Ban Rusty Pact

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Ban Rusty Pact

In response to TexasPat's comment:

If BB the coach was as good as BB the GM, he would have been fired long ago. It is because BB is such a great coach, and Tom Brady such a great QB, that all of BB's drafting mistakes haven't taken their toll...except when the Pats play the better teams in the play-offs.

Truer words were never spoken here.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Even ZBellino has said to you that he thinks Bill is one of the top talent evaluators in the NFL.  Is he a homer too?

Z does tend to be a bit of a homer when it comes to BB. But I and many many other objective persons have repeatedly stated BB is a terrific talent evaluator for players he can directly coach. FAs and draftees - not so much.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Been away a few days, what did I miss?

---------------------------------------------

check out my Patriots photoshops @ patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com for some good laughs.

Photobucket

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I don't recall seeing many in here post that everyone should agree.  Unfortunately, what I do see all too often, TP, is that when someone disagrees with you they must be an idiot homer.  Is it not possible that they simply see matters differently from you?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

I don't recall seeing many in here post that everyone should agree.  Unfortunately, what I do see all too often, TP, is that when someone disagrees with you they must be an idiot homer.  Is it not possible that they simply see matters differently from you?

No...not when you read the reasoning for their stances. It all comes down to the same thing, time after time..."In Bill We Trust". 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

No...not when you read the reasoning for their stances. It all comes down to the same thing, time after time..."In Bill We Trust". 

Just wait a cotton pickin' minute TP.

I have complete and utter trust......

That BB is fully capable of creating and maintaining a mediocre team around Brady and coaching them up to be greater than the sum of their parts and in the end to be...

close but no cigar.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Even ZBellino has said to you that he thinks Bill is one of the top talent evaluators in the NFL.  Is he a homer too?

Z does tend to be a bit of a homer when it comes to BB. But I and many many other objective persons have repeatedly stated BB is a terrific talent evaluator for players he can directly coach. FAs and draftees - not so much.

Gimme a break Babe. I don't think BB *stinks* at drafting ... so I'm a homer?? Don't throw out words like that at me. It's rubbish posting. It's that same logic Rusty uses when you don't accept his "it's all Brady's fault for taking over the team" premise, and he resorts to calling you a Brady ball-washer. 

I don't think BB is bad at drafting because it's laughable assertion. Bad drafters don't put together HOF offenses. Stop and consider the teams out there that actually draft. Bad would be lower ten in the league. Average would be middle ten. Good is top ten. 

Where are the Bills, Fins, Jets, Colts, Jags, Titans, Chiefs, Raiders, Chargers, Cowboys, Redskins, Bears, Vikings, Panthers, Bucs, Cards, Rams, Falcons, Ravens, Steelers, drafts picks that are of the caliber of Gronk, Hern, Solder, Vollmer, Ridley, Jones, et al.   

Is he the best? No. He isn't. He's had major issues staffing CB and S. The bottom line is that he hasn't had the premium picks to get pass rushers, and has really only devoted two selections to that position. 

Is he one of the better guys in the league? Yeah, yeah, he is. 

Chain yourself to watching terrible teams for a full season, follow them from the draft up. Like the Panthers, or worse, the Jets. 

Sorry, dude. You can be critical of a player, coach, etcetera, without resorting to hyperbole, which is what saying BB is a terrible talent evaluator amounts to. It's an exageration meant to bolster an argument beyond what the facts can sustain. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

Gimme a break Babe. I don't think BB *stinks* at drafting ... so I'm a homer?? Don't throw out words like that at me. It's rubbish posting. It's that same logic Rusty uses when you don't accept his "it's all Brady's fault for taking over the team" premise, and he resorts to calling you a Brady ball-washer. 

RESPONSE: I really haven't seen any evidence of you being a Homer. As I recall, you are one of the "objective persons" which Babe refers to above...who sees BB as a terrific talent evaluator for veteran players...and his own players. 

I don't think BB is bad at drafting because it's laughable assertion. Bad drafters don't put together HOF offenses. Stop and consider the teams out there that actually draft. Bad would be lower ten in the league. Average would be middle ten. Good is top ten. 

RESPONSES: Just how responsible were BB's drafts for building a "HOF offense"...which, I take it, you're referring to the 2007 group, to present?

1.) QB: The HOF offense begins and ends with Tom Brady, who...lets' face it...was a gift from the Football Gods, with the 199th pick, in the 2000 NFL draft. Though BB still must be given credit for drafting Tom, the main credits should be awarded for seeing enough in Brady in his rookie year to give him a roster spot as, I believe, a 4th QB...and then coaching him up. Being an excellent talent evaluator of his own players, BB soon knew what he had in Brady. Then, BB had the courage of his convictions (another thing that I admire in BB) to play Tom...sitting down a very good, proven NFL quarterback in Drew Bledsoe, in the process.

