BB Hires Draft Consultant?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

BB Hires Draft Consultant?

This is something that I and several others here have suggested for the past five years. Is Mike Lombardi that man? http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/19/mike-lombardi-headed-to-indy-with-group-from-patriots/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: BB Hires Draft Consultant?

In response to TexasPat's comment:

This is something that I and several others here have suggested for the past five years. Is Mike Lombardi that man? http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/19/mike-lombardi-headed-to-indy-with-group-from-patriots/

I wonder if BB conceded the help or did Kraft ask him to get help?

Also, Unless Lombardi was responsible for getting Flash Gordon in the supplemental draft, I dont think he can help us. He can def. help BB with his free agent pickups which have been Horrid.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

It will now be particularly interesting to read everyone's reactions in this forum post-draft this year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

This is a needed move - when reports were leaked after the last draft that Beilichick overruled his scouting department and selected Harmon - it has never been more obvious that he needs someone in that room to stand up to him. Now I understand coaches and scouts don't always agree, but this a guy who was one year removed from reaching on Tavon Wilson...then he went against scout's opinions and selected another safety at a spot they obviously didn't feel he should of went. 

I watched "a football life" on Belichick, I saw him sit there at the head of a table talking about his receivers...he was the only person talking...he would say something and no one would reply, then he'd answer it and say something else. I can't imagine that's the way it was when Charlie Weis was here...I imagine the conversations are pretty one sided in that draft room too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

It will now be particularly interesting to read everyone's reactions in this forum post-draft this year.

Many will still think the Pats missed out on someone.  Just because a player is highly regarded by some fans with whatever knowledge they have does not mean the team thinks the same way.  But, these same fans will question why the team did not think like them.  Right?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

This is a needed move - when reports were leaked after the last draft that Beilichick overruled his scouting department and selected Harmon - it has never been more obvious that he needs someone in that room to stand up to him. Now I understand coaches and scouts don't always agree, but this a guy who was one year removed from reaching on Tavon Wilson...then he went against scout's opinions and selected another safety at a spot they obviously didn't feel he should of went. 

RESPONSE: Heck...it was much worse than just Harmon and Tavon Wilson. Don't forget that BB also signed UFA safety Adrian Wilson last year, and drafted safeties Patrick Chung (34th overall pick in 2009) and Brandon Meriweather (24th overall pick in 2007). YUCK!!! 

I watched "a football life" on Belichick, I saw him sit there at the head of a table talking about his receivers...he was the only person talking...he would say something and no one would reply, then he'd answer it and say something else. I can't imagine that's the way it was when Charlie Weis was here...I imagine the conversations are pretty one sided in that draft room too.

RESPONSE: True...though from what I've read, BB used to listen to Scott Pioli. Hiring a consultant is one thing, but listening to the consultant is another. At least there's hope. Aside from the Tavon Wilson disaster (48th overall) and Jake Bequette (90th overall), BB had a good draft in 2012. In 2013, BB made an excellent trade-down with Minnesota, and appears to have scored with OLB Jamie Collins (52nd overall pick). But then there was the Harmon pick at #91 overall. The jury is still out on CB Logan Ryan, and WRs Dobson and Boyce.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

Many will still think the Pats missed out on someone.  Just because a player is highly regarded by some fans with whatever knowledge they have does not mean the team thinks the same way.  But, these same fans will question why the team did not think like them.  Right?

Of course.  Hey it's fun to create mock drafts and second-guess BB and his picks.  It's hilarious, however, when people actually start foaming at the mouth over a 3rd round pick who was chosen late in that round. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Most GM's would have been fired by now if they continually made afc championships and super bowls....oh wait, most GM's have been fired because they didn't. 

BB is an idiot because he only hires "yes men" after all of his coordinators were plucked for other teams. He should have brought in Tom Coughlin, Bill Cowher and John Gruden, they were all available. 

BB needs to go after high priced FA's it's been proven that the more of them you have the more super bowls you win.

BB needs to stay away from failures like Moss, Gronk, Adalius,  Corey Dillion, Hernadez, Mayo, DMC, Volmer, Mankins, Wilfork, Light, Ridley, Vareen, Spikes, Hightower, chandler, Nink, Brady, Talib, Dennard, Ryan, Harmon, Tommy Kelly.

He needs to sign stud guys like dashon goldson, red Bryant, Mario Williams, cortland finnegan, julius peppers, peyton manning....

BB needs to bring in a general manager who doesn't suck like he does. He should be more like the saints, giants, steelers, ravens, packers, colts, broncos(they "Go For It") they all make the playoffs every year unlike us and give their teams the best chance to win because they draft superior players.

I mean look at them! Domination! The Giants and Ravens haven't missed a draft pick in 3 years and their records show it. Colts make genius moves like tanking an entire season and getting Andrew Luck... The Broncos win the peyton manning sweep stakes...expert GM work! Saints just cut 4 players at 25 million and still can't sign jimmy graham but they will cut a few more and get it done!

