Ban Rusty Pact

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: Ban Rusty Pact

In response to tanbass' comment:

I suggest BB hires Texas Troll as his draft expert. Clearly BB doesn't have a clue, and Texas Troll would have us winning every superbowl since 04 with his expertise in the draft. Why is it that he doesn't already work for the Patriots is a real head scratcher.

RESPONSE: Thank you, once again...for yet another version and rendition of "In Bill We Trust".  Tanass...you should be posting in the "Homer" thread...not here. I'm sure that you're experience as a Homer would be invaluable on that issue...LOL!!!      

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

I suggest BB hires Texas Troll as his draft expert. Clearly BB doesn't have a clue, and Texas Troll would have us winning every superbowl since 04 with his expertise in the draft. Why is it that he doesn't already work for the Patriots is a real head scratcher.

RESPONSE: Thank you, once again...for yet another version and rendition of "In Bill We Trust".  Tanass...you should be posting in the "Homer" thread...not here. I'm sure that you're experience as a Homer would be invaluable on that issue...LOL!!!      

You sure do seem to crack yourself up there Texas Tool. We are all waiting for you to be hired by BB and his staff. I'm sure your expertise whining will win us more superbowls. Good luck with the interview....make sure you bring your tissues....Bill hates cry babies....

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to 232's comment:

Some posters just need a good beating or something.

Is this an attempt at being an internet tough guy? Good work....we are shaking.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

You sure do seem to crack yourself up there Texas Tool. We are all waiting for you to be hired by BB and his staff. I'm sure your expertise whining will win us more superbowls. Good luck with the interview....make sure you bring your tissues....Bill hates cry babies....

RESPONSE: And a pleasant good morning to you too, my friend! LOL!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

RESPONSE: Who are these "impact players" you claim he drafted, from 2006-09?

You don't think Mayo and Vollmer are impact players.  They've both been named to all-pro teams.

[QUOTE]

RESPONSE: So...you're saying that having 4 bad drafts in a row is acceptable...and even common place?? LOL!!

[/QUOTE]

No.  Read what I said more carefully.  I said all GMs have bad drafts. I didn't say it was good that BB's all came in a row.  I suggest you look at the draft history of any team since 2000.  I guarantee you will find many teams that have had 4 or more poor drafts.  They might not have come consecutively, but that isn't the point.  The point is that BB has had a few periods where he had good drafts for many years consecutively.  That isn't common either.  Maybe it would have been better for the team if the good and bad drafts had been divided more evenly, but that isn't really something you can complain about imo.

[QUOTE]

RESPONSE: BB's "early years" are irrelevant...since my crioticisms of him aren't based on his "early years". They're based on what he's done from 2006-present. 

[/QUOTE]

Again this is why I have trouble taking your opinion seriously on this topic.  Read what I said more carefully again.  I said even if you ignore the early years (which whether you like it or not is a form of cherry picking) that the Patriots have done an above average to elite job at acquiring talent.  Whether the metric is pro bowlers, all pros, starters or some sabermetric version of value (like CareerAV on profootballreference.com).  A number of analyses have been presented here on this topic.  The strawman rebuttals are amusing, but not relevant.

[QUOTE]

RESPONSE: So, let me get this straight. Because BB trades high picks to stockpile several lower picks excuses him from bombing out??

[/QUOTE]

No.  Again you are misquoting me (I sense a pattern).  It is an undeniable fact that on average lower picks have a lower chance of working out.  The strategy behind trading down is that you believe the decrease in the chance of the individual picks working out is offset by the increase in the number of picks.  So yes if you  have more picks and those picks are lower then you will probably have more misses.  The hope is that you will have more hits as well.  At the end of the day it is the quantity of good players you get out of the draft which matters not what percentage of your picks you hit on.  Consider this hypothetical example.  Suppose you have 2 first round picks and you trade them for 4 2nd round picks.  Now suppose the 2 1st round picks produce 2 good players and the 4 2nd round picks produce 3 good players.  If you just look at the percentages you'd think the 2 first round picks were better (2/2 vs 3/4), but anyone with a brain realizes that the team that got 3 good players got the better deal.