2.) RB: In 2006, the Pats selected RB Laurence Maroney. Though Maroney had his moments, unfortunately, he was inconsistent, and, eventually, his career imploded after he was gripped by a severe case of fumble-itis.

RB Kevin Faulk was a second round pick in 1999, as year before BB arrived. RB Danny Woodhead was signed after the Jets foolishly released him, in 2010. RBs Stevan Ridley and Shane Vereen, both high draft picks in 2011, made progress last season, and appear to be a solid tandum.

3.) WR: After the disappointment in 2006, BB made a decision to focus on souping up his passing attack, rather than administering to a defense was was deteriorating due to old age. To his credit, he traded three 2007 draft choices, to acquire veteran WRs Randy Moss, and Wes Welker. He got Moss for the 110th overall pick in 2007, and Welker, for the 60th and 228th overall picks...in two of the most one-sided trades in NFL history. BB's ability to evaluate veteran talent shone through, again...not his drafting prowess. In fact, the year before, in 2006, BB traded his 52nd and 75th overall picks to move up to 36th overall, in order to draft awful WR Chad Jackson.

In 2010, after seeing his offense look completely inept without Wes Welker in the 2009 playoff loss to the Ravens, BB traded up slightly to snatch TEs Rob Gronkowski away from the Ravens, and then marijuana using Aaron Hernandez, with his 113th overall pick. The 2010 draft saved BB and the Pats, after the awful 2009 draft nearly destroyed the future of the Brady Era.    

4.) OL: Logan Mankins was at first seen as a questionable pick pick at #32, in 2005, since few knew about him, and he was an OG. But, Mankins has proved to be a gem. BB got his OC and RG off "the scrap pile" of undrafted free agents and/or late round draft picks (Dan Koppen). He selected LT Matt Light with his second round draft choice in 2001, and usually got his RT off the "scrap heap", as described above. Much credit for the OL success the Pats have had must go to Dante Scarnechia, one of the finest OL coaches in NFL history.

As stated above, the 2009 BB draft was a disaster, with the exception of RT Sebastien Vollmer, taken with the 58th overall pick, that year. When healthy, albeit a rare occurence, Vollmer is a superb player. At LT, BB drafted Nate Solder with the 17th overall pick in the 2011 draft. But, let's not forget how BB acquired that #1 draft choice, used to land Solder. After the 2009 season, he traded a fading, aging Richard Seymour to the Oakland Raiders for a the Raiders' #1 draft choice, in 2011. Thus, I look at the Solder acquisition more as a product of BB's ability to evaluate veteran players, rather than him being a draft wizard. Though it's been done, it's hard to mess up with such a high draft choice.             

Where are the Bills, Fins, Jets, Colts, Jags, Titans, Chiefs, Raiders, Chargers, Cowboys, Redskins, Bears, Vikings, Panthers, Bucs, Cards, Rams, Falcons, Ravens, Steelers, drafts picks that are of the caliber of Gronk, Hern, Solder, Vollmer, Ridley, Jones, et al.

RESPONSE: Here, you're starting to sound like a Homer. The Steelers have reeled in WR Mike Wallace, OC Maurkice Pouncey, OLB Lamarr Woodley, ILB Lawrence Timmons, WR Antonio Brown, and WR Emmanuel Sanders.

The Falcons?? QB Matt Ryan, WR Julio Jones, SS William Moore, LB Sean Weatherspoon, LT Sam Baker.

The Rams appear to be on the upswing. They've recently added through the draft QB Sam Bradford, WR Chris Givens, DT Michael Brockers, MLB James Laurinatis, and CB Janoris Jenkins...plus whatsc appears to be a good draft class in 2013, thanks to the RG3 deal. 

If the Cards can ever find a QB, they too could become a dangerous team. 

The Colts are a playoff caliber team, because they've added a franchise QB in Andrew Luck. Once a team has a franchise QB in place, it's a lot easier to draft...because a team is freed from having to worry about the most important position on the field. Ditto the Redskins, if RG3 is healthy.

Ravens?? QB Joe Flacco and RB Ray Rice both were acquired in the 2008 draft. WR Torrey Smith (2011), OT Michael Oher (2009), OG Kelechi Osemele (2012), OC Gino Gradkowski (2012), OG Marshall anda (2007), TE Dennis Pitta (2010), CB Lardarius Webb (2009).       

