BB and the waiver situation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

BB and the waiver situation

I just want to throw something out there regarding the initial 52 man roster and BB's possible thinking:
    First off: No way we enter the season with the 27/22 defense/offense breakdown - just too imbalanced.
    BB really liked his rookie/first year players on defense and knew that other teams also were seeing what he saw. Teams all cut down to 53 and this weekend is going to be a free for all of claims, but all those claimed players have to be placed on the 53 with corresponding cuts. That is great for 8 days out from opening day as you have a week to start their training and your evaluation. BB doesn't get much value out of making a claim because only the Giants trail him in the order so for the most part he can wait 24 hours and then bring guys in for tryouts and contract talks. (the Pats are one of a very select few teams that players would wait on before signing elsewhere)
    So this weekend while everyone is claiming and cutting and claiming and cutting, BB is just waiting the frenzy out.
    Come sometime early next week BB signs some additional players and ends up cutting a few defenders with PS eligibility. Teams are already 2,3,4 days into game prep and working with their shiny new toys they claimed. The chance for someone claiming an OK rookie and having to make another cut in the middle of game prep goes down.
    I think two DL players are likely to get cut next week and quite possibly Rivera and one of the DBs. And I would not be surprised at all if Branch was resigned on Wednesday or Thursday either.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: BB and the waiver situation

I think he left one slot open so he can pick up a desirable offensive player today (WR, FB, or OL) without having to let anyone else go.  I think your analysis is correct that he'll make final adjustments later in the week and that may include bringing Branch or Gaffney or both back.  Waters will also probably come back later since he's safely protected for now. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Re: BB and the waiver situation

Don't you just love watching Belichick manipulations and how he's playing 'chess' while others are still playing 'checkers'.  That's just one of the factors that has contributed to the Patriots being in 5 Super Bowls in the past 10 years.