As I stated previously simply pointing out BB's missed picks alone is pointless.  He's had more picks than anyone because of his trading down so it isn't unexpected for him to have more misses.  The question is what have we gotten out of the draft and even if you limit the analysis to 2006-present the Patriots rank pretty well in most analyses that have been presented here that I detailed above.

[QUOTE]

RESPONSE: If BB the coach was as good as BB the GM, he would have been fired long ago. It is because BB is such a great coach, and Tom Brady such a great QB, that all of BB's drafting mistakes haven't taken their toll...except when the Pats play the better teams in the play-offs.

[/QUOTE]

This is your opinion.  Not a fact.  If Welker doesn't drop the ball then this entire argument goes out the window.  That team and the 2007 team were both good enough to win SBs.  More talent always helps, but there were larger issues in those games than talent differential imo.

[QUOTE]

RESPONSE: i believe that he was speaking about evaluating veteran players...not college prospects.

[/QUOTE]

No he wasn't.  Of course he posted that and now you called him a homer too.  Maybe not everyone who disagrees with you is an idiot like you claim.

[QUOTE]

RESPONSE: Really? Are you going to defend BB's horrid 2009 draft? No?? Why??

[/QUOTE]

Again read what I said.  The comment you were responding too said post-2009.

[QUOTE]

RESPONSE: Yes...but he was the 33rd overall pick in the draft...not the 229th. Teams can't afford to squander such valuable resources.

[/QUOTE]

It is still one pick.  By your definition then all of the teams that drafted busts in the 1st round or drafted players that haven't made an impact right after Dowling had bad drafts as well?  By that logic most of the NFL had a bad draft.

[QUOTE]

RESPONSE: For the 333rd time...my criticisms aren't of Wilson and Harmon personally. My criticisms are based on where in the draft they were selected. Bot were monumental reaches...poor value for the 48th overall pick in 2012, and the 91st overall pick in 2013. Heck...even BB's own scouts tried to talk BB out of taking Harmon so high.

[/QUOTE]

And for the 333rd time your "reach" criticism is silly.  No one will care if they were reaches if they become good players and we don't know that yet.  If you complained now that Vollmer and Mankins were reaches you would be laughed off the board.

[QUOTE]

RESPONSE: Stop it! All you see are his 4 interceptions...not his coverage dificiencies. If he's so great a prospect, why did BB feel it necessary to reach for yet another safety...Harmon...with his 91st overall pick this year?

[/QUOTE]

Or maybe Belichick realizes that in today's NFL with so much time spent in nickel and dime packages that it is necessary to have a rotation of DBs.

[QUOTE]

RESPONSE: You have insulted me by mischaracterizing what I'm saying...and by calling me a Mel Kiper parrott. My opinions on Harmon or anything else have nothing to do with Kiper. They are based on what I have seen in college games, what I have read in four draft publications, and my own observations and deductions. I'm tired of having to repeat myself over and over again to you Homers on these issues. I have consistently held this position regarding the Harmon pick. What is it that you cannot understand?

[/QUOTE]

You are the one that brought up Kiper not me and I never called you a parrot.  And whether you like it or not your opinion is going to be driven by "experts".  You aren't a scout and at no point have you claimed to have watched any film on Harmon.  You just said you read 4 different draft publications.  Who writes those?  Are you going to claim that if the "experts" had rated Harmon highly that you'd still be complaining about the pick?  And the point is that if Harmon becomes a good player no one will care that he was a reach.  If Sharrif Floyd busts do you think any Minnesota fan is going to care that he was a "steal".

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

We are all waiting for you to be hired by BB and his staff.