We shouod be bitter Pats fans...bitter! This Belichick guy doesn't talk to the media and hasn't done a thing without Parcells. We've been in dark times and it will only get worse. Let's just hope the Red Sox can break their 96 year world series drought soon, and maybe the Bruins can make the playoffs...doubtful

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I'm pretty sure the Patriots are like all teams and use a scouting service as far as drafting info goes as well as their own judgement. BB has the final say because he has to coach the guys they draft. Is he right all the time? Nope! I will tell you this though he's a master of finding UDFA's, so maybe he gets the expensive players wrong, but when it comes to the cheap guys he's way above average. Last years team had 14 UDFA's on it. Or roughly 30% of the roster. Harmon was actually very productive last year and showed a knack for being around the ball. As for Wilson he's been a core Special teams player since day one. Jamie Collins, Ryan Logan, Aaron Dobson, Josh Boyce all contributed to last years outstanding season.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

I'm pretty sure the Patriots are like all teams and use a scouting service as far as drafting info goes

I believe 3 NFL teams stand alone on scouting, and the Pats are one of them. I know we used to be that way and probably are still. Sounds very BB.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

I'm pretty sure the Patriots are like all teams and use a scouting service as far as drafting info goes as well as their own judgement. BB has the final say because he has to coach the guys they draft. Is he right all the time? Nope! I will tell you this though he's a master of finding UDFA's, so maybe he gets the expensive players wrong, but when it comes to the cheap guys he's way above average. Last years team had 14 UDFA's on it. Or roughly 30% of the roster. Harmon was actually very productive last year and showed a knack for being around the ball. As for Wilson he's been a core Special teams player since day one. Jamie Collins, Ryan Logan, Aaron Dobson, Josh Boyce all contributed to last years outstanding season.

fyi, all teams have successfull UDFA"s EVERY year. It happens every year because..... There are more than 232 players coming out of college yearly that can play. The NFL used to be MORE rounds. Just because you take away rounds and call them undrafted, doesnt make them any worse players. It just means the NFL gets to have 20% of the Players making peanuts yet still contributing for a few years. SO yea...Benny, and all the others are no different than the many teams and success stories across the league. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt in that you probably read someone here saying how great BB was at finding gems and then use that an excuse to give him passes on the high misses...well its a farce.

EVERY TEAM signs Undrafted free agents every year and Benny aint even one of the best.

Kurt Warner, Wayne Chrebet, Tony Romo, Jeff Saturday, London Fletcher, Preist Holmes, Rod Smith, Adam V,  Arian Foster, Wes Welker, Brian Waters, James Harrison, Antonio Gates, John Randle, to name a few. 

BB would be somewhere on the list of coaches who found gems but he wouldnt be anywhere near the top. His claim to Fame is Brady.

This is one of those "Homer lies" they try to sneak in and hope noone watches other NFL teams... lol

Just like 80% of the clowns that said Carrol had all 1st round picks on his D when only Earl Thomas was picked in the 1st. Noone wanted to believe a Chump like Carrol could rebuild a great secondary in 2 years without having the pick of the litter. Here is something to help. BB is an average G.M. He is a great coach. Dont make him more than what he is. Lombardi coming aboard should tell you something.

Having 14 free agents means your Picks S*CKED dude!  How many of them played??  We had 3rd round scrubs who couldnt get playing time (Bequette, Harmon)

Sudfeld was released remember. C.Jones and Vellano didnt play much AFTER BB went and got OTHER TEAMS depth (Soap, Siliga)  cmon man.

Harmon only came in for a few snaps at a time. Only due to injury but for the record he looked better than Gregory yes, but not saying much.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

In response to HeygangLH's comment:

His ego is too big. Never happen. You guys will go 12 and 4, or 11 and 5, or 9 and 6 and fail in the playoffs again.

It's the same old song with a few new lines.

Brady's age and BB's ego are not a good combination.

hate to say it but you are probably right. he can coach but is in over his head when it comes to the draft. hes hit on several oicks but missed on many more including some completely off the wall picks like tavon wilson.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

In response to mellymel2's comment:

Lombardi is in Indy with the Pats crew...he's a part of the team....It cannot hurt, and he's insurance for the inevitable departure of Casserio.

That is something Reach Around Rusty would say,  word for word.  Either you are Reach Around Rusty and just got caught again or you want to be like Reach Around Rusty so bad that you really are starting to sound and think like him.  I don't know which is worse.  My guess is you and him are the same.

Caught again RUST-CHISE!

Bwahahahahahahaha!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

Of course.  Hey it's fun to create mock drafts and second-guess BB and his picks.  It's hilarious, however, when people actually start foaming at the mouth over a 3rd round pick who was chosen late in that round. 