Is he the best? No. He isn't. He's had major issues staffing CB and S. The bottom line is that he hasn't had the premium picks to get pass rushers, and has really only devoted two selections to that position. 

RESPONSE: Sorry. Not buying this excuse. Every year, teams find top talent in rounds after round one. The Ravens have certainly out-drafted the Patriots over the past 5 years...and they aren't picking in the top 10.

RESPONSE: Overall, yes. But, his 2009 poor draft alone nearly ruined the remainder of the Brady era. Of late, he has developed the annoying/wasteful habit of using high draft choices to reach for guys who no one else has rated so highly...including over-riding his own scouting department recomendations. This is disturbing. Why are the Pats paying the guys in their scouting departments, if they have no faith in their opinions? There's something very "Jerry Jones" about that.  

Chain yourself to watching terrible teams for a full season, follow them from the draft up. Like the Panthers, or worse, the Jets. 

RESPONSE: More Homer talk.

Sorry, dude. You can be critical of a player, coach, etcetera, without resorting to hyperbole, which is what saying BB is a terrible talent evaluator amounts to.

RESPONSE: This is not what Babe has said. He credits BB for being a very good evaluator of veteran talent and of his own players...as I do. But, he's shown too much of an inclination to gamble on players with athleticism, but who, for whatever reason, haven't produced biog numbers in college. He also has gambled a bit too much on players with injury histories (Ras-I Dowling, Terrence Wheatley, and, even Gronk). He also still believes, despite a lengthy list of failures, that he can "manufacture" a safety. 

It's an exageration meant to bolster an argument beyond what the facts can sustain.

RESPONSE: Unfortunately, the facts sustain that BB has a lengthy list of draft busts with top 100 picks...from 2006-present.  

Finally...and I'm sure you know this...having even a "HOF offense" does not win SBs. There must be at least a good defensive unit to accompany that. It is here that BB has failed. He has used a multitude of high draft choices on CBs and safeties...and yet his secondary, year after year, has been awful...to the point where BB desperately had to add the skilled, but troubled CB, Aqib Talib, to pull his chestnuts out of the fire last season. In the NFL, it's not enough to build up on one side of the ball. As we saw in the Manning Era in Indy, that strategy doesn't win championships. 

UOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

... ([{oigsh}])...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

RESPONSE: I really haven't seen any evidence of you being a Homer. As I recall, you are one of the "objective persons" which Babe refers to above...who sees BB as a terrific talent evaluator for veteran players...and his own players. 

RESPONSES: Just how responsible were BB's drafts for building a "HOF offense"...which, I take it, you're referring to the 2007 group, to present?

1.) QB: The HOF offense begins and ends with Tom Brady, who...lets' face it...was a gift from the Football Gods, with the 199th pick, in the 2000 NFL draft. Though BB still must be given credit for drafting Tom, the main credits should be awarded for seeing enough in Brady in his rookie year to give him a roster spot as, I believe, a 4th QB...and then coaching him up. Being an excellent talent evaluator of his own players, BB soon knew what he had in Brady. Then, BB had the courage of his convictions (another thing that I admire in BB) to play Tom...sitting down a very good, proven NFL quarterback in Drew Bledsoe, in the process.

2.) RB: In 2006, the Pats selected RB Laurence Maroney. Though Maroney had his moments, unfortunately, he was inconsistent, and, eventually, his career imploded after he was gripped by a severe case of fumble-itis.

RB Kevin Faulk was a second round pick in 1999, as year before BB arrived. RB Danny Woodhead was signed after the Jets foolishly released him, in 2010. RBs Stevan Ridley and Shane Vereen, both high draft picks in 2011, made progress last season, and appear to be a solid tandum.

3.) WR: After the disappointment in 2006, BB made a decision to focus on souping up his passing attack, rather than administering to a defense was was deteriorating due to old age. To his credit, he traded three 2007 draft choices, to acquire veteran WRs Randy Moss, and Wes Welker. He got Moss for the 110th overall pick in 2007, and Welker, for the 60th and 228th overall picks...in two of the most one-sided trades in NFL history. BB's ability to evaluate veteran talent shone through, again...not his drafting prowess. In fact, the year before, in 2006, BB traded his 52nd and 75th overall picks to move up to 36th overall, in order to draft awful WR Chad Jackson.

In 2010, after seeing his offense look completely inept without Wes Welker in the 2009 playoff loss to the Ravens, BB traded up slightly to snatch TEs Rob Gronkowski away from the Ravens, and then marijuana using Aaron Hernandez, with his 113th overall pick. The 2010 draft saved BB and the Pats, after the awful 2009 draft nearly destroyed the future of the Brady Era.    

