BB Draft Bashers Exposed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Re: BB Draft Bashers Exposed

In response to RockScully's comment:

If you can rank 5th in the last 10 years and 9th of 32 in the last 5 years, I'd say that's pretty dran good, especially picking in the bottom 5-7 of the 1st rd almost every year.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Whos-been-doing-the-best-job-of-drafting.html

I think being in 6 of the last 12 Super Bowls is the only stat you need, whatever their doing it's working?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to garytx's comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Sanchez is the anomolly in all this.  We're talking about a high profile position where chucks of money are thrown at you.  All teams in the NFL go with that type of a draft pick regardless.  Sanchez isn't the only QB to be thrown out there, to stink up the place and not be replaced.  A poor example here IMHO.

My belief is BB has done a good job.  If you're not getting those impact players at the top of the draft you're going to be lacking in areas.  That's the reason for getting players with some kind of upside.  Doesn't work a lot when you're low in the pecking order.  Why folks here can't see that I don't know. 

Maybe they don't see that because they see tems like the Steelers and Giants winning 25% of the last 8 SBs each with lesser QBs. They must have done something right that BB didn't to achieve greater results and they weren't drafting in the top 10.

Try not rationalizing failure. You'll feel better about yourself.

Let me assure you I don't feel bad about myself at all.  It's you that wrings his hands in matter.  The truth is the Steelers and Giants have had better drafting spots than the Pats.  There are times when these guys don't get into the playoffs and the get into the top 20 picks.  The Pats are continuously at the tail end of the thing.  It could be as many as 15 spots and that's a lot.  The only way they have been able to move up in the draft is by sacrificing that first round draft pick one year to position themselves at a later time.  My only frustration in that was they didn't seem to be able to move up like they did last year.  I wanted JJ Watt pretty bad but I bet the list was long on that one. 

The draft catches up with teams like San Diego, Colts, New Orleans, Pittsburgh and in a way New England.  If it weren't for Tom Brady we would be in with those other teams.  Brees keeps the Saints afloat and of course the Luck pick will keep Indy going but these guys aren't the power houses they once were.  I think you'll see Baltimore fad in the next couple of years.  SF will be the power house for a while because of all those high draft picks they had in the first decade.  It is about where you draft.  The further down the list you go the odds aren't with you.  Teams get lucky every now and then like Brady with the Pats and Cruz with the Giants. 

I can agree that picking higher would give you a better chance at acquiring a better player, but when you look at the number of picks we had in the first and second rounds the amunition was there to move up. Instead we moved back and back and back...pushed the present into the future to come away with guys like Cunningham, Butler, Dowling, Brace, Chung. And as the years unfold, more guys will be exposed as busts, or average at best players - we are watching it right now. We just gave 40 million to Jerod Mayo...Mayo plays most games like he was a third round pick...at his best he plays like a guy that was selected in the late first, but never like a top ten pick. Why the hell did we spend a second round pick on Tavon Wilson? That is a second round selection that did virtually nothing for you at a position of need last year. Dowling was essentially a first round pick - the guy got hurt at his own pro day...his pro day! And we pick him that high? He hasn't gone 35 minutes without getting hurt.

Now all these things happen to most teams and that's fine, it's the draft...it happens. I think Belichick is the best coach in the NFL - as a GM I'd rank him as average, to slightly above average. I can't call him the best GM ever when he squandered oppurtunities and resources the way he has the last three years. Three years ago we were all saying that all the picks he had acquired was shrewd and was going to set us up for years to come...our defense was so bad this season that we had to send a fourth round selection to Tampa for their injury prone known thug...where he would go on to act nice and get hurt. Chandler Jones looks legit, it's just that there were players like him available in previous years and we decided to trade back for value and positional flexibility. All those flexible value guys are on their way out of the league and we are left back at the drawing board. No wonder why our cap situation is so good, none of our drafted defensive players improved to the point where we would have to pay them. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:

BB is the greatest coach and GM ever. There are some who just don't like him and will be critical of everything that goes wrong. The type that will say brady stinks because he throws one incompletion. Once Belichick leaves they will learn.

no he is not

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

BB is the greatest coach and GM ever. There are some who just don't like him and will be critical of everything that goes wrong. The type that will say brady stinks because he throws one incompletion. Once Belichick leaves they will learn.

