BB Defensive Genius..NOT!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: BB Defensive Genius..NOT!

In Response to Re: BB Defensive Genius..NOT!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: BB Defensive Genius..NOT! : It's not about "who I'd rather have" It's about a fresh perspective. Believe me, there are PLENTY of good football people out there..not just BB, and other teams do win championships WITHOUT BB! I'm not going to bark up the Bill Cowher tree (although he'd be a good fit) but there are also good coordinators that are always viable candidates for head coaching jobs (Rob Ryan comes to mind) as well as college (look at what Jim Harbaugh is doing) so don't tell me there is no alternative to the great Bill Belichick
    Posted by smorgan86[/QUOTE]

Kraft would get run out of town if he fired the most successful coach in franchise history while the team continues to win.  Does it really matter if there is an alternative?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

I can't wait for all these idiots to try and sneak back on the wagon, after BB gets this team back on track and he will trust me, he's been to good for this team, I'll stand by him 100%.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

[QUOTE]They've had multiple goal line stands this year, INTs in the end zone, etc. I say it's better than last year's because it clearly is. As for Mendenhall, Pitt had a good gameplan. They attacked our new secondary and we couldn't off the field. Just look at the games when we run it or don't turn it over.  Our Run D and Red Zone D is very good. I am not counting garbage time TDs in Miami or Oakland either. As for the CBs, I have no idea why he's signed or cut who he has, but I just thought Adams looked pretty good in man coverage on Sunday. I just go by eyes. Pats 3rd down D oustanding the last 3/4 games. 
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

To me the problem going with eyes that it everything comes down to a matter of opinion. Clearly, plenty of other people are watching this defense and not seeing what you are seeing.

The Red Zone is better than it was last year. That much is true. However, it is still not good or even above average in this year's NFL. 

I watch the same games as you and poor DB play. To me both of the pass interference penalties in the Giants game were caused by being out of position.

We clearly have very definitions of very good. To me "very good" is top 10 or even top 5 in the league, and our run and red zone defenses to not qualify for either of those (I look at yards per carry vs yards per game especially when we are one of the least run against teams in the league).

I would assume all teams have better defensive stats when the team does not turn the ball over. Do you know what a great defense does? They give you a good record even when you have a -11 turnover differential. The Steelers are the worst in the NFL in that stat, but are still 6-3. The had the only turnover in the Pats game, did not run the ball and still won.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BB Defensive Genius..NOT! : How long are do we have to listen to the fact that he has 5 rings! So what?? What does that have to do with NOW. Mike Shanahan has rings, Bill Parcells has rings, Don Shula has rings..do you want any of them coaching the Pats?? That means NOTHING.

It means more that your worthless opinion. Were you even out of diapers before he took over the team?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

[QUOTE]I can't wait for all these idiots to try and sneak back on the wagon, after BB gets this team back on track and he will trust me, he's been to good for this team, I'll stand by him 100%.
    Posted by southnpatsfan[/QUOTE]

Their all spoiled little children just like all those pink hat Sox fans that jumped on in 2004.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]I can't wait for all these idiots to try and sneak back on the wagon, after BB gets this team back on track and he will trust me, he's been to good for this team, I'll stand by him 100%.
    Posted by southnpatsfan[/QUOTE]

What bandwagon are you referring to, the BB bandwagon?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Benkarkis. Show Benkarkis's posts

I think it's hard to admit to the above fanatics that the team is NOT Super Bowl caliber anymore. Because the AFC is so weak, they still might make the playoffs. Especially with that gut schedule.

Even with their weaknesses at this point only the Steelers, Ravens, and Jets are better.  The Bills are going downhill.

The fact is the Steelers have stayed dominant since 2000.  Yes, they had one mediocre year recently.

The DEFENSE is a huge problem MR. KING.  You are correct the D line is better and getting better.  The LBs have ZERO depth and Mayo is their only stud.  The secondary, too many holes.  Even with Chung.  Arrington is ok, up and down. The D is probably better this year and the O is worse.  So we can agree on certain things.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

I'd suggest to you for a number of reasons that Houston
     - With Foster and Tate
     - A returning Andre Johnson
     - An improving defense

may be better than the pats. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BB Defensive Genius..NOT! : What bandwagon are you referring to, the BB bandwagon?
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Both, sick an tired of all the people wanting BB head on a platter and want to dump half the O an D

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BB Defensive Genius..NOT! : Wouldn't you agree Brady coul;d have been better in a non-shotgun base D in these games: Buffalo Dallas Pitt NYGs ?? I don't want anything dumped on the O, just for people to be used better to help Brady!
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE

My biggest bit@chright now, I think the play calling sucks, look how little Wes, Gronk an Aron was used

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BB Defensive Genius..NOT! : Absolutely.  The only issue is, there are some many frauds and pink hats here, the list will be too long to remember all the names. Usually, when your opinion is the exact opposite of Mazz/Felger/Gasper, et al, you know you have the right analysis.