4.) OL: Logan Mankins was at first seen as a questionable pick pick at #32, in 2005, since few knew about him, and he was an OG. But, Mankins has proved to be a gem. BB got his OC and RG off "the scrap pile" of undrafted free agents and/or late round draft picks (Dan Koppen). He selected LT Matt Light with his second round draft choice in 2001, and usually got his RT off the "scrap heap", as described above. Much credit for the OL success the Pats have had must go to Dante Scarnechia, one of the finest OL coaches in NFL history.

As stated above, the 2009 BB draft was a disaster, with the exception of RT Sebastien Vollmer, taken with the 58th overall pick, that year. When healthy, albeit a rare occurence, Vollmer is a superb player. At LT, BB drafted Nate Solder with the 17th overall pick in the 2011 draft. But, let's not forget how BB acquired that #1 draft choice, used to land Solder. After the 2009 season, he traded a fading, aging Richard Seymour to the Oakland Raiders for a the Raiders' #1 draft choice, in 2011. Thus, I look at the Solder acquisition more as a product of BB's ability to evaluate veteran players, rather than him being a draft wizard. Though it's been done, it's hard to mess up with such a high draft choice.             

RESPONSE: Here, you're starting to sound like a Homer. The Steelers have reeled in WR Mike Wallace, OC Maurkice Pouncey, OLB Lamarr Woodley, ILB Lawrence Timmons, WR Antonio Brown, and WR Emmanuel Sanders.

The Falcons?? QB Matt Ryan, WR Julio Jones, SS William Moore, LB Sean Weatherspoon, LT Sam Baker.

The Rams appear to be on the upswing. They've recently added through the draft QB Sam Bradford, WR Chris Givens, DT Michael Brockers, MLB James Laurinatis, and CB Janoris Jenkins...plus whatsc appears to be a good draft class in 2013, thanks to the RG3 deal. 

The Colts are a playoff caliber team, because they've added a franchise QB in Andrew Luck. Once a team has a franchise QB in place, it's a lot easier to draft...because a team is freed from having to worry about the most important position on the field. Ditto the Redskins, if RG3 is healthy.

Ravens?? QB Joe Flacco and RB Ray Rice both were acquired in the 2008 draft. WR Torrey Smith (2011), OT Michael Oher (2009), OG Kelechi Osemele (2012), OC Gino Gradkowski (2012), OG Marshall anda (2007), TE Dennis Pitta (2010), CB Lardarius Webb (2009).       

RESPONSE: Sorry. Not buying this excuse. Every year, teams find top talent in rounds after round one. The Ravens have certainly out-drafted the Patriots over the past 5 years...and they aren't picking in the top 10.

RESPONSE: Overall, yes. But, his 2009 poor draft alone nearly ruined the remainder of the Brady era. Of late, he has developed the annoying/wasteful habit of using high draft choices to reach for guys who no one else has rated so highly...including over-riding his own scouting department recomendations. This is disturbing. Why are the Pats paying the guys in their scouting departments, if they have no faith in their opinions? There's something very "Jerry Jones" about that.  

Sorry, dude. You can be critical of a player, coach, etcetera, without resorting to hyperbole, which is what saying BB is a terrible talent evaluator amounts to.

RESPONSE: This is not what Babe has said. He credits BB for being a very good evaluator of veteran talent and of his own players...as I do. But, he's shown too much of an inclination to gamble on players with athleticism, but who, for whatever reason, haven't produced biog numbers in college. He also has gambled a bit too much on players with injury histories (Ras-I Dowling, Terrence Wheatley, and, even Gronk). He also still believes, despite a lengthy list of failures, that he can "manufacture" a safety. 

It's an exageration meant to bolster an argument beyond what the facts can sustain.

RESPONSE: Unfortunately, the facts sustain that BB has a lengthy list of draft busts with top 100 picks...from 2006-present.  

Finally...and I'm sure you know this...having even a "HOF offense" does not win SBs. There must be at least a good defensive unit to accompany that. It is here that BB has failed. He has used a multitude of high draft choices on CBs and safeties...and yet his secondary, year after year, has been awful...to the point where BB desperately had to add the skilled, but troubled CB, Aqib Talib, to pull his chestnuts out of the fire last season. In the NFL, it's not enough to build up on one side of the ball. As we saw in the Manning Era in Indy, that strategy doesn't win championships. 