Yeah...and it's hilarious seeing the Patriots grow old, and unable to win in the playoffs against the Jets, Ravens, Broncos, and Giants...because their defense is awful. Yeah, why bother with "a late 3rd round pick"...even if it is a top 100 pick. Might as well just pass on the pick. Right, ATJ??  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

I wonder if BB conceded the help or did Kraft ask him to get help?

Also, Unless Lombardi was responsible for getting Flash Gordon in the supplemental draft, I dont think he can help us. He can def. help BB with his free agent pickups which have been Horrid.

Kraft probably told Billy that enough was enough.  If he wasn't going to listen to the scout guys then he needed to get someone who he would listen to. 

Wasn't Lombardi helping Billy a few years ago?  And still no quality WR', CB's, S, or RB's we drafted.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to the-redsox-rule's comment:

hate to say it but you are probably right. he can coach but is in over his head when it comes to the draft. hes hit on several oicks but missed on many more including some completely off the wall picks like tavon wilson.

Take a look at the 2012 draft, http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2012/draft.htm Who would you have taken instead?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

Most GM's would have been fired by now if they continually made afc championships and super bowls....oh wait, most GM's have been fired because they didn't. 

BB is an idiot because he only hires "yes men" after all of his coordinators were plucked for other teams. He should have brought in Tom Coughlin, Bill Cowher and John Gruden, they were all available. 

BB needs to go after high priced FA's it's been proven that the more of them you have the more super bowls you win.

BB needs to stay away from failures like Moss, Gronk, Adalius,  Corey Dillion, Hernadez, Mayo, DMC, Volmer, Mankins, Wilfork, Light, Ridley, Vareen, Spikes, Hightower, chandler, Nink, Brady, Talib, Dennard, Ryan, Harmon, Tommy Kelly.

He needs to sign stud guys like dashon goldson, red Bryant, Mario Williams, cortland finnegan, julius peppers, peyton manning....

BB needs to bring in a general manager who doesn't suck like he does. He should be more like the saints, giants, steelers, ravens, packers, colts, broncos(they "Go For It") they all make the playoffs every year unlike us and give their teams the best chance to win because they draft superior players.

I mean look at them! Domination! The Giants and Ravens haven't missed a draft pick in 3 years and their records show it. Colts make genius moves like tanking an entire season and getting Andrew Luck... The Broncos win the peyton manning sweep stakes...expert GM work! Saints just cut 4 players at 25 million and still can't sign jimmy graham but they will cut a few more and get it done!

We shouod be bitter Pats fans...bitter! This Belichick guy doesn't talk to the media and hasn't done a thing without Parcells. We've been in dark times and it will only get worse. Let's just hope the Red Sox can break their 96 year world series drought soon, and maybe the Bruins can make the playoffs...doubtful

I don't think most GMs would be fired for continually making the AFC championship game, after all it's why our's still has a job thanks to the coach and QB. I do think every other GM would be fired if they brought in this gigantic pile of hot trash though...

Jonathan Fanene

Albert Haynesworth

Trevor Scott

Shaun Ellis

Ron Brace

Armstead

Kelly

Mike Wright

Myron Pryor

Tully Banta Cain

Adalious Thomas

Derick Burgess

Stallworth part ll

Gaffney part ll

Gonzalez mr. Concussion

Brandon Tate

Taylor Price

Llyod

Amendola

Torry Holt

Joey Galloway

Jenkins aka molasses

Schiancoe

Fells

Hernandez - lets face it, right or wrong no GM would survive giving a 45 million dollar deal to a serial killer

Leigh Bodden

Shawn Springs

Delta O'Neil

Adrian Wilson

Tavon Wilson

Butler

Wheatley

Whilite

Rasi Dowling

McGowan

Jon Lynch

Steven Gregory

Fred Taylor

Joseph Addai

Robert Gallery

Bill Belichick put on a clinic on how NOT to sign free agents, it was only a matter of time before the owner had to step in truechamp.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

In response to the-redsox-rule's comment:

Take a look at the 2012 draft, http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2012/draft.htmWho would you have taken instead?

Interesting Digger, I went through the rest of the the 2nd and the 3rd and no one really JUMPS off the page, at least on D anyway

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

In response to mellymel2's comment:

BUST-CHISE!!!!!!

I see the meltdown continues for you...enjoy

And also enjoy the new roun d of stories about your exs-NY Jets boyfriend, KERRY RHODES, the gay Strong Safety...from a pro footballer to cats is a real change...playa

Gross dude, keep your Dad's honeymoon picture off of here.  Pleas don't post anymore pictures of your 2 Dad's on here.  Aren't you and you little pancake, Rusty, embarrassed enough from yesterday? 

RUST-CHISE!

I know you aren't very bright but I'm not a Jets or Giants fan.  So please stop subjecting everyone here from your paranoia.  

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

oh boy now how will Russ justify the "greatest" GM in the history of the known universe hiring someone to help him draft?

Sections
Shortcuts