Okay Russ, add me to your black list or pink list or whatever list your keeping of us frauds.
    I really use to like you Russ, even with your sarcastic and childish posts, you still knew the game well. Now, as others present facts on why this defense absolutely stinks, you still say it is not the case. I am not sure if it's a case of not wanting to believe, or perhaps believing so much that Brady and the Offense have their problems, as you have stated endlessly on so many occasions, that the defense can't possibly be that bad?

Lets compare the 2 Units and you tell me Russ which Unit has it's issues....

Offense
    5th ranked in scoring
    2nd ranked in yards per game
    1st in pass yards per game
    17th in rush yards per game

Defense
    20th in points allowed
    32nd in yards allowed
    32nd in pass yards allowed
    9th in rush yards allowed

In every defensive cateogry, they are either at the bottom or in the bottom 3rd of the league, less rush yards allowed. I'm happy we are 9th in rush yards, but once again, this is a passing league. If we can't stop the pass, we can't stop teams. Being 20th in points allowed is nothing to be proud of.

I know you like to argue stats, and point to "Well, they look like they are making more goal line stops than last year....", but I don't think the numbers lie. We have a bad defense overall, with the worst secondary in the league, a decent DL, and a mediocre LB corps. BB the GM didn't do this team any favors on the defense.

Please tell me I am wrong Russ. I want to believe our defense is good and our offense is the reason for all of our problems, but it just doesn't look that way, at least from a statistical standpoint.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to BB Defensive Genius..NOT!:
    [QUOTE]Can we PLEASE stop talking about this guy like he is a defensive mastermind. It's just silly when you keep rolling out some of the worst defenses in the NFL. STOP already. You know who you can give that title to?? Guys like Dick Labeau. Proof is in the pudding..and I hate the Steelers but they ALWAYS have a good if not great defense.
    No matter how good your schemes, if you do not have the horses to execute, they do not work.  I simply do not think the D has been executing BB's vision.  Look at what was seen out of Haynesworth in the Giants game.  Right player in the right place but the player is not "playing". 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BB Defensive Genius..NOT! : Maybe. Long season. Houston (new) has never been to the playoffs. They don't really have any experience of any kind, which is a huge problem, assuming they make it. Daniel Manning is about the only player with playoff experience on the entire roster.
    Russ - I'll admit that I would give a huge advantage to the pats for at least some playoff experience.  Realize that many pats players don't have much of that experience.  Read somewhere that only 9 were on the SB Loss team. That said, Belichick's and the coaching staff's experience, Brady, Welker, Branch, etc.  get a huge advantage for knowing what its like and what it takes to win. 

Houston essentially has none of that.  But on a talent level basis they may be better. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to BB Defensive Genius..NOT! : No matter how good your schemes, if you do not have the horses to execute, they do not work.  I simply do not think the D has been executing BB's vision.  Look at what was seen out of Haynesworth in the Giants game.  Right player in the right place but the player is not "playing". 
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

And who picks the players?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

What I read here is a lot of denial and wishful thinking. Haynesworth is gone. That experiment was a failure as is Ochocinco. Again, some believe that magically BB will have the team up and running by the end of the season. It has been seven years since we won the title! Get real! This team in second tier. 3 weeks ago Bruschi said the Jets are dead. Now they are tied for first. The Pats are weak on defense and on the offensive line. With a weak O line Brady gets happy feet and misses wide open receivers, such as in Pittssburgh and against the Giants. Wish it wasn't true but this year looks like the last three. Maybe they really are in a rebuilding mode, but if so, BB needs to change his drafting philosophy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]He didn't forget how to coach. Evaluating talent and his scouts is an entirely different story. Either way he has a big hand in the defenses decline.
    Posted by tompenny[/QUOTE]

thanks for saying tom

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]What I read here is a lot of denial and wishful thinking. Haynesworth is gone. That experiment was a failure as is Ochocinco. Again, some believe that magically BB will have the team up and running by the end of the season. It has been seven years since we won the title! Get real! This team in second tier. 3 weeks ago Bruschi said the Jets are dead. Now they are tied for first. The Pats are weak on defense and on the offensive line. With a weak O line Brady gets happy feet and misses wide open receivers, such as in Pittssburgh and against the Giants. Wish it wasn't true but this year looks like the last three. Maybe they really are in a rebuilding mode, but if so, BB needs to change his drafting philosophy.
    Posted by boomerst3[/QUOTE]

" This team in second tier. "

the rose colored glasses are off finally for some. just seeing it as it is (honestly) is a little refreshing.

"if so, BB needs to change his drafting philosophy."

no ifs about it in my mind. philosophy, scouts, draft room decisionmakers, the works

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to BB Defensive Genius..NOT! : You mean Dick LeBeau? You're obviously not a spelling genius.
    Posted by Patsfansince1966[/QUOTE]

Your an idiot!!  Who freaking cares?  It's a sports discussion, not a literature paper.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

[QUOTE]Deepest D-line in years?  how so? Not being a d ick here, but I thought we were thin at D-line until Warren came back and sure we have the great R.Brace back and Deaderick, but I wouldnt say we are deep. I would if all those guys could play. Lets be realistic.  This isnt Seymour, Warren and Big Ted. After Vince who is really an impact player.  Warren? the guy who was still on the street a few weeks ago. (I like Warren too, but he isnt special) Big Al, please- just check the Big Al update thread. Kyle Love, nice little player who is filling the gap until Bill finds the next stud lineman...Holds up with blockers but not wowing anyone... Deaderick...i dont know what he is outside.....he looked ok at end in the 3-4 last year and is playing this role for the first time and Brace....Im not expecting much, but he is ok I guess
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

FYA - The last few seasons and even when he was healthy before he left for Oakland, The D line was terrible against the run, and the pass rush?  Nothing!
    I believe the change of scenery either ticked him off at the Pats, or he just felt rejuvenated.  I don't believe he looked at all like the player he had been since he left.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BB Defensive Genius..NOT! : While you are right that the D-line the deep, it is not the best. It was only three years ago that the D-line was Seymour, Wilfork and Ty Warren with Mike Wright and Jarvis Green mixing in. I do not think this is a top 10 run defense. The are middle of the pack in yards per carry. They have a low yards against because teams do not run against them (5th from the bottom in opponent rushing attempts). Not sure what you love about the Red Zone defense either. They are middle of the pack in terms of percentage of TDs allowed in the Red Zone. More importantly they lead the entire NFL in terms of opponent trips into the Red Zone. That leads to them being 20th in overall ppg. That would be their worst ppg ranking in the Belichick era (worse than 2000, 2002 or 2005). 
    Posted by FrnkBnhm[/QUOTE]

I personally get tired of stats, simply because they are always misleading unless you look very deeply.  

It isn't how many points you average giving up, but what IS important is when you give them up, and that goes for the RED ZONE and all else.  If the D gives up 35 and the offense scores 56, the stat could be misleading, and if the D gives up 12 and the Offense scores 14 it is just the same.

The young Brady stayed with the other team whether the score was high or low, and he simply kpet the score close, and being behind was not a problem for him so the stats for that team was meaningless in this realm.  

If you play to the score, all that matters is the final score, but when you are up 49-0 and you feel you need to keep scoring, you are setting yourself up for a huge fall like in the playoffs when the games get tougher and the scoring usually lower.

Stats are for losers - BB and Red Auerbach

My favorite stat was Wade Boggs in the year Joe Morgan, the manager took over and they won about 25 in a row back in the late 80s I believe.

Boggs average 3/4 thru the season or so was 360, unreal, runners in scoring position, 360, wow, and runners in scoring position when a hit or something can change the game, 360 or so, WOW!!!!

Unbelieveable eh?

But in innings 7, 8, & 9 with runners in scoring position with the score within 3 or so or whatever it is with the game on the line at the end of the game?

260, WOW WOW WOW!!!!!  That changes everything and it is also why I never considered Boggs a truly great hitter.

Brady's stats since 07? Off the charts!  Brady's stats in the SB era?  Somewhat better that Sanchez, about 70s or so, and maybe a little better, but with the game on the line late, and especially in the playoffs, I will take this Brady over todays Brady everytime.  The MVP has become a player of the Year award which is all about stats, but the 3 time SB winner was a true 3 time league MVP when it truly counts.