Banta-Cain

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan24-7. Show Patsfan24-7's posts

Banta-Cain

This guy had another sack today and four tackles. It seems like hes one of our most consistent players. He brings it. He has 9.5 sacks this year, if he can muster up another sack next week that will put him at 10.5 for the season. In this league if a pass rusher can get double digit sacks thats borderline "elite". He was once considered an after-thought as a pass rusher, and viewed as a solid special teams contributor. Now he is our best pass rusher, and it looks like he will be part of the core of this team for the next few years. Everyone talks about how we need to improve our pass rush, i think we just have to find someone to replace Adalius Thomas, and keep TBC. Banta-Cain is only getting better, we need to add someone so we can have a formidable outside pass rush, like the chargers, cowboys, steelers and colts do.

I think Banta Cain is a good start though..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Re: Banta-Cain

TBC has done enough to deserve props.  I'm very surprised, as are the 49ers.  I get a feeling he will step it up even further in the playoffs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

The Pats seem to be mixing up the front 7 for the past few weeks.....  Hopefully the change in strategy (ie non-vanilla) will help the D become more effective!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

You know, there are very few first year wonders. Granted there are some players who make an impact their first season, but thats probably what, less than 2% of players?

Most take time to make the adjustment to the Pros and we all know that coaching has something to do with it. Most people need a few seasons to realize their potential.

Now maybe TBC is a one year wonder.....who knows....but you gotta like how he has played. I for one will ride his shirt tails and see what he can do. He's deserved it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Most impressive to me are his plays in the running game.  He's making plays in pursuit to stop runs for no gain that he really has almost no business making.  The guys is all over the field. He's become a force.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

4Adam - I am not sure, but from your post it almost sounds like you think TBC is a rook. He has been in the league for 7 years, the first 4 with the Pats. He left as an FA (I believe) to the 49'ers and came back to the Pats after being released by them this year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

first of all, ive been very impressed with TBC all year.
    second, 4Adam13 is an ignorant fcuk.  happy holidays btch.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

@4Adam...TBC is having a great year with the Pats...but im not hardly surprised.  I always liked his game when he played in NE.  I didnt really follow him when he left to SF, but I will certainly say I was happy to see him come back.

@Patsfan...I agree Pats need another guy to get to the QB.  Now TBC is not "elite" I think teams will have to start giving him attention especially if VW continues to be out.  I think they will try to throw another body on him. 

Mike Wright has also been playing pretty good as well as Ninkovich.  I think If the Pats can pick up an effective pass rusher in the draft they will continue to improve on the defensive side of the ball.  But right now NE has alot of good 2nd option pass rushers, no primary pass rushers aside from TBC.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I have to admit I was very wrong about Tully. I knew he was a good pass rusher but never thought he had what it takes to be a good run defender. He has done an excellent job at setting the edge against the run as of late and I'll gladly give it up for the guy.

On a side note. Did anyone notice Adalius Thomas actually looked like he cared out there this week?

Stranger and Stranger!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

The guy has been playing lightsout, he knows how quickly life in the NFL can change.  The best thing that happened to him was go to SF learn from one of the top three LBs in NFL history.
    He has become a solid OLB not just a pass rusher, great FA pickup.  also a plus, he loves wearing the patriots uniform.  AD can learn a few things from Tully.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

I can remember when the pats brought him back,and all the moans and groans from many fans.many were saying dead wood would win the job,and banta would get cut.thank god banta started,and he is a diffrence maker.havent heard dead woods name this year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I can remember watching TBC when he first started to play here and thought he'd be nothing but a special teams guy and hoping he'd turn out to be a Izzo type. I didn't even think much of it when he left saying oh well we have Alexander and Woods and they were similiar players, not a big lose. Boy was I wrong, this kid has a lot of talent and is not just rushing OL and TE's but is actually setting them up with moves to use later in the game. I was shocked when I saw a break down of his rushing and fake blitzes and how he was working the OL to the point where later in the game he could actually almost place them where he wants. That's the sign of a great OLB. Hopefully he cares it on to the playoffs and next year but resigning him to an extension was one of the smartest things BB has done.

I mean is this really happening? Did BB just completely rebuild the D in the matter of 3 years without anyone noticing and it bearly missing a beat? Just resign Wilfork and Bodden and we'll have a set young scary D for years to come. BTW Vollmer could be the steal of the draft. How did this guy get out of the top 15 let alone be called a stretch when the Pats took him? Sorry Light you were great but your money could be spent resigning Bodden, Wilfork, and Mankins.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

tbc knows the system is more mature now and is having a solid year...when he was here before he was second on the depth chart but played regularly...so it is not a surprize really... i think boden will want big bucks after this year and though he has been consistent and relaible he is no shut down corner we have some really low picks coming up and you can be sure we are not done rebuilding the d...but the blocks are now in place...now we need some playmakers...like a crazy good outside linebacker end...(freeny) then we would be scary for the next several years...moss will have to redo his contract if he wants to stay...thomas is history..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

banta cain is locked up for a couple more years.this is a good thing.i hope they work on boddens before the free agency.hopefully bodden figures out that he is only good in certain systems,and not ask for crazy money.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from boom95. Show boom95's posts

Add TBC to system players, and he is in the right system. On this D he is one of the better players, if this were 03-04 im not so sure. He does his job well , they need to add another pass rusher which will only make him more effective! Peppers anyone?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Add an OC and an OC for DE

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

TBC was always decent at the pass rush.....  before he left the pats as a FA, he had, 6 or 7 sacks....  where he has improved VASTLY is his run defense which makes him much more complete.......

Case in Point....2006 AFC Championship Game.... Not sure if TBC touched the field....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I can still remember when people were bemoaning the loss of Vrabel because NE couldn't get a replacement to get pressure like his whopping 4 sacks. 

I also said any of the young guys full time would get more than four. TBC proved that theory.

That said, his all around play against the run, the screen, and dropping back, has been impressive. 

If NE can get anything *close* to the effort we have seen from Burgess and Thomas in the playoffs, this defense will be very tough. 

It looked for a while like those two, or one of those two, were taking plays off. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

I'm pretty sure in the 06 AFC game. TBC's arm hit gayton in the head givin a 1st down on a incomplete pass.

With out looking it up. I think Tully had 1 sack for a safety while in SF. 

Tully could have put up Vrabel's #'s from 07. If teams were playing from 2/3 scores down this year. When OLB's can just pin their ear's back for sack's stats will change.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

EnochRoot - I didn't mean to imply that at all. What I meant was that he wasn't overly productive his first couple years which was why the Pats let him go originally. He didn't really seem to find himself in SF and now after having several years of solid experience, he seems to have found his way.

Fowler - Mighty mature response there. You still ticked off that Maroney isn't the half the player you wish him to be? Don't get mad at me because you didn't like my analysis of his texas two step.

Sections
Shortcuts