UOTE]

While the 2009 draft was not BB's best, it did not come close to ruining the remainder of the Brady era. One weak draft isn't that significant.  Plus it resulted in a very solid tackle, some decent depth type players, plus picks that helped the Pats acquire Gronk the next year. And the draft class was simply not a talented one--there just wasn't a whole lot of blood that could be squeezed from that stone.  Here's how ESPN described the 2009 draft while reviewing it this April:

Garbage. Seriously. Gar-BAHZGE.

That was my thought after looking over the 2009 NFL Draft. My esteemed editor asked (mandated) that I redo the entire first round. Truth be told, I had never fully examined this four-year-old raid of the great college marketplace.

I wasn't missing anything.

Neither are the Dallas Cowboys, who, after seeing Victor Butler depart last week, also took a last look at their 2009 draft class. The 'Boys made a league-high 12 selections in '09 -- none of those players remain on the roster today. That's horrible.

Then again, so was the rest of the draft. None of the first 25 players taken have ever been named first-team All-Pro. (Matthew StaffordBrian Orakpo and Brian Cushing have come the closest.) Only one guy from the entire first round has received the honor:Clay Matthews (26th overall pick) following the 2010 season. In fact, the saving grace of this draft might be the number of decent players who came after Pick 200, including Mr. Irrelevant, Ryan Succop.

Sure, there are some quality names below. And we did our best to fill each team's needs (except for theCowboysPatriots and Bears, who didn't have first-round picks). Still, compared to say, the 2008 NFL Draft, the '09 version bites the big one. That year boasted Jake LongChris LongMatt RyanJerod MayoRyan CladyJoe FlaccoChris JohnsonDuane BrownBrandon FlowersRay RiceJamaal CharlesCliff AvrilBrandon CarrCarl Nicks and Stevie Johnson, to name a few.

So with that in mind, please hesitate before complaining about your team's do-over pick lacking typical first-round flashiness -- there just wasn't much of it to go around in 2009. That is, unless you have a Mark Sanchez Fathead on your wall.

Also, this idea that BB is reaching isn't borne out by the facts.  Tavon Wilson so far seems a reasonable pick where he was taken. And Harmon hasn't been tested yet so it's too early to tell.  Just because a guy isn't written up in pre draft publications isn't a reason to assume he's a reach. You don't know what real team scouts are thinking. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to Bunker Spreckles's comment:

Sorry, dude. You can be critical of a player, coach, etcetera, without resorting to hyperbole, which is what saying BB is a terrible talent evaluator amounts to. It's an exageration meant to bolster an argument beyond what the facts can sustain. 

Overall, who is better, though?   Of course he's the best. He's turned over many a roster for over a decade and went 11-5 with a back up QB who hadn't taken a snap since high school. Highest winning % since 2001, 2007, 2010, you name it.  None of these stupid premises would be surfacing if Brady and our offense hadn't underperformed in SB 42 and SB 46. Brady will take those to his grave if he doesn't improve from here on out.

Please stop.    No GM is absolutely perfect, but clearly and I mean VERY clearly, no GM has had the consistency and success combining the draft and the market for FAs or UDFAs like BB has in his tenure here.

GOAT as a coach and GM.  You just don't realize it yet.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to Bunker Spreckles' comment:

In response to APpats21's comment:

Overall, who is better, though?   Of course he's the best. He's turned over many a roster for over a decade and went 11-5 with a back up QB who hadn't taken a snap since high school. Highest winning % since 2001, 2007, 2010, you name it.  None of these stupid premises would be surfacing if Brady and our offense hadn't underperformed in SB 42 and SB 46. Brady will take those to his grave if he doesn't improve from here on out.

Please stop.    No GM is absolutely perfect, but clearly and I mean VERY clearly, no GM has had the consistency and success combining the draft and the market for FAs or UDFAs like BB has in his tenure here.

GOAT as a coach and GM.  You just don't realize it yet.

I believe it was hasnt started since high school.

Figure of speech.  FOr emphasis. I fully realize he tooks snaps in preseason or in blowout games at USC, etc.

Point was made.  If it was just all about Brady, Cassell wouldn't have had a chance to improve over 2008 and our other players, the many of them, either drafted, signed or cultivated by BB's great coaching, wouldn't have contributed in such big ways.

Some want to believe the stupid media argument that Brady has made or covered for BB. It's insulting to my (or any Pats' fan's) intelligence.

And there it is!  The real reason you detest Brady.

Many, not just the media, are questioning BB's so called genius and giving the nod to TB.

Hell, even people in TEXAS are questioning it.  All I hear is TB is great but what's wrong with that defense?????

Troy Aikman  "Worst defense I've ever seen in a SB" 

Did TB put together the D too?

