BB and his bend but don't break defense philosophy needs to change!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

BB and his bend but don't break defense philosophy needs to change!

BB has had good defenses, at times great defenses.  When he was with the Giants during their SB run in 1990 the Giants D looked great but how couldn't they with LT, Harry Carson, Carl Banks, Everson Walls to name a few.  That D was stacked.  But he almost blew it!  The Giants were winning and BB put the D in the bend but don't break scheme late in the game when they had the lead.  He almost blew it with this as they were giving up everything to Jim Kelly.  I remember seeing Parcells marching down the sideline towards Bill and yelling at him to what my guess was to tighten up the D which they finally did and stopped the bills forcing them to kick and miss the game winning field goal.  Giants won 20-19. 

Everytime the Patriots get a lead it seems BB puts in the same D scheme which almost cost the Giants the SB back in 1990.  It doesn't work!!  It almost always ends up costing the Patriots the game when he does this.  I get flashbacks of that Giants Bills game and Parcelles getting on BB about it whenever he does this.  Has he not learned this over the years?  Why stop what's working? He needs to stay away from the bend but don't break Defense.  It doesn't work, it does break, almost all the time. This has been a huge D downfall over the years and he still uses it.  WHY?

Discuss!  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from manowar333. Show manowar333's posts

Re: BB and his bend but don't break defense philosophy needs to change!

Couldn't agree more... that concept is bent and broken.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

What's the name of your boat?

What's the name of BB's boat?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

I honestly don't understand either, he must have some sort of reasoning. No am sure he has a long list of stats that help him make these decisions. Maybe it's the personnel he has, for example out current Patriots roster is full of guys who will get burned if we play an aggressive D and the receivers break free. 

Its frustrating to watch but BB had been successful for a long time anbests been like this for a long time. Now I jushas it back and enjoy the ride.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

The reasoning is BB doesn't want to give up a quick score and let other teams get back into the game. He's deathly scared of the big play (which is ironic because the Pats give up more 20+ yard plays in the 2nd half then any other team in the league right now). IMO his logic is death by a thousand papercuts. If it takes them 8+mins to score by keeping everything infront of you they will eventually bleed out their time. However, the last couple years have shown that the Pats tend to go in with a commanding lead but give up more points then they did in the previous half using this strategy. BB himself admits he can be stubborn on some philsophy's so don't expect it to change, but I think the fear is coming from him not trusting in his younger D. We saw when he had vet D's in the early 00's he remained aggressive until the end of the game. I have a feeling once he gains more confidence in the D we'll see less and less of the prevent and more of the aggressive D that seems to work fairly well in the early portions of the game

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:

The name of my boat is No Ring Since 2004

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Some good input here.  I would like to hear him talk about the bend but don't break defense.  It would be amazing to hear him explain why he uses it, I'm sure he would say something like... it is a solid philosiphy if it is executed properly, and clearly it is in his mind.  Yet a lot of the time it isn't executed properly and it bites them in the butt. 

I can understand that there is less of a chance that a big play will happen and will take time off the clock by having the other team drive the field instead of a quick big play.  But this can backfire too.  Taking time off the clock like that could also not give them any time to get the ball back and score if the other team does drive the field and scores.  Almost happened in the Giants Bills SB that I mentioned.  Stick to the plan all game if it is working, imo. Don't change to the bend but dont break if the other D game plan has been working.  Stay agressive.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Oh I get it, your like one of those Jets fans who can't admit faults with his team.  While BB is one of the GOATS, it doesn't mean he does everything right. 

Do you really disagree with these comments?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

I would like to also hear him discuss Emmanuel Kant and Nitzche and the critical dialectic between Hegel and Marx; I have a better chance on the above than hearing him discuss game strategy

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

In response to shenanigan's comment:

The name of my boat is No Ring Since 2004

The name of my boat is no rings until BB got here.  He's one of the greatest defensive coaches of all time.  He's not perfect but I'm not going to start sharpshooting the complexities of his defensive schemes since I'm just a schmo who sits home and watches the game not a paid coaching professional.