[/QUOTE]

Rusty likes to speak for the group all the time too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment: 

You are the one that brought up Kiper not me and I never called you a parrot.  And whether you like it or not your opinion is going to be driven by "experts".  You aren't a scout and at no point have you claimed to have watched any film on Harmon.  You just said you read 4 different draft publications.  Who writes those?  Are you going to claim that if the "experts" had rated Harmon highly that you'd still be complaining about the pick?  And the point is that if Harmon becomes a good player no one will care that he was a reach.  If Sharrif Floyd busts do you think any Minnesota fan is going to care that he was a "steal".

RESPONSE: In essence, you are still accusing me of parroting Kiper...when you say that my opinion "is driven by experts". Yes, I read four publications, watched some games, listened to what I could...and then...I put it all together, and reached my own opinion.

If a guy hasn't gotten it done in college, what makes you think that he'll suddenly is going to succeed in the pros? Everyone, including BB's own scouts, have said that Harmon could have been had in round 7, or as an undrafted FA. So...why did BB select him at #91? Because apparently, BB still believes that he can "manufacture" a safety. 

Who did BB listen to regarding Harmon? Certainly, not his scouts, who tried mightily to dissaude him from taking Harmon so high...with he 91st overall pick. BB overrode their recommendations...and now has Homers like you building a wall around him to shield him from criticism with the same ol' "In Bill We Trust" garbage.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I'm not going to bother quoting again because your annoying formatting for responding makes it a huge pain in the  a ss.  I noticed you didn't respond to most of my post, but to the portion you did respond to I have two things to say which I am getting tired of saying over and over again.  You keep dismissing my arguments about the draft with some form of "I'm not talking about 2000-2005".  That isn't responding to my point which you keep conveniently ignoring.  The whole point I'm making and continue to make is that your entire criticism is that BB had 4 poor drafts in a row.  I'm saying that 4 poor drafts over practically a decade and a half of running the dam team isn't unheard of.  No team has good drafts every year.  If you have a really good run like 2000-2005 it isn't unheard of to have a bit of a bad run.  It is called the LAW OF AVERAGES.  You are complaining about the timing and the timing alone.  I maintain that looking at the big picture that Belichick's cumulative draft history stacks up well against any other team over the same period and that he has done well since 2009.  You've already admitted the 2010 draft was good.  The 2011 draft produced Solder (who is a great young tackle), Vereen and Ridley who you've admitted are a solid tandem, a capable backup QB in Mallett and a reserve OL who would probably start if it wasn't one of the strongest units on the team in Cannon.  2012 produced Jones, Hightower and Dennard all who have a lot of promise and I think Wilson was a decent contributor in nickel and dime packages regardless of your feelings about him.  So yeah I think Bill has done alright for himself since 2009.

As for your feelings about Harmon I will just point out that your whole "he didn't get it done in college" line is complete crap.  He was named 1st team all big east 2 years in a row.  I don't know what kind of NFL player  he will be, but it is painfully obvious that you have never seen this kid play or know anything about him when you say things like that.  That's fine, but don't pretend that your opinion is anything more than what you didn't see in some draft publication.  And honestly stop being a dick and simplifying my arguments to some "In Bill We Trust" mantra.  I have never said anything of the sort with regards to the Harmon pick.  I said we should wait and see.  If you can't see the difference then you need to get a reality check.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

You keep dismissing my arguments about the draft with some form of "I'm not talking about 2000-2005".

What was so great about the 2000-2005 drafts other than getting the luckiest pick in NFL history and not blowing the #6 overall for Seymour?

Bottom line is Brady and the inherited players along with great coaching made the dynasty, not BB's team building. To the contrary, his team building has slowly brought the team down as the inherited players have gone.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

What was so great about the 2000-2005 drafts other than getting the luckiest pick in NFL history and not blowing the #6 overall for Seymour?

Bottom line is Brady and the inherited players along with great coaching made the dynasty, not BB's team building. To the contrary, his team building has slowly brought the team down as the inherited players have gone.

Brady, Seymour, Light, Graham, Branch, Green, Givens, Koppen, Samuel, Wilson, Warren, Wilfork, Mankins and Kaczur were all drafted in that period.  All of them played pretty big roles many on SB winning teams.  And that isn't even counting some of the smaller role players I left out.