You know, with all that influence and sabotage.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Did Texas Troll just say the Ravens have just outdrafted the Pats the "last 5 years".  LOL!!

Absolutely false.   If that was true, they wouldn't have panicked and raced out to buy all these FAs this offseason after losing so many.

FACT.

Texas Troll is so clueless, it's beyond laughable.  All of a sudden the Ravens are the flavor of theday because Ray Ray announced he would retire and the team rallied around it.  lmao

Rusty...who won the SB last year?? LOL!!! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

UOTE]

While the 2009 draft was not BB's best, it did not come close to ruining the remainder of the Brady era. One weak draft isn't that significant.  Plus it resulted in a very solid tackle, some decent depth type players, plus picks that helped the Pats acquire Gronk the next year. And the draft class was simply not a talented one--there just wasn't a whole lot of blood that could be squeezed from that stone.  Here's how ESPN described the 2009 draft while reviewing it this April:

Garbage. Seriously. Gar-BAHZGE.

That was my thought after looking over the 2009 NFL Draft. My esteemed editor asked (mandated) that I redo the entire first round. Truth be told, I had never fully examined this four-year-old raid of the great college marketplace.

I wasn't missing anything.

Neither are the Dallas Cowboys, who, after seeing Victor Butler depart last week, also took a last look at their 2009 draft class. The 'Boys made a league-high 12 selections in '09 -- none of those players remain on the roster today. That's horrible.

Then again, so was the rest of the draft. None of the first 25 players taken have ever been named first-team All-Pro. (Matthew StaffordBrian Orakpo and Brian Cushing have come the closest.) Only one guy from the entire first round has received the honor:Clay Matthews (26th overall pick) following the 2010 season. In fact, the saving grace of this draft might be the number of decent players who came after Pick 200, including Mr. Irrelevant, Ryan Succop.

Sure, there are some quality names below. And we did our best to fill each team's needs (except for theCowboysPatriots and Bears, who didn't have first-round picks). Still, compared to say, the 2008 NFL Draft, the '09 version bites the big one. That year boasted Jake LongChris LongMatt RyanJerod MayoRyan CladyJoe FlaccoChris JohnsonDuane BrownBrandon FlowersRay RiceJamaal CharlesCliff AvrilBrandon CarrCarl Nicks and Stevie Johnson, to name a few.

So with that in mind, please hesitate before complaining about your team's do-over pick lacking typical first-round flashiness -- there just wasn't much of it to go around in 2009. That is, unless you have a Mark Sanchez Fathead on your wall.

Also, this idea that BB is reaching isn't borne out by the facts.  Tavon Wilson so far seems a reasonable pick where he was taken. And Harmon hasn't been tested yet so it's too early to tell.  Just because a guy isn't written up in pre draft publications isn't a reason to assume he's a reach. You don't know what real team scouts are thinking. 

/QUOTE]

RESPONSE: Just when I praise you for being reasonable, you come up with a dumb post like this. The 2009 draft was a disaster. First...the Pats missed out on the pass-rusher they so badly needed...and still need, in Clay Mathews. Next, the Pats wasted the 34th overall pick on a SS who couldn't cover a pin-hole with a bed sheet, on the rare occasions when he was healthy. In taking Patrick Chung, they passed on another DB who played with Chung at Oregon, and was drafted a few picks later by the Buffalo Bills...named Jarius Byrd. Then came the disasterous Ron Brace and Darius Butler picks...ensuring that the Pats secondary would continue to suck, and that Vince Wilfolk would have no help clogging up the middle of the line of scrimmage. Finally, the Pats selected another injury prone collegiate in WR Brandon Tate, with the 83rd overall pick. Immediately thereafter, the Steelers would use the 84th overall pick on WR Mike Wallace. Can you imagine how lethal the Pats' offense would have been with Wallace stretching the field? With Jarius Byrd filling that sink hole at safety, and with Clay Matthews bringing the heat from the outside?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I never said BB was bad or terrible at anything. And I merely said you were a BIT of a homer in ONE aspect.

