Battle: Red Zone (Advantage: Saints?)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Battle: Red Zone (Advantage: Saints?)

Stat check heading into week 12 against the Saints:

I don't think the Patriots' disadvantage is necessarily their defense - they've allowed opponents to reach their red zone 13 less times than the Saints, which is why their %TD's-allowed percentage is higher.  They have in fact given up one less touchdown in the red zone than the Saints over the course of the season.

I think the major disadvantage is offense.  The Saints have had 9 more red zone scoring opportunities and capitalized 14 more times than the Patriots (32/49 vs. 18/40).

I'm a little worried that this game will play out a lot like the Colts game, right down to the Patriots settling for field goals or otherwise failing to convert red zone opportunities into touchdowns (as in turnovers) that end up accounting for the difference at the end of the game.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Re: Battle: Red Zone (Advantage: Saints?)

umm, the Patriots numbers are skewed by the fact Brady had to acclimate himself as the season began. Patriots don't look at these numbers and dwell on the past. they look at the right now and who is coming next. Saints almost lost to the Bucs i believe and the Patriots will put on a offensive show in the Dome, while BB confuses Brees all night long.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

I choose the Pats, IF they get their play calling straight.  They bog down because they get too conservative down there.  Plus the running game is heating up.  I do not think the Saints match up to the Pats offense ofr overall weapons.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

In Response to Re: Battle: Red Zone (Advantage: Saints?):
    umm, the Patriots numbers are skewed by the fact Brady had to acclimate himself as the season began. Patriots don't look at these numbers and dwell on the past. they look at the right now and who is coming next. Saints almost lost to the Bucs i believe and the Patriots will put on a offensive show in the Dome, while BB confuses Brees all night long.
    Posted by freediro

Actually, the Saints crushed the Bucs 38-7 in Tampa Bay.

As for the poll, I voted the Saints and not only because I am Saints fan.  I have followed the Patriots for years and have always rooted for them on the AFC side of the table.  But, I have to agree with the rational in the original post.  The Saints routinely turn redzone opportunities into seven points, while exhibiting one of the best redzone defenses in the league.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Even if you ignore Brady's early games, the Pats still are fairly lackluster in the red zone; offense and defense.  They will need to do better.  They will also need to play the 2nd half the same way they play the 1st half.

This team still reminds me of our championship teams.  I can't really say why; just an uninformed, totally speculative hunch.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Redzone offense is what Sammy Morris is for. When you need to pick up 2-5 yards with a small field of play, you will need a big RB like Sammy, Dillion,(Pierre) Thomas, Peterson. 

If Fred Taylor plays, there is no way the Patriots lose this game. If he doesn't, it's going to be a close game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

In Response to Re: Battle: Red Zone (Advantage: Saints?):
    Posted by freediro

free

The Saints beat the Bucs by like 30 points last week.  But yeah, the Dome will be a good thing for the Pats too.   

Sections
Shortcuts