Brilliant post ! Cutting edge analysis. Let me get this straight - BB is greatest coach and greatest GM ever. Plus PATS have Brady, a top 3 QB of all time.  = 0 SB wins in past 8 years. MAKES SENSE TO ME.

BB simply doesn't know how to field a top 10 defense. The D was terrible again last year. Posters keep using the excuse that the PATS draft position hinders the quality of their draft. Then why in the past several years, with few exceptions, have the Ravens and Steelers maintained respectable D's ? They also were drafting  late in draft rounds.    

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Sanchez is the anomolly in all this.  We're talking about a high profile position where chucks of money are thrown at you.  All teams in the NFL go with that type of a draft pick regardless.  Sanchez isn't the only QB to be thrown out there, to stink up the place and not be replaced.  A poor example here IMHO.

My belief is BB has done a good job.  If you're not getting those impact players at the top of the draft you're going to be lacking in areas.  That's the reason for getting players with some kind of upside.  Doesn't work a lot when you're low in the pecking order.  Why folks here can't see that I don't know. 

Maybe they don't see that because they see tems like the Steelers and Giants winning 25% of the last 8 SBs each with lesser QBs. They must have done something right that BB didn't to achieve greater results and they weren't drafting in the top 10.

Let me assure you I don't feel bad about myself at all.  It's you that wrings his hands in matter.  The truth is the Steelers and Giants have had better drafting spots than the Pats.  There are times when these guys don't get into the playoffs and the get into the top 20 picks.  The Pats are continuously at the tail end of the thing.  It could be as many as 15 spots and that's a lot.  The only way they have been able to move up in the draft is by sacrificing that first round draft pick one year to position themselves at a later time.  My only frustration in that was they didn't seem to be able to move up like they did last year.  I wanted JJ Watt pretty bad but I bet the list was long on that one. 

The draft catches up with teams like San Diego, Colts, New Orleans, Pittsburgh and in a way New England.  If it weren't for Tom Brady we would be in with those other teams.  Brees keeps the Saints afloat and of course the Luck pick will keep Indy going but these guys aren't the power houses they once were.  I think you'll see Baltimore fad in the next couple of years.  SF will be the power house for a while because of all those high draft picks they had in the first decade.  It is about where you draft.  The further down the list you go the odds aren't with you.  Teams get lucky every now and then like Brady with the Pats and Cruz with the Giants. 

I can agree that picking higher would give you a better chance at acquiring a better player, but when you look at the number of picks we had in the first and second rounds the amunition was there to move up. Instead we moved back and back and back...pushed the present into the future to come away with guys like Cunningham, Butler, Dowling, Brace, Chung. And as the years unfold, more guys will be exposed as busts, or average at best players - we are watching it right now. We just gave 40 million to Jerod Mayo...Mayo plays most games like he was a third round pick...at his best he plays like a guy that was selected in the late first, but never like a top ten pick. Why the hell did we spend a second round pick on Tavon Wilson? That is a second round selection that did virtually nothing for you at a position of need last year. Dowling was essentially a first round pick - the guy got hurt at his own pro day...his pro day! And we pick him that high? He hasn't gone 35 minutes without getting hurt.

Now all these things happen to most teams and that's fine, it's the draft...it happens. I think Belichick is the best coach in the NFL - as a GM I'd rank him as average, to slightly above average. I can't call him the best GM ever when he squandered oppurtunities and resources the way he has the last three years. Three years ago we were all saying that all the picks he had acquired was shrewd and was going to set us up for years to come...our defense was so bad this season that we had to send a fourth round selection to Tampa for their injury prone known thug...where he would go on to act nice and get hurt. Chandler Jones looks legit, it's just that there were players like him available in previous years and we decided to trade back for value and positional flexibility. All those flexible value guys are on their way out of the league and we are left back at the drawing board. No wonder why our cap situation is so good, none of our drafted defensive players improved to the point where we would have to pay them. 