Talk about rubbish posting. At least get what I have said right.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

RESPONSE: Just when  praise you for being reasonable, you come up with a dumb post like this. The 2009 draft was a disaster. First...the Pats missed out on the pass-rusher they so badly needed...and still need, in Clay Mathews. Next, the Pats wasted the 34th overall pick on a SS who couldn't cover a pin-hole with a bed sheet, on the rare occasions when he was healthy. In taking Patrick Chung, they passed on another DB who played with Chung at Oregon, and was drafted a few picks later by the Buffalo Bills...named Jarius Byrd. Then came the disasterous Ron Brace and Darius Butler picks...ensuring that the Pats secondary would continue to suck, and that Vince Wilfolk would have no help clogging up the middle of the line of scrimmage. Finally, the Pats selected another injury prone collegiate in WR Brandon Tate, with the 83rd overall pick. Immediately thereafter, the Steelers would use the 84th overall pick on WR Mike Wallace. Can you imagine how lethal the Pats' offense would have been with Wallace stretching the field? With Jarius Byrd filling that sink hole at safety, and with Clay Matthews bringing the heat from the outside?

If that draft was loaded with talent and the Pats ended up with the guys they got it would have been a disaster.  But that draft stunk.  Sure, there were a few good players mixed in with all the dross, and it would have been great if the Pats had struck on one or two more, but there's a large element of luck in finding the good players among all those poor players.  The Pats picks were generally as good as or better than the majority of the players picked near them.  Sure you can find a few players (like Wallace and Byrd) who ended up much better than the other guys picked near them, but it's unreasonable to expect BB to always find those few exceptional players and completely avoid picking guys whose talent is average for the point in the draft in which they are being picked. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

RESPONSE: Just when  praise you for being reasonable, you come up with a dumb post like this. The 2009 draft was a disaster. First...the Pats missed out on the pass-rusher they so badly needed...and still need, in Clay Mathews. Next, the Pats wasted the 34th overall pick on a SS who couldn't cover a pin-hole with a bed sheet, on the rare occasions when he was healthy. In taking Patrick Chung, they passed on another DB who played with Chung at Oregon, and was drafted a few picks later by the Buffalo Bills...named Jarius Byrd. Then came the disasterous Ron Brace and Darius Butler picks...ensuring that the Pats secondary would continue to suck, and that Vince Wilfolk would have no help clogging up the middle of the line of scrimmage. Finally, the Pats selected another injury prone collegiate in WR Brandon Tate, with the 83rd overall pick. Immediately thereafter, the Steelers would use the 84th overall pick on WR Mike Wallace. Can you imagine how lethal the Pats' offense would have been with Wallace stretching the field? With Jarius Byrd filling that sink hole at safety, and with Clay Matthews bringing the heat from the outside?

If that draft was loaded with talent and the Pats ended up with the guys they got it would have been a disaster.  But that draft stunk.  Sure, there were a few good players mixed in with all the dross, and it would have been great if the Pats had struck on one or two more, but there's a large element of luck in finding the good players among all those poor players.  The Pats picks were generally as good as or better than the majority of the players picked near them.  Sure you can find a few players (like Wallace and Byrd) who ended up much better than the other guys picked near them, but it's unreasonable to expect BB to always find those few exceptional players and completely avoid picking guys whose talent is average for the point in the draft in which they are being picked. 

Half the guys taken in round 2 of the 2009 draft were better than either Chung, Butler or Brace. That's not terrible drafting, but it's not even average.

And of course the big knock is BB's trading down.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

RESPONSE: How may times has BB picked the wrong guys, when it comes to DBs? The Pats desperately needed a pass-rusher. So, the skies light up, and Clay Mathews falls to BB. But, he decides to trade down. He then compounds that mistake by selecting with the 83rd overall pick a WR, Brandon Tate...who was coming off a serious knee injury, to the point where he had to be redshirted during his rookie year...and a guy who was dumb enough to smoke marijuana just before the Combine, when he knew he would be drug tested. This, when the fastest player in the draft, Mike Wallace, who didn't have similar injury or character issues, could have been had.

Sorry...but BB's performance in that particular draft was inexcusably poor...and the Patriots have suffered dearly for it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Half the guys taken in round 2 of the 2009 draft were better than either Chung, Butler or Brace. That's not terrible drafting, but it's not even average.

And of course the big knock is BB's trading down.

I agree BB didn't have a great draft, I just think Tex is being hyperbolic when he says that draft nearly ruined the remainder of the Brady era. I mean they did come out of the second round with a pretty good right tackle.  And Chung, though he was a disappointment in the end, was hardly a bad pick given his college career.  He was a teammate of Byrd's at Oregon and considered at least Byrd's equal.  Plus, as a hard hitter, he fit the mold better than Byrd did, who was seen more as a ballhawking corner than the strong safety type Chung seemed to be.  In the end, it wasn't a great pick for the Pats, and therefore you can't say it was a great move by BB. But it wasn't a dumb move.  At the time most thought it was a good pick. 