As for your second point BB drafted those guys and brought in Vrabel, Colvin, Phifer, Smith, Dillon,  Harrison, Hamilton, Pleasant, Washington, Traylor, Patten, Poole as well as almost all of the offensive line on the 3 winning squads and some more role players.  You think we win 3 SBs without the contributions of the guys on these lists?  I have a bridge to sell you.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to tanbass's comment:

I dont get this argument. I mean I am not saying BB's draft have been horrible, but it seems as if Tex is just concerned at the sheer amount of resources put into trying to find a CB. Lets all be honest now, Its been a disaster. Everyone knows the draft is a crapshoot...BUT when u spend atleast one 1st day pick on the position year in and year out and still have no continuity, well you know where to look when your backups are being waxed by the Others teams WR's. BB has buried many of skeleton DBs behind Gillete stadium and meanwhile teams have built up their secondaries from scratch in 2 years while we are still searching for ONE reliable guy since Asante left which was also the only guy BB drafted and had real success at the CB position. ....smh. Maybe YOU need to stop drinking the kool aid and do some research. I'll say he is ok everywhere else but DB's and WR's to a certain extent have been very hard to come by

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

Without a doubt Bill almost always hits on his first round picks - at least he doesn't bust.  Many of those people listed were first rounders.  If your first rounders are not making an impact, you've got a problem.  Injuries are no excuse for drafting a guy with a history of injuries. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Bunker Spreckles' comment:

[QUOTE]

We are all waiting for you to be hired by BB and his staff.

Rusty likes to speak for the group all the time too.

Actually, I think 90% of the board, you know the normal, average fan who isn't sexually obsessed with Tom Brady, actually think very similarly with me and I with them.

[/QUOTE]

Conclusive proof of what I have said all along. You are a nutcase. Most of the board reviles you.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

Brady, Seymour, Light, Graham, Branch, Green, Givens, Koppen, Samuel, Wilson, Warren, Wilfork, Mankins and Kaczur were all drafted in that period.  All of them played pretty big roles many on SB winning teams.  And that isn't even counting some of the smaller role players I left out.

As for your second point BB drafted those guys and brought in Vrabel, Colvin, Phifer, Smith, Dillon,  Harrison, Hamilton, Pleasant, Washington, Traylor, Patten, Poole as well as almost all of the offensive line on the 3 winning squads and some more role players.  You think we win 3 SBs without the contributions of the guys on these lists?  I have a bridge to sell you.

[/QUOTE]

Other than the luckiest pick in NFL history and that #6 overall I mentioned the rest of the draftees you mention were not spectacular picks considering where they were taken. Though Samuel is overrated, he was a good find in the 4th round.

I think BB the GM didn't blow the dynasty by being a mediocre team builder, but he has blown the aftermath of the dynasty by fielding a mediocre team around Brady as the inherited impact players aged.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BunkerSpreckels. Show BunkerSpreckels's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Other than the luckiest pick in NFL history and that #6 overall I mentioned the rest of the draftees you mention were not spectacular picks considering where they were taken. Though Samuel is overrated, he was a good find in the 4th round.

I think BB the GM didn't blow the dynasty by being a mediocre team builder, but he has blown the aftermath of the dynasty by fielding a mediocre team around Brady as the inherited impact players aged.

[/QUOTE]

It wasn't luck.  BB sent Grier to check him out.  He knew he could get him in the later rounds and that he would quickly replace Bledsoe.  It was reported that BB had TB on his radar for a couple of years prior to drafting him.  No NFL GM has the connections to the college ranks like BB.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to BunkerSpreckels's comment:

It wasn't luck.  BB sent Grier to check him out.  He knew he could get him in the later rounds and that he would quickly replace Bledsoe.  It was reported that BB had TB on his radar for a couple of years prior to drafting him.  No NFL GM has the connections to the college ranks like BB.