You name the busts that are frustrating.  The trade downs really did get old after a while.  Thank God for the first round last year.  However, out of the names you mention Chung was called a good pick and a desired one at the time.  Rash-I was a gamble and I think everyone knew that.  If it paid off, wow!  But it hasn't and who's to say that he won't?  I know it doesn't look good but it ain't over tell it's over. 

Here's my hang up on all of this.  BB is a poor talent evaluator based on what?  Compared to whom?  The article gives us a baseline of sorts.  You can change this and that but it would probably even out in the end.  BB ain't the greatest but he's far from the worst. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

There has been discussion after discussion about BB's drafting prowess.  Based on the overall success of the past decade plus, it's hard to argue with the results.  This team now measures success in terms of superbowl wins, and some of you clearly forget the days when there was little hope to field a winner.  Listen to yourselves some of you and get some perspective in your life. 

Re: Belichick and the drafts, every draft every year isn't gonna be lights out.  The Pats have had good and bad drafts.  Their draft strategy over the years was based on trading back due to salary slotting to manage their cap, and it seems they'll adjust and we'll likely see them keep more of their high picks like last year when they drafted both Jones and Hightower.  You can find successes and failures in that strategy, but like the draft itself, you need to take the long view to call something a success or failure.  

If we take this analysis at face vaue, the Patriots draft in the top 3rd of the league according to National Football Post.  But poor teams get better players and even average players can often start for poor teams, so pushing the NFP methodology aside a bit, I prefer to use on field success as my measure of success.  Drafting is but one part of building a team.  How does NFP the analysis account for this?  It doesn't and can't.  So Arizona drafted better.  But they made one superbowl and lost. 

Listen to yourselves some of you.  You expect BB to be #1 at everything, and anything else is failure by your ridculously high standards that were -- get this -- set by BB himself.  That BB can't replicate the success of the early 2000's is not a surprise.  Spoiled, spoiled, spolied.  Some of you think superbowls grow on trees and you forget that the Pats were a play or two away from two more superbowl wins.  They got there, and they are competitive year in and year out.  Most any franchise in the NFL would gladly take the success NE has had.  

This rational, reasoned analysis along with the other voices of reason who have posted here have no business being on this thread. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Sorry folks, I am with Rusty on this one.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

You name the busts that are frustrating.  The trade downs really did get old after a while.  Thank God for the first round last year.  However, out of the names you mention Chung was called a good pick and a desired one at the time.  Rash-I was a gamble and I think everyone knew that.  If it paid off, wow!  But it hasn't and who's to say that he won't?  I know it doesn't look good but it ain't over tell it's over. 

Here's my hang up on all of this.  BB is a poor talent evaluator based on what?  Compared to whom?  The article gives us a baseline of sorts.  You can change this and that but it would probably even out in the end.  BB ain't the greatest but he's far from the worst. 

I agree with everything you are saying - Bill does know what a good football player looks like, the draft is a gamble that can make one look smart (or stupid rather quickly). Here is the problem I have - there were players available at where we were picking at the time that could of helped the team. Or if you want to get a little crazy, there were players available not too far ahead of us that we had more than enough amunition to move up and get. 

The thing that bothers me over that three to five year period is that we fell in love with the deal..the trade...getting quantity...getting the best of the trade...value...pushing the present into the future...wait till next year. I think too many times they were trading out of their spot. I believe they thought the guy they wanted all along would still be there and if not a guy they had rated perhaps a little lower would. I think we ended up with the lower rated guy too many times and it hurt our second round selections - but that was alright in theory because we had picked up extra picks for next year...only to do the same thing over again.

Hey whatever, it doesn't matter, it's the draft and mistakes happen to every single team. I think Belichick is the best coach in the league and a guy that knows talent, I just think he fell in love with making deals...getting the better of them...and I think it didn't work out. I think they took a much different approach this last draft. I think they'll take a different approach to free agency too. I don't think you'll see them sign Fenene again or have a Dashon Goldson sitting in his office only to low ball him, because it costs more in the long run and you end up having to watch balls go over Steven Gregory's head in the biggest games of the year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

In response to Muzwell's comment:

BB's first round picks: Seymour, Graham, Warren, Wilfork, Watson, Mankins, Maroney, Meriweather, Mayo, McCourty, Solder, Jones and Hightower. All but Warren and Maroney still in the league.  Not bad.

You think "still in the league" for a 1st round pick is good drafting? Five of those 13 were/are good.

By my count, 10 were/are "good." Guess it's in the eye of the beholder.  By the way, about 40 percent of the Pats roster was drafted by the Pats. So being generous, I'll say the draft is about half of the team building equation.  Frankly, after the first round it might as well be a lottery.  

LOL. Yeah, the Chiefs built a team too. Everybody has built a team. The question remains how good a team BB has built other than having a HOF QB to bolster the image.

My use of "good" means a good pick for the round. In my beholding simply getting a starter in the 1st round isn't a good performance. That is where you are apt to find your standouts or stars.

Of... Seymour, Graham, Warren, Wilfork, Watson, Mankins, Maroney, Meriweather, Mayo, McCourty, Solder, Jones and Hightower.

Only Seymour, Wilfork, Mankins, Mayo and perhaps Solder can be called good picks based on results or results so far. (Some might argue even about a couple of those being good picks) Any other assessment is simply homerism driven. Being objective is essential if we don't want to kid ourselves.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to jimmytantric's comment:

In response to RockScully's comment:

If you can rank 5th in the last 10 years and 9th of 32 in the last 5 years, I'd say that's pretty dran good, especially picking in the bottom 5-7 of the 1st rd almost every year.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Whos-been-doing-the-best-job-of-drafting.html

I think being in 6 of the last 12 Super Bowls is the only stat you need, whatever their doing it's working?

Yeah. Telling Brady "go play QB" has been working pretty well. Too bad the team built around him isn't the much better it could have been sans all the poor decisions or the success would have been much greater.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

So, if Samuels makes that interception in 2007 and Welker catches that pass in 2011 then Belichick would be a great GM. I see your logic!

No. If those plays are made he's a good enough GM to have put just enough around Brady to get it done a couple times in nearly a decade. When the team around Brady was bolstered by a number of non BB players they were a dynasty and won 3 out of 4!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Not nearly as much as they will learn when Brady goes. After all, the facts show us BB has had a very mundane recored without Brady.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Really folks, is there anybody out there in the real world that is still clinging to the fable that BB is a great team builder?

I don't see it. All I see is a bunch of homers clinging by their fingernails to a debunked notion.

As I have said for years, he inherited a core of outstanding players, added a couple of his own and got lucky finding a HOF QB in the 6th round. As time passed and that core he inherited got old the team morphed into just another 21 guys and a great QB.

Great coach, but great GM? Hell no. Ridiculous.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I agree on some points made here. Bb has built and maintained something special Here. No franchise in the history of the nfl has had this type of sustained winning. Whether its on the back of brady or not is hard to prove. There are many good players on this team, and football is the ultimate team sport.

bb has drafted many good players and has whiffed on Many as well. In this category, bb the GM to me is just a bit above average. I have said it many times...no team in the nfl has made  as many picks in rounds 1-3 since 2006 as the Pats. 7 key rebuilding years and for the defense in particular  it has been mediocre. for the last 5 years we have been talking about the secondary and we head into this offseason with some of the same concerns. A lot has been added to this defense, 14 picks in rounds 1-3 since 2006, and countless udfa and late rounders as well. Every level of the defense stlll needs to be addressed. If bb was average, 7 of those 14 would stick and contribute. 50% seems to be about average. I would argue that given his picks were premium picks (rounds 1-3), his hit rate here should be a bit higher than 50%, because you have a higher probability of hitting than on late rounders. Also, given he is credited with being a defensive genius, I would assume this should also influence his success rate? 

so, given the above any guesses on how bb has faired Since 2006 on defense with these premium picks? ....answer to come

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Really folks, is there anybody out there in the real world that is still clinging to the fable that BB is a great team builder?

I don't see it. All I see is a bunch of homers clinging by their fingernails to a debunked notion.

As I have said for years, he inherited a core of outstanding players, added a couple of his own and got lucky finding a HOF QB in the 6th round. As time passed and that core he inherited got old the team morphed into just another 21 guys and a great QB.

Name me one GM from ANY team that has put his team in the SB 6 out of 12 years and has 3 rings? Give me a break-try picking football players that are 20-22 years old and nail it every time-it's a crapshoot-get real-really?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Name me one GM from ANY team that has put his team in the SB 6 out of 12 years and has 3 rings? Give me a break-try picking football players that are 20-22 years old and nail it every time-it's a crapshoot-get real-really?

name me another gm with tom brady-who he got lucky with-and who plays in the perrenially weakest division in football for a decade?

of course when that gm learned from bill parcells and george young ur off to a good start

and its 5 not 6

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

Don't understand the "logic" of drafting position at all. So what if they draft 28-32? They STILL have one of the top 32 picks in the flippin' country! And, sorry, NO ONE'S gonna tell me that the draft talent comes to an abrupt stop after, say, the first 22 picks arte off the board (1 player per position, offense and defense). If that was true, where's the ongoing/continual (by at least 75% of all posters) criticism of BB every year? Seems to me that if they can't draft 'em to WIN a Super Bowl, and the limited FA's they do bring in are tossed into the "yound and learning" category year in and year out, they'd have lower draft position.

We've seen BB trade away high picks for multiple/lower picks in current and future drafts, then trade away other high picks the next year. Honestly, what self professed genius would still rather NOT have Clay Matthews on this team, in a know position that even Stevie Wonder could see needed shoring up? That trade brillance still hasn't panned out, and was a golden opportunity missed.

I feel the way about the Pats draft as I do the regular season: don't care who they draft (or beat), as they'll get one in teh 28-32 range (will win 10-12 games), and fall short of getting a solid franchise type player (won't win the SB because they can't regularly beat winning teams in the regular season). I can read about it in the paper. But, teh one good thing abiut the draft is that, FINALLY, Welker won't and can't get the blame for a draft gone bad by dropping a ball.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

name me another gm with tom brady-who he got lucky with-and who plays in the perrenially weakest division in football for a decade?

of course when that gm learned from bill parcells and george young ur off to a good start

and its 5 not 6

Jets went to the AFC Championship 2 years - I don't think the AFC East is the weakest division--Remember a couple of years ago the Seahawks went to the playoffs as an 8-8 or 7-9? Division winner--give me a break--I can think of couple of Divisions I'd rather have the Pats play in!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Being a GM is as much about managing money as it is drafting players.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Exactly...he is cap masterful but just better than average drafting.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

Yeah junior. He's a great drafter. That why we have been winning all these SBs the last 8 years. LMAO@U Learn the game junior.

The Patriots finished top 4 this year and top 2 last year. That's above average bordering on great.

Well sure, any mediocre team with a HOF QB borders on great. It's the mediocre team part that's the problem.

Sorry Babe you can't have it both ways.

Either TB is the team and gets all the credit as you always want to suggest or he doesn't. 

If he does then he gets all the blame when the offense falls on its face in the post season.

I am not arguing either way but you always try to play this from both sides. That does not fly.

You and your junior are the opposite sides of the same coin.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

no he is not

It says "AND" , now I have no idea of his actually meaning he wanted to imply but if he did indeed mean he is the greatest combo ever. Who would be better?

Not saying there aren't others just wondering your opinion since I am not aware of all that have had that situation.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

So how do you explain the the 2007 season? How many players were on that roster that BB was not responsible for? 3?