='s time lost='s possessions lost.

The only time a defense holding the ball would be a good thing (prevent) is at the end of the game, with a substantial lead.  Then you are using time to kill possessions for the other team.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

no it's not.

Yes it is.  Time relates to possessions.  The amount of possessions are dictated by the time it takes to complete them.

1 drive of 8 minutes decreases possessions as 4 drives totaling 8 minutes increases possessions.

1 drive of 8 minutes means an ineffecient defense while 4 drives totaling 8 minutes indicates an ieffecient D.   They would be on the field more times but are spending no more time than  they would be for the one, 8 minute possession. (assuming those possessions are not quick strike scores for the other team)

The only time a defense holding the ball would be a good thing (prevent) is at the end of the game, with a substantial lead.  Then you are using time to kill possessions for the other team.

Excuse me we are talking about our offense not the opposing teams.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Feels like we're trying to teach the alphabet to kindergardners.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Our defense has been the weak point not our offense.

Let me guess you must be one of those that assumes you only run a ball control offensive possesion when you are trying to keep a great offense of the other team off the field?

If the Pats have a comfortable lead they do not need a ton of extra possessions and score quickly they need to protect their "OWN" weak point and keep their own D off the field, within reason, while systematically paying attention to running some clock.

The time of possession "maintained" not specifically the number of possessions total is what is important at that point for your offense. Especially if you "supposedly" have a juggernaut offense lead by the greatest player of all time. You control and dictate the pace and the situation dictates in those circumstances you protect yourself by maintaining possession, as much as posible without becoming ultra conservative, therby shortening the game, AND keeping your weak point off the field for more time.

That is why people bring up the running thing. Not how often or how many runs OR posessions but managing and utilizing your strongest unit to the best benefit of the "TEAM" will give you the greatest chance of winning, in the appropriate situations.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

On average for a 16 game season...

Team A scores 35 ppg.

Team B scores 26 ppg

Team A allows 21 ppg

team B allows 25 ppg.

Which team is more likely to score more points while allowing leSS points in a 14 possession game? A 10 possession game? A 4 possession game.

Hint... Team A is the answer to all 3 questions.? The only factor that changes things is if one half of team A under performs.

As Bill Belichick just said in Prolates postabove points is the number one determining factor in the outcome of a game.

Class dismissed, you can go back to cheer leading now. Try not to drop anyone while executing the pyramid Formation.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

wait. you are calling me a kindergardner? lol Nice.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

On average for a 16 game season...

Team A scores 35 ppg.

Team B scores 26 ppg

Team A allows 21 ppg

team B allows 25 ppg.

Which team is more likely to score more points while allowing leSS points in a 14 possession game? A 10 possession game? A 4 possession game.

Hint... Team A is the answer to all 3 questions.? The only factor that changes things is if one half of team A under performs.

As Bill Belichick just said in Prolates postabove points is the number one determining factor in the outcome of a game.

Class dismissed, you can go back to cheer leading now. Try not to drop anyone while executing the pyramid Formation.

Here's what you don't understand.  Points per drive is a better indicator of an O's performance than points per game and possessions x's ppd ='s points.

A team will not score as many points with less possessions as a rule.

Decreased possessions means you HAVE to play mistake free.. Turn overs will hurt you more in an 8 possession game as opposed to a 12 possession game, because you have less opportunity to overcome them.

Just as a team with a higher ppd scores more with more possessions, they also LOSE them at a higher rate with decreased possessions.

Team A= 3pts per drive @ 12 drives ='s 36 points.

with 8 drives ='s 24 points.

Team B scores 2.75 points per drive with 12 possessions ='s 33 points

With 8 possessions ='s 22 points.

Team B closes the gap with less possessions and any mistake by team A can lose the game.

The difference in points with 8 possessions is 2 points.  A fg will win the game.  It would not with 12 possessions, as the difference is higher.

Simply put;

The Pats scored 17 points on 8 possessions.

The O lost 2 of those 8 possessions with the T/O's  which gives them 6 possessions  @ 3ppp or 18 points (Small margian of error)  Which is basically what they scored.  So the O lost 6 points by turning the ball over, twice.

However, the D lost 4 possessions with their inability to get off the field and lost a total of 12 points, 4x's 3, with the decreased possessions.

SO.......

17 points  + the 6 pts the O lost with T/O's + 12 points the D lost by decreasing the possessions ='s 35 points,, in a 12 possession game (which is their point per game average)

The O would have had to play mistake free in order to win the game (because the gints O did) (NO t/o's and no 3 and outs, THANKS, AGAIN, D!) and there was a differential of only 2 points. 

In a 12 possession game, not so much.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Here's what you don't understand.  Points per drive is a better indicator of an O's performance than points per game and possessions x's ppd ='s points.

A team will not score as many points with less possessions as a rule.

Decreased possessions means you HAVE to play mistake free.. Turn overs will hurt you more in an 8 possession game as opposed to a 12 possession game, because you have less opportunity to overcome them.

Just as a team with a higher ppd scores more with more possessions, they also LOSE them at a higher rate with decreased possessions.

Team A= 3pts per drive @ 12 drives ='s 36 points.

with 8 drives ='s 24 points.

Team B scores 2.75 points per drive with 12 possessions ='s 33 points

With 8 possessions ='s 22 points.

Team B closes the gap with less possessions and any mistake by team A can lose the game.

The difference in points with 8 possessions is 2 points.  A fg will win the game.  It would not with 12 possessions, as the difference is higher.

Simply put;

The Pats scored 17 points on 8 possessions.

The O lost 2 of those 8 possessions with the T/O's  which gives them 6 possessions  @ 3ppp or 18 points (Small margian of error)  Which is basically what they scored.  So the O lost 6 points by turning the ball over, twice.

However, the D lost 4 possessions with their inability to get off the field and lost a total of 12 points, 4x's 3, with the decreased possessions.

SO.......

17 points  + the 6 pts the O lost with T/O's + 12 points the D lost by decreasing the possessions ='s 35 points,, in a 12 possession game (which is their point per game average)

The O would have had to play mistake free in order to win the game (because the gints O did) (NO t/o's and no 3 and outs, THANKS, AGAIN, D!) and there was a differential of only 2 points. 

In a 12 possession game, not so much.

A B C D ...

Sections
Shortcuts