this is ridiculous fiction even your legendary standards...wow almost sad

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

That is Phat Rex's Rusty impersonation account.  Rusty's was spelled Spreckles.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

That is Phat Rex's Rusty impersonation account.  Rusty's was spelled Spreckles.

ok i get those two confused-although to be honest phat does a good rusty because he would actually say something like this-when it comes to praising bellichick the sky is the limit for russ

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I agree it wasn't a great draft.  I'm not Rusty.  I think BB is a good drafter overall, but not the best ever and maybe not even the best active now. But inexcusably poor is an exaggeration. Vollmer alone saves the draft, never mind the pick used for Gronk the next year.

RESPONSE: Surely you jest. The pass-rusher that the team had been thirsting for, more than a guy that's been stranded in the desert for a week thrists for a glass of water...fell to him, in Clay Matthews. Jarius Byrd, the safety that could have filled the Death Valley hole in the Pats D also fell to him. But instead, BB choose Patrick Chung. Mike Wallace could have been the deep threat WR that's been so lacking in this offense...but instead BB chose Brandon Tate. 

Hindsight is 20-20.  There's an element of luck involved in any draft.  The prize could be behind door number two or door number three.  If it happens to be behind door three, this doesn't necessarily make the guy who picked door two a bad chooser or the guy who picked door three a good chooser.  It's merely luck.  Certainly Chung looked every bit Byrds' equal as a safety coming out of college (Byrd and Chung played in the same backfield at Oregon, with Chung a safety and Byrd a corner, and Chung was arguably the more accomplished).  Wallace was the 11th WR selected, so it's not like his talent was obvious.  And Matthews wasn't widely thought to be as good as he turned out to be.  Expecting BB to somehow predict that all those guys would exceed expectations and guys like Chung would fall short is a bit unrealistic.  

To say that selecting Vollmer at #58 "saved" the draft is absurd...especially when one considers how Vollmer's career has been slowed by a chronic back problem. As for "the Gronk Pick" excuse, Gronk surely could still have been had via a trade up, in 2010. The Pats had plenty of picks available in the 2010 draft.  

Sorry...but BB missed a golden opportunity to cure the main ills on this team...all in that one draft, in 2009. Had those picks had been made, the Pats likely would have won another SB. In addition, making the right picks in 2009 would have impacted future drafts. For example, with Byrd in hand, it's doubtful that BB would have felt the need to reach for Tavon Wilson, and/or Duron Harmon.    

I didn't like the Matthews trade either, but no one expected Matthews to be quite as good as he turned out.  If people had known, he would have been a top 10 pick.

RESPONSE: This is no excuse. As GM, it's BB's job to be right when he makes his picks. Instead, the trade-down netted the Pats nothing.   No GM no matter how good is close to 100% right with his picks. You are like a guy who criticizes a .360 hitter for not hitting .870.  

On DB picks, I tend to agree that BB has wasted a lot of mid round picks trying to gamble on finding an overlooked diamond.  He probably would have done better (in my opinion) to package a few picks and trade up for quality. But hindsight is 20-20 and trading up would have reduced picks, which may have hurt them in 2010 when the extra pick helped them get a haul. 

RESPONSE: Wasted mid-round picks?? FS Brandon Meriweather (1st round - 24th overall in 2007), CB Terrence Wheatley (2nd round - 62nd overall in 2008), CB Darius Butler (2nd round - 41st overall in 2009), CB Ras-I Dowling (2nd round - 33rd overall in 2011). Tavon Wilson (2nd round - 48th overall, 2012). 

You have to look at this thing holistically rather than focusing on individual moves. That's the only way to fairly judge drafting ability, because individual moves are frequently abberations from the norm.  You need to look at the whole picture over multiple years to really understand success or failure.

RESPONSE: I have done this previously on several occasions...listed all the top 100 failed selections BB has made, since 2006. BB's draft selections have been his Achilles heel. Even the polite, non-confrontational Mike Reiss has suggested that it's time for BB to hire a draft consultant.

Sections
Shortcuts