Ive also never heard BB refer to his scheme as bend but don't break.  Sometimes bad defense is just bad, not a plan.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Mighty - not everyone who questions BB's decision is a troll. It's alright to question some of his decisions, he's not perfect. BB himself has admitted to mistakes that were questioned on this forum. Recently it was the 4th and 5 call in which he publicly admitted his mistake. Philosphy wise he's either come out in public admitting his mistake (Not drafting Mathews because he didn't fit his size requirements, something this forum questioned for years) or was more subtle by his actions (questioning going to the end of a rook contract for key players, funny how recently he resigned Hern, Gronk, Mayo well before their rook contracts were up. Or, moving up to get a pass rushing front 7 instead of moving back in which this year he moved up twice to get a couple of players know for pass rushing ability)

It's ok to question him on a public forum with legitimate question like watching a prevent D giving up more points in just over a quarter then they did in almost 3 quarters with a more aggressive style of D. None of us want to replace BB or think he's an awful coach (well maybe one or two people) but as fans we demand perfection and when something isn't working to that perfection it's ok to question if something needs to be adjusted. The prevent D is a perfect example since it doesn't seem to prevent big plays, nor does it prevent scoring, nor does it seem to cause the opposing team extra time in order to score all of which a prevent defense is suppose to stop (well maybe not the scoring part). If it's not working it might not be the game plan that's wrong but the players not being able to execute. But, isn't that the coaches job to put a plan in place that the players can execute? And if a plan isn't working isn't it the coaches job to adjust the plan until it does?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

the fact of the matter is the defense was our strength in the playoffs last year and in 07....if the offense could score on the giants defense, the pats would have 5 rings....not scoring for most of the second half is unacceptable, only so much you can expect from your defense....eli was clutch, brady wasnt....end of story.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I think simplifying BB's approach on D to bend don't break is an oversimplification.  The difference between the defenses on our SB winning teams and our most recent defenses is that the SB winning defenses bent and broke a hell of a lot less and that is due more to personnel and the rule changes than anything from a schematic standpoint.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

eli was clutch, brady wasnt....end of story.

This is an oversimplification imo.  In both losses to the G men our offensive line was dominated by their front 4.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SANPAT. Show SANPAT's posts

I dont have a boat.

Hey Mighty,

you calling TFB12 a troll is the most ridiculous thing I have read here ever...

TFB12, keep up the good work as always...this board is dying... anyother board for us pats fans u know of?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

eli was clutch, brady wasnt....end of story.

This is an oversimplification imo.  In both losses to the G men our offensive line was dominated by their front 4.

this is true.....but look at the play eli made to tyree....he was nearly sacked and managed to complete that pass....yes alot of it was luck....but it still happened....the pass rush wasnt the only reason the pats offense was stagnant in both of the super bowls....there was the maroney fumble, the welker drop, the brady safety, as well as brady overthrowing wide open receivers repeatedly....i thought he played well in this past year's super bowl, but he didnt close the deal.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

the fact of the matter is the defense was our strength in the playoffs last year and in 07....if the offense could score on the giants defense, the pats would have 5 rings....not scoring for most of the second half is unacceptable, only so much you can expect from your defense....eli was clutch, brady wasnt....end of story.

The D rarely got the ball back to the O so that they could score and gave up the lead with mere seconds left in the game.  There is no disputing this. This is fact and in the books.

The D's job is to allow less points than the O scores and get the ball back, so that they can score.  They did neither. Glad you enjoyed it though.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Guys it was on both sides of the ball that the Pats failed and that's why they lost.

The D couldn't get of the field which limited the amount of possessions the O got and gave up to many points for the limited amount of possessions the other team had (because of long time consuming drives). They also failed on the last series giving up large chunks of yards preventing the game from being closed out

The O couldn't stay on the field and capitilize on limited possessions. Their point per series average was well below their yearly or even post-season average. It's hard for a D to hold <7 point lead the entire game. The O also failed to affectively run out the clock or put the game out of reach by going up multiple scores even though they had opportunities to do such. Seriosly the D shouldn't have even had to go on the field with so much time left to defend. 2 more 1st downs and it was over, 1 more would have given the Giants less then 2mins to drive the length of the field. 1 more first and a FG would have forced the Giants to score a TD with less then 2 mins on most likely a touchback on the kick off.

In the end both sides of the ball failed to do their jobs and that's why they didn't win

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

if you want to be apologists to the offense in the super bowls thats fine.....in my opinion, scoring 17 and 14 points in a whole game for an offense led by tom brady is unacceptable, espescially when they are giving the other team two points to start off the game.....if you guys really think brady is one of the all time greats, you would not be satisfied with his effort in the last two super bowls he was in. maybe im just holding him to a higher standard than you guys, but the way i see it is that the offense was putting up 30+ almost every game during the regular season and the defense was even worse then....so when the defense gets better in the playoffs, they should have been able to score more points right? nope, they scored less.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to SANPAT's comment:

I dont have a boat.

Hey Mighty,

you calling TFB12 a troll is the most ridiculous thing I have read here ever...

TFB12, keep up the good work as always...this board is dying... anyother board for us pats fans u know of?

Thanks!  btw, I'm going to tough it out here.  Some other forums are pretty big, have a hard time trying to keep tabs on who is who.  This one is small enough to be able to remember most people here and I like that.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts