BB Draft Bashers Exposed

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Re: BB Draft Bashers Exposed

In response to RockScully's comment:

If you can rank 5th in the last 10 years and 9th of 32 in the last 5 years, I'd say that's pretty dran good, especially picking in the bottom 5-7 of the 1st rd almost every year.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Whos-been-doing-the-best-job-of-drafting.html

Oh, crusty,

What does the fact that in the past 5 years, that the Pats had a projected rank of first (probably based on the sheer amount of high picks) and ended up 9th, tell you?

It tells me that they drafted a lot of players that started out of necessity but their effectiveness brought the ranking way down.

Notice all the teams that had lower expectations but ranked better than the Pats.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

I told you they are expected first do to the sheer amount of high round picks.  Not hard to understand.

The ineffictive picks have nothing to do with your constant TB bashing.  It has to do with the effectiveness of a team whose majority of their picks were defensive and who still rank in the bottom of the league after turning over the D several times.

It also leaves out players who were injured for most of the season.  Factor them in and it's actually much worse. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frank158. Show Frank158's posts

Like many draft reviews, this is lacking.  It gives the Jets credit for drafting and starting Mark Sanchez.  It also gives more credit for having many picks while neglecting to take it into consideration traded picks for players like Welker who started a whole lot of games for us.  Then it gives the original drafting team credit for bad players like Butler even though he was cut by us, he went and started games for Carolina and Indy because they were desperate at that position.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Well wait a minute!  They have the Pats expected rank as number 1 over five years and yet they rank them number 9 over that period?  This actually suggest the Pats have failed to live up to expectations.  But on the other hand, I agree with Rusty's argument that based on draft position alone, you'd think the expected rank would be lower than number 1.  ( I would have thought something a lot closer to 32nd actually).  This odd discrepancy makes me think the whole article is a load of crappola . . . I wouldn't give much weight to its conclusions one way or the other. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

I'll take BB's drafts and FA moves, thanks very much. As much as you want to believe Tom Brady  is our GM, too, he's not.  A huge reason why this team goes 11+ wins every year is because of BB's work as GM. Period.

He hits more than he misses and his budgeting across the FA market is actually a lot better than people like you think.

If he had a top 10 pick in just ONE more of the drafts in the last 5 years, I'd bet dollars to donuts, NE finished top 5 in that ranking list, not 9th.

BB can't win with fans like you. You'd bash him specifically if this team went 8-8 and missed the playoffs, then you'd be angry if he nailed a number 14 pick overall int he draft and scored some future HOFer, because Brady's "window is closing".

Wake me when Brady shows up at home in the playoffs against a good team.

Is this a tread about draft picks or TB?

Facts are, BB drafted a lot of bad players to replace other bad players he previously drafted.

How many cornerbacks does it take to replace 1 (Samuels)? 8-10?

Rodney?  Seymore? Bru?  Seau?  UGH

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Well wait a minute!  They have the Pats expected rank as number 1 over ten years and yet they rank them number 9 over that period?  This actually suggest the Pats have failed to live up to expectations.  But on the other hand, I agree with Rusty's argument that based on draft position alone, you'd think the expected rank would be lower than number 1.  ( I would have thought something a lot closer to 32nd actually).  This odd discrepancy makes me think the whole article is a load of crappola . . . I wouldn't give much weight to its conclusions one way or the other. 

Like I said, Pro, I think it's the sheer # of picks that rates their expections high,

In some years, they drafted 12-13 players while the rest 6-8.  The chances of them hitting is higher with the increased picks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Well wait a minute!  They have the Pats expected rank as number 1 over ten years and yet they rank them number 9 over that period?  This actually suggest the Pats have failed to live up to expectations.  But on the other hand, I agree with Rusty's argument that based on draft position alone, you'd think the expected rank would be lower than number 1.  ( I would have thought something a lot closer to 32nd actually).  This odd discrepancy makes me think the whole article is a load of crappola . . . I wouldn't give much weight to its conclusions one way or the other. 

What?

Nice, half baked compliment to BB.  Regardless of where NE was irrationally "projected", if the team is slotted in the top 10, considering where they finish record-wise every year, it's a very good spot.

Think about the endless threads on here by the BdBreu, Hurlie, RKarp, Shizzly, Pezzy types who have been totally embarrassed after following Gasper/Mazz/Felger's anti-BB based articles in recent years.

You'd think our GM was awful or average.

I've always said that BB has done a good job with the picks he's had, especially when you take into consideration the salary cap and the need to keep the cost of drafted players within budget.  That doesn't, however, mean that the draft has been a complete success for the Pats.  There's been an awful lot of flotsam and jetsam picked up as well as some real gems. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frank158. Show Frank158's posts

In response to Frank158's comment:

Like many draft reviews, this is lacking.  It gives the Jets credit for drafting and starting Mark Sanchez.  It also gives more credit for having many picks while neglecting to take it into consideration traded picks for players like Welker who started a whole lot of games for us.  Then it gives the original drafting team credit for bad players like Butler even though he was cut by us, he went and started games for Carolina and Indy because they were desperate at that position.

"Credit"? How do you figure it gives the team "credit"?

Explain why you don't like the metrics.

Forgive me.  I thought that since you posted this, you had actually read it.  To quote a recently deceased politician, I can explain it to you, but I can't comprehend it for you.

The Jets get a better rating for drafting Mark Sanchez, him starting from day one in his rookie year.  Sanchez does not deserve to be starting anywhere, yet he has 4 years of starts for a team that had no other legitimate QB.  Regardless of that fact, the Jets draft rating is improved. 

Does that help, smart guy?

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Yeah junior. He's a great drafter. That why we have been winning all these SBs the last 8 years. LMAO@U Learn the game junior.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frank158. Show Frank158's posts

"Credit"? How do you figure it gives the team "credit"?

Explain why you don't like the metrics.

Forgive me.  I thought that since you posted this, you had actually read it.  To quote a recently deceased politician, I can explain it to you, but I can't comprehend it for you.

The Jets get a better rating for drafting Mark Sanchez, him starting from day one in his rookie year.  Sanchez does not deserve to be starting anywhere, yet he has 4 years of starts for a team that had no other legitimate QB.  Regardless of that fact, the Jets draft rating is improved. 

Does that help, smart guy?

Didn't ya hear? Sanchez was progressing well last year per RKarp and he "led" the Jets to back to back "final fours".

lol

I could not care less about who he led to what.  Are you that daft that you don't realize the obvious flaws in your big post?  Why would you cite an article that was so clearly lacking? And then follow that up by not having a clue as to what you posted?  It seems that you are a Jet fan backing the choice of Mark Sanchez as a quality pick. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Yeah junior. He's a great drafter. That why we have been winning all these SBs the last 8 years. LMAO@U Learn the game junior.

The Patriots finished top 4 this year and top 2 last year. That's above average bordering on great.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

The Patriots finished top 4 this year and top 2 last year. That's above average bordering on great.

Well sure, any mediocre team with a HOF QB borders on great. It's the mediocre team part that's the problem.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Well sure, any mediocre team with a HOF QB borders on great. It's the mediocre team part that's the problem.

Oh that's right, one man team. The other 30 or so regulars are just mediocre. Does Brady also block and catch?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Oh that's right, one man team. The other 30 or so regulars are just mediocre. Does Brady also block and catch?

No . . . but nobody else does either . . .

(Just kidding, though some of the drops in the Baltimore game might make you wonder)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

There has been discussion after discussion about BB's drafting prowess.  Based on the overall success of the past decade plus, it's hard to argue with the results.  This team now measures success in terms of superbowl wins, and some of you clearly forget the days when there was little hope to field a winner.  Listen to yourselves some of you and get some perspective in your life. 

Re: Belichick and the drafts, every draft every year isn't gonna be lights out.  The Pats have had good and bad drafts.  Their draft strategy over the years was based on trading back due to salary slotting to manage their cap, and it seems they'll adjust and we'll likely see them keep more of their high picks like last year when they drafted both Jones and Hightower.  You can find successes and failures in that strategy, but like the draft itself, you need to take the long view to call something a success or failure.  

If we take this analysis at face vaue, the Patriots draft in the top 3rd of the league according to National Football Post.  But poor teams get better players and even average players can often start for poor teams, so pushing the NFP methodology aside a bit, I prefer to use on field success as my measure of success.  Drafting is but one part of building a team.  How does NFP the analysis account for this?  It doesn't and can't.  So Arizona drafted better.  But they made one superbowl and lost. 

Listen to yourselves some of you.  You expect BB to be #1 at everything, and anything else is failure by your ridculously high standards that were -- get this -- set by BB himself.  That BB can't replicate the success of the early 2000's is not a surprise.  Spoiled, spoiled, spolied.  Some of you think superbowls grow on trees and you forget that the Pats were a play or two away from two more superbowl wins.  They got there, and they are competitive year in and year out.  Most any franchise in the NFL would gladly take the success NE has had.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Without Brady the roster is average...not bad, just average. Average wont win you anything in this league. I'm trying to imagine how many corners we drafted, signed, traded for and then cut over the last five years....it's mind boggling. The fact that we have had so many draft picks over the last five years and come away with probably four "starters" is nothing to be proud of...neither is wasting the past five years of a hall of fame qb's career.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Without Brady the roster is average...not bad, just average. Average wont win you anything in this league. I'm trying to imagine how many corners we drafted, signed, traded for and then cut over the last five years....it's mind boggling. The fact that we have had so many draft picks over the last five years and come away with probably four "starters" is nothing to be proud of...neither is wasting the past five years of a hall of fame qb's career.

I disagree. The Patriots without Brady are not average. History has proven there are no one man teams in football. In order to win consistently in this league, you must have good players. The Patriots win consistently. They were a couple of bounces away from winning two more super bowls. What more can you realistically expect?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I disagree. The Patriots without Brady are not average. History has proven there are no one man teams in football. In order to win consistently in this league, you must have good players. The Patriots win consistently. They were a couple of bounces away from winning two more super bowls. What more can you realistically expect?

Let's hypothetically say we had to start Sanchez at QB with the roster we have now...how would that look? Would we make the playoffs? Would Sanchez just be able to hand it off to Ridley and play action to Welker for slants? Could he keep up when his defense is going to give up 28 points one way or the other? Would we win the division? If we made the playoffs would we be going on the road for a wildcard game? Would we win it and go on to beat the next team on the road like the Ravens? I think the answer is no to all these questions - to me that is pretty average. I don't think Jerod Mayo is going to go out there and tear up offenses (even though he is being paid like that is what he does...40million dollar cotract). I don't think our offensive line is going to be able to open up the holes needed to sustain a rushing attack that won't be aided by a passing attack. I'm fairly certain that our secondary will continue to give up third down after third down. These are things average teams do.