Butler was maybe more of a flyer, but was Sean Smith clearly better at the time?  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

RESPONSE: How may times has BB picked the wrong guys, when it comes to DBs? The Pats desperately needed a pass-rusher. So, the skies light up, and Clay Mathews falls to BB. But, he decides to trade down. He then compounds that mistake by selecting with the 83rd overall pick a WR, Brandon Tate...who was coming off a serious knee injury, to the point where he had to be redshirted during his rookie year...and a guy who was dumb enough to smoke marijuana just before the Combine, when he knew he would be drug tested. This, when the fastest player in the draft, Mike Wallace, who didn't have similar injury or character issues, could have been had.

Sorry...but BB's performance in that particular draft was inexcusably poor...and the Patriots have suffered dearly for it.

I agree it wasn't a great draft.  I'm not Rusty.  I think BB is a good drafter overall, but not the best ever and maybe not even the best active now. But inexcusably poor is an exaggeration.  Vollmer alone saves the draft, never mind the pick used for Gronk the next year.  I didn't like the Matthews trade either, but no one expected Matthews to be quite as good as he turned out.  If people had known, he would have been a top 10 pick.  

On DB picks, I tend to agree that BB has wasted a lot of mid round picks trying to gamble on finding an overlooked diamond.  He probably would have done better (in my opinion) to package a few picks and trade up for quality. But hindsight is 20-20 and trading up would have reduced picks, which may have hurt them in 2010 when the extra pick helped them get a haul. You have to look at this thing holistically rather than focusing on individual moves.  That's the only way to fairly judge drafting ability, because individual moves are frequently abberations from the norm.  You need to look at the whole picture over multiple years to really understand success or failure.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

I agree it wasn't a great draft.  I'm not Rusty.  I think BB is a good drafter overall, but not the best ever and maybe not even the best active now. But inexcusably poor is an exaggeration. Vollmer alone saves the draft, never mind the pick used for Gronk the next year.

RESPONSE: Surely you jest. The pass-rusher that the team had been thirsting for, more than a guy that's been stranded in the desert for a week thrists for a glass of water...fell to him, in Clay Matthews. Jarius Byrd, the safety that could have filled the Death Valley hole in the Pats D also fell to him. But instead, BB choose Patrick Chung. Mike Wallace could have been the deep threat WR that's been so lacking in this offense...but instead BB chose Brandon Tate. 

To say that selecting Vollmer at #58 "saved" the draft is absurd...especially when one considers how Vollmer's career has been slowed by a chronic back problem. As for "the Gronk Pick" excuse, Gronk surely could still have been had via a trade up, in 2010. The Pats had plenty of picks available in the 2010 draft.  

Sorry...but BB missed a golden opportunity to cure the main ills on this team...all in that one draft, in 2009. Had those picks had been made, the Pats likely would have won another SB. In addition, making the right picks in 2009 would have impacted future drafts. For example, with Byrd in hand, it's doubtful that BB would have felt the need to reach for Tavon Wilson, and/or Duron Harmon.    

I didn't like the Matthews trade either, but no one expected Matthews to be quite as good as he turned out.  If people had known, he would have been a top 10 pick.

RESPONSE: This is no excuse. As GM, it's BB's job to be right when he makes his picks. Instead, the trade-down netted the Pats nothing.   

On DB picks, I tend to agree that BB has wasted a lot of mid round picks trying to gamble on finding an overlooked diamond.  He probably would have done better (in my opinion) to package a few picks and trade up for quality. But hindsight is 20-20 and trading up would have reduced picks, which may have hurt them in 2010 when the extra pick helped them get a haul. 

RESPONSE: Wasted mid-round picks?? FS Brandon Meriweather (1st round - 24th overall in 2007), CB Terrence Wheatley (2nd round - 62nd overall in 2008), CB Darius Butler (2nd round - 41st overall in 2009), CB Ras-I Dowling (2nd round - 33rd overall in 2011). Tavon Wilson (2nd round - 48th overall, 2012). 

You have to look at this thing holistically rather than focusing on individual moves. That's the only way to fairly judge drafting ability, because individual moves are frequently abberations from the norm.  You need to look at the whole picture over multiple years to really understand success or failure.

RESPONSE: I have done this previously on several occasions...listed all the top 100 failed selections BB has made, since 2006. BB's draft selections have been his Achilles heel. Even the polite, non-confrontational Mike Reiss has suggested that it's time for BB to hire a draft consultant.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

I suggest BB hires Texas Troll as his draft expert. Clearly BB doesn't have a clue, and Texas Troll would have us winning every superbowl since 04 with his expertise in the draft. Why is it that he doesn't already work for the Patriots is a real head scratcher.

Sections
Shortcuts